PDA

View Full Version : Wavies who brush/comb!

Annibelle
July 20th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I know that for wavies who follow CG, combing and brushing are not options. I know lots of LHC wavies follow CG, but I'm sure there must be other wavies who brush and comb... so I'm curious to see your pretty hair! :flower:

I followed CG for maybe 8 months. I loved the results-- well-defined, shiny waves from root to tip-- but eventually it was just too much of a hassle for my tastes. CO washing was fine-- no hassle for me at all-- just letting the conditioner set on my head for two minutes was enough for me to get my hair clean-- but it was the scrunching with gel and diffusing that drove me nuts. (Or worse, going without diffusing... in which case my hair would take about 8 hours to dry fully!) I'm super low-maintenance, so that wasn't working out for me.

Now, I wash with shampoo and then condition. I comb my hair as I get out of the shower, let my hair air dry (and comb it a few times as it dries to control the frizz), and in a few hours, I have full, bouncy, wavy hair that can be combed throughout the day, if desired. My waves aren't defined, and my hair doesn't spiral (except at the ends, and that's not even every wash), but it looks just as good as it did when I followed CG... just in a different way. And I can sleep on it after it dries without it looking like crazy spaghetti in the morning. :lol:

So I'm wondering if any other wavies enjoy the combing/brushing that has been banished from the lives of so many LHCers! :) Pics are welcome! (I may post some of my own if anyone else joins in.)

Oh, and of course curlies are welcome, too, but I think combing may be less common the curlier your hair. IDK. Feel free to prove me wrong!!! :flower:

kganihanova
July 20th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I'm in the 2s and I use a tangle teezer (dry) and a wide tooth comb (shower).

Wildcat Diva
July 20th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I sometimes try to use the tangle teezer. It really takes me a while to detangle dry. It's pretty horrifying. Ask RavenHeather here. I often text her about how at that moment I'm stuck in detangling hell, and then she texts me back to Just. Stop.

Inconella
July 20th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I'm still figuring it out. My hair did fine without brushing until waist. Now i feel like it looks messy. The brushes I have leave me frizzy. I think I'm going to buy a vent brush. They worked very well on permed and curling ironed hair in the 80's. :rolleyes:

battles
July 20th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I currently brush and comb. I don't like how it looks, I'm just having a hard time stopping.

I'm doing a ton of research to figure out what would be best for my hair and then I'm going to try CG. I also sent my hair off for a hair analysis (eee excited) so I can find out what I should be using and whether I'm low porosity or not.

..Sorry, this probably wasn't what you wanted. :(

woodswanderer
July 20th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I brush. I try to do less brushing while my hair is wet and more finger combing, but I brush my hair every day. I still have waves. Im not sure what my hair would look like if I didn't brush, and I'm too afraid of tangles to find out. The pic in my signature is exactly what my hair looks like after brushing.

Nadine <3
July 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I comb and brush! Brush of dry hair, comb on wet. I felt like curly girl was nice and I got nice waves that way but they weren't spectacular and I could never get them to stick around until the next day. I felt like it was a lot of work for some waves I didn't really care about and could only wear for a day...I also prefer to wash at night so now I only get to wear them for a few hours and then bed! Now I shampoo, condition and use the LOC method for leave ins. I keep them in the shower and apply then there because I'm lazy. I wrap it in a tv shirt, get dressed and whatnot then I take it down and comb it, let it dry, and braid for bed. This methods is easier for me and I don't get poofy hair either. If I comb it wet it just dries straight. Sometimes I get little waves on the ends but not always. As long as it's healthy and it keeps growing I don't care.

sumidha
July 20th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I'm a wavy/wurly who brushes and combs. I love the look I get from a CG type routine, but not enough to wash my hair every two days just to be able to detangle before, or while my hair's wet, to keep the curls intact.

