PDA

View Full Version : How to help my mother be more comfortable with the idea of going grey?

GrowingOut
July 28th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Hello everyone! How are you?

As, the question states, my mom has expressed the wish to go gray. However, she's unsure of herself and doesn't care for the decimation line the blonde dye will leave. Is there any way I can help her? Do any of you lovely people have some inspiring pics of letting the grey grow?

I was thinking her highlighting the grey to help ease the decimation line could help her fears. Is this a good step?

Thank you!

LongHairLesbian
July 28th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Pinterest and tumblr are a goldmine of inspiring grey hair pictures! Here's a sample :)

http://www.pinterest.com/tessim/gorgeous-gray-hair/

lapushka
July 28th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone! How are you?

As, the question states, my mom has expressed the wish to go gray. However, she's unsure of herself and doesn't care for the decimation line the blonde dye will leave. Is there any way I can help her? Do any of you lovely people have some inspiring pics of letting the grey grow?

I was thinking her highlighting the grey to help ease the decimation line could help her fears. Is this a good step?

Thank you!

Maybe she can grow her hair out all the while dyeing with a semi-permanent until the demarcation line has gone.

GrowingOut
July 28th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Thank you both for the links and help! :D I'm sure one of those fading dyes would help her get used to the idea, thanks you for the suggestion! :D

FoxyGhost
July 28th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I though cassia or catnip gave a subtle blond to white or grey hair. That might make for a more subtle shift.

cathair
July 28th, 2014, 05:15 PM
If your Mum is going from blonde to white/grey the demarcation line may not be as strong/obvious as she expects as they are both light colours. Is your Mum naturally blonde? Do you think her roots will grow in white and blonde?

My Mum is growing out her dye finally after a few failed attempts. She was covering her roots with 8 wash dye but she found it a real hassle to do so often after being used to permanent dye. She had light brown hair, so quite a bit darker, but the demarcation line is more subtle than I expected. Even though she has some amazing white streaks at the front I wasn't expecting! (I'm envious) She has a couple of inches of roots now. Sorry I don't have pictures to show, I don't think she would forgive me for posting any :)

GrowingOut
July 28th, 2014, 05:17 PM
She's not a natural blonde, she had brown hair, but is 80-90% grey dark-grey. The catnip sounds like a good idea!

fiğrildi
July 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I would tell her to try a Cassia treatment. Mixing Cassia and Rhubarb would give a very bright golden colour to her grays, while it could help with the demarcation line between grey and blonde dye. The only disadvantage, is that the colour effect would not last more than a week, or so :wink: