PDA

View Full Version : Using apricot oil

Arfed
July 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I got a bottle of apricot oil to use on my hair, but it's been a long time since I've messed with oiling my hair.

What are the different/best ways to use this in my hair, and how should I expect it to affect my fine hair - and how will I be able to tell if it's giving a positive difference or not?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for out of it really; be interesting to hear what use others (particularly fine haired folk) make of it, and what it does for them.

ChloeDharma
July 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Whenever I try a new oil I do it when I want to do a pre-wash heavy oiling. That way I can get an idea how heavy the oil is when it doesn't matter if it turns out too heavy for a light oiling. Once you get a feel of it it will be easier to work out the best way to use it on your hair.

I've only used this oil on my skin but I don't think mine was unrefined so I am not sure how well it represented the oil. It did feel quite light on my skin though and I suspect it would have worked for light oiling. I would be tempted to try some more but I have so many other oils to get on with at the moment. That said, even as I type that I'm actually tempted to try and find some cold pressed unrefined apricot oil!

Laurenji
July 27th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I love apricot oil! I usually use it on dry or almost-dry hair. I put a tiny drop or two on my palms, rub them together until my hands have a thin film of oil on them, and then run my hands lightly through my hair. I'll usually repeat that a couple of times until my hair is softer but not oily.

SkyChild
July 27th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Sounds lovely. I've never used it but I instantly thought it would smell heavenly.
If it's very light, can you use it like a serum/tamer?

Laurenji
July 27th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Sounds lovely. I've never used it but I instantly thought it would smell heavenly.
If it's very light, can you use it like a serum/tamer?

It actually doesn't smell like anything,strangely enough.

It's pretty light - not as light as jojoba, but up there. Lighter than almond for sure.

lilin
July 27th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I use it a bit like Laurenji. :) Just a drop or two. Sometimes I put a drop on the tines of my comb too (on my finger, then run the tines over it) to make sure it gets well distributed on my ends.

I have fine hair, and for me it's fairly light. The only other oil I've tried on my hair was coconut, which I actually didn't care for on my hair. I use apricot oil it on my skin too.

Arfed
July 27th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Yes I researched a bit on oils here before getting it, and I picked it especially because it is light - and others said it doesn't tend to coat your hair, like jojoba would (which is kind of waxy I believe).

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming :) I'll try a heavy pre-wash oiling of it I think.

Laurenji/lilin: When you use a drop or two of it like that, even with extremely fine hair, it doesn't begin to look oily at all? I'm not great at judging the look/state of my own hair, when looking in the mirror, so it's hard to tell by myself, without a second eye :)

Also, as SkyChild asked, is it good for a tamer? I've been using Aloe-Vera gel and Eco-styler for flyaways lately, which work well; wonder how well this would work also.

lilin
July 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Yes I researched a bit on oils here before getting it, and I picked it especially because it is light - and others said it doesn't tend to coat your hair, like jojoba would (which is kind of waxy I believe).

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming :) I'll try a heavy pre-wash oiling of it I think.

Laurenji/lilin: When you use a drop or two of it like that, even with extremely fine hair, it doesn't begin to look oily at all? I'm not great at judging the look/state of my own hair, when looking in the mirror, so it's hard to tell by myself, without a second eye :)

Also, as SkyChild asked, is it good for a tamer? I've been using Aloe-Vera gel and Eco-styler for flyaways lately, which work well; wonder how well this would work also.

Nope. :) I put one or two drops on my hands, rub it in to just the last 3 inches or so, then the one drop on my comb, and comb starting about halfway up my length -- that way, most of the oil is focused in the lower ends of the hair, which will, on most people, be more porous and absorb oil more completely, with the oil being less and less the higher you go up the length (and generally none at the roots, for me). They key is to go light! It's worth noting that as a wavy/wurly type, my hair type itself also keeps my hair from looking "greasy." It's quite fine, but oil just makes texture look a bit more defined as long as it's not seriously weighed down.

As I understand it from a chemical perspective, apricot oil is semi-absorbable. It will coat the hair slightly. If you are going light, this won't be visible, or even felt by touch. But molecularly, it doesn't absorb completely -- which does give it some value as both a semi-sealant and a bonder. Coconut oil is much better at the latter, but for a few people, it's a little too good at it (likely why some people get a bit "crunchy" with coconut oil). So apricot and other somewhat less fatty or permeable oils would be a good choice if coconut isn't doing it for you.

I find the benefit of oils is not so much that they improve things as it is that they prevent things from degrading. The ends of long hair are quite old -- maybe as much as 3 years old just at APL, so imagine how old they are at waist. Since hair can't really "heal" itself, the benefits of treating your ends well is something you will see more with time as they fail to get worse, rather than starting to look better. Although I'd imagine that bit of extra weight may stop your ends from making a break for the sky. :) Using a non-conductive comb (wood, horn, and I believe cellulose as well) would also help as they don't cause static in the hair. In the case of wood and horn, they also help distribute natural scalp oils down the hair, scalp oils being the best of all for hair (that is, after all, their purpose).

Laurenji
July 29th, 2014, 06:24 AM
It doesn't look oily as long as I make sure not to use too much. Start with just a tiny drop between your palms. If you use too much, or go over one spot of hair too many times, or reapply it several days in a row without washing your hair, it can start to look oily. My hair isn't super-super fine, but it is fine, and I haven't had a problem with it as long as I don't put too much on. I also have straight hair, which does look oily faster, so I do have to be careful about what oils I use and how much.

Arfed
August 1st, 2014, 06:06 PM
Whew been busy last few days - just getting back to this now :) Thanks for the replies, tried a heavy pre-wash oiling, and definitely overdid it, but managed to get it out by leaving conditioner in my (oiled but not wet) hair for 30 mins, before washing, and using a small bit of diluted shampoo on length after washing that out.

A small bit in my palm down the length though, and with a comb (as you suggest lilin) seems to work well, so will try to make that part of my routine from now on :)

peachyleshy
August 4th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I have used apricot successfully as a leave-in. Just using a few drops. Whereas other oils will make it look lank even if I try to use just a little. :)