PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hair color chart

CostaRita
July 25th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Here's a hair color chart - I always thought that I had light brown hair, but I guess I was wrong!

http://officehair.com.au/?p=80

diddiedaisy
July 25th, 2014, 01:35 PM
That's a big jump from light blonde to medium blonde. To me the medium is very dark blonde and what she says is dark blonde is actually brown to me.

YGDW
July 25th, 2014, 01:39 PM
What happened to the poor redheads there?

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Hahaha, no worries about our haircolors, this chart if sooo off i'm seriously ROFLin'!!!! X'DDD

"Level 6 Dark Blonde" doooh!

cathair
July 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
There's hardly any browns either, and medium brown looks darker than dark brown on my screen :/

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Yeah no offense to anyone, but each and every chart i see has like 500 shades of blonde in the upper levels (light ash, champagne, beige, wheat, honey, pearl, strawberry, platinum, gold, honey and so on) but in the lowest to levels you will only ever find espresso and "BLACK", like please, there's just as much of a spectrum to that and i wish more options would be presented to people to show the difference. For me a softblack with a tinge of blue and greenish tones is the most flattering, while jetblack is too bold and too flat, while natural black would come of too reddish and doesn't complement the skintone. Ah, not that i would actually buy the colors im askin for right now from L'oreal or whatever company, i love to use indigo along with a deposit product.

Shibe
July 25th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Apparently I'm "medium blonde'

snorf! :rolleyes:

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
probably color charts from Japan would have a reasonable range of blacks. I have heard that its possible to buy black hair dye there that has the variations seen in black hair which are just as numerous and subtle as those seen in the various shades of blond to light brown.
Not that I'm going to dye mine.
It's endlessly fascinating to me how we see what we are trained to see. When I was Taiwan, they just seriously thought anyone who didn't have really dark brown hair was a blonde, they could not distinguish were all always telling me 'so and so with the blond hair' and even me, a black person who is not all that good at seeing differences between light brown and blonde would be thinking...'what the heck...? how is that person blond?' While they knew who had really black hair and who just had 'almost' (which was not as good).

YGDW
July 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Totally agree with you chen bao jun! As the only (copper) brunette among my friends, classmates and siblings, I always felt like my hair was very dark. However, when I discussed this with black friends, they all considered my hair very light and blonde. Even my colleague, who has a darker haired sister, considers her hair blonde, while her hair is more or less the same colour as mine. Eye of the beholder. This chart is probably made by a blonde person. :)

StellaKatherine
July 25th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Yeah no offense to anyone, but each and every chart i see has like 500 shades of blonde in the upper levels (light ash, champagne, beige, wheat, honey, pearl, strawberry, platinum, gold, honey and so on) but in the lowest to levels you will only ever find espresso and "BLACK", like please, there's just as much of a spectrum to that and i wish more options would be presented to people to show the difference. For me a softblack with a tinge of blue and greenish tones is the most flattering, while jetblack is too bold and too flat, while natural black would come of too reddish and doesn't complement the skintone. Ah, not that i would actually buy the colors im askin for right now from L'oreal or whatever company, i love to use indigo along with a deposit product.

Indeed! My mom has the really dark chocolate brown hair with red sparks when in the sun :crush:

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
It's sooo mean to not give these people the same freedom of choice. The only thing i know is that there's a bit of a larger range towards dark with japanese or korean companies, but they are still chemical dye so i never bothered to try them. The palette of herbal dyes thankfully is big enough and can also be enhanced with something like pravana or manic panis, which don't damage the hair. I always find it funny that especially dark dye still require peroxide to get to work when there are much more gentle ways to just make pigment stick. :confused:

ARG
July 25th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Dark blonde? Nope, I'm a happy brunette, though like Chen and YGWD said, I suppose when compared to someone with a darker brunette, mine my appear on the darker end of the blonde side of the scale, especially in summer. It looks like a bleaching chart, though, so it may be used to give hairdressers a scale of how light you want to go?

Ambystoma
July 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Yep that chart's pretty crazy - not only does it neglect red tones entirely, I feel like it's the "vanity sizing" of blonde tones - I mean according to that chart if I had to pick something I'd be light brown I guess... :rolling: :laugh: :rolling:

http://i.imgur.com/bWrdym9.jpg?2

Erm...ok then.

blace
July 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM
This chart is a level finder. It's for judging lightness/darkness.
You usually see it in real life in the salon accompanied by something like this:

Contributing Pigment (http://annmariewalts.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/hellforhair0194.jpg)

Each hair color line has their own definitions of these levels and some range further than 1-10. It does not take into consideration different shades (strawberry blonde, chestnut brown, auburn, etc.)

