PDA

View Full Version : LHC anniversary- 3 years. Pics, obviously.

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Hi hair-friends!

So it's been 3 years of LHC, though I haven't always been posting (lurked a lot during awkward phase, see below). Quite a lot of changes since I joined!

2011: Hennafail
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12090&d=1406462614

Mar 2011: Pre-2011 my routine was wash twice with shampoo, condition with a tiny bit of conditioner, brush roughly wet, put in ponytail, leave to dry. Funnily enough this left my porous 2a hair rather unhappy with many split ends (often with multiple splits), a fuzzy halo, a breakage mullet, you can imagine. I felt very hard done by because I hardly ever used a hair dryer or straightener and thought that was the only thing that damaged hair. Yeah...

Apr 2011: Got bored of my dark blonde / golden brown hair, decided to henna. I had done Lush henna a couple of years before, with no colour change as a result (still not sure why). Well we couldn't be having that, could we, so I put the henna on my hair and left it overnight. In the morning I was shocked to find it was already almost burgundy. And I had missed a bit so I did my whole head again. Did I mention that high contrast colours really don't suit me? Yeah... so I henndigoed over that a few times. Loved the conditioning (I still miss that), but the colour washed me out and the roots were ugly.

Aug 2011: Then tried to remove with colour b4. It darkened. Every time I'm tempted to try 'just a little gloss' I look at that second picture. Self, orange doesn't suit you. I've even considered messaging my main cassia dealer (!) Nightshade asking her not to sell me anything with henna ever, even if I say I'm a big girl and will strand test and can stop any time I like.

Oct 2011: Sick of orange, I despaired and went back to henndigo.

2012: Pixie time
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12087&d=1406461687

Jan 2012: Bit the bullet and applied the scissors method to remove my henndigo. This removal method is very effective.

Mar 2012: The black is gone!!! Shortest hair ever but I was so so happy. I enjoyed the pixie actually and wasn't sure I wanted to grow it out again.

Jul 2012: Normal length pixie. At this point I decided life's too short for haircuts every 6 weeks, time to grow it out.

Oct 2012: Reached the 'Why am I still pixie arrrgh' phase. Yes, October, even though the same picture in my signature says September: I got the dates wrong.

2013: The Awkward Phase
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12092&d=1406463348

Jan 2013: Progress! Lots of layers though. Kept chopping the mullet.

Jul 2013: Shoulder woohoo! Not cutting makes your hair grow, who knew?

2014: No-man's-land
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12089&d=1406461690

Jan 2014: Not short, not long
Apr 2014: Not short, not long
Jul 2014: Not short, not long
To distract myself at this rather dull time, I fell down the hairtoy rabbithole. It's been a lot of fun. I also haven't cut my hair yet this year, but have only had to snip a couple of split ends.

Favourite things LHC has brought into my life:
- LOC!!! Tamed my frizz like nothing before. Try it.
- No more wet brushing. I didn't listen for the longest time. Madora kept saying it on every thread where newbies ask about it. In the end I realised she was right. Thanks Madora, it can't be fun feeling like a stuck record player but you saved my ends.
- Pre-wash coconut oil
- Nightblooming's Freya/winter panacea and Devas cassia blend
- Acceptance of natural colour and texture
- Patience. Lots of it.
- Torrin Paige videos
- Buying far too many hair accessories
- Hanging out with the lovely people on the hairtoys board
- Meeting an internet twin, Quasiquixotic
- Getting excellent career advice in the most unexpected place, when I was full of despair- thankyou Nesoi
- The image macros, updo-fails, pay-it-forward and wear-all-your-hairtoys-once threads

I've learnt a lot and chatted with a bunch of lovely people. Thankyou all so much for bringing me so much fun & new knowledge! :grouphug:

kganihanova
July 27th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Your pre-April 2011 routine was mine exactly. I didn't even condition most of the time.....

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Your pre-April 2011 routine was mine exactly. I didn't even condition most of the time.....

Ouch! Ah well, we live & learn.

