PDA

View Full Version : Slow Growers UNITE!

LauraLongLocks
August 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM
I did a search and didn't see any official thread for slow-growers, but if I missed it, please merge my post so I can join the party. Thanks.

Hi, my name is Laura, and I'm a slow grower. I've been keeping track for almost a year, and have managed to get a little more than four inches growth since I started keeping track.

Here's my growth/trim record:

September 28th - 28.5"
October 27th - 29.25"
November 27th - 30"
December 5th - trimmed .5" (or so I thought)
January 1st - inconsistent measurement of 29.5" to 30"
February 1st - consistent measurement of 30"
March 1st - a dismal 30.25"
April 1st - 31"
May 1st - 31.25" (only a quarter inch? Really?)
Jun 1st - 31.5" (Again, only a quarter inch?) trimmed 5 mm, remeasured hair and it was the same as before the trim
July 1st - 32" or nearly 82 cm - trimmed 1 cm and remeasured hair at 81 cm
August 1st - 32.25" or 82 cm - trimmed 5 mm and remeasured hair, and it was the same as before the trim

I do see that I had a few great months of .75" growth, but I don't know what happened those months so that I can replicate it.

Any other slow-growers want to hang with me here? All I ask is half an inch a month! But, apparently, that's too much most of the time.

The good news is, I also have a low shed rate, of about 30 hairs a day most of the time. So, maybe there is hope for me yet in making my goal of knee length hair. Anyway, if you are a slow-grower, join me!

ETA: Some of the long-timers here are wanting to make sure that we self-proclaimed slow growers understand that we're not really slow growers at all. We are average growers. Just to clarify, you are welcome to hang out on this thread if your perception of your hair growth is that it is slow, whether you are out of touch with reality or not. There is no need to correct one another or to prove anyone wrong in their thought processes or perceptions. And this is not a contest to see who is the slowest grower and who has the most right to be here. In the end, it doesn't really matter, so let's not make mountains out of molehills. Thank you.

AmyBeth
August 1st, 2014, 02:18 PM
Oh, I'm right here with you, Laura. I'm Amy, and I'm a slow grower. I have not kept quite the meticulous records that you have, however since I hendigo my roots every month, I can report a growth rate of just under 1/4 inch per month. No trimming doesn't work for me. I realize more net length gains when I microtrim, so I must sacrifice some precious new growth every few months. So my yearly gain is about 3 inches per year. It's a race between growth and shedding. I fear that, because my hair is so fine and thin, shed will win the day before I reach my minimum goal of classic. There's not awfully much I can do about it except try my hardest to preserve any growth through careful handling. And enjoying the length I've already gained, plus the gains in thickness and shine that all the care has brought about.

diddiedaisy
August 1st, 2014, 02:21 PM
I'm in. I grow 1cm every 4 weeks come what may.

I've tried everything to speed it up, inversion method, monstistat, biotin etc etc etc.

Nothing but nothing is going to budge it. I don't know where it gets it's stubborn streak from ;)

LauraLongLocks
August 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM
Yes, Diddiedaisy, I've tried everything all at once, too, and nothing seems to change my growth rate.

Same experience, AmyBeth. Not trimming just means I have shaggy slow growth. It doesn't give me maximum growth at all. So, I have started microtrimming more frequently as you can see from my record.

There have to be more of us slow-growers on this forum. Where are all of you!?

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2014, 03:58 PM
I'm Jacqueline101 I'm a slow grower. I have spurts of growth that is it. I'm using baume hair plus conditioner mist as I call it. It worked when I had my hot spell then it stopped.

catamonica
August 1st, 2014, 04:03 PM
My hair stayed at just past mid back for years. In 2009 in my 50's someone told me about Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo. I tried it & it grew 14 inches. It is two inches above tailbone length. It helps to wear it up. I had added two capfuls of olive oil. It might have helped growth. It doesn't work for
everyone. But it's worth a try. You can buy the shampoo at Wall Mart in the pet section. Or certain grocery stores. I hope this helps.

GrowingOut
August 1st, 2014, 04:25 PM
My hair stayed at just past mid back for years. In 2009 in my 50's someone told me about Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo. I tried it & it grew 14 inches. It is two inches above tailbone length. It helps to wear it up. I had added two capfuls of olive oil. It might have helped growth. It doesn't work for
everyone. But it's worth a try. You can buy the shampoo at Wall Mart in the pet section. Or certain grocery stores. I hope this helps.

14 inches in a day? A year? How fast was the average growth catamonica? :)

diddiedaisy
August 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM
I tried FAST shampoo and conditioner at a cost of £25. It had mostly rave reviews about doubling growth. All it did for me was make my hair like straw and I ended up cutting off about two inches. So I would be nervous to try mane n tail.

Amy, I too have fine hair and have struggled with shedding, which I seem to have under control at the moment. It doesn't make for nice ends. I just wear my hair up all the time now, and will until I manage to cut my see through away., which is 4 inches worth of length.

And here's me thinking, I know I'll grow my hair, little did I know what a hard slog it was going to be lol I've maintained at cbl for years and even though I knew I'd lost a lot of my hair it didn't cross my mind that I would have see through hair until my new growth caught up!!!

Aurum
August 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM
I have extremely slow growing hair. Never in my life have I been below BSL until now, even with minimal trims.

ravenheather
August 1st, 2014, 05:08 PM
I wasn't a slow grower until this year. My growth was in spurts for an average of .5 inches per month. But since December I am in a stall. I have bounced from 27 to 28 to 27 and back again. I don't trim and have fairytales so I am hoping that its the longest hairs shedding out rather than terminal at bsl. Pretty sure my measurements are accurate as I measure wet and stretched. Its so aggravating. I just want to get to waist this year.

lapushka
August 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't say 1 to 1,5 cm a month is slow growth. It's average growth. 6 inches a year is optimum growth, and not even everybody will get that! That doesn't mean 4 to 6 inches a year is slow growth. Not unless you want to believe all those stories of 2 inches worth of growth a month (rather exceptional).

catamonica
August 1st, 2014, 05:38 PM
I started using the shampoo about June 09. It grew until March 2010 to waist. About ten months. Then I started wearing it up. And it grew to two inches above tailbone. I'm trying to wear it up more. Hoping it will grow a little more. Singing mommy a web site, on hub pages said that she didn't cut her hair for years. There's a photo of her hair to her knees. She said wearing it up will help. Wearing it up and not cutting it will get faster growth. And prayer helps to.

LauraLongLocks
August 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM
I average nearly 4 inches this year, and sorry, Lapushka, that qualifies as slow to me.

I use Mane n Tail conditioner with caution on occasion because it contains protein and my hair gets feeling like straw with too much protein. Never tried FAST, but I read a lot of reviews on it and it scared me away. Most people said they ended up having to cut off hair because it got dried out from the shampoo.

I have tried a lot of the experiments, and so far, I know Monistat, the greenhouse effect, inversion method and castor oil don't do anything for my growth rate. I also tried coffee rinses, but maybe I didn't do it faithfully enough. I would like to do that again, but will probably use caffeine pills instead so I can spray it on my scalp and let it dry on my head and not smell like coffee. But now that I'm pregnant I won't be trying it until after the baby is born. I have never noticed any speeding of growth during pregnancy or thickening, either, so I don't expect a boost.

mariakatija
August 1st, 2014, 08:03 PM
May I join? I grow about 6 inches a year which is not slow but it's definitely not fast. In addition, I will be needing to trim my hair 4 times a year so I will probably be losing 2 inches a year anyway.

For those of you whose hair sheds a lot and often, try taking vitamins. I have and my hair has significantly decreasing its shedding rate

hafattack
August 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM
Me too.. grew leaps and bounds the last two years and have grown maybe 1.5 in since December. Oh well, I've now started benign neglect haha

ravenheather
August 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM
Congratulations LauraLongLocks! Wishing you a happy pregnancy and easy birth.

DaniJoy
August 1st, 2014, 11:14 PM
Hello. I just joined this forum recently so I don't have a ton of records kept on my hair growth but from my experience I am a slow grower. I am going to try and keep more detailed records to get a real idea. My length right now is about BSL and I would love to grow it to my waist/hip area. In my wildest dreams I can grow it to classic! Haha we will see. I'm hopeful.

