PDA

View Full Version : NCIS star has allergic reaction to her black hair dye.

browneyedsusan
July 24th, 2014, 10:11 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/ncis-star-experiences-the-dangers-of-hair-dye-92646145518.html

Poor thing!
She needs to switch to henna and indigo! (Or manic panic or something different!)

I have allergies, and have had itchy, irritated scalp before with hair color. Nothing horrible, but enough to make me wonder about it.

Have any of you had trouble with hair dye? Was that your primary reason for switching to henna/indigo?

PrincessBob
July 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I had a reaction the first time I dyed my hair black with a commercial dye. I have been well aware of PPD and it's dangers for a very long time. Plus my hair was too thick for the amount of dye and I had weird streaks and spots, it would be a couple years before I thought about dying it again.

The second time I dyed it black I used an indigo based commercial dye that is now out of production, it was made by one of the common US hair dye companies in a line called natural instincts. The natural instinct amazon indigo was a gorgeous color and lasted well, and no reaction. (You can see a pick of the result in my recent blog entry)

I am playing with the idea of dying the last 8-10 inches some fantastic unnatural color, but don't want to bleach it first, so I doubt I will ever get good color, though. I tried to indigo my hair two years ago, but I guess the dye didn't release or take or something and my hair had a barely grey-green tinge for almost a week and it washed right out.

MINAKO
July 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Oh gosh! Good thing that nothing worse happened. We all know how this ends when the reaction is really extreme. :'(((
I haven't had any reaction to black dye myself yet, but stopped using it more than 8 years ago ad certainly will never go back.
I love indigo and my deposit dyes

PrincessBob. Pravana just launched a new neon line. Check out the pink ;)

KittyBird
July 24th, 2014, 12:50 PM
How scary! I used conventional dyes for nearly 10 years, and though I didn't get any severe allergic reactions, the itching was pretty horrible the last few times I dyed. I stopped after reading about a young woman who died after getting an extreme allergic reaction. I started researching natural ways to get black hair, found LHC, tried Lush Caca Noir, started doing my own henndigo mixes, and eventually decided that I wanted henna red hair instead of black. I'll never go back to conventional dyes. Even my mom has stopped dying her graying hair because she's worried about allergic reactions. She lets me henna gloss it instead :cool:

longNred
July 24th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I used box dye once, and HATED it. The color was so flat and weird. Yup, it covered my couple of grays, but it was an obvious flat color. I've had it done in the salon maybe 2x in my life? and the last time I remember the burning sensation on my head, and thought, omgosh, THIS is not good. I then noticed a few more grays and freaked out, ran out and bought a box of dye - got home and really READ the ingredients, couldn't bring myself to put it on my head, called my hairdresser to whine about it, and she agreed henna would be a good route to explore - and I've never looked back, I only wish I had embraced henna earlier! my hair has never been so healthy (and pretty w/ the multidimensional tones henna creates)

lapushka
July 24th, 2014, 02:51 PM
The link isn't working for me. ?

browneyedsusan
July 24th, 2014, 05:56 PM
The link isn't working for me. ?

I'm not surprised, because computers operate by magic, and I can't figure out the tricks! :magic:

How about a "cut and paste"?
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/ncis-star-experiences-the-dangers-of-hair-dye-92646145518.html

Maybe that'll work!

lapushka
July 24th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not surprised, because computers operate by magic, and I can't figure out the tricks! :magic:

How about a "cut and paste"?

Maybe that'll work!

Yes, that did it! Thanks so much. :D

Oh boy, didn't realize it was "Abby" from NCIS. I knew she was a natural blonde and that she dyed it, but gosh, what is she going to do now?

aspartame gram
July 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Yikes! Good thing she caught it in time and went to the hospital.

I used to dye my hair on and off with conventional dyes, but none of it ever seemed to look right. I agree with longNred that box color, and salon color, can look one-dimensional. I think that's why many people will request the double-process procedure, where they'll have it dyed one color and then have highlights added. I finally stopped dying my hair because it grows quickly, I have blonde hair, and it made my scalp itch/tingle. It just wasn't worth it, to me.

I hope she finds something that will work! I'm envious at how good the black looks on her. Dang!

