PDA

View Full Version : "Wearing" coconut oil to the salon

angelfell
July 23rd, 2014, 12:27 AM
Hello all! Long time, no post :). I've been lurking, though, so there's that!

I currently have some coconut oil in my hair preparing to sleep on it. I plan to leave it in, perhaps apply a little more and then go to a hair appointment where I will be getting a cut and color.

The coconut oil in my hair won't prevent the stylist from cutting my hair properly, will it? I mean, it's not going to be SOAKING with coconut oil... but you know how it gets kind of stiff.. or maybe not stiff but just, the texture is off when there's oil in it?

I think I'm being silly but I just wanted to make sure. Also, here's to praying I don't get a "look" when I tell him/her I want the dye done with the coconut oil in my hair. So far, in my area, salon visits and discussions of my hair care (poo bar, acv, coconut oil) have gotten me borderline scolded :(.

YamaMaya
July 23rd, 2014, 12:42 AM
Regardless of how the stylist feels, they do have to do what you want. Dye does hold better in "dirty" oily hair from what I've heard, although that could be bull.

SkyChild
July 23rd, 2014, 01:00 AM
The coconut may gunk up the scissors a bit if you have too much in. But they can wash them in warm water anyway.
You should be able to dye over coconut oil and can certainly bleach with it.
BTW if your stylists "scolds" you for anything, tell them you'll be getting another stylist. This is why I gave up going to the hairdressers'!

rohirrrims
July 23rd, 2014, 01:11 AM
Will they be cutting before dying?
Usually from my exp they apply the dye to dry hair then after rinsing it out do the cutting on wet hair, dry it then finish trimming. If that's how it goes then no need to worry about it. The dye will be fine over the oil and removing it will remove the oil build up for cutting!

Ingrid
July 23rd, 2014, 01:20 AM
I've gone with a little oil on my hair to a hairdresser some time ago because I know they always insist on washing hair with S&C and then blow-drying it before cutting. My hair was already quite fragile at that point so I wanted to oil it in order to protect it from more damage. The hairdresser didn't "scold" me because I was with my mum but made faces to herself and said "it's oily" before washing it. I couldn't really care less what she thought but I'm glad I haven't been back. I also went with lightly oiled hair when I had my hair dyed for the last time in a different salon, and the hairdresser there didn't mind at all.

I think it really depends on the individual stylist. If you don't like their attitude, remember that you can always go to a different place.

gnome82
July 23rd, 2014, 01:36 AM
I had my hair oiled before turning up to the hairdresser to get my hair done for my wedding, she simply stated "I will not work with oil in the hair - wash it" ( to her work mate), any how at that point I could not just go to another stylist.

PorcelainHorror
July 23rd, 2014, 01:53 AM
I'm a hair stylist and I do not mind at all when a client wears coconut oil to get their color done. Heck, I do it when I do my own hair!

Firefox7275
July 23rd, 2014, 03:26 AM
It would be best to discuss your plans with your stylist before you have the colour and cut.

Johannah
July 23rd, 2014, 04:41 AM
I'd call your stylist and just ask. I'd definitely get a look if I would go to a hair stylist with coconut oil in my area, but it might be different in your area.

About the cutting: if you don't got a lot of coconut oil in your hair, I don't think it would be a problem. But if there's quite a bit in your hair... Think of it this way. If you got paper, and you put the scissors in it, you can cut a straight line. But if you put oil (or water for that matter) on the paper, what happens? This works for your hair the same way. But normally your stylist would dye your hair first, than cut, no?

Wildcat Diva
July 23rd, 2014, 06:14 AM
I'm a highly wavy, who doesn't detangle after hair is dry. My next trim will be like my last one... At the barber shop, and it will be on dry hair. I know she will want to comb it, which will be quite a feat, maybe damaging, as it's no easy task on my dry hair.

I plan to oil my hair fairly heavily so I can get my hair detangled before she tries to use the comb for the cut.

I asked her about my plan the last time I brought my son in for his haircut, as I was also concerned about the scissors with the oil. She said that would be fine, it wouldn't cause any problem whatsoever.

I really like her.

kganihanova
July 23rd, 2014, 07:01 AM
Coconut oil is a well known pre color treatment even among non-lhcers. If he/she has an issue with it, it's their problem and it would be best for you to find another stylist.

redredrobin
July 23rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
Does it depend on the dye? For example it's fine with bleach but not for temp/semi/demi?
When I had a demi permanent done recently, I was asked to come in with clean hair.

Kherome
July 23rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
I don't see it as being any kind of problem, BUT make sure you always inform your stylist that it's in there because some people are allergic to nut/tree oils.

angelfell
July 23rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
Thank you all SO much for the answers! I haven't had my hair colored professionally in so long that I couldn't remember whether or not they cut the hair first :). Last time I colored my own hair, I used the coconut oil method, and it worked so well I can't imagine why I would ever dye without it again!

I think I shall call the stylist as suggested and give them a heads up. As far as the attitudes about it, I live in a city where a lot of people have attitudes about a lot of things so I'm not surprised at all ;). I know many of you have wonderful stylists who are understanding and I am sure as soon as I find one here, I'll be moving :D

ErinLeigh
July 23rd, 2014, 09:44 AM
I wear coconut oil in my hair to the salon. They dye over it then wash it out and cut. I haven't had anyone cut with the oil though. I did feel weird the first time walking in all slicked up but there was no strange reaction. More curiosity.

I have done this at 2 separate salons and so far both stylists have been fine with it. One told me later although she had never heard of this prior ...within a month after she saw me she noticed about 30 percent of clients starting this. As coconut oil and its benefits are becoming more and more mainstream, stylists are becoming used to this.

I do think it is an excellent point about allergies though! I can't believe I did not think of that before. I will warning anyone new in future as that is a smart courtesy.

Aingeal
July 25th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I did it as well. In fact, the stylist who did my chop in May was shocked at how smooth my hair was and how easy the detangling process was considering how curly and damaged it was.

Marbid
July 25th, 2014, 08:55 PM
When i went ti the salon to bleach my bangs i went with my hair all oiled up from the night before.. The girl who attended me did not say anything about it... She also let me detangle my own hair... She was nice.