PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: what is flat/limp/voluminous hair?

Larki
July 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I feel so stupid asking this - it's one of those things that is apparently so obvious that no one ever bothers to explain it. :p But I don't know how to distinguish between "flat" hair and "voluminous" hair, or what is considered flat or limp and what would be considered voluminous.

I know what it means in regards to teased hair (waaay up off the head, something that could never be achieved naturally) but I guess I don't understand what people mean when they say "my hair is so flat and limp"/"my hair is naturally voluminous", etc. I have fine hair, which I suppose means my hair should be limp and flat? (pic from the front in my profile) I don't know, I've never paid attention to my hair's volume or lack of volume or whatever.

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I don't think they are mutually exclusive terms. 'voluminous' simply means there is a lot of something, so actually you can have (and people do have) flat, limp AND voluminous hair. As in, they have a ton of strands but they are fine and straight and lie limply under certain circumstances (weather, more or less dirty, etc. etc.)
People do use the term 'voluminous' in a incorrect way to mean hair that appears to be 'big'--whether there is actually a lot of it or not. Usually I find it is used in youtube videos or ads where people are being encouraged to tease and mistreat their hair to make it pouf out and up. As a person who has trouble with my hair pouffing all over the place (sometimes, not always), causing it to appear untidy, i don't 'get' this. And I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. From your avatar you look as if your hair is plentiful and healthy and pretty. Not that 'flat' hair is necessarily undesirable or ugly, although people who want to sell you products don't want that fact to get out.