PDA

View Full Version : Every hair is split...

Sparklylady82
July 22nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
Hello all! I'm feeling very discouraged with my hair. I've been having good growth (my first month at LHC I gained 1 inch) but I'm experiencing severe split ends. I hot styled and bleached my hair for years before LHC so I understand I have a lot of damage that I'll need to grow out. I just feel like every time I S&D (I can spend hours) I have just as many splits and white spots including breakage (sometime 2 inches up shaft)a few days later. I am feeling like the splits will never be gone. What am I doing wrong? My fear is that I'll never gain growth that stays because of the splits so I trim them but they never seem to disappear. What have you done to deal with the process of growing out damaged hair? Products recommendations, cones or no cones, trimming schedule. I am currently sulfate and cone free but I'm willing to change that if I need to. I'd like my hair to get longer (not shorter!) WHILE growing out the damage....literally every hair I have is split even in my long bangs that are not that long. Thank you in advance for advice :-)

Maktub
July 22nd, 2014, 04:45 PM
probably not the advice you would like to read, but I would simply cut the damage off, and then grow from there without damaging the new hair. Best of luck ! :flower:

lapushka
July 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM
Hello all! I'm feeling very discouraged with my hair. I've been having good growth (my first month at LHC I gained 1 inch) but I'm experiencing severe split ends. I hot styled and bleached my hair for years before LHC so I understand I have a lot of damage that I'll need to grow out. I just feel like every time I S&D (I can spend hours) I have just as many splits and white spots including breakage (sometime 2 inches up shaft)a few days later. I am feeling like the splits will never be gone. What am I doing wrong? My fear is that I'll never gain growth that stays because of the splits so I trim them but they never seem to disappear. What have you done to deal with the process of growing out damaged hair? Products recommendations, cones or no cones, trimming schedule. I am currently sulfate and cone free but I'm willing to change that if I need to. I'd like my hair to get longer (not shorter!) WHILE growing out the damage....literally every hair I have is split even in my long bangs that are not that long. Thank you in advance for advice :-)

You're not doing anything wrong, but damage is damage and the damage is done! It has to come out somehow, whether that is with S&D or with frequent trims is up to you. If you have to S&D half your hair, then it's better to (micro)trim as you will be thinning out your hair *considerably*, and that's just as bad, IMMHO.

panffle
July 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
First, make sure your scissors are very sharp! Also I would recommend keeping tangling to a minimum, by wearing it up in a protective style most of the time. I know it sounds boring, but you'll get used to it...
My hair was very damaged too, I had to trim it monthly for my first year on LHC. But after most of the worst damaged parts were gone, it got much easier. I still have a lot of dyed hair to grow out, but it's nowhere as 'splitty' as it was before.
If you don't have the patience, I suggest just cutting most of it off at once.

blue_eyes
July 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
I've been trying to grow out dye damage for a year now, and I've been doing S&D along the way, but I totally agree with lapushka. S&Ding really thinned out my ends & make them look really ragged because nearly every hair is at a different length, haha.

If you have a lot of split ends then it's probably best to just cut off as much as you can, or mircotrim. I did a microtrim recently and it made a big difference. I've decided to do a microtrim every 4-5 months, so you're still gaining length, but getting rid of the damage at the same time. Hang in there! :)

Firefox7275
July 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
Are your scissors sharp enough for the task? Duyll scissors can cause splits and breaks by crushing the end of the hair.

I just accepted I wasn't going to gain length and that my hair might continue to look rubbish for a year or more. Some hair was simply not in salvageable condition. A bit like the advice to new mothers: weight (damage) nine months on, nine months off.

Then I researched ingredients and worked out what I should and should not be using. My regime is not just sulphate free but anionic surfactant free (actually co-wash), mostly silicone free (only use amodimethicone occasionally) and my hair is healthier and more resilient for it. I use a fair bit of penetrating oils, hydrolysed protein, panthenol, some ceramides, leave in conditioner rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants), very wide tooth comb or fingers ONLY no brushing, dry shampoo.

queenovnight
July 22nd, 2014, 05:20 PM
In my opinion, S&D is ideal for those who are not dealing with chemically damaged hair. If I were you, I would micro-trim and maintain until the damage is gone - That's what I did. That's also not quite as painful as going in for a full on cut.

