PDA

View Full Version : Curly Folk: Styling of the Hair.

queenovnight
July 23rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Curly folks, how do you style your hair? (Daily, on special occasions, ect)
Feel free to add your favorite hairstyles. - photos and the like.

I've recently decided to start wearing my hair curly, but honestly.. I need some 'styling' advice. So clue me in on this world that I've been avoiding for the past 21yrs of my life. - I put it in a bun and go. I literally don't remember the last time I wore my hair down curly without a braid-wave going on.

StellaKatherine
July 23rd, 2014, 01:26 PM
I am not a curly as such... But just learning to live with the waves of which I had no idea of having :) What I did notice is that since I learned, that I actually have a wavy hair and stopped brushing it off it is easier to keep it down without getting so much of tangles!

I will be looking forward what styles others can think off. As maybe someone as wavy as I am can still use them too ;)

Inkspot
July 23rd, 2014, 01:45 PM
What I have found is that going with the flow is often the best choice; my hair takes very poorly to aggressive styling (including any form of heat) and will become something similar to a birds nest if I attempt to force it into one style or the next. This being said, I often leave it down, air dried, or braid-waved, sometimes twisting or braiding the front pieces and clipping them back if I want to appear more formal.

I understand this is not incredibly intricate, however, I seem to get very little frizz with styles such as these. A novelty for my hair :)

CurlyCap
July 23rd, 2014, 02:03 PM
What I have found is that going with the flow is often the best choice; my hair takes very poorly to aggressive styling (including any form of heat) and will become something similar to a birds nest if I attempt to force it into one style or the next. This being said, I often leave it down, air dried, or braid-waved, sometimes twisting or braiding the front pieces and clipping them back if I want to appear more formal.

Words of wisdom.

Regarding styling, let your hair dictate the shape it wants to be. Super controlled styles generally have to be done on damp hair with a ton of holding product...and that usually isn't worth the effort. Curly hair has a ton of volume, so you'll quickly find you don't have to go to great lengths to get impressive updos if that's the look you're going for.

Other than that, my routine is focused on "How do I prevent tangling so that my life is easier." When I cowash, I put products in that keep my hair moisturized and well clumped and let it air dry. Once it's air-dried, I decide if I want to do something fancy (rarely).

The other good news is that curly hair will hold any hairtoy you throw at it, so you can decorate hairdos however you please.

Maktub
July 23rd, 2014, 03:13 PM
I'll be following this. My hair really irritates me these days. pff
To the point I kind of miss my "straitening" days.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Try looking into the LOC method for styling your curls (link is in my signature). This is the first step, before wearing updos of any kind. Styling in order to wear the hair down with ease (and without knots and tangles).

queenovnight
July 23rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone! Keep the advice comin'

lapushka,
Well, I actually don't like using hair products, so I don't think that method would work too well for me. - I was a traumatized 'lets try all hair products to calm her hair' child XD

Inkspot
July 23rd, 2014, 04:27 PM

I felt very similarly to this when I first stopped straightening my hair. Unfortunately, while straightening made my hair more manageable in the short term (given that there was not too much humidity that day) it caused it to be extremely difficult to handle as time progressed; causing more frizz and an unflatteringly altered curl pattern from all the drying and breakage it caused. In fact, it became so damaged at one point, it looked horrid curly and straight, in addition to becoming noticeably thinner. I can safely say that after about five years without using any heat, my hair has become much more manageable in all departments, thus making it much easier to style.

Inkspot
July 23rd, 2014, 04:28 PM

I felt very similarly to this when I first stopped straightening my hair. Unfortunately, while straightening made my hair more manageable in the short term (given that there was not too much humidity that day) it caused it to be extremely difficult to handle as time progressed; causing more frizz and an unflatteringly altered curl pattern from all the drying and breakage it caused. In fact, it became so damaged at one point, it looked horrid curly and straight, in addition to becoming noticeably thinner. I can safely say that after about five years without using any heat, my hair has become much more manageable in all departments, thus making it much easier to style.

Inkspot
July 23rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Sorry for double post! my computer is having a temper fit :rolleyes:

lapushka
July 23rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
lapushka,
Well, I actually don't like using hair products, so I don't think that method would work too well for me. - I was a traumatized 'lets try all hair products to calm her hair' child XD

I'm sorry to hear that, really I am, but I guess that was then and this is now. LOC is really amazing, and maybe one day your curiosity will get the better of you. ;) I'm not trying to push you into it, honest. :flower:

Theobroma
July 24th, 2014, 04:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, really I am, but I guess that was then and this is now. LOC is really amazing, and maybe one day your curiosity will get the better of you. ;) I'm not trying to push you into it, honest. :flower:

Also, you may be able to do it without using actual hair products. When I do it (infrequently, as I don't really find it's worth the effort) I use olive oil from the food section of the supermarket for the "O" component, and aloe vera gel from the skincare section as my "C". L is just liquid in my case, i.e. I start out with wet hair.