In practice, that means I brush thoroughly with a tangle teezer before I get my hair wet, cleanse my scalp, put in tons of conditioner and carefully wide tooth comb, or finger comb. I let my hair dry naturally once I'm out of the shower, and rock almost-curls that I can't touch for a day or two. Then I get sick of shed hairs and tangles, and comb out with a wide tooth comb, or tangle teezer if it's really bad, which turns my wurls into stretched out waves. Sometimes it gets poofy after brushing or combing, but putting it into a bun will compress it into waves again. I wash my hair once a week, so most of the time I have loose waves rather than wurls, but it works. :shrug:

KittyBird
July 20th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I always brush with my TT, because my hair would be a mess of tangles and matting if I didn't. I don't wear it down much anyway, so I see no point in avoiding the brush. I always let my hair air-dry before I brush, and then I bun it afterwards. It makes it nice and smooth. My siggy pic shows brushed out waves. :)

Madora
July 20th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I've been brushing and combing my slightly wavy hair for decades, with great results. I don't usually wear it down. This is a picture from the late 1980s:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/1988lrg.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/1988lrg.jpg.html)

I believe in daily brushing with a pure bbb! This is a current length shot: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/7914Lengthshotbestultra-1.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/7914Lengthshotbestultra-1.jpg.html)

spidermom
July 20th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Combing while drying causes massive frizz on the surface of my hair. Usually I don't comb or brush hair until it's dry and I'm ready to put it up or braid it.

I also brush before washing.

LadyCelestina
July 21st, 2014, 01:54 AM
For me it's either wash really often like every other day or so or finger detangle and comb and brush a bit in between while dry.I switch from washing frequently and not detangling to washing less often and detangling according to how busy /lazy I am and what I've been doing with my hair.

Sparklylady82
July 21st, 2014, 02:06 AM
I know that for wavies who follow CG, combing and brushing are not options. I know lots of LHC wavies follow CG, but I'm sure there must be other wavies who brush and comb... so I'm curious to see your pretty hair! :flower:

I followed CG for maybe 8 months. I loved the results-- well-defined, shiny waves from root to tip-- but eventually it was just too much of a hassle for my tastes. CO washing was fine-- no hassle for me at all-- just letting the conditioner set on my head for two minutes was enough for me to get my hair clean-- but it was the scrunching with gel and diffusing that drove me nuts. (Or worse, going without diffusing... in which case my hair would take about 8 hours to dry fully!) I'm super low-maintenance, so that wasn't working out for me.

Now, I wash with shampoo and then condition. I comb my hair as I get out of the shower, let my hair air dry (and comb it a few times as it dries to control the frizz), and in a few hours, I have full, bouncy, wavy hair that can be combed throughout the day, if desired. My waves aren't defined, and my hair doesn't spiral (except at the ends, and that's not even every wash), but it looks just as good as it did when I followed CG... just in a different way. And I can sleep on it after it dries without it looking like crazy spaghetti in the morning. :lol:

So I'm wondering if any other wavies enjoy the combing/brushing that has been banished from the lives of so many LHCers! :) Pics are welcome! (I may post some of my own if anyone else joins in.)

Oh, and of course curlies are welcome, too, but I think combing may be less common the curlier your hair. IDK. Feel free to prove me wrong!!! :flower:

THIS! haha! I've been finger detangling and combing my waves. I haven't been wearing my hair down so it doesn't really matter. I can't stand my hair the next day using the CG method.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 21st, 2014, 02:08 AM
I use wide toothed combs always, and for an extra silky effect I use a BBB. My siggy pic shows what it looks like combed, then brushed for a length shot.

SleepyTangles
July 21st, 2014, 02:18 AM
2a/2b here :). Now I detangle with a Tangle Teezer both on dry hair and wet (I know I shouldn't pull wet hair, but brushing squeaky-clean dry hair turns my head into a ball of frizz!).
Before buying the TT i used a wooden, wide toothed comb and my fingers, and these never actually made my waves go frizzy, if used with moderation.

pixldust
July 21st, 2014, 03:10 AM
I finger comb then use a Tangle Teezer on dry hair, finger combing alone doesn't get all the tangles out. I wear my hair up every day so combing /brushing is kind of necessary to make my hair smooth enough to go in an updo and it seems pointless to go to the effort of making pretty waves if they're not going to be seen.

Federica
July 21st, 2014, 03:24 AM
I always brushed my hair with good results, I detangle with my fingers and gently brush it with a BBB starting from the bottom.
After a couple of broken combs trapped in my hair when I was a little girl, I decided that combs aren't for me and I use one only to smooth the ends before trimming.

synchrostatic
July 21st, 2014, 03:27 AM
I only brush/comb when I know I'm putting it up and leaving it up for awhile. Because when I do, my hair becomes a mess of tangles that just don't happen when I wear it CG curly. I used to brush every day, but since growing it longer I'm finding that it's harder because of the frizz factor.