Sparklylady82
July 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Are your scissors sharp enough for the task? Duyll scissors can cause splits and breaks by crushing the end of the hair.

I just accepted I wasn't going to gain length and that my hair might continue to look rubbish for a year or more. Some hair was simply not in salvageable condition. A bit like the advice to new mothers: weight (damage) nine months on, nine months off.

Then I researched ingredients and worked out what I should and should not be using. My regime is not just sulphate free but anionic surfactant free (actually co-wash), mostly silicone free (only use amodimethicone occasionally) and my hair is healthier and more resilient for it. I use a fair bit of penetrating oils, hydrolysed protein, panthenol, some ceramides, leave in conditioner rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants), very wide tooth comb or fingers ONLY no brushing, dry shampoo.

My scissors are new from the grocery store (conair brand)...is that good enough? I've never heard of anionic surfactant free. Did you mean you DO or DO NOT co-wash? Where do you get all of the penetrating oils from? Sorry newbie.

Sparklylady82
July 22nd, 2014, 05:40 PM
In my opinion, S&D is ideal for those who are not dealing with chemically damaged hair. If I were you, I would micro-trim and maintain until the damage is gone - That's what I did. That's also not quite as painful as going in for a full on cut.

I think you are right. I am going to have to change my sig photo (regretfully so) to microtrimming damage off. I have a lot of layers and the outer layers are the most damaged. I also noticed that even when I cut a dot or split sometimes a new split forms right away...Maybe my scissors are NOT sharp enough as well.

queenovnight
July 22nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Well, how old are the scissors? I use Conair scissors, but I replace them every year. Imo, they aren't bad at all ^_^

But I did have the same exact issue when I attempted to S&D chemically damaged hair, so I honestly think it's the damage and not the scissors.

Sparklylady82
July 22nd, 2014, 05:55 PM
Well, how old are the scissors? I use Conair scissors, but I replace them every year. Imo, they aren't bad at all ^_^

But I did have the same exact issue when I attempted to S&D chemically damaged hair, so I honestly think it's the damage and not the scissors.

Not old...thank you dearly for your comments :blossom:

Sparklylady82
July 22nd, 2014, 05:56 PM

Not old...thank you dearly for your comments :blossom:

Sparklylady82
July 22nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
I've been trying to grow out dye damage for a year now, and I've been doing S&D along the way, but I totally agree with lapushka. S&Ding really thinned out my ends & make them look really ragged because nearly every hair is at a different length, haha.

If you have a lot of split ends then it's probably best to just cut off as much as you can, or mircotrim. I did a microtrim recently and it made a big difference. I've decided to do a microtrim every 4-5 months, so you're still gaining length, but getting rid of the damage at the same time. Hang in there! :)

Thats a good plan! Thank you :-)

LauraLongLocks
July 22nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
Personally, I like cones, so I would use a coney sealant to help hide as many and hold together as many of those splits as possible. I would also use coconut oil quite liberally.

If you don't want to get your hair considerably shorter all at once to cut all the splits off, then maintain your current length as long as it takes to grow out the damage. Trim every month until you are able to grow without so many splits, then slow your trim schedule to every two months and spread it out longer if you can. If you can handle cutting it all at once then do it and get it over with.

ravenreed
July 22nd, 2014, 06:03 PM
My first few years at LHC I did constant microtrims. Every 4 - 6 weeks with a lot of S&D in between. It took a little longer but my hair looked so much better along the way.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
Personally, I like cones, so I would use a coney sealant to help hide as many and hold together as many of those splits as possible. I would also use coconut oil quite liberally.

If you don't want to get your hair considerably shorter all at once to cut all the splits off, then maintain your current length as long as it takes to grow out the damage. Trim every month until you are able to grow without so many splits, then slow your trim schedule to every two months and spread it out longer if you can. If you can handle cutting it all at once then do it and get it over with.

Great advice.

There really is no hurry. White dots won't break as fast as you might think. I had heat damage and perm damage when I got my perm years ago. My hair was shoulder length and riddled with white dots. Nevertheless I grew out to hip+ with it before we started S&D on it. It was so damaged however, my hair got severely thinned out and it had to be cut back to BSL. But all the while growing from shoulder to hip+, I had those white dots and it didn't bother me any. So I second Laura's advice about silicones and plenty of moisture.

spidermom
July 22nd, 2014, 06:13 PM
My early years at LHC, I had a similar problem from using curling and flat irons. I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed, and it always seemed that half my hairs were split. Very honestly, it wasn't until I'd been a member long enough to cut off all the hair I had on my head before I joined LHC that I started to see a major difference in condition.

Maid M
July 22nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
I am going through the exact same thing now. Layered hair nearly APL with the top layer being the worst from highlighting and daily use of an iron! It has been about 7 months since I have used heat (only once in that time), and I have been doing regular microtrims. I am only now starting to really see an improvement and I have still managed to gain some length in that time.
I do weekly deep conditioning treatments, pre shampoo oiling, am sulphate free and have a mixture of cone and cone free products but I find cones do help the look of my hair. Also, I did do one decent chop before I gave up the heat - only about an 1-1 1/2 inch but it made a big difference. I very rarely s & d now and find the microtrimming is enough to keep my hair in good shape.
Keep at it, you will see improvement with time although I know how frustrating it can be! Good luck :)

Firefox7275
July 22nd, 2014, 07:41 PM
My scissors are new from the grocery store (conair brand)...is that good enough? I've never heard of anionic surfactant free. Did you mean you DO or DO NOT co-wash? Where do you get all of the penetrating oils from? Sorry newbie.

I do co-wash, it made a difference in my porous wavy hair (and sensitive skin) surprisingly quickly. Sulphates are only one group of anionic surfactants, the olefin sulfonates are arguably just as harsh on skin and hair.

I purchase coconut and sweet almond oils from the grocery store, budget Asian brands from the World Foods aisle. It's the fatty acids that are the penetrating molecules, and they are the same across basic or pricey brands. Hair is dead so it has little use for most vitamins or antioxidants in organic or unrefined products.

You will get there, longer healthier hair is a journey more than a destination!

Sparklylady82
July 23rd, 2014, 01:38 AM
I just want to thank you all for responding!!! I feel better even though this journey will be long.

rohirrrims
July 23rd, 2014, 02:01 AM
I would say rethink cones!
I have incredibly damaged hair, you would shudder at the amount of bleachings my length has been through lol. So of course I have many splits. I tried going cone free but honestly it wasn't worth the hassle. Cones help give my hair slip so the split ends don't snag and cause tangles. Plus they keep everything looking smooth and 100% better. I just clarify once a week to prevent build up.
Definitely get using some coconut oil for overnight or prewash treatments. I like to keep my hair oiled and braided as often as I can because that really prevents tangles and breakage. Henna has been a lifesaver but don't do that unless you like having red hair!

I have pretty much given up on snipping split ends because it's just too much... a micro trim is much easier. Against what most people would do I'm actually continuing to grow my very damaged hair and just microtrimming as I go, but not maintaining in order to grow out the damage because that would take years. Eventually I'll get there, but I'm ok just intensively caring for damaged hair right now!

Federica
July 23rd, 2014, 03:13 AM
I've been in your same situation: overprocessed hair that breaks all over its lenght and damage that eats up all the growth (maybe even more, because my hair has gotten shorter due to the severe damage).
As many people told you, chopping off the whole damage is the most shocking but most effective way to get rid of it and grow back healthy hair.
Thi was not an option to me, so I followed the second path: trim and trim and trim and microtrim and trim again until all the damage is gone.
That took me years, but now that the process is almost over (just a couple of inches of damage in a hip lenght hair) I can actually say it worked.
But it has been hard, because the progress is slow both in getting rid of the damage and growing the lenght, and it could be very frustrating especially the first year.
I suggest you to treat your damaged parts with cones until you grow it out, bleached hair lack in moisture and cones helps to keep it.
I would also keep it up all the time and handle it as less as I can, in order to reduce mechanical damage.

Johannah
July 23rd, 2014, 04:11 AM
Quality above quantity. I'd start micro trimming as well and maintain at this length. It isn't as bad as it looks. You'll notice how much your hair benefits from trimming! Your journey might be long, but it'll be worth it.

One thing that helped me years ago with bleach/heat damage (and which my hair still loves): hydrolyzed protein. When you use a lot of bleach and heat, the cuticles of your hair will lift and your hair becomes more porous. Hydrolyzed keratin has the best size to temporary patch your hair. Here are two articles: 1 (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html) & 2 (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/protein-conditioners-for-hair-part-2-of_03.html).

In my personal experience, using hydrolyzed protein on a regular basis works best (in shampoo, conditioner, styling products). You could try a 'hard' protein treatment as well, but I don't have experience with that. I'm not sure here you live, but if you search down the internet you can find some brands. But I'd start of with soft protein treatments to make sure your hair likes it!

Sparklylady82
July 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM
I would say rethink cones!
I have incredibly damaged hair, you would shudder at the amount of bleachings my length has been through lol. So of course I have many splits. I tried going cone free but honestly it wasn't worth the hassle. Cones help give my hair slip so the split ends don't snag and cause tangles. Plus they keep everything looking smooth and 100% better. I just clarify once a week to prevent build up.
Definitely get using some coconut oil for overnight or prewash treatments. I like to keep my hair oiled and braided as often as I can because that really prevents tangles and breakage. Henna has been a lifesaver but don't do that unless you like having red hair!

I have pretty much given up on snipping split ends because it's just too much... a micro trim is much easier. Against what most people would do I'm actually continuing to grow my very damaged hair and just microtrimming as I go, but not maintaining in order to grow out the damage because that would take years. Eventually I'll get there, but I'm ok just intensively caring for damaged hair right now!

Thank you for this! I REALLY don't want to let go of growing my hair longer in this process so a big chop is not something I want to do! I actually did cut off a big chunck right befor I found LCH (from MBL to CB!) and now I am back at almost BSL. I think I'll just microtrim so I am still gaining half my length and incorperate cones and protein treatments to deal with the damage. So comforting to hear from you all!

Sparklylady82
July 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
Quality above quantity. I'd start micro trimming as well and maintain at this length. It isn't as bad as it looks. You'll notice how much your hair benefits from trimming! Your journey might be long, but it'll be worth it.

One thing that helped me years ago with bleach/heat damage (and which my hair still loves): hydrolyzed protein. When you use a lot of bleach and heat, the cuticles of your hair will lift and your hair becomes more porous. Hydrolyzed keratin has the best size to temporary patch your hair. Here are two articles: 1 (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html) & 2 (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/protein-conditioners-for-hair-part-2-of_03.html).

In my personal experience, using hydrolyzed protein on a regular basis works best (in shampoo, conditioner, styling products). You could try a 'hard' protein treatment as well, but I don't have experience with that. I'm not sure here you live, but if you search down the internet you can find some brands. But I'd start of with soft protein treatments to make sure your hair likes it!
Great advice! I am going to get the aphogee treatment today....I've seen it at Sally's before!

SleepyTangles
July 23rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
My bleached portion of hair, even if covered under the henna, was and still is always more frail and prone to splits. Oils really helped, but without trims it would never have made to waist (or even BSL) with a healthy look :(

Sparklylady82
July 23rd, 2014, 01:29 PM

Thankyou Laura, will oils pass through the cones?

Nightshade
July 23rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
There's also an article on rehabilitating damaged hair in my siggy that might be worth a read :) It covers a lot of what people here are mentioning.

LauraLongLocks
July 23rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
Thankyou Laura, will oils pass through the cones?

I have not had trouble with getting my coconut oil through my cones. I mainly use dimethicone and amodimethicone.

ETA: I wash with a sulphate shampoo once a week, CWC style. This is probably preventing build-up for me. I CO-wash 2-3 times a week.

