PDA

View Full Version : What is your cone-free HG?

Barnet Girl
July 22nd, 2014, 06:54 AM
I have recently gone back to being blonde after growing out henna for what seemed like an eternity. YAY!! It feels so much more "me", but of course my conditioning needs are now more substantial. I used to LOVE Biolage Matrix conditioning balm, but the formula appears to have changed and I have not heard good things about the new Hydratherapie formula. Why do these companies mess with formulas that are so well loved to replace them with a lesser version?? Anyway, I digress. I have fine hair that doesn't like to be weighed down, but now that I have lightened I need some nourishment! Cone free of course! Please let me know what your cone-free HG is! :confused:

zurda
July 22nd, 2014, 07:14 AM
I don't know where you are located, but if you're in the US (and possibly other countries?), Sally's has a knock-off of the Conditioning Balm called GVP Conditioning Balm. Might be worth a try since you like the old Matrix formula. It is very popular in the wavy/curly community.

Firefox7275
July 22nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
Fine hair and colour treated hair tends to do well with hydrolysed protein. Be careful with cetyl esters which are waxy and can build up. My hair gets on with Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine (old formula, from pound shops), some of the L'Oreal Elvive/ Advanced Haircare conditioners (some contain amodimethicone which resists building up).

There are more protein rich/ silicone free conditioners listed on the Sciencey Hairblog, including US only products.
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/product-list-by-category.html
You may find this list useful too
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120288

Applegirl84
July 22nd, 2014, 08:25 AM
I love Giovanni 50/50 hydrating calming conditioner ... it's the only conditioner I keep going back to over and over again. And I buy the biggest bottle I can find. My hair stats are very similar to yours (except not as thick)

sarahthegemini
July 22nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
I too really like Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume as my leave in conditioner (I don't use a rinse out)

kganihanova
July 22nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
GVP Conditioning Balm

ExpectoPatronum
July 22nd, 2014, 10:09 AM
I really love Tresemme Naturals conditioner, but it's getting harder to find in my area :(

ErinLeigh
July 22nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Redken extreme builder plus
Brigeo don't despair hair care
GVP conditioning Balm
Renpure love my body and shine
I guess those are my favorite

For leave in its hand down Alba leave in conditioner.

Then just standard oils like coconut and avocado and some Panacea

AmyBeth
July 22nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
Due to a recent reccomendation by a member here, I tried Kinky Curly Knot Today and it's my new HG. My hair is neither kinky nor curly, but very fine and tangle prone and Knot Today provides greater slip than any coney condish I've ever tried. One of these days I'm going to try the Panacea.

sourgrl
July 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
Dermorganic deep treatment masque. I actually use this as a rinse out and use a smidge as a leave in. Love it.

Barnet Girl
July 23rd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Wow thanks guys!! Some great suggestions that'll keep me going for a while! I'm in the UK but can get hold of most of these. Thanks Firefox for the info on cetyl esters and amodimethicone - I didn't know there were "good cones"!

Johannah
July 23rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Petal Fresh Tea Tree conditioner. I use it for SMT. It's amazing!

ErinLeigh
July 23rd, 2014, 10:38 AM
If you are up for "good cones" Paul Mitchell Conditioners use water soluble ones that rinse out with water or cowashing.
Their tea tree conditioner is fantastic. Sally's carries the knock off.

arr
July 25th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I wanted to add that I've been recently using the Giovanni Avocado and Olive Oil Ultra Moist Conditioner. It is cone free and very moisturizing. I didn't think i could like any conditioner as much as the GVP Conditioning Balm but this is definitely up there.

TurtleWexler
July 26th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Due to a recent reccomendation by a member here, I tried Kinky Curly Knot Today and it's my new HG. My hair is neither kinky nor curly, but very fine and tangle prone and Knot Today provides greater slip than any coney condish I've ever tried. One of these days I'm going to try the Panacea.

YES. I love this stuff. I hope they never change the formula.

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Wow thanks guys!! Some great suggestions that'll keep me going for a while! I'm in the UK but can get hold of most of these. Thanks Firefox for the info on cetyl esters and amodimethicone - I didn't know there were "good cones"!

There is a series of seven (!) articles on silicones on Naturally Curly by 'Curl Chemist' Tonya McKay that are well worth trawling through.