PDA

View Full Version : Men with long hair.. what do i do with this?

TheIronicIron
July 31st, 2014, 02:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/AM5XEJ4.jpg

Im growing my hair long and its getting to that stage where its all messy and everyone Is telling me to get a haircut lol. I have to brush it out of my face all the time. The pic you can see is how it is every day... What can I do to make I neat without spending too long in the mirror?

Brynja
July 31st, 2014, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the LHC,Iron
Don't mind what other people say about your hair,it's really none of their business anyhow. About your 'messy' hair,the picture is too small to really see anything but sometimes hair just gets to that awkward length that somehow displeases everyone around 'ya :rolleyes: you can either wait to grow it out at a more visually appealing length or cut it,which obviously 'ya don't want to do since you're here :run:
Either way,there are tons of different hair care tips that suit different kinds of hair,not everything posted here will suit yours,you need to figure out your hairtype first and lurk around a bit :whistle:

Dreams_in_Pink
July 31st, 2014, 06:24 AM
Welcome aboard! :D

The pic is small, but from what i can see it doesn't look bad at all?

EdG
July 31st, 2014, 07:25 AM
You are in the "awkward stage" - hair that has become long enough to fall in one's face, but not yet long enough to stay put behind one's back. You just have to wait. A ponytail can help once your hair gets long enough.

As for the comments, they will go away once your hair gets longer. In fact, strangers will pretend that they weren't staring when one's hair reaches the lower half of one's body. ;)

Welcome to LHC! :)
Ed

Kina
July 31st, 2014, 07:32 AM
I've seen men use elastic headbands at that stage and it can look quite nice. Easily available in the hair accessories section. My nephew uses them to hold back his dreds, looks great and not effeminate (nothing wrong with effeminate, if that's what you're going for, but IME with the long haired men in my family, they try to avoid that)

AmyBeth
July 31st, 2014, 08:25 AM
Yep, when DH decided to grow his hair out from very close clipped to as long as it will grow, he also went through all of the unavoidable awkward stages as well, including the dreaded mullet stage. If you want to get from here to there, you just have to do it. I love the look of a man in those elastic headbands, although that might attract even more attention than your hair already does.Try to keep focused on what you want and not let the comments deter you from your goal. And for what it's worth, I think your hair is adorably shaggy (sorry I couldn't come up with a better choice of words).

RileyJane
July 31st, 2014, 08:54 AM
I know a few of my guy friends started wearing small and basically invisible headbands, or even low ponytails to just keep it out of their face so that they werent always pushing it out of the way. you could try that til it gets a couple inches longer and then it should be way more manageable. but congrats on growing your hair out! dont give up, long hair on guys can still look neat and put together, trust me :) or you can just let it all hang out and watch the girls drool...(whenever i see male long hair i just do one of these :thud: )

spidermom
July 31st, 2014, 08:59 AM
You can use gel to comb your hair back when it's damp. Get one with good hold.

Or you can get clear aloe vera gel if you're the natural type.

Gertrude
July 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
I second gel, it isn't subtle but will hold back quite a bit of hair. I see it on young men with very long top sections, hipster look, gel. Also gel and the discreet bobby pin you can't really see. The elastic hair-bands although they should be subtle and unobtrusive either work for someone or don't. To do with the hairline I think.

The last few weeks I have seen lots of tourists in London and some of them have the most amazing gorgeous long hair. Held in low pony tails, but amazing. Just stunningly attractive. Yes, I am happily married to a short haired man, but they are long haired eye candy .

TheIronicIron
August 1st, 2014, 12:12 AM
You are in the "awkward stage" - hair that has become long enough to fall in one's face, but not yet long enough to stay put behind one's back. You just have to wait. A ponytail can help once your hair gets long enough.