Sparklylady82
July 23rd, 2014, 05:05 PM
There's also an article on rehabilitating damaged hair in my siggy that might be worth a read :) It covers a lot of what people here are mentioning.

WOW! This helps a lot! I will take some time to read this :-)

Sparklylady82
July 23rd, 2014, 05:06 PM
I have not had trouble with getting my coconut oil through my cones. I mainly use dimethicone and amodimethicone.

ETA: I wash with a sulphate shampoo once a week, CWC style. This is probably preventing build-up for me. I CO-wash 2-3 times a week.

This makes sense! I think I will try this out along with the CO-washing :-) I did CO-wash once and I liked it fine. I think I saw one of your videos about it!

Akville
July 25th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Wow,
this has been so helpful ... really!!!
I'm doing S&D for a year now and it seems never end... It helped a lot to read this info...

Thank you all..

Sparklylady82
July 25th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Wow,
this has been so helpful ... really!!!
I'm doing S&D for a year now and it seems never end... It helped a lot to read this info...

Thank you all..

I am glad it helped you as it did me! I did a 2 step protein treatment by Aphogee and followed it up with their moisture conditioner and it helped seal the splits better. I am really happy with the results!

Akville
July 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I am glad it helped you as it did me! I did a 2 step protein treatment by Aphogee and followed it up with their moisture conditioner and it helped seal the splits better. I am really happy with the results!

I have protein treatment at home but I was little afraid to use it because my hair getting very course afterwords..

Taisyun
July 31st, 2014, 03:38 AM
well i had a lot of damage. i had 10 years worth of dying blow drying and straightening. then i quit it all and went natural for a year. but had the same problem as you. so i went from armpit length to a pixie, hoping i could start again. the hair i had left was all 100% virgin and un heated. but to be honest i still had the same problem. 100's of white dots and splits. except this time it was SO hard to trim because of pixie short hair. had to use a mirror and my bf did the back. i still have the same problem now (4 years later). ive done 2 major trims, and i take really good care of my hair, but still my s&d efforts are gone the next week the bad ends are back. my advice would be to keep s&d and not do a major chop as i only regret it. since the mega chop for me resulted in no upgrade of hair quality but instead lost 4 years worth of length and had to have annoying grow out stages.

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2014, 04:26 AM
I have protein treatment at home but I was little afraid to use it because my hair getting very course afterwords..

Strong protein treatments may not be suited to coarser hair, you might try a weaker hydrolysed protein wash out/ leave in conditioner on the damaged ends only.

Sparklylady82
July 31st, 2014, 08:40 AM
well i had a lot of damage. i had 10 years worth of dying blow drying and straightening. then i quit it all and went natural for a year. but had the same problem as you. so i went from armpit length to a pixie, hoping i could start again. the hair i had left was all 100% virgin and un heated. but to be honest i still had the same problem. 100's of white dots and splits. except this time it was SO hard to trim because of pixie short hair. had to use a mirror and my bf did the back. i still have the same problem now (4 years later). ive done 2 major trims, and i take really good care of my hair, but still my s&d efforts are gone the next week the bad ends are back. my advice would be to keep s&d and not do a major chop as i only regret it. since the mega chop for me resulted in no upgrade of hair quality but instead lost 4 years worth of length and had to have annoying grow out stages.

Oh man, I think some of us are just more prone to splits than others. Thank you for sharing, I will just keep microtrimming the damage. I've been trying to just ignore it a bit.

itdontmatter48
July 31st, 2014, 09:09 AM
I would 'blunt cut' the ends once a month, it makes an incredible difference right away. I would also reserve a brand new pair of scissors for hair only.

itdontmatter48
July 31st, 2014, 09:12 AM
1 more thing, hair is mostly protein, so you need a protein rich diet. I eat high quality protein at every meal and with tbl I cannot find a split.

Gertrude
July 31st, 2014, 10:14 AM
For me keeping the ends blunt does help with reducing the splitting tendency. Most of my hair is now not split at all, with micro trims to keep the ends one length. The front section which is much lighter blond and even finer gets splits which I S&D. Cutting those hairs short never results in an improvement, they just split at any length, no matter how short. If I let my hair grow without trimming, no matter how well I look after it, once unevenness sets in so does the splitting.

