PDA

View Full Version : Military ladies?? Strict hair standards & growing!

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 05:36 PM
Any other military ladies (whatever branch is fine, I don't discriminate!) out there? I couldn't find any threads about the difficulties of growing hair and the struggles of having to stay in regulations and follow the rules. Just a shot in the dark to see if I'm the only one.

Also, if you aren't military, do you work somewhere with strict hair standards? How do you handle damage or wear you hair during work hours?

Sarahlabyrinth
August 1st, 2014, 05:44 PM
I wasn't military but worked in the food industry and had to have hair covered at all times at work, we had to wear a thin papery kind of cover which was most unflattering and looked like a shower cap. We could have any kind of style underneath it though, as long as it was covered.

chelsea89ms
August 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM
I was in the army for 4 years. I used to wear a satin bonnet/cap under my helmet that matched my hair. It didn't make my helmet any less stable, I did it all the time for jumps and road marches. As for your cap you can try to line it in matching satin if you can sew or see if a taylor can do it for you. The head gear I had to wear was the most damaging part but I got away with wearing a lightly oiled bun to work everyday and that helped. Good luck and thank you for your service!

chelsea89ms
August 1st, 2014, 06:16 PM
Oh I just looked at your length realized that your probably having a hard time keeping it up. I have seen many bun styles braids, twists ect. As long as its neat, off the collar and not a ponytail it should be within regulation. Maybe this thread will help you find something that will work http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82713

feel free to contact me if you have any questions:blossom:

synchrostatic
August 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM
This thread should be interesting, because I was literally wondering about this yesterday.

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks chelsea for getting back to me! I JUST like, last week can wear it in a sock bun again, but I'm worried about the damage I might get from wearing it up so tightly/same place everyday. And all the bobby pins!!

chelsea89ms
August 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM
Oh yes all the bobby pins! I recommend finding a good gel to see if it will help hold it better so that you can avoid some of the pins. Im a curly so after a shower I will use a leave in, a very small amount of oil, then some gel before you put it up (you will need to play with it to see how much product you need). I use the Curls Hair Gel because its cone, paragons and mineral oil free. I used do a sock-like bun but with a scrunchie instead, I found that scrunchies didn't make by hair break off compared to a hair tie (avoid the ones with metal like the plague). I found satin scrunchie at walmart and it holds well for me but it may be a little slippery for someone with fine or strait hair. Maybe you can try spin pins, I have both the mini and regular ones but the mini's are easier to hide in my small bun :) If you can try to learn a couple different buns so your hair won't get damage from putting up up the same way everyday.

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 08:11 PM
I do the curly girl method (conditioner only, no cones, sulfates etc..) so finding a gel has been a NIGHTMARE. I am really looking forward to getting some length so I can play with it. I used to be at TBL but I chopped it off to a pixie when I donated it (for money for a personal friend, not to Lock for Love, the a scam artists) and I have been struggling with bob style haircuts since then. Was your hair long when you were still active?

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 08:13 PM
This thread should be interesting, because I was literally wondering about this yesterday.

Were you or are you military? Just curiosity.

Chromis
August 1st, 2014, 08:25 PM
I was military. I've made longer posts in the past, but I used one of these while my hair was growing out: http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Holder-Clip-Magic-Braid/dp/B0055MYJ0U/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_z

They are less scary than they look! Worked well even under my helmet. I used a bit of aloe vera for flyaways.

chelsea89ms
August 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM
Aww that was a really sweet thing you did for your friend! My hair was shoulder length, It would have been a million times easier at the length it is now. I would have little hairs that would stick out because of my layers and fringe bangs. I used to use bobby pins but they made my hair break off, so i started just tucking it behind my ear instead because no one ever complained about it.

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 08:30 PM
I was military. I've made longer posts in the past, but I used one of these while my hair was growing out: http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Holder-Clip-Magic-Braid/dp/B0055MYJ0U/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_z

They are less scary than they look! Worked well even under my helmet. I used a bit of aloe vera for flyaways.

That looks like a medieval torture device! Haha! How does it even work?

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 08:35 PM
Aww that was a really sweet thing you did for your friend!

Thanks, it was a fundraiser and there was an amazing turn out. I chopped off 18"!

[QUOTE=My hair was shoulder length, It would have been a million times easier at the length it is now. I would have little hairs that would stick out because of my layers and fringe bangs. I used to use bobby pins but they made my hair break off, so i started just tucking it behind my ear instead because no one ever complained about it.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, mine is there now and I'm praying for fast growth. If I had a superpower, it would be the ability to grow my hair as long as I want instantly haha lamest superpower ever but I would rock it.

truepeacenik
August 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
I'm with an employer with strict hair standards.
I have thigh length hair and must keep it up with no bangs handing loose.
A bun and clips do the job for me.

Eastbound&Down
August 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM
I'm with an employer with strict hair standards.
I have thigh length hair and must keep it up with no bangs handing loose.
A bun and clips do the job for me.