Nothing in that mix that's officially a hair product at all! :D

LadyCelestina
July 24th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I found that the longer my hair gets,the harder it is to keep it it's natural texture,since I need to put it up and the curls don't survive.It also is at it's curliest right after I take my towel of and then gradually gets wavier as time goes.I don't mind much though.
If I really have to style it (rare,formal occasion),I scrunch in plenty of gel and hairspray it to death.

queenovnight
July 24th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I think im just going to give up on styling curly.. Back to buns and braid waves!

LadyCelestina
July 24th, 2014, 10:08 AM
One thing nobody has mentioned is scrunching/plopping and this requires no product.
You basically cup your soaking wet hair with your palms and gently squeeze the water out.The cupping is what encourages the curls.
Plopping is turning your head upside down (or as close as you can get to upside down) and tying your hair in an old t-shirt usually.
All of this is better understood when you see it- for example on youtube.

But maybe you already know this ^^

queenovnight
July 24th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I always thought that plopping was the same as scrunching xD

I'm definitely going to give it a shot! Thanks!

chelsea89ms
July 24th, 2014, 10:33 AM
lapushka, I am going to look more into this LOC method it looks very interesting!

Right now all I do is CO wash with cheap suave conditioner, then right before getting out I put more of that in my hair as a leave in. Then I put some gel on top of that (hair is still soaking wet), then wrap my hair in a t-shirt (plop). The gel I use is called curls or goddess curls (from walmart), its cone free. When its almost dry I will take it out and sometimes add a lil oil depending on if I need it, then let it air dry. Styling is a hard one for me, I just let the curls decide really. If it looks good and Im going somewhere nice I keep it down, otherwise its a half up or a undo of some kind. I can still use a lot of help with updo's, even the neatest bun I make gets comments about my messy bun, perhaps I should put it up wet instead...

arelrios
July 24th, 2014, 10:40 AM
To the point I kind of miss my "straitening" days. My exact thoughts lately...

@OP: I am not curly, but I know that when I wear a suck bun (usually my 'styling method for fancy occasions) gives the results I like... however, the longer the hair gets, the more difficult I find to properly put it on a sock bun...

Marbid
July 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I have curly hair... But my methhod is "resist the flow" lol... I dont like wearing my hair curly because i like braids and buns and brushing my hair... Things that are very difficult with curly hair... I damp bun when hair is 50% dry.... By day 2 of damp bun.. Hair is 100% dry and with decent easy to manage waves.. (Cinabun is my friend) requieres no hardwork since i just have to ignore my hair prettymuch.... I avoid the tangles and i can braid my hair....

I dont wash my hair for about two weeks... Takes that long for my hair to get greasy.... And when i want to wear it curly for a special occassion... I have nice hair, since my method is heat free.... Works great for me.. I would really recomend this.. But i hear that many people get frizzy results when they attempt the damp bun... Oh well...

This is just what works for me.... I think its worth a try for those who have trouble managing their curls... I know i do.. I just cant avoid tangles in my hair when its curly.. And i dont like to rewet to revive the curl patterns on a daily basis..

Best luck to ya'll in finding what works best...

lapushka
July 24th, 2014, 03:05 PM
lapushka, I am going to look more into this LOC method it looks very interesting!

Right now all I do is CO wash with cheap suave conditioner, then right before getting out I put more of that in my hair as a leave in. Then I put some gel on top of that (hair is still soaking wet), then wrap my hair in a t-shirt (plop). The gel I use is called curls or goddess curls (from walmart), its cone free. When its almost dry I will take it out and sometimes add a lil oil depending on if I need it, then let it air dry. Styling is a hard one for me, I just let the curls decide really. If it looks good and Im going somewhere nice I keep it down, otherwise its a half up or a undo of some kind. I can still use a lot of help with updo's, even the neatest bun I make gets comments about my messy bun, perhaps I should put it up wet instead...

Looks like you're using the LOC method already. You are using a leave-in, a gel, and an oil. I also do it in this order and the gel is applied 2nd of all. Currently I was experimenting with the amounts, but more is in the LOC thread (link in my signature).

chelsea89ms
July 24th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Looks like you're using the LOC method already. You are using a leave-in, a gel, and an oil. I also do it in this order and the gel is applied 2nd of all. Currently I was experimenting with the amounts, but more is in the LOC thread (link in my signature).