Atira
August 1st, 2014, 11:34 PM
Slow grower here! My hair grows maybe 3 inches per year. :/

Dragon Faery
August 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM
Hello!

I used to be on the fast side of average, I think. Though I had a lot of breakage so it was hard to tell. But in the past 18 months, I've only grown about 6 inches and I had to cut 2 of those off. I wasn't taking very good care of my health for the past 2 years, so I don't know if it will speed up now that I'm trying harder or not.

Marika
August 2nd, 2014, 12:45 AM
I consider 12 cm/5 inches a year to be average growth but I'm growing a lot slower than that at the moment. I feel like I've been in the never-ending zone of MBL forever! I just browsed through some of my hair pics from January and it looks like my hair hasn't grown at all :( I've had just one microtrim (a couple of mm) this year, so it can't be that I've trimmed too much. I did have some breakage issues earlier this year but since I started to henna, the elasticity is back. I'm hoping this is just a phase and I eventually get back my 12 cm/5 inches a year.

cdonald2
August 2nd, 2014, 06:33 AM
Im natually a slow grower, but since i am above collar bone and I have a V hem in the back, i usually do very frequent trims to keep the front even with the back which makes it seem to grow alot slower :/ i will love my hem line when i get to the right length, but for now, it looks horrid, so i just snip it off.

hoping the front of my hair makes collar bone by November its at about chin now. Then i can just let it go :)

LauraLongLocks
August 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Welcome, my fellow slow-growers! And thank you ravenheather.

I decided midway through the summer to start tracking my growth in centimeters instead of inches, because it feels like I am making more progress that way. I'm not getting a half inch a month. More like a centimeter. So tracking in smaller increments makes me feel like I'm making more progress.

Also, I was going no-trims this year, but I don't think it helped my growth rate. In September 2013 when I first started tracking my growth I had a fairly significant trim the month before. Notice that I had awesome growth last fall (see OP). Maybe keeping it trimmed is the key to better growth for me (haha my roots can "feel" the ends were cut, right? lol). No, I don't really believe roots can feel the ends being cut, but I think keeping an even, thick hemline helps me to see/track my growth better, and possibly my ends might be better protected when there is more hair there. It's a theory, anyway. So, I began microtrimming this summer as you can see in my record. My intent is to take 5 mm every month, and if I accidentally take a whole centimeter, then I figure I'm that much closer to cutting of my last long layer. I just don't want to trim faster than I grow! That's a worry when you have slow growth. I think I'll microtrim 5 mm every month for a year and then decide what to do from there.

EarthArtist
August 2nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
I'm joining in! It seems that once my hair gets to where it is now (just above bra line) the shedding increases and that's when I get annoyed and get it cut! Never had it past bra line and that's my goal! I have been keeping track on my Pinterest board. Did not start measuring until two months in but it looks like I had significant growth the first two months and now I feel like my growth has stalled! Hoping all the great advise on this board helps! I'm determined to get my WL hair I have always dreamed of!
http://www.pinterest.com/poochpottery/hair-farming-project/

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
I use to use mane n tail shampoo and conditioner. I loved it and have thought about going back to it. I used it my first year here my hair seemed to grow while using it.

Beborani
August 2nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
Participants on this thread may commiserate with each other but for the benefit of youngsters reading this thread and erroneously assuming their growth is slow I will post this link--if anyone can dig out that paper in the journal it would be even better.
http://www.livescience.com/42868-how-fast-does-hair-grow.html

diddiedaisy
August 2nd, 2014, 11:14 AM
Participants on this thread may commiserate with each other but for the benefit of youngsters reading this thread and erroneously assuming their growth is slow I will post this link--if anyone can dig out that paper in the journal it would be even better.

Interesting, according to that as I grow 1cm 4 weekly that puts me at 13 cm per year, which is average for my race. Well, I still think my hair grows slow :)

lapushka
August 2nd, 2014, 11:33 AM

Exactly. Please you guys, don't exaggerate. 6 inches is a lot! And if you're undergoing hormonal changes this number might even differ. So don't be so fast as to call it "slow growth".

LauraLongLocks
August 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Well, it's slow to me. So I'm calling it slow.

ETA: I went back and reread that article, and got to thinking, if the researchers were taking the measurements UNSTRETCHED then the whole thing is bunk. It doesn't say whether the researchers were stretching or not. All that means is that the length is eaten up in waves and curls and coils with races that typically have those types of hair textures.

ETA2: I also don't see anywhere how many people were in the study. It could be a wildly erroneous number that they "averaged" if their sample was too small.

LauraLongLocks
August 2nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Why does it bother anyone else that my perception of my growth rate is that it's slow?

I am not forcing anyone else to come to this thread and read my whinings about slow growth, so why the need to correct me?

furnival
August 2nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Welcome, my fellow slow-growers! And thank you ravenheather.

I decided midway through the summer to start tracking my growth in centimeters instead of inches, because it feels like I am making more progress that way. I'm not getting a half inch a month. More like a centimeter.
A centimetre is more than half an inch!

I thought my hair grew abnormally slowly for years, until I realised that, well, slow is the way that hair grows. It's f*kin slow, whatever you do. What's important is keeping hair healthy as it slowly grows. You can rub magic potions upon your scalp, eat magic hair-growth foods and take really good care of your hair, but what matters most is patience. It takes years and years to grow long hair- there's no short cut. Fnarr Fnarr...

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Why does it bother anyone else that my perception of my growth rate is that it's slow?

I am not forcing anyone else to come to this thread and read my whinings about slow growth, so why the need to correct me?

Because some people like to poo on others parade.

furnival
August 2nd, 2014, 03:46 PM
Because some people like to poo on others parade.

:grnbiggri

neko_kawaii
August 2nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
A centimetre is more than half an inch!

I thought my hair grew abnormally slowly for years, until I realised that, well, slow is the way that hair grows. It's f*kin slow, whatever you do. What's important is keeping hair healthy as it slowly grows. You can rub magic potions upon your scalp, eat magic hair-growth foods and take really good care of your hair, but what matters most is patience. It takes years and years to grow long hair- there's no short cut. Fnarr Fnarr...

Actually, a centimeter is slightly less than half an inch. But I agree with you on slow + patience.

<tbody>

J
A
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
average

2011-2012

28*

2012-2013
34**

2013-2014
38***

39~

2014-2015

</tbody>

I didn't know Mid back to Classic in three years was something to complain about or that required commiseration. *shrug* It grows, I'm thrilled!

furnival
August 2nd, 2014, 03:53 PM
Actually, a centimeter is slightly less than half an inch. But I agree with you on slow + patience.

<tbody>

J
A
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
average

2011-2012

28*

2012-2013
34**

2013-2014
38***

39~

2014-2015

</tbody>

I didn't know Mid back to Classic in three years was something to complain about or that required commiseration. *shrug* It grows, I'm thrilled!
Ooh! Apologies, I was wrong ;)

LauraLongLocks
August 2nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
Back to the topic at hand, have any of you self-proclaimed slow growers had any luck with any of the growth rate experiments, or had any successes with certain products? The way you handle your hair? How often you trim?

LauraLongLocks
August 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
An inch is 2.5 centimeters, just to clarify.

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Back to the topic at hand, have any of you self-proclaimed slow growers had any luck with any of the growth rate experiments, or had any successes with certain products? The way you handle your hair? How often you trim?

I had good luck with mane n tail shampoo and conditioner monistat leave my hair up. It was humid the summer I joined. I had luck with my current one when it was humid outside. I'm a no trimmer. The way I handle my hair is neglect except one day a week. That's wash day. I have my routine posted on my page.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Perceptions vary, I guess, as do opinions, and we're all entitled to one. :D

Nonetheless, I'm hoping you do find something to speed up the growth, LLL. In my view you gained quite a bit of growth, but you don't see it that way, and that's perfectly fine too, in my mind.

SnowbirdRose
August 2nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
As long as mine grows and I don't do anything to make it get up and leave I'm happy :beercheer:

ravenheather
August 2nd, 2014, 06:35 PM
I found that the results I got with monistat and inversion were just spurts. I would get more growth at the time but it all evened out.

rawhair21
August 2nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
I'd like to join! I have not measured yet but I will start. I know it's slow I just don't know how slow.

Drosmand7
August 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
Well I can say that I'm noticing my hair is slowing down in growth.. for me it's all about nutrients and getting the best protein uptake..

