PDA

View Full Version : Keratin is icky -.-

kganihanova
July 24th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hi guys! Check out this video I found detailing the whole process. Its super incentive for me anyway- to not do this ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWV0m6WXpI

MINAKO
July 24th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Well the video is from 2010, the products have been improved since then and the model in the video didn't have nice hair to begin with. The video surely doesn't show how benefical of a product keratin can be to certain (not all, just some) hairtypes. My hair loves it and as im doing it completly myself i have full control over the use of heat.
My hairs sure is healthy and only a few inches from classic.

kganihanova
July 24th, 2014, 08:37 PM
You do it yourself though, so you have the control. As far as I know you're not using that much heat. The five million thousand passes of the iron freak me out, at that temp too....

MINAKO
July 24th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the video wasn't a good example and neither the product, not the stylist appeared to be very professional and educated about hair.
It's often recommended to use keratin at 230°C which is to hot for my personal preference, so i keep it betwenn 200-210°C and only ever pass two times using as much of a high end flatiron as available out there.

There are pics of my freshly straightened hair flying around the forums and i can take a few detail schots next time i do it.

shinyspoon3
July 24th, 2014, 11:24 PM
I don't think I have ever fully appreciated having 1a hair, until right now. That is just too much work. And heat.

LadyCelestina
July 25th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Icky or not,if there was something that would make my hair look as good as hers did in the end of the video,while being non damaging and minimally texture altering,I'd totally go for it no matter how lengthy the process :D

metztlie
July 25th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I don't think I have ever fully appreciated having 1a hair, until right now. That is just too much work. And heat.

Agreed, allmost 14 minutes of heat. I'm way to lazy to do anything like that ;) And if a product takes that much effort I'm definitely not trying it :P

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Uhmmm, the footage was cut. The process can take well over 3 hours. :cool:

metztlie
July 25th, 2014, 02:46 AM
nope nope nope nope nope.
3 hours :confused: I think I get the "no, no appointments I need to do my hair" thing.

kganihanova
July 25th, 2014, 04:45 AM
It's really expensive too. My bank account cries at the prices.

BroomHilda
July 25th, 2014, 05:06 AM
I can assure you as a coarse-curly who took a break from BKTs that although this process is really time consuming, its extremely time and money (if you do it yourself) saving in the long run. A typical curly head needs time, products and a know-how in order to look good and retain length. Its something straight haired people cannot appreciate but the best of all with this treatment is the super low maintenance ; to wash hair within 10 mins and do NOTHING else. Not even detangling.
Too expensive if you choose having the service in a salon tho.

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 05:18 AM
BroomHilda, i couldn't agree more. For us wurly/coarse/frizzy hairtypes this treatment if done right and otherwise proper care is not neglected hair can stay healthier and is easier to manage over time. I think the problem with keratin aside from the controversy on formadehyde (which was a century ago) is manly that stylist often perform it too strong, the clients hairtype is too fine or fragile, or last but not least they are trying to use it to cover up clompletely damaged and wrecked hair... in this cases the treatment is supposed to backfire, but it's being applied nevertheless to make money.
I for my part wouldn't want to miss the benefit tho, without it i was detangling forever at armpit length and now it's almost classic and im usually done in a matter of minutes. It gives a nice finish and aligns uruly hair gradually more and more without breaking any of the bond (given the case that hair wont be fried to death).
I'm using it at home and a bottle costs like 200,- bucks but then again last me 18months or longer. It's awesome and doesn't deserve the bad reputation it seems to have nowadays.

BroomHilda
July 25th, 2014, 05:56 AM
exactly. I am planing to start again cause it makes growing out so much easier and faster but I missed my big curly hair. I was so impressed that my curls reverted back to natural texture after 3 years of constant application.
MINAKO if I were you, at classic length I would stop BKTing for a while. Super long curly hair is stunning. I feel like mine will never reach that length.

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Yeah, haha, i did take a long break since the last treatment, but more so for the reason that im super lazy. It reverted almost to it's original pattern but still more controlled and feeling better thaen it ever did before. Either way, it reat to have options. I already failed badly at some stylists idea of how the japanese method should ruin an entire head of her (it was done improperly but i didn't know any better until it was too late). So i'm feeling really really safe with keratin, since i can adjust the result perfectly to my liking, lus all the new products are perfectly fine to use at home without much of a risk in terms of overprocessing like a relaxer or something. Sometimes i even use the treatment dilluted in water as a protein leave in. :))) Happy it works for us! ;)

Anje
July 25th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I know what you meant, but I keep seeing the thread title and mentally protesting. Keratin is what hair's made out of, and hair's not icky! (Not unless it's in your food, at least.) :lol:

Also, does anyone else see -.- and read "K"?

/not a quality post.

sumidha
July 25th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Yikes, I stopped watching when she started combing the stuff through her hair from the roots down. :(

metztlie
July 25th, 2014, 11:37 AM
BroomHilda I can imagine that it makes your life much much easier. I promise I'll stop hating on my 1a hair.