Layers were just the undoing of my hair. Actually layering fine hair makes it look a lot thinner. And yes, it just hangs there. Whether bob length, layered or long. My hair can't perform any other tricks. It hangs. Yet many a hairdresser learns in beauty school that fine hair needs layers......

Caraid♫
July 31st, 2014, 10:35 AM
I used to curl my hair every single day with an iron, so had pretty awful splitty ends. I think S-D ing is good for keeping on top of splits, but it's also necessary to do small trims at the same time to keep it even and to keep your ends from thining out. You already got great advice (coconut oil really makes a night and day difference for me!) One thing I don't think was mentioned that helps for me are vinegar rinses. I have no clue what the science would be behind it, but when I do diluted vinegar rinses at the end of my shower, I tend to get less splits (and super shiny hair) it's very noticeable for me when something makes a difference because I have very split-prone hair. So could be worth a shot!
Good luck in your growing out of damage- it's a slow but very worthwhile process! :D

Akville
August 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I've seen many youtube videos and many girls there have long beautiful hair.. and when you check out their hair routine its awful!!!
they curl, flatiron, wash their head everyday, dye and do all kind of awful stuff to their hair.. and still it looks amazing ...
How are they doing it???

how do they pull of all the damage and have great beautiful long hair?

Sparklylady82
August 2nd, 2014, 08:44 AM
I used to curl my hair every single day with an iron, so had pretty awful splitty ends. I think S-D ing is good for keeping on top of splits, but it's also necessary to do small trims at the same time to keep it even and to keep your ends from thining out. You already got great advice (coconut oil really makes a night and day difference for me!) One thing I don't think was mentioned that helps for me are vinegar rinses. I have no clue what the science would be behind it, but when I do diluted vinegar rinses at the end of my shower, I tend to get less splits (and super shiny hair) it's very noticeable for me when something makes a difference because I have very split-prone hair. So could be worth a shot!
Good luck in your growing out of damage- it's a slow but very worthwhile process! :D
Thankyou, that is something I haven't tried yet!

Caraid♫
August 2nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
you're welcome Sparklylady!

I've seen many youtube videos and many girls there have long beautiful hair.. and when you check out their hair routine its awful!!!
they curl, flatiron, wash their head everyday, dye and do all kind of awful stuff to their hair.. and still it looks amazing ...
How are they doing it???

Youtube movie magic! just kidding that's a good question.... I think heat damage is a cycle, you can keep it looking decent as long as you continue to heat style it more to cover it up which of course damages further. But whenever you leave it to air dry naturally, it looks just awful (that's how my hair was at least when I would heat style) Or who knows maybe they are just lucky ducks who have damage resistant hair that'll take the abuse!

Nimia
August 2nd, 2014, 11:08 AM

That's a cautionary tale about cutting to get rid of damage, if I ever heard one! I've got the same issue as others here, with splits reappearing a week after a thorough S&D. I'm going to set down the scissors now and just let it go, and see what happens.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
How are they doing it???

Simple. From a distance you can't notice damage. But it will be there! I had a perm and heat damage (my hair was riddled with white dots) and still I grew my hair out from shoulder all the way to hip without losing too much hair - no S&D either. Your hair will look the same from a distance, but when examined closely, then you'll notice the damage. At hip, we started the S&D process (and boy it was a process), and my hair got so thinned out from it, that it had to be cut back all the way to BSL. At some point the damage will catch up with you.

Akville
August 13th, 2014, 06:08 AM
yeah that true... damage will catch up :)

Akville
August 13th, 2014, 06:10 AM
you're welcome Sparklylady!

Youtube movie magic! just kidding that's a good question.... I think heat damage is a cycle, you can keep it looking decent as long as you continue to heat style it more to cover it up which of course damages further. But whenever you leave it to air dry naturally, it looks just awful (that's how my hair was at least when I would heat style) Or who knows maybe they are just lucky ducks who have damage resistant hair that'll take the abuse!

that's also true :)