I'm not a vegetarian but i'm not a meat-lover either, so I tend to lack in my protein intake.

When I was supplementing my protein intake with protein shakes, I got a full inch of growth. When I stopped, I only got 0.33 inches of growth.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but protein intake is my culprit..

http://www.globalrph.com/aminoacid-rda.cgi

My Daily requirements of amino acids:
Amino Acids Required ISO - 100 Soy GNC
Histidine 954.8 440 620
Isoleucine 1295.8 1418 1170
Leucine 2864.4 2767 1940
Lysine 2591.6 2346 1580
Methionine + Cysteine 1295.8 566 + 522 310 + 330
Phenylalanine + Tyrosine 2250.6 774 + 691 1310 + 960
Threonine 1364.0 1714 910
Tryptophan 341.0 413 290
Valine 1636.8 1444 1140
Proline 1445 1310
Arginine 688 1910
Glycine 455 1030

Total Protein 49 grams 24 grams 25 grams

http://aminoacidstudies.org/hair-loss/

Amino acids needed for hair growth
Arginine – Cysteine – Methionine – Lysine – Glycine - Proline

BambooBeauty
August 3rd, 2014, 06:29 PM
I feel like my hair grows sooo slowly but I'm not sure. For a whole year I didn't colour my hair and the grow out line got to the top of my ears. Ive never been past apl and my goal is waist.

Nadine <3
August 3rd, 2014, 07:36 PM
My hair probably grows at a fairly normal rate but to me it feels slow. I put it up and try to forget about it. Keep busy with other things...I'm currently using main and tail and my hair LOVES it. I just pay close attention to how my ends are feeling. If they feel a bit crunchy I wash with something without protein. Maybe I'll get some good growth with it :D

MeAndTheMaz
August 3rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
Oops. Wrong thread. :o

Briella
August 3rd, 2014, 11:31 PM
I'd like to join too! My hair grows 1cm each month. I haven't been checking my growth for very long though, so I suppose there is room for error. I really wish I could get half an inch every month! It felt like it took me a whole year to grow 3 inches.

Silverbrumby
August 4th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Im in. I think I'm growing super slow now I'm approaching terminal at bsl.

longhairvixen
August 4th, 2014, 05:32 AM
try taking diatomaceous earth. make sure its the food grade version. diatomaceous earth is high in trace minerals and contains mostly silica. Silica has been shown to stimulate hair growth and has been used as a treatment to prevent balding. Our hair is made up of 90% silica, so it would make sense that it's thirsty for the stuff. Taking just 2 tablespoon of food-grade Diatomaceous Earth daily gives you enough silica to support healthy, strong hair. take one tbs in morning one in evening. i PROMISE you in 4 months you will see a ton of difference

Savvyhorsez
August 4th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I'll join you folks! I grow only four inches a year, it's been like that since I was a kid no matter what I did for diet or shampoos. I have been taking a supplement called Biotin and I think that has helped some.

SunnyIC
August 4th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I need help from everybody that understands this better than me. I think I possibly belong here, but I'm not sure. According to the (badly kept) notes I have of my hair measures on 30th of March my hair was 53cm (approx. 20.9in*), on 30th of June my hair was 58/59cm (22.8/23in*) wet and now (today) it's 59cm dry (stretched the curled up ends). So I'm not sure if my growth is really slow or not as it only grew about 5/6 centimetres (approx. 2 inches*) between March-June. Is it normal? Is it slow? Is it fast? I don't really understand hair all that much yet and this seems really slow to me, so if anyone would kindly help I would be very grateful.
PS *inches courtesy of Mr. Google converter.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I need help from everybody that understands this better than me. I think I possibly belong here, but I'm not sure. According to the (badly kept) notes I have of my hair measures on 30th of March my hair was 53cm (approx. 20.9in*), on 30th of June my hair was 58/59cm (22.8/23in*) wet and now (today) it's 59cm dry (stretched the curled up ends). So I'm not sure if my growth is really slow or not as it only grew about 5/6 centimetres (approx. 2 inches*) between March-June. Is it normal? Is it slow? Is it fast? I don't really understand hair all that much yet and this seems really slow to me, so if anyone would kindly help I would be very grateful.
PS *inches courtesy of Mr. Google converter.

Between March and June equals 3 months, normally at about half an inch a month that should put you at 1,5 inches of growth. Anything above that is fast growth, not just normal growth.

SunnyIC
August 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Between March and June equals 3 months, normally at about half an inch a month that should put you at 1,5 inches of growth. Anything above that is fast growth, not just normal growth.
Thank you so much for your answer. So my hair grows kinda fast? Wow, I always had the idea it was super slow. Still feels like it it's slow too. But that changes my perspective.

Estrid
August 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
My hair grows terribly slow too, about 15 cm every year. I've accepted the fact that it will take me at least 2 years to get mid-back or waist length hair, which is longer than anything I've ever had before :/

Patience is not my strongest suit.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 01:06 PM
My hair grows terribly slow too, about 15 cm every year. I've accepted the fact that it will take me at least 2 years to get mid-back or waist length hair, which is longer than anything I've ever had before :/

Patience is not my strongest suit.

Actually under normal circumstances you'd only get 12 cm, or 6 inches. That's normal growth. Let's keep it real here, people. I mean, you can be impatient, but that doesn't change facts.

Estrid
August 4th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Actually under normal circumstances you'd only get 12 cm, or 6 inches. That's normal growth. Let's keep it real here, people. I mean, you can be impatient, but that doesn't change facts.

Feels slow to me, but maybe it's because I am surrounded by people with faster hair growth. It might be due to my impatience also, just a tiny bit, haha.

LauraLongLocks
August 4th, 2014, 01:11 PM

Actually, 12 cm is not equal to 6 inches because there are 2.5 cm in every inch. 12 cm would be equal to approximately 4.75 inches. And I don't think it matters if we are all in touch with reality or not. If we feel our hair growth is slow, then we are welcome to post here. Why does it matter to you so much whether we believe our growth is slow or normal? It's just a freakin' hair forum thread. No one said you had to read it.

SunnyIC
August 4th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I don't want to bother, but can I still hang around with everybody here? Even if my hair is growing fast sometimes it just feels too slow (I'm a very impatient girl).

LauraLongLocks
August 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I don't want to bother, but can I still hang around with everybody here? Even if my hair is growing fast sometimes it just feels too slow (I'm a very impatient girl).

Yes, of course... no one here has to prove to anyone else that they are a slow grower, and it's not a contest to see who is the slowest grower of them all. I say hair does grow slowly, even if it is "average" growth. It's still SLOW when you are waiting for it to grow! Welcome!

two_wheels
August 4th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I promise not to hang around on this thread, but I really feel I must support Lapushka. 6" a year is average, if you trim 1.5" then getting 4.5" net is average, and it does not come at an even rate, nor is measurement reliable to the accuracy required, so you would need at the very very least 1 year of data anyway.

I understand this thread is for people who *feel* their growth is slow, and it's not a competition, but I would hate for people to read of people averaging 0.5" a month referring to this as 'slow', and then believe there was something wrong with them that they need to fix with supplements or whatever.

I'm not trying to shut the thread down, I just hope nobody feels like there is something physically wrong with them if they get 0.5" a month on average, sometimes more sometimes less. Having been at a length that I don't like for nearly three years now, I truly do understand the frustration that hair, on average, grows slowly, and therefore why a thread like this may be useful.

ETA just read your last post LLL. I guess the disagreement is about whether 'slow' = slower than average, or just SLOW darn it! Totally agree on the latter :)

SunnyIC
August 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Yes, of course... no one here has to prove to anyone else that they are a slow grower, and it's not a contest to see who is the slowest grower of them all. I say hair does grow slowly, even if it is "average" growth. It's still SLOW when you are waiting for it to grow! Welcome!
Thank you! It just sometimes when you really want it at a certain length and you're just excited to have it way long it feels like it takes forever to get there and months go by and still it's in the same place. Sometimes I wish I could wake up one day and it's the length I want. :laugh:

diddiedaisy
August 4th, 2014, 01:31 PM
It's its from the end of March then I personally wouldn't put you in the slow growth section. It would tAke me 6 months to grow that much !!! But everyone's got there own perception.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Actually, 12 cm is not equal to 6 inches because there are 2.5 cm in every inch. 12 cm would be equal to approximately 4.75 inches. And I don't think it matters if we are all in touch with reality or not. If we feel our hair growth is slow, then we are welcome to post here. Why does it matter to you so much whether we believe our growth is slow or normal? It's just a freakin' hair forum thread. No one said you had to read it.