MeowScat
July 24th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Yikes! I'm glad she's okay, this sounds scary:

http://www.etonline.com/news/148793_ncis_star_pauley_perrette_deadly_hair_dye/index.html (http://www.etonline.com/news/148793_ncis_star_pauley_perrette_deadly_hair_dye/index.html)

RavennaNight
July 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Thank goodness she is OK. I started having swelling and itching at the base of my neck from regular conventional hair dye. Sounds like she is a good candidate for hennindigo :)

ravenreed
July 24th, 2014, 11:18 PM
It vexes me so much that two of the "safe" dyes recommended at the end of the article actually contain PPD. The author didn't do much research.

Autumnberry
July 25th, 2014, 12:01 AM

Poor thing!
She needs to switch to henna and indigo! (Or manic panic or something different!)

I have allergies, and have had itchy, irritated scalp before with hair color. Nothing horrible, but enough to make me wonder about it.

Have any of you had trouble with hair dye? Was that your primary reason for switching to henna/indigo? I didn't color my hair for over 10 years before I tried henna. I did try conventional hair dye (highlights/lowlights), and it did two things: 1) left a scab on my scalp over one inch in diameter 2) damaged my extra fine hair strands enough that dye would no longer stay in my hair. I was left with straggly light orange straw for hair. I will say with sincerity that worse than the color was the way my hair felt; it had no softness whatsoever--both right after it was dyed and then a week later, after the "permanent" dye washed out. I realize this is a very different experience from most people's with hair dye. I have been using henna for six years, and it is miraculous. And now I have some gray that the henna covers. No allergies, no damage, and a nice auburn :)

emilia1992
July 25th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I'm glad she's okay.

As an actress she'd probably be unable to use henna, since other roles might well require her to bleach out dye/ dye it some colour which henna can't go (and from experience, bleach plus even a tiny amount of henna means swamp-green tresses).

A wig would probably be the solution for her - they look so convincing on TV (think Cersei from Game of Thrones).

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I had such issues with relaxers and allergies (and am so allergic in general) that I'm sure it's a good thing that I admire grey hair so much and am looking forward to it.

door72067
July 25th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I'd get an itchy scalp from some colors, but it was so many years ago now, I don't even recall brands

Pauley Perrette (Abby) also has what appears to me as some serious tension alopecia from wearing her hair in pigtails for the last 10 years

if you catch 1st or 2nd season shows and compare her hair to now, you can see how much thickness she's lost and how wide the part at the back of her head has become (also seems to have hair loss at the base of her hairline as well)

<---big NCIS fan and Abby is why I began watching in the first place

Ambystoma
July 25th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I had a nasty reaction to a 6 wash temporary colour over a year ago. I thought it would be ok to use a rinse with PPD since I had dyed my hair black for over 10 years when I was younger and had used that same brand of wash out non developer colour in the past, just in a different shade but nope - my scalp tingled towards the end of the time I was supposed to leave it on, and when I rinsed it out (immediately after it started feeling weird) in the shower I started losing an alarming of hair, and continued to shed like crazy for a good 3 months afterwards. Luckily the hair loss wasn't too noticeable in the end but it was really scary at the time - I would cry combing it because of how much was coming out :(

On the plus side - I'm committed to being a Renergray now! :cheese:

Rosetta
July 26th, 2014, 01:33 AM
I've never had an allergic reaction to dye yet (surprisingly, as I've had reactions to many other things), but I recently decided to drop all PPD dyes, especially after reading this person's experience about cross-sensitization - makes for a very chilling read: :eek:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/color102804.cfm

Additionally, as many of you know, there have been several reported incidents of death from hair dye. Like I said, nothing's happened to me yet, but considering I've been using conventional dyes for most of my life (when I haven't used henna), it's surely only a matter of time when something does happen. And not only that, but PPD has also been linked to cancer in some studies, though it's not conclusively proven (yet). Ever since my best friend went through cancer, I've been very wary of such things. Also, I've read that PPD just accumulates in your body from each time you use a dye containing it... It's just not worth it, playing Russian roulette with my life and health! (Especially considering I can fairly easily get the colour I want from herbal hair colours, or deposit-only colourants that don't contain PPD.)

It vexes me so much that two of the "safe" dyes recommended at the end of the article actually contain PPD. The author didn't do much research.
Exactly!

Rosetta
July 26th, 2014, 01:34 AM
(Double post, sorry)

Sagi1982
July 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I'm no fan of henndigo, and I'm a natural fair ashblonde.
Best color I got with henndigo was a strange unflattering eggplant color.
Just sayin' as there are so many girls here who recommend it.

If I was Pauly Perett, I would take the wigs.