PDA

View Full Version : Hair always dry after washing

Berúthiel
July 29th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I've tried various methods of washing, but each time my hair always initially seems frizzy/brittle/dry immediately, even when I add things like coconut oil afterward. I've switched around from using an herbal shampoo bar alone, a no-cone conditioner alone, or both. I go a few days without washing, and by the last day or so my hair feels perfect - it's soft and moisturized feeling, and I don't want to mess it up by washing it. However, by that point my scalp has become way too greasy to ignore, so I wash it and again just deal with it and wait a few days for my hair to reach that 'perfect' state.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I also make sure to only focus on washing the scalp when I do wash - but my length still gets wet in the process and seems to mess it up regardless.

Firefox7275
July 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM
What do you mean by dry, lacking in oil or lacking in water? What is your hair type (wave/curl pattern, coarseness, porosity, elasticity)? Is your hair virgin or chemically treated? How are you conditioning your hair: a wash out or a leave in product, rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants)? Do you have hard water or swim in a pool, have you clarified and chelated recently?

Berúthiel
July 29th, 2014, 12:59 PM
-I'm assuming lacking in oil, since my hair feels better after I've slept on it/natural oils have collected over days (?) I'm not sure how else to describe it other than feeling dry or fluffy, whereas on the third day or so it feels smooth and glossy.
-Hair type is 2A/F/ii, low porosity
-Virgin hair with henndigo
-I either condition with a no-cone, wash-out VO5 conditioner, or just use an herbal shampoo bar and let it sit in my hair a bit longer in the shower.
-I'm rarely in a pool, but I am in Illinois with hard water
-I have clarified a few times, my hair has gone through this cycle continuously over time

Firefox7275
July 29th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Henna can apparently make some people's hair feel dry and tangly.
You need to chelate for hard water,consider a swimmers or hard water shampoo/ sachet product.
There is an artificial sebum recipe on the Sciencey Hairblog.
Coconut oil is a penetrating oil. it is best for reducing porosity which you don't need, maybe try as silkier oil like sweet almond or even mineral oil.
Try leaving a little of your conditioner in very wet hair, many wavies successfully do this, I do even when wearing my hair straight-ish.
Consider a hydrolysed protein treatment.

schnibbles
July 29th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Hard water buildup can make my hair feel very dry. I've started doing citric acid rinses (not every time I wash, but every few times) and I think it helps. You can buy powdered citric acid by the canning supplies at Walmart or the grocery store. I use about 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in one gallon of water, as a final rinse, and I don't rinse it out.
You said your hair "has gone through this cycle continuously over time"... makes me think it's your water. :shrug:
I agree with Firefox on the coconut oil. It doesn't agree with everyone.
You could also check out the thread on the LOC method. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) This involves moisturizing the hair as well as using a sealant to keep the moisture in.
Good Luck :)

Berúthiel
July 29th, 2014, 01:34 PM
This is very helpful, thank you!
A question about the hard water shampoo/sachet - how frequently would I need to use something like this?

Berúthiel
July 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Hard water buildup can make my hair feel very dry. I've started doing citric acid rinses (not every time I wash, but every few times) and I think it helps. You can buy powdered citric acid by the canning supplies at Walmart or the grocery store. I use about 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in one gallon of water, as a final rinse, and I don't rinse it out.
You said your hair "has gone through this cycle continuously over time"... makes me think it's your water. :shrug:
I agree with Firefox on the coconut oil. It doesn't agree with everyone.
You could also check out the thread on the LOC method. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) This involves moisturizing the hair as well as using a sealant to keep the moisture in.
Good Luck :)

That's probably it. I will check all of these options out, thanks!

Has anyone tried the hard water shower filters?

sleepingduty
July 29th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I live in an area with extremely hard water. I cassia/henna my hair about every 4 weeks. I use Malibu for hard water wellness shampoo and they have a conditioner too. It is sulfate free and keeps my hair clean (I wash every 3-4 days, sometimes with the shampoo or sometimes with conditioner only (the conditioner is not just with the Malibu one, sometimes I use herbal essences naked or tresseme natural). I really love this shampoo with using just regular hard water through the showers best one I've personally used IMHO. My hair is silky soft without that greasy feeling. (Of course I think henna and cassia contribute as well)

spidermom
July 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I would try a generous coconut oiling to length only before washing. A conditioner soak will remove it, although for me a bit always stays in.

Carolyn
July 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I second Spidermom's suggestion. I also question whether your problem might be your shampoo bar. I have hard water and shampoo bars were death to my hair even with vinegar rinses. I had a whole bunch of shampoo bars and ended up giving them all away.

lilin
July 29th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Yup, I agree with the others. Hard water can cause problems all by itself, and it often doesn't play nice with shampoo bars. It does sound like you're usually getting it clean (if not overly clean), but your cycle of needing to clarify may be from residue building up due to hard water.

I understand your frustration -- I probably went through a dozen things before I found something that worked well for me.

If you're not doing an acidic rinse, definitely give that a shot -- ACV or lemon juice, diluted, may help.

Also, I found that as my hair got longer, shampoo bars got more and more drying.

I tried tea rinses, BC, natural SLS-free shampoos, various kinds of mixes with humectants, etc, to get my hair clean. None of them worked well for me. Either too drying or just didn't clean my hair.