Facts are still facts, and I am entitled to my opinion, even on *your* thread. Sorry. :) I don't know why you are so dead set on believing you have the slowest growth of them all, when it isn't like that (facts count).

cdonald2
August 4th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I'm only slow because of my perceptions. When i first posted i thought i was a slow grower, but Lapushka is right. Ive gained about 4 inches in front in about 8 months which is average. I have to keep trimming the back until collar bone though because i hate how it looks with a short length. I'm sure it will seem to speed up when i can put the scissors down for a while.

RapunzelKat
August 4th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Facts are still facts, and I am entitled to my opinion, even on *your* thread. Sorry. :) I don't know why you are so dead set on believing you have the slowest growth of them all, when it isn't like that (facts count).

I don't believe LLL ever tried to insist she was the "slowest of all." And while you are certainly entitled to post your opinion/facts as you wish, it seems a bit rude to jump in and correct everyone who's trying to join the thread. They're just trying to commiserate here on the slow growth of hair, they're not trying to compete with anyone.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I don't believe LLL ever tried to insist she was the "slowest of all." And while you are certainly entitled to post your opinion/facts as you wish, it seems a bit rude to jump in and correct everyone who's trying to join the thread. They're just trying to commiserate here on the slow growth of hair, they're not trying to compete with anyone.

I'm not correcting *everyone* (please don't exaggerate just to make a point), and I'm certainly not correcting LLL. I never even commented on a post of hers lately.

RapunzelKat
August 4th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I'm not correcting *everyone* (please don't exaggerate just to make a point), and I'm certainly not correcting LLL. I never even commented on a post of hers lately.

You're right, I should not have used the word "everyone" - I apologize :flower: Regarding the other comment, it was in reference to post #62 (the one I quoted).

In any case, I have no desire argue with you - I just think you should take a moment to think about whether your posts are in the spirit of the thread. (You'll notice the OP has been edited to cover some of your concerns.) So I'll just offer some :cheese: and be on my way.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM
You're right, I should not have used the word "everyone" - I apologize :flower: Regarding the other comment, it was in reference to post #62 (the one I quoted).

In any case, I have no desire argue with you - I just think you should take a moment to think about whether your posts are in the spirit of the thread. (You'll notice the OP has been edited to cover some of your concerns.) So I'll just offer some :cheese: and be on my way.

I don't want to argue either. I hate even the slightest bit of discussion.

In any case. I just wanted to let everyone know, especially newbies (who might see this and panic) and say that 4 to 6 inches is absolutely fine. Unless you stall big time it isn't much to worry about. It will just take it's own time. Sometimes you can't be but patient. And I do get why slow growers need a place to commiserate, but it has to be *really* slow for me to call it slow growth, I guess. :shrug: Maybe I have totally different priorities.

MeAndTheMaz
August 4th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Okay. So now that I know what thread I'm actually posting to :o . . .

This is so totally the thread for me. The thing that got me on the journey that brought me here to LHC was too many people who hadn't seen me for a while asking if I'd cut my hair, when I hadn't. So I figured something must not be right.

I've been lurking the monthly picture thread and find it not so much inspirational as "what the heck am I doing wrong?" Though I don't have any measurements, it seems like I'm pretty much at the same length I've been at for years (shoulder+). And I refuse to think that that's terminal for me since my sister has waist, or so, length, and when on of my brothers decides to grow out, his hair grows like a weed.

cathair
August 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM
It looks like I have the slowest growth rate of the thread :P *steals the slow growth crown and does an impish dance* I have grown 5 inches in the two years I have been here, so I average 2.5 inches a year. Half a centimeter a month if I am exceptionally lucky.

Can't say I feel that bad about it though. It's still growing, it hasn't stopped. It's still longer than it has ever been and I have hit a milestone this year and another one stretched. Every tiny bit I gain is an improvement. Other good things happen, I feel like the texture of my hair is improving to touch. I do believe hair grows very slowly and that you should revel in other small victories.

I do believe that most of your hair growth will be determined my genetics. I heard a doctor say once, diet accounts for 10% of your health the rest is genetics. Or something to that effect.

If I look at my monthly pictures it looks like nothings happening. If I look at my anniversary pictures, this year vs this time last year I can see a big difference. I think this may be because I might finally be keeping more of my growth this year, while leaning to look after it better and more brittle hair having already snapped off. I will continue to take monthly photos as a record, but I'm not going to obsess about it. A watched pot never boils and all that.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Though I don't have any measurements, it seems like I'm pretty much at the same length I've been at for years (shoulder+). And I refuse to think that that's terminal for me since my sister has waist, or so, length, and when on of my brothers decides to grow out, his hair grows like a weed.

If your hair is all virgin, no damage, no heat styling (curlers, straighteners), then there's no real reason it shouldn't grow. But hair grows so painstakingly slow... Maybe take a picture at each half year point? It takes about half a year to really truly visibly tell that it grew an amount, IMO at least. And that way you won't run the risk of obsessing over it. Monthly growth, to me, can be so hard to spot, which is why I don't participate in that thread.

ravenheather
August 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I have bowed out of all length goal threads. I found it too aggravating given my current stall.

CousinItt
August 4th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm not a slow grower - judging by the stupid bangs i cut in March, I have grown around 3 inches. What I think is going on is that my hair is snapping off from poor care two to three years ago, and possible diet-related issues. Is this still a thread for me, since I still haven't reached my first hair goal yet? :(

I've been waiting until I reached waist to get my hair trimmed - a reward, since I always enjoyed going to get my hair cut - but I think a good trim might help me get my hair back in growing shape.

MeAndTheMaz
August 4th, 2014, 07:48 PM
If your hair is all virgin, no damage, no heat styling (curlers, straighteners), then there's no real reason it shouldn't grow. But hair grows so painstakingly slow... Maybe take a picture at each half year point? It takes about half a year to really truly visibly tell that it grew an amount, IMO at least. And that way you won't run the risk of obsessing over it. Monthly growth, to me, can be so hard to spot, which is why I don't participate in that thread.

I know. It's all virgin. Never seen a drop of dye and the last time it's been blow-dried was decades ago. I have changed some of my abusive behavior, so there's hope there. I'm not looking for LHC style long hair. I'd be happy with (the male equivalent of) BSL, or if I'm greedy, mid-back (is that the same thing?). Anything longer than that would just be unmanageable (for me).

In reality, I might be growing more than I think. I've done a couple of trims in the last year or so that I've been here, and they seem to take a fair amount off each time (which, I guess, isn't so bad, I'm looking for better quality).

I have a couple of pictures that show some growth (no idea what the timing is), so something must be happening.

jacqueline101
August 4th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I know it takes dedication to have long hair. I know the saying you're what you eat proper things we do in the way of nutrition,supplements, and care is what it takes have healthy hair. I know their isn't a magic speedy way to gain hair. I think mine is slow right now due to the fact I've trimmed my bangs in April 2 inches off the last time only an inch in July. In three months it's only grown an inch. It seemed like when I first joined here I trimmed more frequently. This is why I think I belong here. Sure the back of my hair has grown and the measurements tell me it has but it doesn't really show. I've not changed my routine for a while. I practice benign neglect.

catamonica
August 4th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Jacqueline, you should go back to using the shampoo if It works. I won't use any other shampoo. Let me know if it grows. I'm wondering if you have to
wash it more than once a week, for the shampoo to keep working. My hair stopped growing after a certain point. I'm going to wash it twice a week to see if that makes a difference. I hope you get lots of length.!

diddiedaisy
August 5th, 2014, 01:56 AM
I've ordered some DE. Nothing else has helped my growth so it's worth a go. It's the last thing left to try so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I must admit though, I'm not very hopeful. Stupid stubborn hair lol

Sarahlabyrinth
August 5th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Well, my hair certainly feels as though it is growing slowly, though it is probably growing at an average rate, in fact. I guess hair just*does*grow slowly.
When I joined here in June 2012, my hair was 20".

