PDA

View Full Version : What buns are center-held?

meteor
July 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but what is a center-held bun?

I'm wondering about this, because I see people writing about center-held buns and how they may need different (shorter?) hair tools. But I can't figure out what makes a bun center-held and I can't find any threads with a definition. :confused: I mean, don't all buns have some center?

DKSABS
July 25th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I was wondering the exact same thing last night. Looking forward to seeing the answers!

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I'm by no means an expert but I did learn (after much confusion) that the nautilus is a center held bun. What center held seems to mean is that, unlike buns such as the cinnabon where you have to put the hairtoy though the whole bun, starting from the outside, you put the hairtoy in the middle of the nautilus (I believe the lazy wrap is like this too) and the whole bun stays up, including the outside which has no hairtoy holding it.
Hence, you can use smaller toys, since they only have to hold the center.
I was able to use a large flexi 8 for the first t ime, as opposed to having to use the extra large, because my hair has grown enough so that I can make a nautilus and hold just the center of that, as opposed to having to have enough flexi to pin over my whole cinnablob, which was all I could make with shorter hair. Make sense?

ExpectoPatronum
July 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I totally know what it is, but I can't figure out a way to explain it!

You know how some buns have you going through a "loop" of hair, through the middle of a bunch of hair and then out through another "loop"? That middle bit is the center and that makes it a center held bun. The Lazy Wrap Bun is an example of this.

There isn't a middle bit in the cinnabun,for example.

meteor
July 25th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Thank you so very much, chen bao jun and ExpectoPatronum! Excellent explanations indeed! :D Thank you!

Hairitic
July 25th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm by no means an expert but I did learn (after much confusion) that the nautilus is a center held bun. What center held seems to mean is that, unlike buns such as the cinnabon where you have to put the hairtoy though the whole bun, starting from the outside, you put the hairtoy in the middle of the nautilus (I believe the lazy wrap is like this too) and the whole bun stays up, including the outside which has no hairtoy holding it.
Hence, you can use smaller toys, since they only have to hold the center.
I was able to use a large flexi 8 for the first t ime, as opposed to having to use the extra large, because my hair has grown enough so that I can make a nautilus and hold just the center of that, as opposed to having to have enough flexi to pin over my whole cinnablob, which was all I could make with shorter hair. Make sense?

Thanks Chen! I now know the name of my workout hairstyle - "Cinnablob". :p

I had some cornrows with colored threads put in my hair at the beach a few weeks ago. For some reason, the addition of the threads has changed how I can do my hair. A *Cinnablob* is definitely what I do, lol. :D

Stellaaa
October 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I think of centre-held buns as slip-knots, and the hairtoy goes through the loop.

That is, I've thought of centre held buns as slip-knots ever since I showed my chiropractor how to use a hair fork and she said, "You tied your hair in a knot! I can't tie my hair in a knot!" (she has thick BSL hair)

I also liken the hairtoy/centre-held bun combo to a toggle button, your hairtoy being the toggle and the centre of your bun being the loop the toggle goes through.

Here's my hair in a generic centre-held bun (I think it's a nautilus, could be LWB). It's a petite TT, and I have 43" of hair. And that's the beauty of the centre-held bun :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Stellaaa/TTpink_zpsa06f7480.jpg

Other buns are pinned to scalp hair in some way or another. Often, with a centre-held bun, the hairtoy doesn't touch the scalp.

DKSABS
October 28th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the explanations and the excellent photo.

BonnieU
October 28th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Disc bun?

Extra characters :)

Stellaaa
October 28th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Disc bun?

Extra characters :)

Hmmm, good question.

(don't know exact answer - disc bun is a LWB variation, it works *like* a centre-held bun, but you spread the centre over the bun, sooo, I don't know the exact answer)

swearnsue
June 10th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I would say that the Disc bun is center held because the hair stick or Flexi is used to "grab" the center/middle of the bun and not the edges. In other words, you can't substitute hair pins for the hair stick and secure it like a cinnabun.

MINAKO
June 10th, 2015, 09:04 PM
I always thought cebter held means you twist the ponytail base and insert the toy before wrapping the bun, so the hair is held by being pinghed under the stick or fork in the center. I do my cinnabuns this way when i want to wear shorter toys, but now im confused if i have been using the right term since there is no loop tomthat one at all. :shrug:

lapushka
June 11th, 2015, 06:53 AM
A LWB is definitely center held. A cinnamon bun isn't. With a cinnamon bun you have to coil it all around, then put your Ficcare on top of all of the coiling. In a LWB, the Ficcare just goes through the center of the bun. I think that's how the difference came about.

MINAKO
June 11th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I pit the stick in the cinnabun first and then coil under it, but then i guess it still doesnt make it a centerheld bun as i used to think. I saw this on the chinese forums and as soon as my hair was long enough it magically worked. i can use a stick as short as 11cm this way.

neko_kawaii
June 11th, 2015, 08:08 AM
I pit the stick in the cinnabun first and then coil under it, but then i guess it still doesnt make it a centerheld bun as i used to think. I saw this on the chinese forums and as soon as my hair was long enough it magically worked. i can use a stick as short as 11cm this way.

I saw Gossamer do something like that in one of her recent videos, only it was a modification to accommodate all her length and a shorter tool. I really like it because as you say, it uses shorter stick/fork and I have a few I've otherwise outgrown I'm not ready to part with.

I'd consider the Pinless Braided bun a center held, as the stick goes in and then the entire bun is wrapped behind that.

FallingDarkness
June 11th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Disc buns are my fave! Nice to know that they are "center held". Are center held buns by any chance better for your hair than other types of buns?

elsieivy
June 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I think a hypno bun would be considered center held as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q

meteor
June 12th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Thank you so much for all your replies, guys! :flowers: You are wonderful! :D

I would guess that cinnabun is not center-held if we assume that the definition of the center-held bun is the bun that can be held by center alone. So, in case of cinnabun, for example, if we pin down both the first coil and then the edges (i.e. the outside coils) as well. If we didn't have to pin down the edges, then I guess it would make it center-held. no? :hmm: Honestly, I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here... :lol:

I think a hypno bun would be considered center held as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q

Yes, I really believe so. Judging by the video, the outside loop is later turned into the center of the bun and then gets pinned down, and this holds the whole construction in place.

Disc buns are my fave! Nice to know that they are "center held". Are center held buns by any chance better for your hair than other types of buns?

I don't know... I think buns without twisting, ponytailing (with elastics), excessive manipulation or excessive pinning are somewhat more hair-friendly, but I don't see why center-held would be automatically better :hmm: I think they are awesome in that they allow to use shorter hair tools and I think they tend to be more compact.

So what do you guys think: What about things like knots (e.g. Knot Bun, Celtic Knot, Neoma Knot, JJJ's Pretzel Bun...): they are not center-held, is that correct?

And what about finger-fold constructions: L-Infinity Bun or Spidermom's (double loop LWB) Bun? Are they center-held? It appears that they do form a center, it's just that it's not inside one loop...