I'm stuck with headbands right now until it is a little longer

chelsea89ms
August 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM
lol I wish my hair would grow faster all the time and my husband will be like "Thats what you wish for?!? what about a million dollars?", it confuses him beyond belief that I hesitate at that :)

Chromis
August 1st, 2014, 08:56 PM
That looks like a medieval torture device! Haha! How does it even work?

You put the hair in, slide it down, flip the ends up into the held hair and roll it upwards. The hooks clip together and the hair hides them. It's easier than it sounds and they come with a handy diagram to illustrate. They make less scary looking silicone ones, but they were too big for me. There are foam ones as well, which I never tried. Many gals used sock buns, but mine never came out neat enough.

The magic bun things worked fine for me until somewhere past waist. By tailbone I switched to Amish pins and then I was out. I had surgery near the start of my time in the military so I went from BSL to shaved and then grew out again. Getting to the top of my shoulders required creative use of hairgel, bobby pins, and a fairly lax command (it likely helped that I'd had cancer, so I probably got more slack for the growing out than normal).

Sidenote: If you are in the US or another country with Sally's Beauty Supply, they had the best bobby pins. They come in a tin or a giant container. Highly recommend if they still have them!

synchrostatic
August 1st, 2014, 09:20 PM
My fiancee's dad is, and I met a few of the people he worked with, and all seemed to have short hair, so I was wondering if it was a regulation thing.

Seeshami
August 1st, 2014, 09:26 PM
Sister oldest kept her hair long and sock bunned for her entire military carrier.

BlazingHeart
August 1st, 2014, 09:34 PM
I'm in a profession where my hair has to be 'perfect'. Can't go into court with messy hair (I'm an attorney). While the exact rules are less precise, the effect is somewhat similar. It's got to be tight and tidy, no fly-aways. My hair is currently waist, was past classic before I had to cut it due to damage and hair loss (went from a 5.8" pony to a 4.0" pony, give or take). I'm still working on it, but my go-to style doesn't work for court. I usually just kind of twist my hair under itself and slap a flexi through it. Can't do that for the office or for court. Le sigh.

GoddesJourney
August 2nd, 2014, 01:36 AM
I cut mine to just long enough to make a bun that stays for boot camp. They made us gel out hair into what felt like a soggy gel helmet every day, which gave most of us rashes and hair loss. Once I got to my unit they were less strict. However, the ones I worked for at the time only accepted the bun even though the regulations manual doesn't care as long as it's neat and tidy, fastened to your head, off your collar, etc. Once it got long enough for that bun to start hurting my head, I made the mistake of cutting it all off to about a couple of inches. That was great for 2-3 weeks and then really annoying for like another year. I had it regularly trimmed in the back until I got sort of an angled bob and let it grow until I could make a pony nub. That was right around when somebody complained about it anyway. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only option.

You say you can make a sock bun so that's great. I made black silk very tight hair scrunchies to avoid damage. I made them so the cloth is tight to the elastic so they don't look like scrunchies since those are not allowed. Once the pony nub got too long I started making the sort of half pulled through ponytail thing. Recently, that has gotten sloppy looking but it's still not long enough to make a neat bun, so I did the tucked French braid thing. If I was allowed to do this before I probably would never have cut it. I don't know if you have a desk job or work outside. If you work inside it's not hard to keep your hair nice. If you work outside, or like I do, in and out all day and in often heavy wind, you put your cover on and take it off once or twice and your hair gets messed up. The guys I work for now seem to understand that with the nature of the work we do, our hair will not be perfect at all times. We pretty it up when we have visitors or higher ups. I had a friend that had curly hair and she would just plop in a leave in conditioner as a gel since the gel dries out your hair.

Side note: Having your hair tied back in the same spot all the time does feel terrible and I get dandruff in the spot right underneath the bun since it won't go up right if I don't put it up wet.

Also, the new girl introduced me to these silicone hair ties that are the same size as the normal ones. They actually hold really well, but you have to take them out slowly. I've only seen them at Walgreens.

Federica
August 2nd, 2014, 05:07 AM
I'm not a military, but I'm in the Civil Defense, so I have a military-like uniform and I have to wear helmets sometimes, to rescue people.
Women are allow to have long hair, but it must be out of the way. I usually put it in a braided bun.

Chromis
August 2nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
My fiancee's dad is, and I met a few of the people he worked with, and all seemed to have short hair, so I was wondering if it was a regulation thing.

In the US military men must keep their hair short. Only women are allowed to grow theirs. Sucky rule, but that is why you are seeing this.

-Fern
November 11th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Bumping this thread for Veteran's Day. :o

I remember when I was in Boot Camp, I got the absolute worst advice for keeping my hair in regs... I was told to get it sopping wet, brush it straight back, add gel, and bun up. This led to it being insanely frizzy the rest of the day, not to mention painfully tight. Then someone else told me to do a sock bun, and no matter how small I made the sock, my bun was HUGE and uncomfortable all day.