Now, it is 33.5", and it has had about 2" trimmed during that time. So that makes growth of close on 15.5"in 25 months. say, 15" in two years, or 7.5" a year (so far, that is how long I have been measuring for).

Anyway, although I bemoan how long growing is taking, and how slow the process is, I guess it just takes as long as it takes....

Wosie
August 5th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Sarahlabyrinth, You actually have fast growth. (You grow ~19 cm a year; wowsers! I think it'd take 1½ years for me to get the same amount.)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 5th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Well, if that is so, then even fast growth feels slow! Because it still feels slow!

SunnyIC
August 5th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Well, if that is so, then even fast growth feels slow! Because it still feels slow!
I understand you completely, my hair also grows slightly fast (in 3 months it grew almost 2 inches) but it still feels so slow. Especially because I can't notice any difference in the length. I think that even for people with hair that grows faster than average it still feels slow. When you have your goals set and are eager to reach them it looks like it's even going slower (I think it might be because of the excitement + awareness), you still know your hair is growing but it doesn't feel like it is.

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Hi! I can't say I'm a slow grower, because I really don't know. I'm so curly that I can't measure accurately and that's the truth. I can't put a measurement up here as to how much I've grown in two years and two months partly because of that and partly because I was so excited to be growing at all at first that I'm pretty sure I overstated how much I had grown. Also, there is the problem of having flat-ironed to measure during the first year, which I no longer do, which throws all those measurements off. I DO know I've grown. However, because some of us agree that your perceptions matters, I have a hard time because after two years, my hair APPEARS to be a little more than shoulder length. I know its a lot longer than that. but I don't know how much. Different times when I measure, it seems to be different lengths, depending on how much it happens to stretch that day. I know it is somewhere around the bottom of bra strap or mid back, but I really couldn't say. And, as I wrote, it doesn't look APL yet.

I'm definitely not complaining and neither will I do supplements. I do take a multivit which includes a little biotin (but not more than daily requirement, which is very little). I do drink rooibos tea, but that is supposed to be good for your health anyway. I do massage my scalp with castor oil and essential oils, but that feels good and anyway I don't make much sebum so that helps. I definitely don't measure often. I check length every three months or so, but since, as I said, I can even appear to have LOST length depending on how much it stretches on the particular day I length check, I try to go more by how long my braid has gotten or by the fact that I can do a new bun that I couldn't do before. I keep old photos to remind myself that I have grown, and I don't compare myself to anyone else. What I do do is remind myself that if I want all my length to show, I could always straighten my hair. But I don't like myself in straight hair. 'Slow growth' or the appearance of it, is the price I pay for having pretty curls.

It is so nice to have this thread up and see that many of you who have (to me) enviable lengths of hair still feel your growth is slow. It is nice to encourage each other (I feel this is encouragement rather than commiseration), while we wait. Especially because in real life, there is not anyone to discuss this with. At this point, in real life, even I get 'you have enough hair' and a lady the other day actually told me that older women shouldn't have long hair (I was seriously thrilled. I never thought 'I' would hear that). So I can imagine what the rest of you go through. I also have an extremely scientific-minded engineer type of husband. He always goes by 'just the facts, ma'am.' Irritating as this can be to the 'rest' of us, it is a personality type and I know he doesn't do it to be mean, he really thinks I should feel better by knowing when something is not the truth, even when it is my perception. There are some people like that contributing to this thread and for those of you who don't have this at home (like me), yes, of course it gets on one's nerves. I am just skipping over those posts (no offense meant) and enjoying the encouragement from the like-minded--different personalities sometimes have trouble understanding each other. (And the scientific type does have its good points, I've been married to my husband for 31 years and I do dearly love him. I jsut avoid him when he does this!!!)

SnowbirdRose
August 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I understand you completely, my hair also grows slightly fast (in 3 months it grew almost 2 inches) but it still feels so slow. Especially because I can't notice any difference in the length. I think that even for people with hair that grows faster than average it still feels slow. When you have your goals set and are eager to reach them it looks like it's even going slower (I think it might be because of the excitement + awareness), you still know your hair is growing but it doesn't feel like it is. I second what you just said. I know my hair is growing, it just doesn't feel like it. I would like to come back to this thread next august and see if I still feel my hair growth is slow.

MultiCultiCurly
August 5th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Hello everyone :). I too am a slow-ish grower, at least in appearance due to my curliness. I think my hair grows around an average rate, but it takes FOREVER for my growth to "show" when hanging loose. I have recently stopped using any grooming implements other than my hands for detangling/styling in order to hopefully reduce breakage/pulling hairs out and to notice my growth more. So far so good. I take biotin daily with my multivitamin, but on the lower end at 1000 micrograms. I used to take MSM too, but I ran out and keep forgetting to get more, lol.

jacqueline101
August 5th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Jacqueline, you should go back to using the shampoo if It works. I won't use any other shampoo. Let me know if it grows. I'm wondering if you have to
wash it more than once a week, for the shampoo to keep working. My hair stopped growing after a certain point. I'm going to wash it twice a week to see if that makes a difference. I hope you get lots of length.!

I'm thinking about going back to main n tail it seemed to help my hair a lot. I'm afraid that my hair is as long as it will get. Maybe not terminal but it's resting. Then I tried the hair plus conditioner and seemed to work great for awhile. Now it's stopped I might have to use it more often like you've stated. I will keep you posted.

Avelyne
August 6th, 2014, 12:06 AM
I have never measured my growth but I definitely feel like it's slow! It felt like it took an age for my hair to reach the length it is now. I also seem to lose more hair to trims than I would like. On the other hand, if I don't trim I end up losing even more length because of splits etc. :rolleyes:

SunnyIC
August 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I second what you just said. I know my hair is growing, it just doesn't feel like it. I would like to come back to this thread next august and see if I still feel my hair growth is slow.
I think that might be a fun thing to experiment. I've been thinking that maybe it's just now that it feels slow, some more time and it will feel fast. Good thing we have this thread, maybe a year from now (or even before) come back here and think ''You know I don't think my hair grows slow any more.'' I know for me, right now, it's the sudden awareness I have of my hair. I'm so anxious to get to (at least) Classic and I have such a long way to go still that I think it's a bummer my hair isn't ''growing'' at all.

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Just looked at pics from two years ago. My hair was ear length when curly, nape of neck when braided out and just a little past shoulder when stretched. I wrote then that I doubted I could get to bra strap stretched. And I'm there now. Actually a little past.(And at shoulder when curly and at armpit when braided out).
@ Jacqueline, I use the mane and tail conditioner, not every time I wash but probably half the time because the protein in it keeps my hair stronger (except if its too much, then I get tangly and need clarifying). You should definitely try it again if your hair loves protein. I bet your hair has not stopped growing, don't check again until Christmas and you will probably be surprised.
I'm hoping to get to waist. Curly, if possible.

SunnyIC
August 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I have never measured my growth but I definitely feel like it's slow! It felt like it took an age for my hair to reach the length it is now. I also seem to lose more hair to trims than I would like. On the other hand, if I don't trim I end up losing even more length because of splits etc. :rolleyes:
Good ol' split ends, every hair grower's mortal enemy. Hate getting splits to the point I feel sad about having to cut that hair. But it's not nice to keep those darn splits. May I ask if you looked into S&D (search & destroy) instead of hair trims (since you lose length) or if you just prefer to trim?

SunnyIC
August 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Just looked at pics from two years ago. My hair was ear length when curly, nape of neck when braided out and just a little past shoulder when stretched. I wrote then that I doubted I could get to bra strap stretched. And I'm there now. Actually a little past.(And at shoulder when curly and at armpit when braided out).

Congratulations on getting to were you thought you couldn't and even more! It's the nicest feeling. :)

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2014, 02:24 PM
It is when you realize it. This thread made me go and look up my hair journal. I was thinking I had barely grown at all--and sweating about it being impossible to grow longer!!!! Journals and old pictures are helpful to people like me....
Off to update my siggy. I can claim APL now definitely. yay!

SunnyIC
August 6th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Yay! :joy: Getting much closer to your goal now. Fast hair growing dust being sent your way (scientists can't guarantee it works but it's the support that counts :cheer:).

Vanilla
August 6th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I'm going to raise my hand here on the slow growth. I don't measure my hair, but rather go by body markers. I trimmed about 2 1/2 inches in the beginning of March, and I thought by now I'd be almost back where I was before my trim. I had some really encouraging growth right after my trim, but for the last two months, it has seemed to really stall again. I think I've gained an inch total since my trim 5 months ago.