Oh I had no idea, I thought it had to be in order :) I just love reading about different routines and products that work for curls. It seams to work differently from day to day, but thats probably all the humidity in my area.

gunjee
July 25th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Been a long time since I posted anything to the forums. My 3a-3b mid-back length hair gets very tangled if I just plop after showering and then let it airdry, but I don't want to use any products that could build up. So I apply a little aloe gel mixed with coconut oil in the palm of my hands to my damp plopped hair and take sections 2 finger widths thick and make twists in alternating directions and just let those air dry. It takes a couple of hours to dry enough, and then I just undo the twists to look like natural controlled curls. I do half ups and loose ponytails at the nape of my neck generally and it looks pretty. I do bun my hair occasionally in a loose bun held with Goody spin pins, but my hair is quite heavy and the longer it gets, the more it weighs and makes my head and neck hurt.

abauer789
July 25th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I just finished growing out my natural hair color and found out that I am wavy! I have experimented with some of the curly girl methods and with my fine but abundant wavy hair, I have found this things work great:

Beautiful Curls brand curl defining gel for wavy hair - I love this stuff! All natural, too! I put that on my hair after washing and conditioning. I do comb it through to make sure it is distributed and then scrunch with a micro fiber towel and let air dry. Viola! I really like the results, nicely formed waves and after a little bit on finger combing I get a natural beachy like wavy look.
I have gotten TONS of compliments on my new wavy hair style!!!:o

MultiCultiCurly
July 25th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I pretty much do whatever style I want. The buns, braids, etc can all be done just fine on curls, in fact, I LOVE the texture that my curls give my style choices. I work as an embalmer/funeral director, so I wisely keep my hair as put up and out of the way as possible on a daily basis. That usually means waking up, and spending maybe 5-10 minutes on my hair. I simply wet it a little and add a little oil/condish, and just finger rake it back into a fairly smooth bun or twisted/braided bun, and add a nice headband for flyaway control. Flex-8's, hairsticks and hairforks (in that order) are my toys of choice. I leave detangling for after work, and even then it's just about 15-20 minutes of gingerly finger-detangling slightly dampened hair with some coconut oil (and maybe a touch of condish for control). I make a big twist (a twisted bun if I'm going out to look "presentable") and let it dry to stay detangled. When hubby comes home, I "unfurl" it (lol) and it's all pretty. On days off, I do my detangling early in the day with more condish and let it airdry to rock awesome curls all day long :-). With just a few technique/handling changes, you'll see that rocking your curls is pretty easy and fun! :D

Firefox7275
July 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM
There is a book called 'Strictly Curls' for up dos.

queenovnight
July 25th, 2014, 09:04 PM
^ Thank you a million times!

GetMeToWaist
July 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I'm a wavy but my hair is getting curlier to my delight! I CWC, no cones or sulfates, and I add honey to my last conditioner which honestly has made my hair so silky and slippery. I toweldry it with a cotton tshirt. Then I do the LOC method, with a hair butter, a conditioning/detangling spray and Frizz Ease Gel. I'm starting to scrunch the gel in too, which seems to work. I comb it with a wide tooth comb (have to otherwise my hair gets too clumpy and piecey), scrunch lightly again, and airdry.
I wash my hair every 3-4 days also, but usually Mondays and Thursdays.

I sometimes sleep with it in a braid but I'm really starting to dislike braid waves, so other times it's in a banded low ponytail or just down. I only detangle with a wide tooth comb and never a brush.

GetMeToWaist
July 28th, 2014, 02:42 PM
double post

Neecola
July 28th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Firefox, thank you for the recommendation. I look forward to reading it!

NatNat
July 29th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I'll be following this thread very closely. After I did a hairtyping thread, some ladies mentioned that I could possibly even be a 2c (not super curly but I'm still excited!!)

lapushka
July 29th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I'll be following this thread very closely. After I did a hairtyping thread, some ladies mentioned that I could possibly even be a 2c (not super curly but I'm still excited!!)

If you have a few ringlets in your hair somewhere, then it is 2c, otherwise it's 2b. :)

spirals
July 30th, 2014, 01:45 AM
I don't really style it; it defies styling. The most I do is comb after washing and let it airdry. Whatever I end up with is...whatever I end up with. I just go along for the ride. I only wear it curly on washday, though. The rest of the time if it is down, it's been brushed into waves.