PDA

View Full Version : Using Foam Curlers on Long Hair (ends only)

Madora
August 2nd, 2014, 02:03 PM
This is being written in response to MissPetite2010's query (7/28/14) re: using foam rollers.

For best results, start early in the day (8AM) so your dampened hair will have plenty of time to dry and curl.

1 Detangle hair and braid it 3/4ths of the way down. (If braid waves are desired, you can dampen all your hair).

2 Secure the tassle with a hair friendly elastic or clip with a barrette..or tie off w/ribbon.

3 Comb out the tassle and dampen it slightly. Divide tassle in as many sections as you want curls. Do not put a lot of hair in one curler.

4 Roll up each section gently. Be sure not to start your rolling too close to the edge (to prevent stray strands from catching in the thingie that holds the curler on).

5 Roll up the hair for 3 or 4 turns, then secure with the curler clamp that came with the curler

6 Leave in overnight. Take out next day...but be careful when unrolling the curl! Do it slowly! Personally, I always comb out curls.

Special note: To keep the curlers on, I use a fabric wrapped elastic to hold the curler together (I'm a restless sleeper).

Here's a picture of the process - my curls didn't turn out all that great..but you get my drift:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/8214FoamRollersonLongHairpanel_edited-1.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/8214FoamRollersonLongHairpanel_edited-1.jpg.html)

lunalocks
August 2nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
Just yesterday I used 2 blue foam tubes and curled the last 6 to 8 inches of hair while the rest was up in a bun (one that does not cause bun bumps) and I ended up with smooth hair and curls on the ends that masked my thinnish ends and gave the impression of an even hemline. I am in love with this method and will be doing it from time to time for special events. It will be a nice change as I have worn my hair up every day for the past 6 months. But not too often as I don't want to damage my fragile ends.

I left mine in for about 4 hours. I finger combed so that the curls would stay curls.

It had been so long since the last time I wore my hair down, it felt very, VERY long. (but not as long as your hair, dear Madora).

SongofLove
August 2nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Oh wow, Madora! That looks beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial! I've always admired the look of curled ends on long hair :)

Just yesterday I used 2 blue foam tubes and curled the last 6 to 8 inches of hair while the rest was up in a bun (one that does not cause bun bumps) and I ended up with smooth hair and curls on the ends that masked my thinnish ends and gave the impression of an even hemline.

Really!! Oooh, I gotta try this then! I hate getting haircuts so I like to let my ends fairytale, but I feel like most non-LHC people don't "get" fairytale ends so this sounds like a really nice way to dress up ends for special occasions :)

Madora
August 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Very interesting, lunalocks. What was the diameter of your blue foam tubes? I'm really amazed that you were able to curl the last 6 to 8 inches of your hair and only left it in for 4 hours..and had good curls when you finished.

I rarely ever wear my hair down but wanted to see if my old curling method still worked. Current result: not so hot. Really worked better when my hair was shorter. Could have been the diameter of the curler too. The ones I used were about the diameter of a nickel. I think larger (silver dollar size) ones are much better for my hair. Combing out the curls is a real exercise in patience! I think I'm going to try Torrin Paige's heatless rag curlers next time and see if the combed out results look any better.

StellaKatherine
August 2nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
Happy to see your braid Madora! Stunning! I haven't had my hair curled for a long time now, my hair get some very nice waves from the braids and I like the idea of curling just some part of the length ! :flower:

lunalocks
August 2nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
My blue tube diameter is 3/4 inch. The diameter of my hair at the last 6 inches point is about 1.25 to 1 inch. I divided that in 2 and gently rolled up. You look like you have 3 or more times the thickness of my hair! I used a little water. The house was dry and hot (low 80s) so I am sure that made it dry faster. I was surprised by how well the curl stayed in - for hours without falling out. Usually, when I curl my whole head, the curl lapses into soft waves within an hour or 2.

Songoflove - this is it exactly. I am in no trimming mode to get length but for the last year have been almost embarrassed to wear my hair down due to the thinning. I think this will get me through to classic where I hope (unless I catch the grow it to knee bug) and thicken up those ends. Except, now I want classic with ends curled. That's my new goal, and about 3 or 4 inches longer than I had anticipated. oh, well.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM
One caution: I find that foam curlers suck all the moisture right out of my hair, then my ends get all splitty and lighter in color.

lunalocks
August 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
The blue foam tubes are pretty dense. But I do notice more damage after I have used them (tho this was after using them on my whole head, rolling hair all the way up and the ends getting mashed in the very center.) I may limit myself to 3 or 4 times a year, which is many more times wearing my hair down than in the past year.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2014, 04:06 PM
I limit use to before a scheduled trim.

embee
August 3rd, 2014, 06:48 AM
When I was young I used to do this kind of thing to curl my hair - I'd just curl the ends because my hair is stick straight (popular now but I didn't like it in the 1960s!) :D I used to make several sections with the foam curlers at the ends. Pity the curls didn't stay long, but I was in a very humid environment and aircon wasn't ubiquitous then. I had to be very careful with the dampness on my hair before I rolled the ends - too damp and it would "never" dry. How irritating to have some stick straight sections among the curls!

Madora
August 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
SongofLove and StellaKatherine, thanks for your kind words!

lunalocks..thanks for the info on your blue tube curlers. Do you have a brand name for them? I'm kinda curious to see what they look like.

embee..a certain part of my hair just seems to poop out when it comes to holding a decent curl. As you mentioned, moistening the hair properly makes a huge difference in how the curl "takes". I'm always afraid I'm using too much spray when I dampen my hair. Invariably one curl comes out anemic and limp, while the others are perfectly springy.

MissPetite2010
August 19th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Thank you for posting. :) Just now checked it out. Haven't been on in a few days...