FoxyGhost
July 21st, 2014, 03:51 AM
I brush with a Mason Pearson when my hair is mostly dry. Then I cinnabun it loosely or braid to make my waves either loose or tight. My hair does get puffy right after brushing but once I compress it it gets smooth again. My profile pic shows my brushed waves.

HaMalka
July 21st, 2014, 04:52 AM
I comb my hair daily with a wide toothed comb. I brush my hair every so often but brushing gives me a whole lot of flyaways that I don't like. I comb my hair when I condition it and when it is drying to help it dry.

lapushka
July 21st, 2014, 05:48 AM
Brushing and combing over here, of *course*, but only right before a wash, so when it doesn't interfere with my wave pattern. You have to do everything in reverse it seems when you're a wavy/curly. ;) :lol:

two_wheels
July 21st, 2014, 05:53 AM
I either fingercomb or use a wide tooth comb in the morning. If it's being naughty (i.e. escapey bits) I use a BBB at night and by morning it is calmer. Also, if I want to do a length shot and it's floofing all over the place, the BBB comes out. Haha, sounds a bit silence of the lambs: IT SITS FLAT OR ELSE IT GETS THE BBB AGAIN

Annibelle
July 21st, 2014, 05:55 AM
Your hair looks great brushed, Madora! :flower: The BBB didn't really work out for me (one reason is that I don't like my hair to be oily at all, so I don't have oil to brush around, and another reason is that I have super fine hair that can't handle BBBing), but it looks great for you! :)

Thanks for the responses, all! I don't ever get tangles (never had, even when my hair was at hip); I just comb because I like the way it breaks my waves into bunches of smaller voluminous waves. :) It seems like a lot of you brush or comb, but don't really do it for the way it looks... :hmm: Maybe I belong in the 1980s. :lol:

two_wheels
July 21st, 2014, 06:08 AM
Yes that's true- personally if I want to wear it down I would not touch it with a comb or a brush :silly: ... but I don't get smaller voluminous waves like you, I just get semi-fuzzy straightish hair. If I got what you describe, I'd probably comb it for how it looks too!

Kelikea
July 21st, 2014, 06:49 AM
I HAVE to brush (natural bamboo-no round knobs)or comb (plastic wavy wide-tooth) my hair. It gets really tangled and matted on the underside, from rubbing on my back, if its down. I'd love to do curly girl, but gel seems to make it even worse. I have to agree that my waves/curls look most defined right after a wash, when not brushed or combed, but its a messy look. I think if my hair was shorter, maybe APL - waist, it would work better. Being at Classic makes it a pain:) If I comb after washing, and want to wear it down and wavy, I will re-spritz it and scrunch with water or water-conditioner. I am using Dr. Bronner's hair creme as a leave-in.

Bambi
July 21st, 2014, 06:50 AM
I brush it in periods, don't really know why:). If I'm in a wurly mood I can leave the brushes for weeks, right now i detangle with the TT and just follow up with my BBB, just because it's midback and I want to enjoy the lenght:).

Madora
July 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks, Annibelle. I love my boar bristle brush!

TurtleWexler
July 21st, 2014, 11:13 AM
This thread is interesting reading for me, since I have been thinking about using a comb again.

Right now I do CG. I love the clumps of curls and waves that I get, and I love that I don't get nearly as many tangles as I did back when I combed and brushed my hair. But I hate my second day hair. I've tried all sorts of things to make it behave while I sleep, with no luck. It always ends up a weird mix between limp curls and fuzz. Like if Fizzgig from The Dark Crystal fell in a bowl of noodles. No amount of spritzing fixes it.

So it's either take up a comb again and lose tighter curls, wash it daily, or deal with horrible second day hair. I think I'll opt for the comb, given how slow my hair is to dry.

neko_kawaii
July 21st, 2014, 11:27 AM
I prefer to comb my wavy hair than use CG. My hair loves to tangle and not combing every day means it takes much MUCH longer to comb my hair out either before or in the shower. If I comb twice a day it takes less than two minutes each time, and that includes styling. I spent about half an hour yesterday combing out two days of neglect (I was traveling). Also, I wear my hair up most of the time (I'm wearing it down right now with then ends tucked into my sweater to keep them out of mischief, I'm so cold!) so why spend the extra effort to preserve the waves when they are going to be packed away into a bun? Also, my hair picks up whatever shape it is subjected to, so MY waves are only ever present right after it has dried. As soon as it has been bunned or braided MY waves are gone.

SunnyIC
July 21st, 2014, 11:38 AM
I've never did the CG method so I don't really know what it would do for my hair. But I do comb. Right after washing it's finger combing, and when it's mostly dry I use a wide toothed comb to detangle. Tangles have always been bad because my strands don't really live in harmony (I have straight, wavy and curly strands depending on the area), now it's not has bad because I do use a LOT of conditioner. After combing it's always funny because it gets really fluffy and softens most of the waves and gets rid of most of the curls (except at the ends) so it usually goes up and only gets combed again before braiding to sleep.

Annibelle
July 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM
I prefer to comb my wavy hair than use CG. My hair loves to tangle and not combing every day means it takes much MUCH longer to comb my hair out either before or in the shower. If I comb twice a day it takes less than two minutes each time, and that includes styling. I spent about half an hour yesterday combing out two days of neglect (I was traveling). Also, I wear my hair up most of the time (I'm wearing it down right now with then ends tucked into my sweater to keep them out of mischief, I'm so cold!) so why spend the extra effort to preserve the waves when they are going to be packed away into a bun? Also, my hair picks up whatever shape it is subjected to, so MY waves are only ever present right after it has dried. As soon as it has been bunned or braided MY waves are gone.

If I ever doubted that our hair types are strikingly similar, all doubt has now been removed. You just described my hair exactly! I just don't wear it up most of the time because of the wonky shapes it gets into when braided or bunned. :p

Kimberly
July 21st, 2014, 12:11 PM
If I don't at least comb a couple times during the week my hair begins to felt in clumps by wash day.

I don't usually finger comb until a day or two after washing, but I can't do it to a fine degree without breaking hairs, and it doesn't remove tangle-causing lint. So, once there is some sebum in my hair, I comb. When there is more, I brush. My hair does puff up some, but by the end of the day my curls usually reform by themselves, especially if my hair is left down or there is any humidity. Even braided overnight, the escaped bits form spirals and sometimes the braid itself spirals, too (one giant braided spiral, curlier at the tail). When I unbraid, the frizz is gone, and there are usually spirals.

When I brush right before putting my hair up, or bits escape, and I have fuzz around the hairline, I take little clumps and wrap them around a finger, and they just obligingly form and hold spirals, usually. Sometimes dampening helps, but sebum works better. I've tried this on my whole head, just to see if it would work, and it does, but it is a time-consuming drag and I mostly wear my hair up anyway.

MINAKO
July 21st, 2014, 01:23 PM
I only comb toweldry, and i have an imitation tsuge brush made of hard rubber, but i really would love the original wooden version, it's just the perfect cross between comb and brush, without messing the texture up the much. http://www.chidoriyaworld.com/satsbr.html
Great for many hairtypes and the wood apparently distributes oils very well.

jupiterinleo
July 21st, 2014, 01:24 PM
Like the other 2a's in here, it gets frizzy-straight when I use a brush. I'd be able to wear wavy hair only if I washed more often. It only stays wavy if I don't touch it at all--no combing or brushing, or putting it in a bun or braiding. As soon as I mess with it straightens. My signature pic is how it is after two days of no detangling and wearing in a bun. The sides straightened out but the middle didn't.

That said, right now I comb and BBB daily, and wear it up, so it looks like a 1b/c all the time.