Ingrid
July 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I think it would be less misleading if they just did a grayscale chart of different levels.

CurlyCap
July 25th, 2014, 11:08 PM
probably color charts from Japan would have a reasonable range of blacks. I have heard that its possible to buy black hair dye there that has the variations seen in black hair which are just as numerous and subtle as those seen in the various shades of blond to light brown.
Not that I'm going to dye mine.
It's endlessly fascinating to me how we see what we are trained to see. When I was Taiwan, they just seriously thought anyone who didn't have really dark brown hair was a blonde, they could not distinguish were all always telling me 'so and so with the blond hair' and even me, a black person who is not all that good at seeing differences between light brown and blonde would be thinking...'what the heck...? how is that person blond?' While they knew who had really black hair and who just had 'almost' (which was not as good).

LOL. I thought it was just me.

I seriously sometimes sit and stare in confusion during LHC threads because my hair spectrum has 4 colors: Black, brown, white, red (usually actually orange).

Everyone in my family has dark hair so I can tell the difference in brunettes, but I have no idea what strawberry blonde means.

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I actually heard of a wider color range by certain japanese companies too, never actually seen them tho. TBH almost any japanese girl i know has actually also naturally dark brownn hair, rather than a true black that you would find inmany iranians for example. However, most asian girls i know personally (not generally speaking) don't favour their natural color and seldom bother to go darker, it's like either you go for something in the dark auburn range to be sophisticated, or bleach the crap out of it to go pastell, or simply be virginhaired and cosidered kinda boring/unfashionable which is cool with most people as well becase you can still be tasteful and classy, or the sweet girl. But i have never actually seen a japanese person using a special black color enhancer, at most some use black while going back from too blonde, just that this results most likely in a very dull shade, so it makes me think of very dull and generic dye.

I think the price for out of the box palette would still go to Freshlight, not selling any rainbow colors but they have quiet unusual shades of pinkish copper or etremely ash blonde, almost gray.

I naturally dont have alot of color variation growing from my head, even tho the texture is mixed up as hell, the color is uniform, growing very dark from the root and then fading into a level 2 from about ears or chin, so thats where some of the blue of greenish tint from my dye starts to show up, depending on the light.
Haha, i could go on and on how puple black doesnt suit me and blueblack looks a bit too cool or artifial if too blue... http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/greens/14.gif

Back to the chart, i really think some companies should widen their range especially when it comes to dark colors and such as silver in more than one shade. Of course everything can be customized, but offering blonde in this excess while not many other colors automatically implis that you need to bleach your hair to look good imho. God knows how often it happened that somebody suggested i should go for "brown base with caramel highlight"(hi bey!), lol no... i'm a winter type for life and proud, end of story.

FallingDarkness
July 26th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Would my hair be classified as "light blonde" then?

CostaRita
August 5th, 2014, 11:17 PM
haha the chart is blonde-centric lol

Larki
August 6th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Haha, everything is blonde on this chart. :p

ExpectoPatronum
August 6th, 2014, 01:46 AM
According to this chart, my natural hair color is a medium blonde! Nooooooo!

I've seen a lot of variations in these types of charts. They're definitely fun for when you want to know how your hair compares to different levels of darkness, especially when you compare from one chart to another!

Loviatar
August 6th, 2014, 03:13 AM
My old hairdresser calls me "medium blonde". Drives me nuts. My sister is honey/gold blonde, and has always made a massive deal out of the fact that she is the blonde of the family, so much so that it's really put me off the colour. I like it on other folks, but I would never go lighter (other than prebleaching for wacky colours).

In my own words, I'm a red-gold brunette. Or More often I describe my hair as auburn-mouse!

Level wise I am between 5 and 6.

Auburn-mouse forever ;) (or at least til I henna)

Johannah
August 6th, 2014, 03:35 AM
The person who made this definitely loves blonde hair, for sure.

Firefox7275
August 6th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Naturally I am non of the above, the 'level 7 medium blonde' is closest but it is WAY warmer than my hair (dark mouse, as in cute grey-ish wild rodents). Dark blonde looks full on brown to me too.

peachyleshy
August 6th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Looks like I'm a blonde as well. I don't agree with that... Because I've had to go through many stages to bleach my hair blonde and that can't be accurate!

Nadine <3
August 6th, 2014, 06:52 PM
This chart is hilarious, I'm a blonde apparently hehe

Wait...everyone here is a blonde. Unless you have black hair... Poor red heads :(

MINAKO
August 6th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I still cant get over it that they don't make the least effort to specify level 1 and 2 any further than "black"! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/blooba/10.gif