I have a really great diet, but haven't been going to as much hot yoga recently as I was in the spring when my growth was better. As far as I can tell, I've had less breakage as a result of LOC and benign neglect. I haven't consistently used the inversion method to know if it makes a difference in my growth rate; I didn't find multivitamins/biotin helped either.

I figured I'd wait another month before I micro trim and see if that helps.

Phoe
August 30th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I've never measured my hair, but have always had slower growth compared to those around me.

Several years ago when I still dyed my hair, 2 of my friends and I would all dye each other's hair on the same day. Their roots always grew out much faster than mine. One of those same friends started growing out her hair at the same time I started growing, but mine was slightly longer than hers to begin. Within about 8 months she had passed me by and had longer hair than me. Hers seriously grew like a weed!! Last I saw her she was at waist length.

I think now that I've been properly caring for my hair for the past 2-3 years that it is growing faster than it used to, but I have no measurement to go by.

I DID see improvement in my hair while taking biotin in the past, but the biotin made my face break out in very painful deep cysts so I stopped, and will never take it again. The cysts left scarring on my cheeks.

I am starting inversion oil massages (figure it can't hurt), and may start taking DE.

One thing I can also say about the past couple years of properly caring for my hair, is that I also started properly caring for my body. Big diet change, got on an exercise routine, and I eat a LOT of protein.

I am a trimmer though. Can't go more than a few months without at least even-ing things up.

jacqueline101
August 30th, 2014, 09:00 PM

I found a routine that is going to work for me. I do love it so far. My goal of waist by summer didn't happen I'm thinking about going back to monistat. Monistat seems to give me the extra growth I needed.

ErinLeigh
August 30th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joining for support and to support.
I feel comfortable that average growth rate has been discussed enough that I feel no responsibility if new people come on and take supplements out of fear of being a slow grower for getting that average rate. It is their job to do more research than just reading one thread on a hair forum of slow growers commiserating before taking pills or getting depressed over it. If their growth is normal it will be pointed out and support will still be offered helping them through the "slow feel" even normal growth can take. I like to believe people here are intelligent enough to make wise decisions. That is my disclaimer.

I call slow growth even if I am growing "slightly or below average" but still not getting much net gain (breakage, shedding, necessary trims etc)
We have seen some people on here who have had mega growth in short times so I feel quite comfortable calling myself a slow grower to have a place to discuss the angst. That is really the spirit of this thread. A place to discuss and share ideas.

I am going to think of some things to share.
I have been trying GHE. I will measure once I get my roots redone and then do a one month check to see if it did increase growth.
Until then I will measure where I am now and try inversion for 2 weeks and see if I pass m usual 2 week mark.
I am not expecting much ..just more for curiosity and scalp health.

Anyone who did not have a scalp condition have success with Monistat?

Marika
August 30th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I took a nude hair length photo yesterday (don't worry, NOT going to post it :p) and it finally looks like I've gotten some growth (longest strands are below waist). But my ends look so thin! :( I microtrim, so they're blunt but just too seethrough for my liking. And it also looks like I have this huge gap in the middle of my hair because of the old breakage.

I feel like I should do a bigger chop instead of just microtrimming but it's really not the answer in my case. Even though my ends are thin, they don't have split ends or other damage. All the damage and split ends are around shoulder length which means I'd have to cut my hair really short to get rid of all the damage. And it might grow back just as damaged because you can't really wear buns with shoulder length hair.

It probably sounds like I'm really depressed about my hair but I'm not really :D There are days when it actually looks good and healthy even.

Aurum
August 30th, 2014, 11:35 PM
I feel like I belong here. I recently measured 9 inches of roots that I've been growing out for around 2 years. If you break that down, that's 4.5 inches per year and 0.38 inches per month, and I understand that the average is 0.5 inches per month. That's measuring roots, however, which is brand new shiny hair. It might be seeming slow if I'm losing length at the bottom due to old damage.
It sometimes feels like people I know are racing laps around me while I plod on toward my goal. Bleh.

Estrid
August 30th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Hello all!

I know I wrote in this thread some weeks ago because I felt like my hair is growing slow, after looking at photos from july I realise that my hair actually grows pretty fast, in 6 weeks I seem to have gained about 2,5-3 cm (judging from how short my bangs were before compared to now). I apologize for complaining about my hair growth x)

Good luck everyone!

ErinLeigh
August 31st, 2014, 12:21 AM
@ Jacqueline, I use the mane and tail conditioner, not every time I wash but probably half the time because the protein in it keeps my hair stronger (except if its too much, then I get tangly and need clarifying). You should definitely try it again if your hair loves protein. I bet your hair has not stopped growing, don't check again until Christmas and you will probably be surprised.
I'm hoping to get to waist. Curly, if possible.

Your hair is looking quite long to me if that helps! I do notice a difference from looking back to posts made long ago. I can only imagine how hard it must be tracking real growth with curls and also understand not wanting the hassle of doing what it takes to do so. Hopefully outside eyes help. :)

I agree this is really only place for me to discuss hair related things. It sounds vain to rest of world.. I am far from that..I just find hair interesting.
Also please note... Just because I post something as a"concern" it doesn't mean I am curled in a ball not living my life because of it. I am not impatient or needing to relax. Its posted here because where else would one discuss their daily hair thoughts? I think a lot of what we post in threads is merely conversational and not something that is deeply bothering us. It's mainly curiosity, wanting to learn, passing thoughts and an urge to discuss.
That is my take on the these boards anyway so I hope no one ever finds my moaning as more than that. I feel more comfortable posting when I know people understand I am just chatting. :)
Hugs to all!

Quahatundightu
August 31st, 2014, 12:31 AM
I've been measuring my growth for a few years now and average around 2.5" (6cm) a year. It has always been slow growing so perhaps it's genetics because I eat well and take supplements without seeing any change. I'm glad you started this thread LLL because I think slow growth makes it much harder to get to longer lengths. I take great care of my hair, updos and gentle handling, microtrim and have never even dyed it so there isn't much more I can do to protect it! I think I've reached the limit of how long my hair can grow whilst still looking nice. I'm currently maintaining past TB for thicker ends.

ummyahya
August 31st, 2014, 04:07 AM
I decided midway through the summer to start tracking my growth in centimeters instead of inches, because it feels like I am making more progress that way. I'm not getting a half inch a month. More like a centimeter. So tracking in smaller increments makes me feel like I'm making more progress.

Same here! I get about 1cm a month, regardless of nutrition, supplements, stress, routine...

lilelf
August 31st, 2014, 06:37 AM
*stands up* Hello, my name is Lilelf and I am a slow grower. *sits back down, shame faced* I have never in my life had hair longer than BSL and my shedding is now so severe, thanks to post pregnancy and a horrible extreme layering job, that I can only pull back into a high pony. In 6 months, I would say my hair has grown maybe 2 inches and that is generous. :(

sarahchant
September 1st, 2014, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure if I'm a slow grower but I'll just say everyone around me can outgrow me like crazy. Now that my hair has been colored to match my roots, I'm having a harder time seeing progress on the scalp (before, my bleached blonde length and dark tawny blonde roots made it easier to see growth). I think I'm on the low end of average when it comes to growth rate.

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2014, 11:18 PM
I'm starting to think my hair is growing slowly. I used to have such fast growing hair at LEAST .75 of an inch but now it seems like it's taking forever. I went from bald to this and it just doesn't seem enough. Oh well I guess I'll be happy in this thread for a while :)

sarahchant
September 1st, 2014, 11:57 PM
I'm starting to think my hair is growing slowly. I used to have such fast growing hair at LEAST .75 of an inch but now it seems like it's taking forever. I went from bald to this and it just doesn't seem enough. Oh well I guess I'll be happy in this thread for a while :)

I'm really starting to understand the saying "A watched pot never boils."

ErinLeigh
September 2nd, 2014, 01:33 AM
I took a nude hair length photo yesterday (don't worry, NOT going to post it :p) and it finally looks like I've gotten some growth (longest strands are below waist). But my ends look so thin! :( I microtrim, so they're blunt but just too seethrough for my liking. And it also looks like I have this huge gap in the middle of my hair because of the old breakage.