I figured I would share the method that I now use for my hair when I'm in garrison:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29029&d=1510424058

Instead of hair gel, I use aloe vera gel, which gives me adequate hold in garrison, plus additional moisturizing and smoothness. I don't get my hair sopping wet... I brush it into a low ponytail, secure loosely with a hair tie, and run my wet palms over the crown of my head just to get the surface of my hair damp. Then I rub about a nickel-sized dollop of aloe gel between my palms and smooth my palms over the crown again.

My hair is not naturally straight, so I have an extra step here to keep things smooth... I take the hair tie out and hold the ponytail with one hand while using the other hand to run a boar bristle brush over my crown hair to give a smooth, slicked-back appearance without having to pull the hair back tightly. Once everything is smooth and even, I secure the ponytail again with the hair tie.

Next I separate the ponytail into two sections. With the first section, I make a bee-butt bun and secure with one U-pin, careful to keep the second section out of the way as I twist. You should now have a bun with a mini-ponytail coming out the center of it. Take the second section and twist around the first bun. No need to make it super tight, I find that I can feel pretty well when the tension is adequate. Secure the ends with a second U-pin.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29029&d=1510424058

This bun style is ROCK-SOLID for me. The above photo was actually taken after a full work day, followed by a quick clothing change, an hour of yoga, and a one mile run. I normally wear this bun closer to the nape of my neck so that it doesn't interfere with my patrol cap or kevlar, but I guess I was feeling saucy that morning.

Wishing all the best for fellow members and veterans of the armed forces today. <3

How about others? Do you have any tips or tricks? I am still perfecting how to treat my hair when I'm in the field for extended periods... It has a tendency to mat from putting on/taking off my kevlar over and over. Silicone hair ties are kind of my magic bullet when hair is sticking out from the bun, but they seem to be pretty damaging...

Jo Ann
November 11th, 2017, 12:13 PM
...I'm still working on it, but my go-to style doesn't work for court. I usually just kind of twist my hair under itself and slap a flexi through it. Can't do that for the office or for court. Le sigh.
That was one of the styles I used to do. I used a large metal barrette to hold mine in place. Ditto with a peacock twist.

A couple of ladies I was stationed with, with hair between hip and classic, used braided buns to keep their hair neat and above the bottom edge of their collars.

Jo Ann
November 11th, 2017, 12:20 PM
God Bless you, -Fern! Thank you for your service and sacrifices!

Guitargod
November 11th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I still remember the ugly hairnets I had to wear in the army (Denmark). After the recruit period (3 or 4 months) things were eased up a bit and I wore a ponytail instead for the last half year although it wasn't quite regulation:)

Eastbound&Down
November 11th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Bumping this thread for Veteran's Day. :o

I remember when I was in Boot Camp, I got the absolute worst advice for keeping my hair in regs... I was told to get it sopping wet, brush it straight back, add gel, and bun up. This led to it being insanely frizzy the rest of the day, not to mention painfully tight. Then someone else told me to do a sock bun, and no matter how small I made the sock, my bun was HUGE and uncomfortable all day.

I figured I would share the method that I now use for my hair when I'm in garrison:

Instead of hair gel, I use aloe vera gel, which gives me adequate hold in garrison, plus additional moisturizing and smoothness. I don't get my hair sopping wet... I brush it into a low ponytail, secure loosely with a hair tie, and run my wet palms over the crown of my head just to get the surface of my hair damp. Then I rub about a nickel-sized dollop of aloe gel between my palms and smooth my palms over the crown again.

My hair is not naturally straight, so I have an extra step here to keep things smooth... I take the hair tie out and hold the ponytail with one hand while using the other hand to run a boar bristle brush over my crown hair to give a smooth, slicked-back appearance without having to pull the hair back tightly. Once everything is smooth and even, I secure the ponytail again with the hair tie.

Next I separate the ponytail into two sections. With the first section, I make a bee-butt bun and secure with one U-pin, careful to keep the second section out of the way as I twist. You should now have a bun with a mini-ponytail coming out the center of it. Take the second section and twist around the first bun. No need to make it super tight, I find that I can feel pretty well when the tension is adequate. Secure the ends with a second U-pin.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29029&d=1510424058

This bun style is ROCK-SOLID for me. The above photo was actually taken after a full work day, followed by a quick clothing change, an hour of yoga, and a one mile run. I normally wear this bun closer to the nape of my neck so that it doesn't interfere with my patrol cap or kevlar, but I guess I was feeling saucy that morning.

Wishing all the best for fellow members and veterans of the armed forces today. <3

How about others? Do you have any tips or tricks? I am still perfecting how to treat my hair when I'm in the field for extended periods... It has a tendency to mat from putting on/taking off my kevlar over and over. Silicone hair ties are kind of my magic bullet when hair is sticking out from the bun, but they seem to be pretty damaging...

Thanks for bumping the thread, I forgot I had created it! For in the field: TT and BBB are the best for me. Keeps the mats at bay and when we are remote and don't have lots of water supply available, BBB helps keep the scalp clear of debris. Some gals bring dry shampoo but I feel like it just builds up and makes even more of a mess.