PDA

View Full Version : Hair For a Job Interview?!

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 25th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I have WL and I'm wondering what all of you people do with your hair for a job interview. I'm 17 and this is only my second interview. This one is for a floor position at Fabricland. I've always been told "back off your face" and I understand that but what is appropriate for this kind of interview? Last position I looked at was a church secretary position and I had my hair in a kind of roll thing at the back of my neck (here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11849&attachmentid=11746 )

Ps. I'm wearing a summer dress. Black sleeveless/tank top with stripes in the bottom. And since it's rainy I'll have black tights and short boots.

Madora
July 25th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Perhaps this might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

When I went to my job interviews, I always wore my hair in a braided bun.

Good luck, Eowyn_GreyEyes!

vulgarshudder
July 25th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I think yes something off the face and off the neck is best. A fringe is ok if they aren't below the eyebrows. If they are, or you have layers around your face pin and/or hairspray them out the way so you're not fiddling with them. You can't go wrong with something like a simple bun or a french twist with no too big or flashy pins or ornaments.

A pony tail is debatable, I'm not so fond but nothing too high (too little girl like) or too low (like you not bothered). An inverted pony tail made with a topsy tail looks quite profession. But personally I wouldn't wear a pony tail at longer lengths because it gets in the way/looks messy for me.

I think braids are ok too if they are neat.

Kaelee
July 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Whatever it is, make sure it's comfortable and stable. Bun explosion during an interview would NOT be good!

Valkyriejae
July 25th, 2014, 11:27 AM
For all three interviews leading up to my current job I just did a cinnabun held with a ficcare. I've also done a nautilus held with a plain 2 prong fork.
I would advise against any complex buns (braided nautilus and rose for example) or any very flashy hairtoys to hold it (flexi-8s, elaborate forks, that sort of thing.) Generally, I'd say something fairly "mainstream" looking is your safest bet - low cinnabun, french twist, english or french braid...

Also, I know you're only asking about hair, but I would recommend against wearing a sleeveless/tank strap dress. Short sleeves that cover the shoulders are required in the dresscode of most corporations (I believe including fabricland) and it is always better to follow a hypothetical dress code. Err on the business side of "business-casual."

Just my 2cents though, good luck with your interview!

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 25th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you ladies! After all this I've decided to go with a side part, small Dutch braids to ears and all wound into a low bun!

Pictures :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11849&attachmentid=12069

Undomiel
July 25th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Thank you ladies! After all this I've decided to go with a side part, small Dutch braids to ears and all wound into a low bun!

Pictures :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11849&attachmentid=12069

Very pretty :) GL during your interview!

hairpleasegrow
July 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I love Fabricland….just wear a braid or a pony tail, or wear it in a bun with a pretty toy. I think they are simply looking for someone with good customer service skills and a positive attitude.

Don't worry about your hair instead concentrate on possible answers to interview questions ( ex tell me about a time when you used your customer service skills with an unhappy customer, or tell me about a time you experience conflict with your manager and how you deal with it.

I loathe interview questions but these two always come up!! :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Thank you Manwathiel! (What does the elvish mean?)

Hairpleasegrow: ive never had a job besides babysitting so i'll have to be honest and say something that i can relate to those questions ;)

apynip
July 25th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I think the style you chose is perfect! I don't usually wear my hair all the way up for interviews because of a neck tattoo that I have. I think half up half down hairstyles look great but probably not best for Fabric land (don't want scissors catching your hairs). Good luck with your interview though! I'm sure it will go well. :)

YGDW
July 25th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I have always worn my hair down to job interviews, but it is 'only' BSL and in layers, so I think that's quite mainstream acceptable - I did get the jobs! Perhaps with waist length hair that's still an option, although some people might not like it (you know, the people who think long hair is unprofessional blabla - they probably don't understand all the patience and dedication that comes with growing hair ;) ), so maybe a bun is a safer option.

Anyway, I think your hair in the photos is great: cute yet sophisticated, so I'll totally go with that.

I agree with Valkyriejae on the shoulder part by the way: in many corporations it is not considered very professionals to show your shoulders. Better safe than sorry. :)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 25th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I think the style you chose is perfect! I don't usually wear my hair all the way up for interviews because of a neck tattoo that I have. I think half up half down hairstyles look great but probably not best for Fabric land (don't want scissors catching your hairs). Good luck with your interview though! I'm sure it will go well. :)

Thank you! Good call on the tattoo, unless youre going for an alternative clothing store or a music store :P and yeah i have had bad dreams about cutting my hair while sewing :{

I got the job everyone! Starting next tuesday at noon!

SkyChild
July 25th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Yay! Well done you!

YGDW
July 25th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Congratulations!

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Congrats on getting the job!
I think the main thing for job interviews is for your hair to look contained, tidy and as if you are in control of it, rather than it being in control of you.It's really best if the interviewer doesn't notice your hair but sees the whole of you as an attractive but not overly sexy individual. You want to look low maintenance and efficient and while we know that long hair is very often much easier to maintain and care for than short styled hair, you won't really get a chance to educate an interviewer (or a boss who might promote you) about this as they will judge you (stereotype you) without discussing it with you and pass you over.
Safest is up, back and contained unless you have a very arty or counterculture job or own your own business. Once you are established you can be an exception to this, or if you have some skill that isn't common and is needed you can often call the shots, however there are some jobs for which you basically are going to have to get a haircut. Who's the last really high level executive (except in tv shows, which doen't count) that you've seen with hair past shoulder?
Young women, be especially aware--it is fatal to be seen playing with your hair, whether flipping, twirling or constantly taking it up and down. People just mark you as flirtatious and not serious so another reason for the contained hairstyle is to have hair that you CAN'T play with. You should seem as unaware of it as possible.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
July 25th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Congrats on getting the job!
I think the main thing for job interviews is for your hair to look contained, tidy and as if you are in control of it, rather than it being in control of you.It's really best if the interviewer doesn't notice your hair but sees the whole of you as an attractive but not overly sexy individual. You want to look low maintenance and efficient and while we know that long hair is very often much easier to maintain and care for than short styled hair, you won't really get a chance to educate an interviewer (or a boss who might promote you) about this as they will judge you (stereotype you) without discussing it with you and pass you over.
Safest is up, back and contained unless you have a very arty or counterculture job or own your own business. Once you are established you can be an exception to this, or if you have some skill that isn't common and is needed you can often call the shots, however there are some jobs for which you basically are going to have to get a haircut. Who's the last really high level executive (except in tv shows, which doen't count) that you've seen with hair past shoulder?
Young women, be especially aware--it is fatal to be seen playing with your hair, whether flipping, twirling or constantly taking it up and down. People just mark you as flirtatious and not serious so another reason for the contained hairstyle is to have hair that you CAN'T play with. You should seem as unaware of it as possible.

Great advice :D I agree though it's only a retail position, I constantly have to tuck fringe away or behind my shoulder so I knew for sure I had to get most if not all of it back :P I will be keeping it back but not up all the time, keeping in mind is a semi formal kind of position I definitely agree that having distracting or fleißig hair just won't do