I feel like I should do a bigger chop instead of just microtrimming but it's really not the answer in my case. Even though my ends are thin, they don't have split ends or other damage. All the damage and split ends are around shoulder length which means I'd have to cut my hair really short to get rid of all the damage. And it might grow back just as damaged because you can't really wear buns with shoulder length hair.

It probably sounds like I'm really depressed about my hair but I'm not really :D There are days when it actually looks good and healthy even.

If you are happy with the length maybe stick with microtrimming a bit longer and see if thickness comes down. I have done some pretty big chops to correct ends and sometimes I regret it. I cooukd have gone slower. How much are you thinking? Where is your length of thickness you like ?
Hope I am not sounding like I am telling you what to do. Just sharing a little regret of my own.

Marika
September 2nd, 2014, 05:37 AM
Erin, I think my hair would look pretty thick at APL but yeah, that's too much chopping! :D I took another pic just now and in this photo, it doesn't look that bad :confused: It almost looks like 1-2 inches could already make some difference because my ends do look pretty fried. The bottom pic is from May 16. Now I'm not so sure, am I a slow grower after all? My hands are sort of at waist in both pics and it looks like my hair has grown some. Well, it's been almost 4 months... I just hate my "bald spot", now it's even more obvious with red hair :brickwall

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12804&d=1409656677

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12805&d=1409656709

LauraLongLocks
September 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I'm glad to see the tone of this thread has changed. I actually unsubscribed from it because I didn't need or want to defend myself or others in our perceptions of our hair growth. I didn't want to feel that the hair growth definitions police were going to come and tell us all how wrong we are after all our posts. I didn't want anyone to feel that they didn't belong here because their hair wasn't "slow" enough in growth to fit in. It's not a contest, people. You know what? ALL hair growth is slow! All of it! When you are waiting for it to grow, it is SLOW! Doesn't matter your actual growth rate. It is slow!

Erin, I tried monistat - no change.
I've also tried castor oil - no change.
And essential oils - no change.
Biotin - no change on my hair, but my nails are much better so I'm continuing to use it. They used to peel a lot but now they are much stronger and seem to grow faster.
MSM, horsetail, gelatin, collagen - no change in growth rate, but hair is shinier and healthier than ever.
Caffeine rinses - tried a few times, and no change, but I want to try this again after my pregnancy with caffeine tablets instead of dollar store coffee.

I've always taken cod liver oil, prenatal vitamins, and tried to eat a high-protein diet with lots of vegetables. My hair is nice and healthy from it, I'm sure, but my growth rate remains about the same.

So, I'm at hip length and I'm microtrimming 5 mm a month now to cut out my last layer and face frame. I expect very little progress in length because of this. BCL is just over 4 inches away. You've all heard of the mid-back abyss? Well, I'm naming my journey from hip to BCL my "Big Fat Arse Abyss," lol! I believe it will be a year or more before I make it to BCL, and probably another six months beyond that until I make it to TBL. The nice thing with the microtrimming is that I'm seeing progress in my hemline, even with just the little bits I am trimming off. It all adds up and it is starting to really look the way I want it to. My husband took this pic for me last night. Right hand is at hip, top of the iliac crest (sorry my clothes aren't snug enough for you to see for yourself, but just trust me, I know where my iliac crest is). Left hand is at BCL.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/September52014justbecause011.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/September52014justbecause011.jpg.html)

diddiedaisy
September 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Lol big fat arse abyss. We are nothing if not creative. Nothing has sped up my growth neither, it's very frustrating. I could do with a patience pill.

Akville
September 6th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Nothing worked on me either, but its nice to read and know that there are some else out there that have even slower growth rate than I do :)

gthlvrmx
September 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I'm really starting to understand the saying "A watched pot never boils."
Yeah well I'll just ignore my hair until winter and see what I get for my measurement photos

Lilelfen1
September 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Okay Ladies, I am back on Biotin and Msm. I will let you all know if I see a difference. As I am not Hennaing at the moment, this may be hard to gauge. I really want a thicker braid for Christmas time, my lo's bday. *fingers crossed*

Lilelfen1
September 7th, 2014, 06:14 AM
I'm glad to see the tone of this thread has changed. I actually unsubscribed from it because I didn't need or want to defend myself or others in our perceptions of our hair growth. I didn't want to feel that the hair growth definitions police were going to come and tell us all how wrong we are after all our posts. I didn't want anyone to feel that they didn't belong here because their hair wasn't "slow" enough in growth to fit in. It's not a contest, people. You know what? ALL hair growth is slow! All of it! When you are waiting for it to grow, it is SLOW! Doesn't matter your actual growth rate. It is slow!

Biotin - no change on my hair, but my nails are much better so I'm continuing to use it. They used to peel a lot but now they are much stronger and seem to grow faster.
MSM, horsetail, gelatin, collagen - no change in growth rate, but hair is shinier and healthier than ever.
Caffeine rinses - tried a few times, and no change, but I want to try this again after my pregnancy with caffeine tablets instead of dollar store coffee.

I've always taken cod liver oil, prenatal vitamins, and tried to eat a high-protein diet with lots of vegetables. My hair is nice and healthy from it, I'm sure, but my growth rate remains about the same.

So, I'm at hip length and I'm microtrimming 5 mm a month now to cut out my last layer and face frame. I expect very little progress in length because of this. BCL is just over 4 inches away. You've all heard of the mid-back abyss? Well, I'm naming my journey from hip to BCL my "Big Fat Arse Abyss," lol! I believe it will be a year or more before I make it to BCL, and probably another six months beyond that until I make it to TBL. The nice thing with the microtrimming is that I'm seeing progress in my hemline, even with just the little bits I am trimming off. It all adds up and it is starting to really look the way I want it to. My husband took this pic for me last night. Right hand is at hip, top of the iliac crest (sorry my clothes aren't snug enough for you to see for yourself, but just trust me, I know where my iliac crest is). Left hand is at BCL.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/September52014justbecause011.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/September52014justbecause011.jpg.html)
Hahaha LLL. Your hair is GORGEOUS!!! Can you see my eyes going green??? ;) and your hemline looks fantastic. Those microtrims really must be working miracles for you.

LauraLongLocks
September 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Lol big fat arse abyss. We are nothing if not creative. Nothing has sped up my growth neither, it's very frustrating. I could do with a patience pill. Ha ha! I like to poke fun at myself every now and then. Pass the patience pill my way!

Nothing worked on me either, but its nice to read and know that there are some else out there that have even slower growth rate than I do :) Yup, nothing increased my growth rate, but I'm learning to be content with it anyway.

Hahaha LLL. Your hair is GORGEOUS!!! Can you see my eyes going green??? ;) and your hemline looks fantastic. Those microtrims really must be working miracles for you. Thanks. I have only been microtrimming the last 4 months, taking 5 mm each time. It's a teeny tiny trim, but I am starting to get that last layer trimmed out and cleaned up. It has been over six years since my pixie cut, and I trimmed about every 3 months until this year. Then I went 6 months no-trim followed by me doing my own microtrims. Six years to grow out my pixie-mullet and grow to hip length. Not really, really slow, but not phenomenally fast, either. So maybe another 6 years until I make it to knee?

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2014, 01:47 PM

I was going to try liver cod vitamin a&d ointment like you would monistat. Is that how you did yours? I am using biotin, msn, and vitamins. I have a terrible diet and no time to work out anymore.

LauraLongLocks
September 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I was going to try liver cod vitamin a&d ointment like you would monistat. Is that how you did yours? I am using biotin, msn, and vitamins. I have a terrible diet and no time to work out anymore.

No, I take cod liver oil capsules orally. It's important to buy a good brand. I use Carlson brand. It's a decent brand.

The recommended amount on the bottle isn't much. I take 4-5 cod liver oil capsules every day. I've done that for at least 12 years, if not longer.

I don't think I would try A&D ointment in my hair. It might be difficult to get it out.