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 01:42 PM
exactly. I am planing to start again cause it makes growing out so much easier and faster but I missed my big curly hair. I was so impressed that my curls reverted back to natural texture after 3 years of constant application.
MINAKO if I were you, at classic length I would stop BKTing for a while. Super long curly hair is stunning. I feel like mine will never reach that length.
Yeah, every time I look at people like Quixii, I just swoon. I also feel mine will never reach that length. But going to have patience!
I keep feeling Minako is special to have figured out how to get exactly what SHE wanted and to be doing something she is happy with. Differences make the world go round and her hair is beautiful either way. I wouldn't be happy without my curls though. Metzlie do stop hating on your hair, I'm sure it is gorgeous and hating it is just pointless anyway. I think it may actually be harder to make super straight hair curl than it is to make supercurly hair straight. Though of course straight hair is currently in style so you see few trying it--I remember the difficulties though, when straighties want curls--its not fun.!

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I agree, don't ever hate on your hair, but rather see what you like about it and enhance that. I often feel that texture is the biggest divider in here, but to my in a way straight/curly is jsut the same as light/dark, fine/coarse, long/short. Just one particular feature, but certainlythe most discussed one when it some to a change. And then all this cultural drama in the background on top of it, lol.
Anyways, even tho i figured out what works best for me i still LOVE curls on others. Like i was obsessed with Keri Russells Hair as a kid, but i clearly didn't want it for myself. Straightening it for me just does the same as Henna might do for other people, and keratin if performed right, is very comparable.
So please lets encourage each other to ake the right personal choices, research new methods carefully, keeping healthy hair a main focus. Because in the end healthy hair is always the prettiest, no matter what texture, so whatever possibilities comes out way, as long as we don't fry it, it will probably look amazing anyways.

I have a few pics flying around by now, most recent one of my unaltered texture in the morning hair thread. So you can see for yourself that it still reverts nicely and is super healthy after many many treatments. :o

Chen Thank you! And that goes for you as well, your hair is super gorgeous and i can definitely see more legth in every shot you post. It just appears to slow to you because you see it several times a day. My measuring tape says i have grown about 5 inches since january and to be honest if i didn't read the number i wouldn't notice, but it does grow. :cheer:

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks MINAKO. I appreciate the encouragement.
Off to the morning hair thread!

I agree, don't ever hate on your hair, but rather see what you like about it and enhance that. I often feel that texture is the biggest divider in here, but to my in a way straight/curly is jsut the same as light/dark, fine/coarse, long/short. Just one particular feature, but certainlythe most discussed one when it some to a change. And then all this cultural drama in the background on top of it, lol.
Anyways, even tho i figured out what works best for me i still LOVE curls on others. Like i was obsessed with Keri Russells Hair as a kid, but i clearly didn't want it for myself. Straightening it for me just does the same as Henna might do for other people, and keratin if performed right, is very comparable.
So please lets encourage each other to ake the right personal choices, research new methods carefully, keeping healthy hair a main focus. Because in the end healthy hair is always the prettiest, no matter what texture, so whatever possibilities comes out way, as long as we don't fry it, it will probably look amazing anyways.

I have a few pics flying around by now, most recent one of my unaltered texture in the morning hair thread. So you can see for yourself that it still reverts nicely and is super healthy after many many treatments. :o

Chen Thank you! And that goes for you as well, your hair is super gorgeous and i can definitely see more legth in every shot you post. It just appears to slow to you because you see it several times a day. My measuring tape says i have grown about 5 inches since january and to be honest if i didn't read the number i wouldn't notice, but it does grow. :cheer:

queenovnight
July 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
For some reason, I was expecting a dramatic ending. Like, her having a whole new head of spectacular hair. That whole process and it doesn't seem like she got much from it xD

Anywho, I thought her hair was prettier before but oh well!

Shibe
July 25th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I'm glad so many of you have had good results from keratin, but this poor girl did not :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZnFXnIaGg

queenovnight
July 25th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Shibe,
Oh! I've seen that video. That video actually stopped me from getting a keratin treatment. As soon as I seen it, I was like NOPE.

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I'm glad so many of you have had good results from keratin, but this poor girl did not :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZnFXnIaGg

Honestly, she seems to have been not well informed to begin with. Not saying i never did a similar mistake but i wasn't going "uh oh, i'm gonna cry 'cuz mah hurr is a big part of who i am!" Well, then DO NOT take risks!!! Simply, she did trust her stylist a few steps too far. It was probably ironed too hot, uneven and previously damaged part dont revert as well either. I got straight ends after the third time or so because the effect started adding up, but i sort of liked it as it wasn't uneven at all, just wavier closer to the scalp, but the same in each section basically.
This treatmet really should not be advertised as a way to mask damage rather then to prevent it on healthy hair, which is kind of hard to manage as stylist are most likely choosing the etreme to impress their clients at the first application. People seldom got any patience, don't educated themselves on the matter but keep clinging to the highest expectations... it's really not the keratin gone bad here. sorry :/

MINAKO
July 25th, 2014, 04:29 PM
*fighting to break the myth* (as in spreading positivity... just like Anje said, after all, our hair is made out of mostly keratin and it can be put to good use if that's the look one is going for!

eaving another vid that appears much more professional and friedly. It's promo, but that's what going to the salon ideally would be about, premium products and expert hands, a bit of talking about background of the hair as well as the goals.
The girl has much curlier hair than i do and still i think it turns out beautifully. I'm currently struggling to finish my Dikson Keratin and also A sample from Eugene Perma, will give Goldwell a shot the time after because i loe there kerasilk line that has been on the market already when those kind of smoothing treatments weren't even invented yet.

Her hair looks fantastic before AND after, that's the way it should be approached. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-P793vo9aU