PDA

View Full Version : how often should you use peppermint oil on your hair?

cdonald2
July 25th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Is it a once or twice a week kind of thing or should i use it every day? i love how it feels on my scalp but obviously its in with other oils and other oils on my scalp= greasy looking hair. So i was just wondering what everyone else does for peppermint oil

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Do you mean hair or do you mean scalp or both? A healthy skin barrier doesn't need the fatty acids found in most plant oils nor essential oils, so the answer to 'how often should we' is never. If you enjoy using peppermint oil perhaps do so as an ingredient in your shampoo or co-wash conditioner?

Johannah
July 26th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Do you mean hair or do you mean scalp or both? A healthy skin barrier doesn't need the fatty acids found in most plant oils nor essential oils, so the answer to 'how often should we' is never. If you enjoy using peppermint oil perhaps do so as an ingredient in your shampoo or co-wash conditioner?

This was the first thing that came up in my mind as well. You also could use it with a carrier oil to massage your scalp before you wash.

cdonald2
July 26th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I use it with other carrier oils. I was just wondering how often you should use it on your scalp

Islandgrrl
July 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Ii think your answer might lie in why you are using peppermint oil. Are you using it to oil your hair or as a treatment for your scalp, and if it's for the scalp, what are you trying to achieve?

cdonald2
July 26th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Ii think your answer might lie in why you are using peppermint oil. Are you using it to oil your hair or as a treatment for your scalp, and if it's for the scalp, what are you trying to achieve?

I really love how it tingles on my scalp. Ive also heard claims that it may stimulate hair growth, which would be a bonus if i can get added growth. It just makes a scalp massage much nicer :)

Nadine <3
July 26th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I would just use it whenever you feel like giving yourself a tingly scalp massage and don't care to much about having some gross lookin' hair. Say, the night before a wash, do a massage, let it sit overnight and then wash out in the morning, or whatever. Or, massage a few minutes before you wash.

molljo
July 26th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I would just use it whenever you feel like giving yourself a tingly scalp massage and don't care to much about having some gross lookin' hair. Say, the night before a wash, do a massage, let it sit overnight and then wash out in the morning, or whatever. Or, massage a few minutes before you wash.
Exactly this.

So much of hair care is just doing what what feels ok. If you run into problems, then adjust for those. It's not a 100% thing of MUST NOT DO or ALWAYS DO or MUST BE DONE ONLY X AMOUNT OF TIMES.

chen bao jun
July 26th, 2014, 04:09 PM
some of us have dry hair and scalps, especially curlies and can oil our scalps everyday and not be gross (and in fact, might still be dry).
I use an oil blend including peppermint oil and other herbs on my scalp almost nightly. I do see in your post that you use a carrier oil, that is the main thing.

majesticgoldenr
August 3rd, 2014, 03:36 PM
Silly Question: Whats up that I dont get the tingle effect? I'm using Now brand with a mix of jojoba, coconut, and castor and also lavender. Does the lavender and peppermint counteract?