PDA

View Full Version : tangle matting from glycerine? need a new leave in

squiggyflop
March 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
i washed my hair today and triple conditioned it.. it felt really silky and was easy to detangle while wet.. then instead of applying a dimesize ammount of "paul mitchel the conditioner" (dad bought it for me because i complained that i needed a leave in.. thank goodness its such a tiny bottle) to just the ends i applyed a quarter size ammount to my whole head... my hair looked great all day but then i went to touch it and realized that my hair was one giant matted clump that was disguized by sleak hairs that were lying flat on the surface of it... the only other time my hair has really ever done this (after childhood) is when i did a SMT so i picked up the bottle of aloe and the bottle of PM the conditioner and realized they both have alot of glycerine in them... so now im thinking that maybe glycerine makes my hair matt itself.
has anyone else seen results like these...
my hair felt weird and it took a long time and lots of detangler spray to get the knots out.
now i guess im going to look for annother leave-in but i want the leave in to have as much cones as possible... really really heavy with cones.. my hair loves cones and i dont mind clarifying once a week or more.. does anyone know a leave in that is really really cone filled?

ChloeDharma
March 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
What about making a leave in by diluting a coney conditioner with water and using that? I used to do that actually.

Mahars
March 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Sunsilk 24/7 is has tons of cones in it and it sells for only about 3 or 4 bucks. I haven't tried it myself because my hair hates cones, but it's really popular on makeupalley.com. I figure it's so cheap, you might as well give it a shot. Good luck finding something that works. :)

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Humectants can dry hair out as much as they can moisturize it. It's hard to explain, I don't have my brain with me today, but if you do a search at The Beauty Brains about it you might find more information.

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Have you tried no-cones yet? I always thought my hair loved cones until I did a no-cone condish and realized" hey my ends don't turn into knot balls anymore". My hair also doesn't like glycerin very much either.mane and tail I believe is cone a luscious and i ones used it as a leave in and got the greasy BIG TIME so I know it's full of cones galore.

Faepirate
March 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm! My hair occasionally does the same if I put any conditioner on above ear level. I use no-cones conditioner so it can't be that. I had considered protein (no clue how to recognise proteins so who knows) and never thought of glycerine. Interesting thought!

Áine
March 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Humectants can dry hair out as much as they can moisturize it. It's hard to explain, I don't have my brain with me today, but if you do a search at The Beauty Brains about it you might find more information.

^ So true. In the arid environment I live in, humectants actually work against me, sucking moisture from my hair/skin. Using humectants like honey and especially glycerin for leave-ins should be for those whose environments are humid, because it works both ways.

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Have you tried Its A 10 it has alot of cones in it. I use it as a leave in when I use heat to style my hair. A little goes a long way I have had this small bottle forever and hardly any is gone.

squiggyflop
March 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM
wow such good advise..
i have no idea what Humectant is..
lora410:
yes ive tryed no cones with disasterous results.. i tryed it for almost 2 months. the damage was awful... i have no doubt in my mind that i would be past waist now if i hadnt broken off so much hair with no cones. so many split ends...

im curious about "its a 10"
expecially the long lasting part.

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
wow such good advise..
i have no idea what Humectant is..
lora410:
yes ive tryed no cones with disasterous results.. i tryed it for almost 2 months. the damage was awful... i have no doubt in my mind that i would be past waist now if i hadnt broken off so much hair with no cones. so many split ends...

im curious about "its a 10"
expecially the long lasting part.

glycerin is a humectant. honey is a humectant. there's other stuff too, but that should explain it well enough.

chloeishere
March 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
A humectant is a substance that attracts moisture-- glycerin, honey, hyaluronic acid (which is used in skin care, but is probably far too strong for hair!).
This can be good, in a humid enviroment, as akurah said, because it will attract moisture from the air to your skin and hair. Yay, hydration!
But in a really dry enviroment, it could pull moisture out of the hair shaft instead, drying out your hair further. Obviously, that's not so good.
It works differently in the skin, though; it will pull moisture from the rest of the body, even in a dry enviroment, which will keep your skin nice and moisturized. So long as you drink plenty of fluids, I believe humectants are always good for the skin.

Hope that's understandable!

squiggyflop
March 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
so i was washing my hair yesterday and i had just finished conditioning my hair when i got the idea to take a cup of water and mix in some cone filled conditioner for a final rinse... i poured the cloudy conditioner water onto my hair from my ears down and squeezed out some of the excess.. i put my hair in a turbie for about 15 minutes then i let it dry for a bit then i damp combed it... when it dryed it was not greasylooking at all and my usually frizzy waves seem to be tamed a bit... i slept with my hair down and woke up with alot less tangles than i usually have in the morning... perhaps i have actually found something my hair likes...

Patrycja
March 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Aussie Catch the Wave leave in is what I used to use before my hair begin to hate cones.I did a review on it in the review section here.I listed the ingrediants also.If you have wavy hair it does calm them down so beware.

maryva
November 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
chloeishire -- do you think hyaluronic acid is too strong for the hair, or any reason not to use it on the hair? I saw a shampoo and conditioner that actually have it as one of the main ingredients. It also seems like it would be lightweight/non greasy applied as a leave-in. I do live in a fairly humid climate -- Virginia. Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Dolly
November 13th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Aussie Hair Insurance is also a good leave-in. That's the one I use.....

Curlsgirl
November 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM
^ So true. In the arid environment I live in, humectants actually work against me, sucking moisture from my hair/skin. Using humectants like honey and especially glycerin for leave-ins should be for those whose environments are humid, because it works both ways.

We have humid summers here but I still cannot use glycerin or honey either one no matter what time of the year it is. They both make my hair dry and tangly. I do okay if the glycerin is already added to a conditioner or something but not mixed in as a mister leave-in. I also cannot use honey in my SMTs. :shrug:

Loviatar
November 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Redken anti-snap is my favourite coney leave in. Expensive though, so maybe Chloedharma's suggestion would be better.

lora410
November 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
People have different reactions to stuff like that. My hair personally loves it all. I would suggest just a tiny amount of condish you use on a regular basis as a leave in. I find that the silkier my hair is after a shower the more tangles I have and if my hair feels like Brillo my hair comes out magically soft and tangle free :shrug: I'm odd apparently.

maryva
November 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM
This is probably something that should be obvious, but how can I tell if my weather is considered humid during the fall/winter? I live in Virginia and during the summer it definitely gets humid here. I'm not sure whether to try humectants in my hair or not! I saw a shampoo and conditioner with hyaluronic acid in it that I'd like to try but am not sure now if my weather is humid enough? Hyaluronic acid has worked great to help moisturize my skin. Thanks so much