PDA

View Full Version : Have been growing out my pixie cut….

RSunny
July 31st, 2014, 08:44 AM
October of 2013 I cut my hair to a pixie length after having some extreme hair loss. I've only successfully grown my hair out to long (BSL) during college and, to be honest, I wasn't happy with it. I've always wanted to have that thick, luxurious, soft hair that you see in pictures. Theoretically with medium thickness and a medium sized ponytail (as far as I can tell by adding together several small ponytails = approx 3.5-4 inches), I should be able to successfully grow out my hair and have it look normal? Right now, I'm at almost chin length and I'm officially in the awkward and frustrating phase where I'm also one inch away from going to the salon and cutting it all off again. I guess I'm really wanting a forum where I can get support from others who are experiencing/have experienced similar frustrations to keep going. Looking forward to sharing my journey with everyone…you all have such beautiful hair!

spidermom
July 31st, 2014, 09:15 AM
I grew out from pixie. It seems to take a long time while you're doing it, but once you get to about armpit length, you'll look back and realize that it didn't take so long after all.

I had regular small trims as I grew. I went from short layers to long layers and finally no layers at about bottom of shoulder-blade length. I had a stylist who was very supportive of my decision to grow.

SnowbirdRose
July 31st, 2014, 10:08 AM
Hello and welcome RSunny.:blossom: I'm right in the middle of the awkward stage of growing out a pixie. My longest layers are just grazing my shoulders. I've got wispy bits that have a tendency to stick out in all directions. I hope when they get past shoulder length they will calm down a bit.:o

irodaryne
July 31st, 2014, 10:56 AM
I just got past the annoying awkward stage with my pixie cut. There's that one point, right before you can tie it all (minus the bangs) back, that to me is the WORST phase of growing out a pixie. Once you can tie it back when it gets annoying, it gets better. I'd suggest being very gentle with you hair and maybe give yourself scalp massages (I dunno I feel like scalp massages help because it gets bloodflow going to the skull). When you can tie it back try not to tie it back super tight. Also, bobby pins, bobby pins to pin back the parts wanting to go in your face. Allllll the bobby pins.

The longest part of my grown out pixie is an inch below the tops of my shoulders and I've been growing it out since the beginning of this Feburary (I guess my hair just grows fast or something because it was originally maybe half an inch long).

RSunny
July 31st, 2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! This time of growing it out, I'm not using a flat iron and my hair is of the texture where it is suuuuper annoying at just shy of chin length. I'm powering through…I've started just letting it do it's thing and use a low heat setting on my blow drying with a diffuser is actually easier and just makes my hair look a little wild :D I can't wait until it hits ponytail length!! that will make my life so much more wonderful.

I do give myself head massages a few times a week. I definitely think it helps. I also do oil treatments to increase blood flow and clay detoxes to purge pores/hair follicle base of crud that could thin out my hair shafts. I think i'm doing it right this time to keep my hair as thick and healthy as possible. I'm so jealous of the iii hair types! Just hoping my ii will look beautiful and thick as it grows.

irodaryne
July 31st, 2014, 04:54 PM
What I'd do when my hair was that length was I'd wear this really thin hat of mine, which kept it out of my face. It's kind of like a beanie hat but not exactly. It's more squarish and is made out of t-shirt material. I happen to be from the southwest and am currently living in the pacific northwest, so I didn't find it to terribly hot, but depending on where you live it might not be doable.

lapushka
July 31st, 2014, 05:32 PM
Welcome to LHC. These threads will be quite useful to you!

The shorties thread (encouragement and support to grow):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405

Good hair care for shorties:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123817

amino
July 31st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Gah, I remember the pain when growing out a pixie cut. Wishing you all the best!

Johannah
August 2nd, 2014, 02:25 AM
Welcome to this forum! :blossom:

browneyedsusan
August 2nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Welcome!
I'm another previous pixie wearer. (I'm an exception to most here, because I loved it for a really long time!) When I decided to grow, I grew in earnest: no trims for 10 months, and pinning the top/front up every, stinking day. It looked like a hot mess when it was down, but NO ONE knew because it was up constantly. The steady stream of twists, braids, clips, whatever kept the outside world distracted from my daily reality.

You can do this! Visit that shorty thread, and meet your new best hairgrowing-buddies! :)