PDA

View Full Version : How to make hair smooth and silky?

aforestfae
July 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I have 1b/c hair. If I brush my hair it goes all flyaway and kind of big, if I air dry it it does the same.
I use different shampoos and a fairly thick conditioner, use hair masks once or twice a week and sometimes an argan oil.
My hair only looks good if I dry it in a low ponytail, rollers or sock bun.
What else could I try without resorting to using heat?

StellaKatherine
July 24th, 2014, 11:59 AM
when I over oil it with coconut oil and then over conditioner, I find my hair loose all the puffiness and is more silky and smooth. After crying how I hate my big and freezy hair I found out that I actually missed it looking huge ;)

Maybe try over night coconut oil treatment ?

ChloeDharma
July 24th, 2014, 12:01 PM
A yogurt DT works wonders for me. A full fat, plain yogurt with some honey and essential oils added leaves my hair much smoother and shinier. It even worked wonders when I had chemically fried hair. A little aloe gel mixed with a couple of drops of jojoba oil as a leave in on damp hair also does a nice job of making my hair smooth and soft.

MINAKO
July 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Did you try wet detangling and then no brushing at all. It's more of a CG thing but might help others with poufiness too. Resisting the urgen toburush it can be difficult tho, i know that :P
Oil rinsing would be another thing to try, as well as heavy prepoo oiling. I personally love to incorporate molasses and silk protein/keratin in my treatments. My hair is already quiet slippery but due to alot of different textures going on i need as much smoothing and slip as i can get.
Lanolin also is great in a leave in product, it weighs down a bit and makes my hair super soft. Last but not least the cones. Are you using any of them or not? A serum would probably be something, or if you are cone free you could try babyoil, just a few drops on damp hair.
Have you been to the LOC thread already, alot of us with dry/frizzy/thick/unruly hair swear by it.

In case you would want to wear it straight, did you try wrapping overnight yet? I think at 26" inches its still possible to do. Or headband curls as an alternative, because it's very comfy to wear to sleep.

Akville
July 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
something with cones would do a trick.... I promise...

arr
July 24th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Is this a problem for you just the rest of the day after washing? The reason i ask is because i think a lot of us ( or at least myself) have kind of a puffy frizzy texture that first day, but by the next day when it is thoroughly dry, it calms down. If its just the day of washing, i would damp braid or bun it and that will help calm it down.

Firefox7275
July 25th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Are you sure you are only a 1/ straighty and not a 2/ hidden wavy?

To get my coloured waves the least poufy/ fluffy/ frizzy I wash in conditioner (cationic electrical charge/ acidic pH), definitely no anionic shampoo, apply leave in conditioner to sopping hair, remove excess water, comb and tie back wet, NO touching or grooming until fully dry, up dos styled with a lightweight oil.

LongHairLesbian
July 25th, 2014, 06:36 PM
What's the climate like where you live? Because I am a true 1b (no hidden waves at all :( ) and if the weather outside is super dry, I get ALL the flyaways if I try to put a brush through my hair. Especially if I washed my hair recently. Maybe try finger combing only for a few days and see if that helps? That should help keep the pattern of your hair consistent, and somewhat reduce dryness. Incorporating a light leave-in conditioner into your routine might help too, I've found that mine helps produce more smoothness and shine. I think what arr said up thread is also probably true; shampoo is essentially a detergent that strips oil from our scalps. I pre-oil, let my conditioner sit for at least 5 minutes in the shower, and use a leave in conditioner on t-shirt dried hair as my routine. Lots of moisture, but the fluffiness after a shampooing is almost unavoidable, even in straight hair. Damp bunning works WONDERS on calming down fluffiness and keeping hair relatively smooth, something about the way the hair dries. Leads to the best hair days. :) Good luck!