I'm big on eating a healthy diet, though I admit it is a lot of work to keep it up with my big family. I basically ensure that we have raw milk, butter, fresh eggs, leafy greens, and canned salmon or tuna in the house at all times. That's the base of our diets. I keep frozen veggies in the freezer and try to buy a few other fresh veggies for snacking. The kids like to eat fresh bell peppers and carrots as snacks. Sometimes one of them will even grab a head of romaine lettuce and eat it in front of the TV. A WHOLE HEAD OF LETTUCE! I don't buy soda, chips, pre-packaged snack foods, or candy, except on rare, special occasion. I try to use whole grains when I use grains at all, and fruit is really tough to keep in stock because they go through it so fast. I usually buy some canned fruit and some fresh and we just eat canned as soon as the fresh is gone (3 days, tops, no matter how much fresh fruit I buy!). The canned fruit is usually eaten at a rate of 2 quarts a day, so it also goes fast. We also enjoy beans. I add them to ground beef to stretch the meat, and I usually have at least one Mexican meal every week including beans. We also like baked beans, though I usually add extra beans to the canned type because they are sickening sweet to me otherwise. I strive to eat at least 100 grams protein every day, and when I am pregnant I try to increase that to 130 grams a day.

I run, bike, swim and lift weights. Mostly running though. That's my sport of choice. When I'm feeling ill I still try and get out for at least a mile or two walk every day. It does a lot to lift spirits and invigorate me.

I don't know if any of that helps my hair growth, but I'm in excellent health, and have excellent teeth still, despite having so many babies. Maybe it's good genetics? Maybe it's genetics plus good care? In any case, I don't think it hurts to take care of one's self. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. AND, I have found I have a lot more patience and motivation to serve others endlessly if I have first taken care of myself.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2014, 05:51 PM
No, I take cod liver oil capsules orally. It's important to buy a good brand. I use Carlson brand. It's a decent brand.

The recommended amount on the bottle isn't much. I take 4-5 cod liver oil capsules every day. I've done that for at least 12 years, if not longer.

I don't think I would try A&D ointment in my hair. It might be difficult to get it out.

I'm big on eating a healthy diet, though I admit it is a lot of work to keep it up with my big family. I basically ensure that we have raw milk, butter, fresh eggs, leafy greens, and canned salmon or tuna in the house at all times. That's the base of our diets. I keep frozen veggies in the freezer and try to buy a few other fresh veggies for snacking. The kids like to eat fresh bell peppers and carrots as snacks. Sometimes one of them will even grab a head of romaine lettuce and eat it in front of the TV. A WHOLE HEAD OF LETTUCE! I don't buy soda, chips, pre-packaged snack foods, or candy, except on rare, special occasion. I try to use whole grains when I use grains at all, and fruit is really tough to keep in stock because they go through it so fast. I usually buy some canned fruit and some fresh and we just eat canned as soon as the fresh is gone (3 days, tops, no matter how much fresh fruit I buy!). The canned fruit is usually eaten at a rate of 2 quarts a day, so it also goes fast. We also enjoy beans. I add them to ground beef to stretch the meat, and I usually have at least one Mexican meal every week including beans. We also like baked beans, though I usually add extra beans to the canned type because they are sickening sweet to me otherwise. I strive to eat at least 100 grams protein every day, and when I am pregnant I try to increase that to 130 grams a day.

I run, bike, swim and lift weights. Mostly running though. That's my sport of choice. When I'm feeling ill I still try and get out for at least a mile or two walk every day. It does a lot to lift spirits and invigorate me.

I don't know if any of that helps my hair growth, but I'm in excellent health, and have excellent teeth still, despite having so many babies. Maybe it's good genetics? Maybe it's genetics plus good care? In any case, I don't think it hurts to take care of one's self. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. AND, I have found I have a lot more patience and motivation to serve others endlessly if I have first taken care of myself.

I like raw fruit and veggies. I love hard boiled eggs as a snack or meal two eggs is all I need for a meal.
my teeth got knocked out a few of them with pipe wrenches. Oh well and one bar fight. I won it but that's another life time. I don't drink anymore. I used to walk a lot and lift weights as my work out choice. I take flaxseed oil pills are they the same thing as cod liver oil pills?

LauraLongLocks
September 7th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I like raw fruit and veggies. I love hard boiled eggs as a snack or meal two eggs is all I need for a meal.
my teeth got knocked out a few of them with pipe wrenches. Oh well and one bar fight. I won it but that's another life time. I don't drink anymore. I used to walk a lot and lift weights as my work out choice. I take flaxseed oil pills are they the same thing as cod liver oil pills?

Sorry you lost a few teeth. Ouch!

Flaxseed is not the same as cod liver oil, though they are both rich in omega-3 fatty acids.

Cod liver oil comes from cod fish and is rich in EPA, DHA, and vitamins A and D.

Flaxseed oil comes from flax seeds and must be expeller-expressed so it does not become rancid in the process of extracting the oil. It is easy to let it go rancid, so it must be stored in refrigeration at all times. It is rich in vitamin E, but has no vitamin A or D in it.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Sorry you lost a few teeth. Ouch!

Flaxseed is not the same as cod liver oil, though they are both rich in omega-3 fatty acids.

Cod liver oil comes from cod fish and is rich in EPA, DHA, and vitamins A and D.

Flaxseed oil comes from flax seeds and must be expeller-expressed so it does not become rancid in the process of extracting the oil. It is easy to let it go rancid, so it must be stored in refrigeration at all times. It is rich in vitamin E, but has no vitamin A or D in it.

I might try liver cod oil. It sounds better then flaxseed. I'm over my teeth issue. I'm going to get my face fixed someday. I might do it in a year or less.

LauraLongLocks
September 9th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I might try liver cod oil. It sounds better then flaxseed. I'm over my teeth issue. I'm going to get my face fixed someday. I might do it in a year or less.

That will be so nice to have them fixed. You must post before and after pics. Good luck to you with the cod liver oil.

Dark Queen
September 9th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Hey all, I'm feeling pretty discouraged lately, and I just wanted to share. I'm not sure if I'm growing really slowly, or if I've just hit a stall. I've been taking care of my hair as best I can and I've tried adding vitamins, yet I'm still not seeing a whole lot of difference. I've also been under a ton of stress, so I'm sure that isn't helping either. I'd just love to find another way to keep my hair growing longer and thicker like I'd always wanted

jacqueline101
September 9th, 2014, 10:11 PM
That will be so nice to have them fixed. You must post before and after pics. Good luck to you with the cod liver oil.

I will. As soon as I get my insurance straightened out. I'll have to some one watch my brother. If I'm doing this I'm going to make a vacation out of it.

Rushli
September 9th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I am not a slow grower. I have stayed pretty average since late winter. I do however have a question for you all. I read about LLL wanting to do caffeine on her scalp for hair growth but was waiting until she is not pregnant. If I remember correctly, the thought is that caffeine increases your circulation. Today I was cleaning my herb and oil closet (aka linen closet that now holds very few towels) and found my big jar of ginger powder. I bought it in bulk for an ingredient in a detox foot bath because it aids in increasing circulation. I wonder if I added some to my conditioner and let it set for awhile, if it would act like the caffeine? (And I wonder if it would be an acceptable alternative for pregnant women? I don't plan on having another baby until next summer, but it does not hurt to know incase this works and I want to keep doing it!)

Eta: Meteor shared this link in another thread about ginger. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0057226#pone-0057226-g005

ExpectoPatronum
September 10th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I'm not really a slow grower, but with how often I trim I sure feel like I'm getting nowhere fast!

DarkQueen, my growth slows down in times of stress. You should take a day to pamper yourself and really help relieve some of that stress. It can make a big difference.

SunnyIC
September 11th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Lately I feel so close and yet so far. By now I think I should be, at least, much closer to BSL and it's still not. When I measured it (according to the tape) it should be 5cm away which isn't much, but I think it's way farther from that (even looking at my back with two mirrors it looks like it will take an eternity to get there). The stretched end (longest layers) reaches my bra, but I was adjusting the straps and the way it sits because I really have no idea where my bra should sit! I feel that maybe it's still not BSL because I wear my bra too low on my back (the back "elastic" was almost at waist) but even with the adjustments I still have to stretch it. The other day when I measured I felt so happy that it was almost there and now I just feel so bummed and sad like it will never reach it and it stopped growing altogether. So many months have gone by and I still feel like I'm the exact same place. :(

RainbowBowser
September 11th, 2014, 12:22 PM
My growth rate is also average but as of late I just feel so stalled. Its probably an illusion and the kettle metaphor comes to mind. I've been hanging around "just past BSL" all summer. Just put it up and don't think about it I tell myself