PDA

View Full Version : Shorter Hair For Longer Lasting Curls?

danniro
July 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I have recently recovered my curls after years of washing everyday with damaging shampoos and using silicones.
My hair is 2b, and about an inch past my bra strap on my back.
I have begun using a curl custard and diffusing to help bring out my curls but they go limp by the end of the day still.
Would cutting my hair make my curl last longer? Would my hair be less frizzy at all?
I do like having long hair though. And I hesitate to cut my hair too short because it's what my mom wants and plus her hair is shoulder length and I'm not trying to be her twin or something.
Should I cut my hair or would it not make much of a difference?
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/14698440236_799b4621cc_s.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ooRmco)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 22nd, 2014, 06:57 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in how my hair curls or how long the curl lasts at bsl versus when it was at shoulder length. It's hard to say whether it would make a difference for you or not though... Also, I can't see any reason cutting it shorter would make it any less frizzy. :confused:

Firefox7275
July 22nd, 2014, 07:48 PM
My hair is a similar length and doesn't wave/ curl any less now than at armpit length. What has made the most difference is the right ingredients products and techniques for my hair type (coarseness, porosity, elasticity), considering weather/ dew points/ humidity, getting the right amount of protein and conditioning agents.

You may need a harder hold product than a curling custard and perhaps to use more hydrolysed protein (beneficial for fine hair, damaged hair, volume/ body, curl boosting).

arr
July 22nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
Depending on the person, I've noticed that getting layers will sometimes bring out the curl without cutting much, if any, length. Not sure where you stand on layers, but it's worth a thought.

danniro
July 22nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
I use kinky curly curling custard which already makes my hair a bit crunchy, so I scrunch some.

My hair is a similar length and doesn't wave/ curl any less now than at armpit length. What has made the most difference is the right ingredients products and techniques for my hair type (coarseness, porosity, elasticity), considering weather/ dew points/ humidity, getting the right amount of protein and conditioning agents.

You may need a harder hold product than a curling custard and perhaps to use more hydrolysed protein (beneficial for fine hair, damaged hair, volume/ body, curl boosting).

danniro
July 22nd, 2014, 09:03 PM
Depending on the person, I've noticed that getting layers will sometimes bring out the curl without cutting much, if any, length. Not sure where you stand on layers, but it's worth a thought.
I do have layers, but I think they're "long layers" if those are different from normal layers.

Celtic_Willow
July 22nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
I used to have tailbone length curly hair with long layers, and am now only about nape length. In comparison, I've noticed that with my hair longer, I had like no volume and my curls weren't all that they could be, as they were more stretched out due to the weight. But with the shorter length and layers (shortest layer ~ cheekbone) I have crazy shrinkage going on when my hair curls up, and is bouncier with volume to boot. No difference in frizz, that depends on the products you use, not the cut necessarily. What are your hair properties? That might help us give you better answers. You probably wouldn't need to go crazy short, but maybe just a couple inches and add some layers? Haha I can completely sympathize with you and understand not wanting to match your mom, I've struggled with that myself! So if that'll bother you don't go as short as her.. sorry for the long response HTH :)

danniro
July 22nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
I used to have tailbone length curly hair with long layers, and am now only about nape length. In comparison, I've noticed that with my hair longer, I had like no volume and my curls weren't all that they could be, as they were more stretched out due to the weight. But with the shorter length and layers (shortest layer ~ cheekbone) I have crazy shrinkage going on when my hair curls up, and is bouncier with volume to boot. No difference in frizz, that depends on the products you use, not the cut necessarily. What are your hair properties? That might help us give you better answers. You probably wouldn't need to go crazy short, but maybe just a couple inches and add some layers? Haha I can completely sympathize with you and understand not wanting to match your mom, I've struggled with that myself! So if that'll bother you don't go as short as her.. sorry for the long response HTH :)

I believe the majority of my hair is a mixture of medium and fine. But the top layer is a bit more damaged and is more medium to coarse.
Low porosity roots, normal porosity mid, some porosity on the ends.
So far have had no results with protein.
Doesn't like coconut oil.
And I think normal elasticity.

Celtic_Willow
July 22nd, 2014, 09:48 PM
I'd try changing up your products first before committing to a cut you're not sure of yet! Give yourself the 2 week rule, if in 2 weeks you still want to cut it and different products/techniques aren't helping, then go for it! Have you tried using lighter oils that might not weight down fine hair as much as coconut oil tends to? Adding layers might be a good idea, cause that'll get rid of some of the damage on that top layer

danniro
July 22nd, 2014, 10:15 PM
I haven't been using oils for a couple weeks now because I find I either see no difference or they weigh my hair down.
I tried some natural oils like jojoba, argan, almond, olive, and coconut and then redken diamond oil.
Right now I just do kinky curly knot today on sopping hair, plop, then kinky curl curling custard, then diffuse.
Conditoner is shea moisture restorative.
Cowash with suave naturals coconut a few times a week and shampoo once.
But because I have bad dandruff I need to shampoo more :(
I was thinking of trying some devacurl products.

Firefox7275
July 23rd, 2014, 03:40 AM
I haven't been using oils for a couple weeks now because I find I either see no difference or they weigh my hair down.
I tried some natural oils like jojoba, argan, almond, olive, and coconut and then redken diamond oil.
Right now I just do kinky curly knot today on sopping hair, plop, then kinky curl curling custard, then diffuse.
Conditoner is shea moisture restorative.
Cowash with suave naturals coconut a few times a week and shampoo once.
But because I have bad dandruff I need to shampoo more :(
I was thinking of trying some devacurl products.

What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp condition? If you have seborrhoeic dermatitis on your scalp you should avoid oils and butters rich in oleic acid, stearic or palmitic acids touching the scalp: these feed the malassezia yeast and/ or further irritate the skin. This would include shea butter, olive, argan and sweet almond oils.

I don't see you emphasising the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants), which are your basic conditioning agents, good for detangling and for clumping. Shea butter is heavy and can easily build up. Knot Today is a lightweight detangler not a 'true' conditioner, and is neutral pH 7 - healthy hair is closer to acidic pH ~4.5 and healthy skin pH ~5.5.

Some of your oils are penetrating (olive, argan, sweet almond, coconut) so good for deep treatments; Redken is heavy on the silicones and jojoba is a wax - neither penetrate. Do not expect instant results, you are working on the inner cortex not the visible outer cuticle.

Have you tried hydrolysed protein and penetrating oils on the whole head or just the damaged/ overly porous sections? What protein rich leave in conditioner have you used?

Johannah
July 23rd, 2014, 05:19 AM
For some, shorter hair gives more curls, for others it doesn't. Just make sure this is really what you want before you cut it so you don't regret it. Maybe you could try to cut some heavier layers before the cut, so you could still have long hair.

XcaliburGirl
July 23rd, 2014, 05:23 AM
I actually tried cutting my hair to enhance the wave and in hopes it would be curly, but it didn't work. In fact, since my wave pattern starts lower on my head than a 3's would, my hair looked less wavy overall.

Personally, I get my best waves if I put my wet hair (but not dripping) in a cinnabun and let it dry for a few hours. Then I let it down, still quite damp, and it dries to some nice waves and loose spirals, without being frizzy on top.

PerkyCurlz
July 23rd, 2014, 08:29 AM
I didn't see much difference in my curls from shoulder to BSL, and there was no difference in the frizz. I didn't see much loss of curl definition until waist length, but I still have frizz. Layers helped bring out the curls. Using a strong-hold gel helped hold the curls all day. Adding too much moisture without adding protein causes my curls to go limp.