As for the comments, they will go away once your hair gets longer. In fact, strangers will pretend that they weren't staring when one's hair reaches the lower half of one's body. ;)

Welcome to LHC! :)
Ed

Lol I see. Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll take the hint and wait it out. I tried separating both halves of my fringe and when I looked at the mirror it felt very weird, LOL. Ill just keep brushing it out of my face and trying to learn to love the wind. Are there any ways you can put your hair other than what u see in the picture? Without needing additional pomade, tattoos and giant ear rings to go with it. haha

TheIronicIron
August 1st, 2014, 12:17 AM
I've seen men use elastic headbands at that stage and it can look quite nice. Easily available in the hair accessories section. My nephew uses them to hold back his dreds, looks great and not effeminate (nothing wrong with effeminate, if that's what you're going for, but IME with the long haired men in my family, they try to avoid that)

You mean, like a basketball headband? Not really my style ahaha. It looks too girly IMO.

JustPam
August 1st, 2014, 05:03 AM
How about a bandana?

TheIronicIron
August 1st, 2014, 05:19 AM
How about a bandana?

Like a pirate?

Kina
August 1st, 2014, 05:26 AM
You mean, like a basketball headband? Not really my style ahaha. It looks too girly IMO.

kind of, but not decorated, more like this: http://www.target.com/p/goody-ouchless-black-headband/-/A-13653613?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=13653613&CPNG=Unassigned&kpid=13653613&LID=13pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13653613&kpid=13653613&gclid=CMn1i8X68b8CFSdp7AodD00AhQ

schnibbles
August 1st, 2014, 05:41 AM
^^^ That's what I was thinking of too, Kina. The thin, plain, black ones. Appropriate for either girls or guys.

moontree
August 1st, 2014, 06:08 AM
Bandanas also work, a lot of the long hair guys I know wear those even with longer hair, to cut back on the frizzies. You can also put what you are able to into a ponytail in the back and part your fringe in the middle.

lilin
August 1st, 2014, 06:43 AM
It all depends how you wanna handle it. It's your hair! Don't let other people discourage you.

You can certainly just wait it out, understanding it will be a bit annoying for a while. Eventually, your hair will get used to being parted, and it will just sort of "fall" that way automatically. Your bangs will still be kind of in your face, but not as much. It will start staying off to the side better.

You can go the "man band" route. :D Soccer players do it a lot!

I knew a guy who slicked it back until it was long enough to get most of it in a ponytail (then, with maybe a pin or two to hold his bangs back until all of it was long enough to stay in the hair binder). He wasn't the tattooed hipster type -- he was more of a classically put together guy, and it made him look quite "gentlemanly," actually. It all depends on how you wear it.

I knew another guy who just said, "Screw what they say," and just used a bobby to hold his bangs back. That works too!

When I was growing out from roughly your length, personally I just dealt with it. But of course, my hair is very used to being parted and has been for literally decades. Even short, it still had a part. So it stayed to the side reasonably well.

Happy growing!

flemeister
August 1st, 2014, 09:56 AM
Choose your poison hehe: http://youtu.be/ehBH67BoBWU?t=1m45s

Alice band (Paul Hunter) and bobby pin (Ronnie O'Sullivan)

-- In the early stage of growing my hair out (male btw =P), I didn't need anything to hold it out of my face, until it was long enough to get in my eyes (was a decent looking shag by then).
-- Next stage was to add a bobby pin (ala. Ronnie) to hold my fringe/bangs back at an angle. A black one to mostly match my hair colour, though it was in plain sight. I resolved to ignore any snide remarks, though no one really cared anyway. :rolleyes:
-- Next was a short ponytail, still with bobby pins to hold the fringe out of the way. A bit of gel also helped to keep hair away from my face. Small improvement.
-- As my hair grew longer, the bobby pins migrated closer to my ears, until finally they could be clipped in behind my ears, out of sight.
-- I'm almost at mid-back length now, and haven't needed bobby pins for quite a while (all hair long enough to reach the elastic). :)

PrincessBob
August 1st, 2014, 10:11 AM
Most of my guy friends lived in bandannas at that stage, many of the longer haired ones still wear bandannas regularly. I have an old blog post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=74519)on how best to use a bandanna to avoid slipping. The journey is half the fun. Grow on!

PsychoLoverly
August 1st, 2014, 03:10 PM
One of my guy friends is at that stage, and he just slicks the bangs to the side, and puts on a baseball cap. He says it keeps the hair outta the way, and he has a couple to rotate, so he doesn't have to wash them all the time. Hope that helped while your waiting to put it into a pony :D