I finally got something to work when I tried washing with soap nut liquid (homemade, either boiled for a bit or left to soak overnight, with whole soap nut shells). Soap nuts are a little *too* good for some people, so some also really like shikakai as a gentler version of the same type of cleanser, which is a gentler nonionic. Shikakai wasn't strong enough for me (I think my hair might be slightly more porous, so it likes to grab on to things and needs a bit of extra cleaning power).

These types of cleaners work well, but they're not as strong as most shampoos or shampoo bars, so I actually found I didn't really need to oil anymore. Maybe once in a rare while for my ends, but not with every wash like I was.

They seem to get rid of dirt really well, and they displace oil from the scalp really well, but they seem to have a harder time actually carrying all the oil away when you rinse. And that, to me, is a good thing. With shikakai, I was left too oily, but my hair felt much better the next day, like it had absorbed some of the oil left behind. With soap nuts, my hair gets quite clean, but not to the point where it's weightless and poofy, as it was with shampoo and shampoo bars, so there must be a teenie bit of oil left behind even if I can't really feel it.

My water, for whatever it's worth, is sort of "middle of the road." It's definitely not soft, but it's not unbearably hard either. I was able to control build-up when I was using shampoo bars by doing an acid rinse.

aspartame gram
July 31st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Thank you for posting this! I'm having trouble with the hard water in Colorado and I use shampoo bars. So far, I've found that using an ACV rinse immensely helps. I can't seem to lather the ends either because they do remain too dry and I get that velcro texture. After I wash my hair I add a little coconut oil. I think that's helping! I'm going to order a soap nuts shampoo bar and see if it also helps. I appreciate hearing about others' experiences. I learn so much. ^_^

battles
July 31st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Do you use protein?

It seems we have a similar hair type. :) I'm a F/M and low porosity. I was throwing moisture and more (heavy) moisture at my hair and it still got worse. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, and eventually sent in for an analysis and was told that I needed protein. It's been perfect since I started using silk and collagen. It feels much softer and it actually looks shiny rather than the fluffball it was.

Just figured I'd throw that in, in case it might help.

Using another oil rather than coconut may help, also. Coconut makes hair crunchy on some people.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/more-about-protein.html

Remi
July 31st, 2014, 04:33 PM
I would try what spidermom said- with the coconut oil.

catamonica
August 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM
I put 2 capfuls of olive oil in my shampoo & conditioner. Also Aloe Vera gel 2 capfuls in my conditioner. It makes my hair soft. I put extra oil on the ends, when I
use conditioner. Hope this helps.

frejafjord
August 1st, 2014, 06:08 PM
Hello, thought I would chime in on this thread because what you describe is *exactly* how my hair used to be.
I am now water only and it changed my life! My hair looks "perfect" everyday and is never greasy. The ends are still a tiny bit dry but it's fine really.
My secret is boar bristle brushing every day root to tip. When your hair starts getting oily on that "perfect day" brush it for good 30 minutes from root to tip so the oils from the scalp spread down to the tips and you get a nice coating all over. After that if it is still too oily then it is time to do a good scalp massage under the shower head. Surprisingly, for me, the bulk of the oil comes out and I'm left with that perfect hair again (same oil distribution over the whole hair though)

My hair is bouncy and twice as thick, I have a slight wave and it makes it look so nice. Frizz used to be a big problem for me because my hair is fine and kind of "floaty" but now it behaves like nice thick hair. Check out the Water Only thread for more info :) I don't know about hard water etc. so I can't comment on that. I did used to suffer build up and that made my hair even drier but I found this to be the ultimate solution, rather than a future of build up/clarify/build up/clarify. This is an alternative sort of lifestyle but you soon get very used to it and the "never clean" feeling goes away completely.

meteor
August 1st, 2014, 08:14 PM
For hair that's dry after washing, I highly recommend pre-poo oiling with a penetrating oil of choice.

Changing up shampoo and conditioner could help too. You'll need to experiment a bit.

queenovnight
August 1st, 2014, 08:25 PM
I wanna start off by saying that you have lovely hair. Also, have you tried only washing your scalp? I often times only wash my roots when I get to the 2nd-3rd day in order to drag my washes out a bit longer. - You just lean over a sink and wash the top of your head with whatever you use. This isn't a long-term 'helper' but it works for short-term.

Alaska98
August 2nd, 2014, 12:05 AM
I'm in the same boat, but my water is extremely soft. I still do not understand how one knows if their hair is porous or not. How do you know if your hair needs protein? I've tried olive, coconut, and argan oil on my end. It all gives me that stiff feeling. Higher up it doesn't get stiff, just greasy. :shrug:

I did water only for about a year. While it made my hair look and feel nice, if have me dandruff. :/ going to go read about loc now.

GetMeToWaist
August 2nd, 2014, 02:22 AM
My hair is like yours, but recently I got the best product I have EVER bought. It's incredible. Makes my hair glossy, smooth, shiny, silky, soft, defined and detangled. It's an ethnic hair product and has amazing ingredients like aloe vera gel, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, plant extracts, gelatin... It's called At One With Nature Leave In Conditioner. Has literally transformed my hair.