Nesoi
July 27th, 2014, 06:23 AM
What a great post! I loved reading this. And I laughed to hear that Lush henna didn't change the colour of your hair - another thing our manes have in common! I had exactly the same experience, several years ago. How funny!!

I am really glad to have 'met' you here on LHC. Yay! And your hair is looking so smooth and rich and gorgeous!!

Wosie
July 27th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I just realised that we got a very short haircut in the same month of the same year. =o So unless I hadn't minded my mullet phase, my length would've been the same as yours now. We also seem to have a very similar hair thickness as your hair reminds me of my own (just wavier and lighter). :) Is your hair also somewhat coarse (like mine)?

On to APL and good luck with your hair growth (may it grow epically much in a short timespan). :D

lapushka
July 27th, 2014, 06:31 AM
What a tumultuous journey. Glad you're growing out fine now, though. No more experimenting now! Just keep growing!!! Congrats, it's looking great. :D

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Thanks Nesoi and Wosie! I think we three might be hair triplets actually.
Yes Wosie, I have a fair bit of coarse hair which likes to sproing up at every opportunity. But it helps hold updos together, so I'm cool with it for now :cool:

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks lapushka. Yeah, it was a bit of a freak-out year in 2011. Looking forward to more drama-free hair :)

Beezle
July 27th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Two_wheels, your hair is looking great. You may say "Jul 2014: Not short, not long" but comparing to July 2013 picture, it does look long, it's grown very fast and is in such gorgeous condition. It's certainly long enough to play with all your new hair toys as a reward for getting through all those urrrrghhh times in growing from pixie. Congratulations.

StellaKatherine
July 27th, 2014, 06:39 AM
That is so funny! In 2012 when I joined I shampoo twice as well and then put conditioner for 1 minute the most. And then brush my hair when it was still all wet :) I remember I was still playing WOW and had 10 minute break , I would do all the washing and conditionering in that time! I was proud of myself of been that fast, well my hair wasn't as proud hehe

Love your natural colous sweety! :flowers:

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Thanks beezle! I am really happy with the progress, no complaints there :)
StellaKatherine, how on earth did you grow all that lovely hair with that routine?! :lol: thanks for the colour-love, I learnt to enjoy it in the end thanks to the people here.

Skade
July 27th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Happy anniversary Two_wheels. Fun to see all the pictures and the progress. Keep on growing. Itīs looking good! :blossom:

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks Skade! I'm really glad I took some pictures along the way, it really helps to motivate :)

Wosie
July 27th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Haha, you are definitely right about the coarser hair holding hairdos together. :agree: I sometimes curse at my coarse hair, but then I think about it and remember its positive sides.

By the way, does it take many tries for you to make your hairdos? I only recently was able to make disc buns, and you have been able to do 'em for... I don't know how long. :o They look really neat as well. :D

Very nice thread to read. :) Your hair almost looked black in October 2011!

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Haha, you are definitely right about the coarser hair holding hairdos together. :agree: I sometimes curse at my coarse hair, but then I think about it and remember its positive sides.

By the way, does it take many tries for you to make your hairdos? I only recently was able to make disc buns, and you have been able to do 'em for... I don't know how long. :o They look really neat as well. :D

Very nice thread to read. :) Your hair almost looked black in October 2011!

It was indeed almost black, which would fade to henna-burgundy. I love the colour on other people, just not me! Hoping to get back to the Oct 2011 length this October, three years on, wouldn't that be cool? (I remember crying that month, thinking it would take 5 years to grow it back, but knowing I would have to do it.) I'd have more layers, but whatever.

I can't do a disc bun yet! Just a modified lazy wrap type thing. It's the only one that always works, so I've had a lot of practice doing it :p Jealous of your disc bun! Edit- to answer your actual question, nah, it only takes one go. In April it took a few goes, but for the last couple of months it's been easy. I've been working on doing it looser this month.

StellaKatherine
July 27th, 2014, 07:07 AM
StellaKatherine, how on earth did you grow all that lovely hair with that routine?! :lol: thanks for the colour-love, I learnt to enjoy it in the end thanks to the people here.

With that routine it was almost at classic length! I say it is genetics... So I hope, that now since I changed the way a wash, conditioner, comb and keep my hair, it would grow better than it did :D

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 07:14 AM
With that routine it was almost at classic length! I say it is genetics... So I hope, that now since I changed the way a wash, conditioner, comb and keep my hair, it would grow better than it did :D I should think so! :blossom:

Kitten1030
July 27th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Wow, what a journey! Hair's looking great and I always enjoy your posts. You are a sweetheart!

Firefox7275
July 27th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Mar 2011: Pre-2011 my routine was wash twice with shampoo, condition with a tiny bit of conditioner, brush roughly wet, put in ponytail, leave to dry. Funnily enough this left my porous 2a hair rather unhappy with many split ends (often with multiple splits), a fuzzy halo, a breakage mullet, you can imagine. I felt very hard done by because I hardly ever used a hair dryer or straightener and thought that was the only thing that damaged hair. Yeah...

To distract myself at this rather dull time, I fell down the hairtoy rabbithole. It's been a lot of fun. I also haven't cut my hair yet this year, but have only had to snip a couple of split ends.

I could have written these paragraphs! Even down to the dates and use of Colour B4 (tho to strip out commercial dye). I'm just past BSL tho didn't big chop like you did, grew and trimmed out the old damage.

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks Kitten! :flower:

Firefox, I've seen your posts & love how you really research the science, I had no idea of our similarity! I wonder whether the UK air smelt particularly sulphurous three summers ago?! (I remember it being really hot, and sitting in front of a fan heater with a head full of stinky colour b4. Never again!!) If it had been commercial dye I would have done the same as you.

jacqueline101
July 27th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Your hair has come along ways since you've started. Looks great by the way happy anniversary.

Crystawni
July 27th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Happy thirdaversary, two_wheels! I love your colourful and chopitoff journey--you've come a long"er" way! I've enjoyed getting to know your hair and your more hit-than-miss toy taste, and how you've enriched many members here with your great posts and generosity!

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks jacqueline101 and Crystawni! (I hope that in a few years I'll have some flippin' white stuff too :D)

jacqueline101
July 27th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks jacqueline101 and Crystawni! (I hope that in a few years I'll have some flippin' white stuff too :D)

You're welcome.

neko_kawaii
July 27th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Happy happy, two_wheels!

chomsky
July 27th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Hehe, I thought I was the only one who'd rather pixie than keep a colour that wasn't 'me'. Congratulations on your growth, your hair in your sig, looks gorgeous, lovely colour too! :o

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks neko :flower: I hope I can learn as many updos as you some day!

Yay for pixie-ing, chomsky- my roots made me look like I was balding, and the older people I knew got upset because they thought I had become a goth (? so many questions!) and the whole look wasn't office friendly, so it had to go :)

queenofheartz44
July 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Such amazing progress! I chopped all my hair off (from bsl to pixie) several years ago because my hair was driving me nuts! I wasn't too attached to it thought so I didn't mind, unlike now haha! Love your progress photos, I do the same thing to keep from getting discouraged. It really does help! I have almost cleared the 'no man's land' area, I can't wait until I do, braiding & various styling has kept me distracted from where it is at now. Also I gave my flat iron a big break this summer so when I straightened it out last week there was over an inch of growth there! Yes! Little things helps make the time more bearable. Great work, & keep it up!

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Such amazing progress! I chopped all my hair off (from bsl to pixie) several years ago because my hair was driving me nuts! I wasn't too attached to it thought so I didn't mind, unlike now haha! Love your progress photos, I do the same thing to keep from getting discouraged. It really does help! I have almost cleared the 'no man's land' area, I can't wait until I do, braiding & various styling has kept me distracted from where it is at now. Also I gave my flat iron a big break this summer so when I straightened it out last week there was over an inch of growth there! Yes! Little things helps make the time more bearable. Great work, & keep it up!

Thankyou! Yes, photos help and I take them every month now- not to see the one-month progress, but so that any time I can look back exactly 3 months and see the difference.

You must take great care of your hair to be able to relax & still have it in good condition, amazing! Can't wait to join you in longer territory :)

queenofheartz44
July 27th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Thankyou! Yes, photos help and I take them every month now- not to see the one-month progress, but so that any time I can look back exactly 3 months and see the difference.

You must take great care of your hair to be able to relax & still have it in good condition, amazing! Can't wait to join you in longer territory :)

Thank you! I have a reminder on my phone to take picture once a month, although sometimes I forget it. I'll get back to the pictures!

RapunzelKat
July 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Congrats on the anniversary, two_wheels! Your hair looks great! I'm quite partial to your natural color, but I may be a touch biased as it's close to my own :D

Enjoyed reading your post by the way, especially this bit:

Aug 2011: Then tried to remove with colour b4. It darkened. Every time I'm tempted to try 'just a little gloss' I look at that second picture. Self, orange doesn't suit you. I've even considered messaging my main cassia dealer (!) Nightshade asking her not to sell me anything with henna ever, even if I say I'm a big girl and will strand test and can stop any time I like.

:spitting:

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks RapunzelKat! Your hair is just gorgeous... definitely an inspiration :flower:
Glad you enjoyed reading- if I didn't laugh at my previous self, I'd have to cry a little, I think :lol:

Quasiquixotic
July 27th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I love this thread! I love meeting you. The freakish nature of our twindom. And I look forward to continued growy fun with you. You hair is amazing and I don't just say that because it's like mine. :flowers:

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Yay twin! It is so lovely to meet you too :disco: :disco:
And you helped snag me my unicorn fork for my hair-birthday! <3

Quasiquixotic
July 27th, 2014, 11:15 AM
So glad I could help. But I think it was meant to be.

molljo
July 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Happy anniversary! This was hilarious to read and really inspiring. Good luck on your continuing hair growing misadventures!

diddiedaisy
July 27th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Your hairs looking great two-wheels, thick, healthy and to me it's looking long. That's quite a three year journey you've been on lol

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks molljo and diddiedaisy. Yup, it's been a wild ride :cool:

RapunzelKat
July 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks RapunzelKat! Your hair is just gorgeous... definitely an inspiration :flower:
Glad you enjoyed reading- if I didn't laugh at my previous self, I'd have to cry a little, I think :lol:

"Blessed is she who can laugh at herself, for she will never lack for amusement" :bluebiggr

And thank you! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 27th, 2014, 02:19 PM
two_wheels, you sure have had your ups and downs with your hair, but gosh, look at it now! You are well on the way to glorious thudworthy hair!

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks Sarahlabyrinth! I'm looking at your avatar pic (from June 2012?) ... and your siggy pic... and dreaming of what may be in the next two years :hmm: - if it's anything like yours, happy days!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 27th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks Sarahlabyrinth! I'm looking at your avatar pic (from June 2012?) ... and your siggy pic... and dreaming of what may be in the next two years :hmm: - if it's anything like yours, happy days!

Aaawww! Many thanks :)

mary*rose
July 27th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I very much enjoyed the snarkiness of this post. Or sarcasm. Whatever you want to call it...and now you get to enjoy your hair toys AND long hair! W00t :o

two_wheels
July 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks mary*rose. If I could talk to my 2011-self, there would be a lot of snark :) See you on the PIF thread!

georgia_peach
July 27th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Congratulations, two_wheels! :toast: I always enjoy reading your posts. And you've *enabled* me in the hair toy threads more than you know!

mary*rose
July 27th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Oohh, the enabling that occurs in this community...

Tini'sNewHair
July 28th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Congrats, your hair looks really great now, amazing seeing the journey from then to now. Keep growing :)

Merlin
July 28th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Great, happy hair-i-versary

two_wheels
July 28th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Thanks georgia_peach, I didn't know I'd enabled you much, but always a pleasure! :twisted:
Thanks Tini and Merlin :)

browneyedsusan
July 28th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Very nice work!
Love your "new" texture!

two_wheels
July 28th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks browneyedsusan, fellow pixie-vanquisher! :)