PDA

View Full Version : My scalp is not happy. Advice?

Khristopher
July 30th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Well I've noticed a few weeks ago my scalp started to itch a day or two before washday. It never happened to me before so I'm rather surprised. I think I have some dandruff too, when I scritch my itching scalp, it looks like it's snowing lol. It's winter here, could it be that my the dry wheather is affecting my skin?
And I was thinking putting some aloe vera gel directly... is that a good idea? How do you deal with this?

Entangled
July 30th, 2014, 05:34 PM
What is your wash schedule like? What products do you currently use?

Khristopher
July 30th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Wash once a week with diluted sls shampoo, then a coffee-nettle-horsetail concoction for a few minutes, a light coneless conditioner and finish with an ACV rinse. I've done this routine for almost a year without problems. The coffee rinse I've been doing it for 2 months but I don't think it's causing this problem.

Firefox7275
July 30th, 2014, 05:59 PM
What is the medical diagnosis for your condition? Dandruff is a lay term, encompassing several dermatological disorders which result ion flaking and/ or itching. Once you have a diagnosis you can treat it, be aware that works for one can easily WORSEN another.

Khristopher
July 30th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Firefox, do you think I should go to a derm to have a diagnosis? I don't really trust dermatologist, I own many bad experiences with them and honestly prefer to avoid them. If this gets worse or doesn't go away I'll probably get an appointment with a derm anyways, but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do now.

ravenreed
July 30th, 2014, 08:26 PM
What happens if you wash a day or two early? I have noticed that the needs of my scalp and hair have changed with length of hair, season, weather, diet, and age... you might simply be able to readjust a bit and be fine.

ARG
July 30th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I found that when I extend washes too long, and use too gentle of a cleanser this also happens to me. What works best for me is to clarify then resume gentle washes, but a few days sooner than usual. And like ravenreed said, scalp and hair needs change depending on a seasons, so don't be afraid to adjust your wash cycle to match.

For my scalp, a good clarify is the perfect reset button.

ETA: But please, don't be afraid to go to the dermatologist! Skin is our largest organ and our first defense against infections.

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2014, 02:56 AM
Firefox, do you think I should go to a derm to have a diagnosis? I don't really trust dermatologist, I own many bad experiences with them and honestly prefer to avoid them. If this gets worse or doesn't go away I'll probably get an appointment with a derm anyways, but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do now.

A decent family doctor will be able to diagnose the common scalp conditions. Few here on LHC have any medical qualifications, even those that do cannot examine your scalp. Again what is the best course of action depends entirely on what the problem is.

The only thing I could suggest for you to do without a diagnosis is treat your scalp gently yet cleanse thoroughly, and to amend your lifestyle/ diet to make it as anti inflammatory as possible.