PDA

View Full Version : Bad Haircut Advice

animetor7
July 31st, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hey all, I know this has probably been posted a million times before, but I got a dreaded bad haircut yesterday. My hairdresser who I'd been going to for years retired so I had to try someone new. I asked for a trim, they gave me awful 4-6 inch long chopped bits in the front and cut an inch off of the bottom of my previously hip-length hair. I don't dare go back anywhere for fear of losing more length, but I hate it! I'm thinking of just keeping it up for the next year and when necessary trimming splits myself. Any suggestions for updos to hide the damage, ways to make hair grow faster and self-trimming methods would be much appreciated!

I know, there have been many a bad haircut threads, so direction to those threads would also be appreciated!

Thanks,

Animetor7

P.S. Commiserating is also fine. ;)

lapushka
July 31st, 2014, 03:14 PM
So basically you have lost 1 inch off the back and 4 to 6 inches in front. In about a year that's going to be back at your previous length, if that's any consolation. We've all had our share of bad haircuts (me included: several in fact). You can't glue it back on, so you're stuck with it for a while, until it grows back out. I wish there was something I could say to console you, the fact that it's "only" going to take a year to revert itself might be enough, I don't know. In any case, many hugs to you. :grouphug:

apynip
July 31st, 2014, 03:17 PM
I hate when Stylists do that... Not all of them do luckily but I still hate it when it happens. As to how to hide it maybe use some no heat curls? are thew 4-6" pieces supposed to 'frame the face'? Maybe you could roll them back and pin them like with a gibson tuck? Or french braids might help? I'm not really sure what they look like but if you want to hide them those are some options.

irodaryne
July 31st, 2014, 03:22 PM
I swear some stylists just do not know what "trim" means. Idk I'm trying to imagine how "I'd just like a trim" can possibly be fathomed to "please make the hair around my face about 4-6 inches" I can understand her taking an inch off, especially if your hair is at hip length. One inch off of hip length hair may not seem like much to a stylist. But the hair around you face...... *shakes head*

animetor7
July 31st, 2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I know, not as bad as losing more length, but I'm just bummed I basically can't wear my hair down while it's like this. I like to do so for special occasions like my birthday. And I had hoped to reach tailbone length in the next year which I don't really think will be an option as I'll probably cut to the length of the chunks in a year or so when they're back to at least waist or hip length. Thank you for the hugs!

animetor7
July 31st, 2014, 03:24 PM
Yup, I'm thinking french braids or something similar for a while at least. And many pins!

Dessi
July 31st, 2014, 11:23 PM
Oh, something similar happened to me the last time I went to the hairdresser. (which a year and a half ago). The hair that was cut in the front wasn't that much but it was only at shoulder length! (while the back was at MBL). I hated it but now that it grew to somewhere around BSL I really love it! I think I'll always cut it to BSL and let the rest of my hair grow to Classic. I'd say - just wait. You may like it when it grow longer. As for a hairstyle - I would suggest a half up. When I'm annoyed at my top layer (waist length) I make a half up and I can enjoy the rest of my hair which is past hip.

Majorane
August 1st, 2014, 06:22 AM
I have the easiest to cut hair ever and it's unbelievable how often I have been mis-cutted, I so feel your pain :wail: How stupid the hairdresser didn't listen! (and the worst part, stammering 'uh, yes, no, I like it, it's okay' and paying and leaving with the fake smile and that stone in your stomach....)

But why can't you wear it down now-is the front shorter part not properly bleded in with the lengtier bits, or do you not identificate with the look?

Hugs to you, this sucks :(

ErinLeigh
August 1st, 2014, 11:47 AM
I have the easiest to cut hair ever and it's unbelievable how often I have been mis-cutted, I so feel your pain :wail: How stupid the hairdresser didn't listen! (and the worst part, stammering 'uh, yes, no, I like it, it's okay' and paying and leaving with the fake smile and that stone in your stomach....)

But why can't you wear it down now-is the front shorter part not properly bleded in with the lengtier bits, or do you not identificate with the look?

Hugs to you, this sucks :(

All this exactly. :(
I am so sorry about the haircut.
Can you explain how the choppy bits look? Are they blended or just random bits where they tried to get artsy?
if you are willing to post a picture it would help in suggesting whether it should get blended it just left to grow for a while.

Again in I am really sorry about the haircut. I know how deeply upsetting it is.

spidermom
August 1st, 2014, 12:43 PM
I've had a bad haircut or two also. I hope you come to like the cut that you got; that would make the grow out a lot easier. I went from all one length to layered. My shortest bits were around shoulder to collarbone with my longest bits at waist. I loved it then and love it now. It did take some getting used to, though. I couldn't do the same styles. Now that the shortest bits are somewhere between APL and BSL and the longest bits at hip, I have a few more styling options, which I appreciate.

Dessi
August 1st, 2014, 11:21 PM
I've had a bad haircut or two also. I hope you come to like the cut that you got; that would make the grow out a lot easier. I went from all one length to layered. My shortest bits were around shoulder to collarbone with my longest bits at waist. I loved it then and love it now. It did take some getting used to, though. I couldn't do the same styles. Now that the shortest bits are somewhere between APL and BSL and the longest bits at hip, I have a few more styling options, which I appreciate.

Can you please tell me which styles you were able to do back then and you are not able to do know?
Sorry, that was a little off topic.

hairpleasegrow
August 1st, 2014, 11:33 PM
Who knows maybe in a month or so you might like it….once it settles a bit the bad haircuts don't seem so bad. Sorry that happened to you.