PDA

View Full Version : Question about S&Ding?

Leslieslsa
August 1st, 2014, 07:25 AM
What kind of hairs do you generally opt to trim out? Only splits, or the ones that are bent up too? I asked the lady at Sally's if the ones that we bent were bad ends and she said no. But I usually trim those off too. What do you guys do?

Caraid♫
August 1st, 2014, 07:28 AM
if it's bent, like literally at a 90 degree angle, I cut it because it's surely going to break and make a split soon I figure, but I leave it if it's bent in a curvy sort of way. And then of course I trim splits and the uglier looking white dot ends (It's too much work to get all of them! I have splitty hair :) )

neko_kawaii
August 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM
Sometimes I can see a clearly weak spot in the bent ones and I'll trim that off, otherwise I leave it be.

Madora
August 1st, 2014, 07:36 AM
I only snip split ends and white dots. Have never seen a bent hair.

Beezle
August 1st, 2014, 07:41 AM
Does everyone have white dots on their hair, or could it be that my eyesight is so bad that I've never seen them?

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2014, 07:50 AM
I clip white dots,splits, and bent hairs. Hairs that have weakened spots. I go over board on mine so make sure if you s&d you don't clip ends of grown out layers or breakage like I did I'm finally growing that out.

lilin
August 1st, 2014, 07:58 AM
If there's a sharp angle, I trim it. It's going to turn into a split eventually.

Beezle - Well, it doesn't seem like there is anything that is true of everyone. You might just not get that kind of split. :) I do see white dots occasionally.

Beezle
August 1st, 2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks lilin. I really wasn't sure so I appreciate your answer. It could easily be that they're there and I can't see them but for now I'll tell myself I don't have them. It's easier than the alternative :eye:

hairpleasegrow
August 1st, 2014, 10:54 AM
I have fine hair that has been bleached, so I get a lot of bends and white dots. I also have hairs that look like they are thin at the ends, so I SandD all of these. I find if my ends are crackily my s an d turns into a trim :( Sand Ding takes a lot of self restraint (I find)

Caraid♫
August 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Does everyone have white dots on their hair, or could it be that my eyesight is so bad that I've never seen them?
I don't think everyone gets them- some people don't even get splits (lucky ones :) ) but if you're wondering, they are much more visible in sunlight I think. If you can't see them though, I bet you're just lucky and have really healthy ends!

Anje
August 1st, 2014, 02:26 PM
I tend to trim the bad bends, in addition to the obvious splits. They may not be split, but they cause tangles that lead to splits for me.

queenovnight
August 1st, 2014, 02:30 PM
Splits, white dots and any spots that just appear weak or damaged. - Sometimes this is bent ends, but I usually lightly tug at them first. For me, when I tug on the bent hairs, they usually break if it's damaged. So I go ahead and cut a bit up that hair.

MINAKO
August 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
For some reason S&D doesn't work for me, although my ends do get a bit dry/rough/crunchy at some point long after the last trim, i never get splits, bendies or white dots, not even one. But i do expirience the occasional fairy knot and those drive me mad when i feel them. Not much tho, like one or two within a week that i can find and eliminate.

EarthArtist
August 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Ok newbie here...
What is S&Ding and how often do you trim? Do you trim your hair yourself? Can you point me in the direction of tutorials. Sorry for all the questions ☺️

Caraid♫
August 1st, 2014, 03:06 PM
Ok newbie here...
What is S&Ding and how often do you trim? Do you trim your hair yourself? Can you point me in the direction of tutorials. Sorry for all the questions ☺️

s&d = search and destroy, meaning, search for split ends and snip them off individually :) kind of time consuming but you don't lose so much length

I use this method to trim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc
I trim every two months, 1/4 inch, but you can trim as little or as much as you think you need of course!

EarthArtist
August 1st, 2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info!! Love this place. Learning so much in my old age!!

MINAKO
August 1st, 2014, 03:17 PM
My last "real" trim (like 4 inches) was bacl in august last year. SInce then i dusted my ends like 2 or 3 times. I part it in the middl, bring both sides forward , tie a pony under my jaw, look straight on to the mirror and cut a little bit off the ends in a horizontal line. Then i snip the shorter bits in the front individually. All melts together into a flat V shape, whick i hope i can gradually increase over time as it grows and tapers more.

RapunzelKat
August 1st, 2014, 04:09 PM
Generally if I find a bent end, I'll run my fingers down it to see if it feels rough or damaged. If I feel a bump or rough spot, off it goes ;)

Timea
August 1st, 2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks lilin. I really wasn't sure so I appreciate your answer. It could easily be that they're there and I can't see them but for now I'll tell myself I don't have them. It's easier than the alternative :eye:

I thought I didn't get them but when I look at my ends very closely I can see them. I don't think I have them further up though.

Federica
August 2nd, 2014, 04:09 AM
I trim only splits, because I hardly find any white dot since I grew my chemical damage away.
If I find a bent hair I cut it only if it's broken on the angle.
Sometimes I find some super tiny knots at the end of my hair, and since I'm not able of untying them, I cut them as well.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2014, 04:21 AM
Only splits or white dots, nothing else. Everything else is fixed by washing. Usually bent ends are from styling, or from updos. Nothing to worry about. My hair hasn't needed an S&D session in years. I think that is due to my washing & styling method (moisture, moisture, moisture... and silicones).

Beezle
August 2nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
I don't think everyone gets them- some people don't even get splits (lucky ones :) ) but if you're wondering, they are much more visible in sunlight I think. If you can't see them though, I bet you're just lucky and have really healthy ends!
Thanks Caraid - I peered at my hair in sunlight but still couldn't see any white dots (lots of grey strands but no white dots!). Maybe this blessing is in exchange for having scrawny, uncooperative, receding hair! Hey, I have catch a break sometime :wink:

Drosmand7
August 2nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
I get them all; the bents, the dots, the fairy knots, you name 'em.. I got 'em. And off they all go!