PDA

View Full Version : Got Snarls? I have a tip for you!

Madora
August 1st, 2014, 12:05 PM
:) Discovered this by accident yesterday when preparing to detangle my hair after shampooing. While I had used my usual 4 drops of Mineral Oil, I was still experiencing a bunch of small snarls located just above my ear. I hate those with a passion! My lower back was also killing me, so I threw caution to the wind and using a cotton baby swab, swabbed my wide tooth comb with a bit in mineral oil (both sides of comb), then gently began to comb out the snarls. It worked!!!!!! I was so tickled that I had to share it with you all.:cheese:

amino
August 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM
Oh, wow. I'll keep this in mind. :D Thanks!

RapunzelKat
August 1st, 2014, 12:23 PM
Mineral oil is indeed fabulous for detangling :) I once used it to detangle matted hair, and it made it SO much easier.

Thanks for sharing, Madora, this is a great trick to keep in mind for those bad tangle days! I hope your back feels better! :flower:

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2014, 12:33 PM
I'm going to try this I'm always dealing with dangles. I wonder if it would work with matts.

Majorane
August 1st, 2014, 12:55 PM
WHOOP! That's good news, I am gonna try that! And with a wooden fork, or horn one, I imagine it keeps the comb nicely oiled as well...

meteor
August 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Awesome advice! :D Thank you very much for sharing, Madora! :flower:
Just a quick question: Does oiling a comb make it harder to clean it later? (I'm wondering about dust and lint sticking to oil.)
Thank you! :)

AmyBeth
August 1st, 2014, 01:38 PM
I will be trying this. It sounds like a good method of distributing oils evenly,too.

MINAKO
August 1st, 2014, 01:43 PM
Sounds great, need to try this! Never thought of it even tho i occasionally dust my BBB with shine spray after straightening my hair, sure a good way to distribute the product.

darklyndsea
August 1st, 2014, 01:52 PM
I've found that dipping my comb in my coconut oil is the best way to distribute it through my hair (pretty sure I use ridiculous amounts of it though, so I don't recommend dipping for others).

RapunzelKat
August 1st, 2014, 01:52 PM
I'm going to try this I'm always dealing with dangles. I wonder if it would work with matts.

I've had good luck using mineral oil to detangle mats. You just need more for matted hair.
:)

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2014, 03:59 PM
I've had good luck using mineral oil to detangle mats. You just need more for matted hair.
:)

Okay thanks. I know it's good for bubble gum removal.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 1st, 2014, 04:09 PM
Many thanks for this great tip, Madora, you never know when it will become useful. I hope your back stops aching.

lapushka
August 1st, 2014, 04:36 PM
Doesn't your hair get oily though, so close to the root? Sounds like a great method, otherwise! :D :thumbsup:

queenovnight
August 1st, 2014, 04:39 PM
I've never actually tried mineral oil, but I might just have to hop on that train. Thanks for the tip!

Madora
August 1st, 2014, 07:24 PM
RapunzelKat and Sarahlabyrinth, thank you both for your concerns about my back. That God, it is not with me all the time. Stress seems to bring it on..and heaven knows detangling this knee length mop is a job and a half!

Meteor - I always clean my comb after using mineral oil. I can't stand the idea of an unclean comb and if the MO was left on there, it would attract all kinds of stuff from the air. Not for me! I have no idea of what MO might do to wooden combs, though.

Lapushka - the mineral oil I brush on the comb tines is very minimal, so I have no trouble with greasies on my scalp. My scalp is pretty dry anyway.

I hope this tip helps you all. I never thought of the "spreading the oil" possibility but if it helps, all the better. I'd just caution you not to use too much oil.

Wildcat Diva
August 1st, 2014, 08:23 PM
I am thankful for remembering what a very few drops of mineral oil can do for tangles. Better than cones, I tried that!

lapushka
August 2nd, 2014, 04:33 AM
Lapushka - the mineral oil I brush on the comb tines is very minimal, so I have no trouble with greasies on my scalp. My scalp is pretty dry anyway.

I guess if it's pretty minimal... My scalp is greasy, which is why I was concerned! Thanks for reassuring me!

longhairvixen
August 2nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
i thought mineral oil was bad for hair

Madora
August 2nd, 2014, 08:35 PM
No, it is not, provided you use it correctly (that is, very sparingly).

lapushka
August 3rd, 2014, 06:50 AM
i thought mineral oil was bad for hair

It's often used in damp hair to seal in moisture. Just 2 drops in the palm of your hand, then rub your palms together, and spread through the ends. It's magic! :D

LongCurlyTress
August 3rd, 2014, 07:03 AM
It's often used in damp hair to seal in moisture. Just 2 drops in the palm of your hand, then rub your palms together, and spread through the ends. It's magic! :D

I agree lapushka! I use John Freida Hair Serum, Extra Strength, yes, it does have cones, but it also has mineral oil and if you only use a small drop or two, from ears down, it detangles like a charm when my 3b hair is all tangly after I wash it. It works!!! The only concern is that if I don't use it every time I detangle, my hair seems to tangle worse than before. So I have to keep using it like an addiction!! LOL! I have a feeling it does dry out my hair, but I am desperate and the JF Hair Serum works to detangle. :happydance: