PDA

View Full Version : Hair for working at an airport?

Nadine <3
July 26th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Hi all!

So, starting tomorrow I'm going to be working at an airport at an airshow for a week. I live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and we host EAA, the biggest air show in the world. Anyway, I got a job as security. It's an airport, so there is no shade...it's just open nothingness as far as the eye can see...well aside from a couple thousand airplanes and vendors. As part of my uniform I have to wear the baseball hat provided (along with this SUPER glamorous highlighter orange vest, complete with reflective tape. Yeah, you know you're jealous! :cool: ) Anyways...I was thinking of doing a heavy coconut oiling tonight and sleeping with it in braids, re-braiding in the morning and putting on the hat and going but I want to make sure those ends are not getting damaged by the sun and they'll be sticking out. I can't get a bun to work with the hat either and however I situate my hair, it NEEDS to stay put all day because I won't have access to anything but a port-o-potty and can't see to fix it...buns in general don't hold very well on me, regardless of what I hold them with. So, is a heavily oiled braid sufficient? I heard coconut oil has some sun blocking properties to it, but I want to make sure I'm not bleaching the crap out of the ends of my hair.

I'm guessing I'll probably end up washing much more than I normally do, to get the diesel fuel and burning rubber smell out of my hair before bed, so the coconut oilings would be good for that... Not to mention sweaty hat hair lol

cheetahfast
July 26th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I would not wear a hat with heavily oiled hair.

Lightly oiled length/ends perhaps. I used to wear a hat six days a week for work and I always braided it and folded it up to protect the ends from rubbing.
Since it is only a week in the sun I wouldn't worry about sun damage too much :shrug:.

Nadine <3
July 26th, 2014, 06:27 PM
That's what I meant, just a few drops on my length...enough to help hold my layers on nicely. Never on the scalp though, the oiled bits would not be in the hat, unless I tucked it inside. The hat is pretty snug but I will try doing that.

Oh how embarrassing, you never said anything about tucking it LOL How did you get your folded braid to stay folded?

two_wheels
July 26th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about 1 week in the sun either :)

You could try doing a French braid, tie off the end as usual and tucking the end right up into the little pocket. It will stay there if you pin it with a bobby pin or two. I pin it through the hair tie for extra security but that might be a bit breaky on fine hair, and anyway your hat should hold it in place.

jlb
July 26th, 2014, 06:40 PM
sorry nothing to add. I usually wear dutch braids because they hold best for me under hats.

I just wanted to add I am so jealous you get to go to OSH, this is the first one i've missed in probably 15 years. The airshows are the the best.

hope you enjoy it for me, I always have a blast. Oh & theVooDoo Daddies are playing this year as well (now i'm sad)

Inkspot
July 26th, 2014, 06:50 PM
How did you get your folded braid to stay folded?

When I have done this hairstyle in the past, I would do a single french braid, then, instead of tying the end and leaving it down, fold the length in half (up to the nape of your neck) and tie it there, just as if you were doing a low ponytail. Then end result looks a bit like a loop. This would protect your ends from the sun somewhat as well, although I would not think you would retain too much sun damage either way.

Nadine <3
July 26th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Aww, Jib, I'm sorry you're missing it! I grew up here, so I've been to the airshows since 2 years of age. Never missed one and I'm thrilled to be working there this year! I spend most of my life living directly crossed the street from it. Hugs to you!

I think I will just put my hair into a dutch braid that is lightly oiled and just go with that. Thank you everyone for the ideas! :)

cheetahfast
July 26th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I just fold up the length twice and tie it with a home-made stocking hairtie. My work hat was tight, so I couldn't tuck my hair in.

If the oiled bits are in the hat, but not on top/the roots I think you'll be fine.

cheetahfast
July 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM
You could perhaps paranda it. If you make a fairly thick one it'll protect the ends and some of the hair from the sun.

I'd go for a color that matches your hat or looks more professional.

Nadine <3
July 26th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Ohhh, I like the idea of a paranda! I grew out of the one I made though and haven't gotten around to making a new one. Now I wish I had! I'll have to get some fun colored yarn now that you've reminded me...

I think I'll stick with just a braid for now. I just checked the weather for tomorrow and it's supposed to be cold, cloudy and rainy...lol

tetisheri72
July 26th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Maybe wrap your hair around your head and do hair taping? Torrinpaige has a good tut for it.

kpzra
July 26th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I worked as a line tech for years at the airport in Anchorage, day and night shifts at different times. Summer meant 20+ hours of sun. I usually had my hair in a low bun (I had over the head ear protection, braided and tucked into my shirt or folded onto itself and tied with a hair matching ribbon or a crown braid. I didn't have a hat to wear though. I worried more about making sure to reapply sunscreen to my face and arms.

As long as my hair was contained it didn't smell of Jet-A unless it splashed on me/my hair (dropped the tassel in a Lear wing tank before). It just needed a bit of airing out before bed.

Aurum
July 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM
What about a Gibson Tuck? They're simple to do, don't require a ton of hair, and would keep your ends out of the sun. I'm not sure how feasible it would be with a baseball hat, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

As others have said, I don't think a week in the sun will hurt your hair too much. :)

Federica
July 27th, 2014, 06:13 AM
I would suggest you to try something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7lEC_CBkk), it sounds quite protective.

Nadine <3
July 30th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Work at the airport is going well! I've worn a dutch braid everyday so far and had no problems. When I know I need to wash after work I oil up my braid and wear it that way. I prefer that to my clean hair actually because the layers don't fall out. I've been so busy to be honest, that my hair has been the last thing on my mind. As long as it's out of the way!

tetisheri72
July 30th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Good to know! I really like your color.

Anje
July 30th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I'd probably just fold the braid in half and secure it (maybe wrapping some ribbon or such around the length). And wear a hat. Definitely need the hat, even if it blocks some of your view of the air show.

Hope you're enjoying it! I used to live right in the flight path, just south of the Ardy & Ed's restaurant.

jlb
July 30th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Aww, Jib, I'm sorry you're missing it! I grew up here, so I've been to the airshows since 2 years of age. Never missed one and I'm thrilled to be working there this year! I spend most of my life living directly crossed the street from it. Hugs to you!

Thank you & glad to hear you're having fun. Actually this is a good reminder, I need to book for next year.

LauraLongLocks
July 30th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Here's what I came up with for running with a ball cap on, after a lot of trial and error.

http://youtu.be/JHBAdovjcgU