SThr
July 21st, 2014, 07:34 PM
I detangle with a Tangle Teezer and comb with a wooden comb. It knocks out all my curls and most of my waves, but I don't know what else to do. I like the way my hair looks after a day or two of no combing, but it gets so tangled. I need to learn how to treat wurly hair, since I just treat mine like straight hair.

spirals
July 21st, 2014, 10:24 PM
I don't remember if I ever responded to this thread, but I like my waves brushed out. I comb after washing and it dries in loose curls, but I don't like the shrinkage, so I oil and brush and keep it that way until wash day.

spirals
July 21st, 2014, 10:29 PM
I either fingercomb or use a wide tooth comb in the morning. If it's being naughty (i.e. escapey bits) I use a BBB at night and by morning it is calmer. Also, if I want to do a length shot and it's floofing all over the place, the BBB comes out. Haha, sounds a bit silence of the lambs: IT SITS FLAT OR ELSE IT GETS THE BBB AGAIN :spitting: So my sense of humor. I like a BBB for distributing oil, but there is no way on God's green earth it will calm my hair. Instead, it makes it look like it's been through a hurricane.

molljo
July 22nd, 2014, 12:37 AM
It depends, really! I'm not CG, but I do practice WCC and LOC (which have taken care of the vast majority of my frizz no matter what I do) and my first wash day is basically CG as far as scrunching, no touching, etc. After that (my wash cycle is every 4-6 days) it's basically however I feel. My canopy has no problem going straight, so if I choose to comb (don't even own a brush), I get a very full 1c/2a, and with my current length it looks pretty great this way. If I want wavy again, I'll spritz it with water until it's damp, comb, scrunch, and go. First day waves are always the best/most defined, but honestly, I don't care about having perfect wavy hair 24/7. I'm actually really enjoying all the different looks I'm able to get, from defined waves (no touching) to looser, textured beach waves (finger combing), to fluffy and mostly straight (actual combing). Perfect CG hair all the time is boring to me, I guess.

GetMeToWaist
August 14th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I finger comb wet and brush with a Denman dry because its so... Efficient. I get softer, smoother, detangled hair like that. Yes, i could use a wide tooth comb and have piecey, clumped, individual waves, but i dont like the way they tangle and stick together, i just prefer my hair to look thick and beachy. Im not desperate to have curlier hair, if anything i would like it a bit looser, so i don't do CG.

Aderyn
August 14th, 2014, 01:54 AM
The past few weeks I have been doing a bit of dry combing/brushing - once or twice a week, followed up by a bit of coconut oil to shape it into place. Mainly because I've been wearing my hair down quite frequently and my hair isn't going into nice clumpy waves, but starts going into twists instead.

I typically do that if I'm too lazy to braid my hair for bed. If I braid it, it comes out looking pretty nice and wavy in the morning, though.

Brushing out 2c hair doesn't look so cute, though.. so I don't do that too often.

When not doing the above, I rarely use a brush/comb, since I detangle during the shower with conditioner, then let it do it's own thing (no other product used post-wash) and wear it up.

ExpectoPatronum
August 14th, 2014, 02:05 AM
My hair is more wurly and with my modified CG routine, it's even leaning more curly.

That said, I pretty much avoid brushing or combing it save for wash days. Combing or brushing destroys my waves and curls. I only wash every other day, so the tangles aren't too bad. Between washes, I'll typically use my fingers to separate any curls that clumped together too much for my taste and I'll use a pick to help give me some more volume without completely destroying my waves.

I'm trying to stick with detangling/brushing my hair only in the shower. I do it after I left my conditioner soak for a couple of minutes and I use my denman brush, which I modified to have less rows. My waves look nicer this way. I just need to get used to seeing two days worth of shed hairs coming out in my brush all at once as it can be quite alarming!

fiğrildi
August 14th, 2014, 02:21 AM
I comb and brush, even if I know that brushing makes my hair go wild, frizzy and ugly. I brush only before washing my hair (tangle teezer), and before braiding. But I braid almost everyday, so I brush almost everyday too.
I fingercomb from time to time. And I've got a wooden comb (body shop), which I use in the shower while my hair is covered in conditioner, and also right after washing my hair and letting it air-dry. I used to detangle everyday with the wooden comb, and I should probably come back to that routine, but tangle teezer is a bit of an addiction (ah, it leaves no tangles, but makes my hair extremely frizzy!)

Creagan
August 14th, 2014, 02:44 AM
When I let my hair settle into it's natural wavy texture, (I think I'm around a 2B or 2C, but it's been a while since I've seen my natural texture,) it snarls like crazy. So I comb it twice after I shower, while wet and again when damp. That makes it pretty straight, and less likely to form knots. I also comb it at night before braiding. I use a wide tooth comb for everything except forming my part, which I don't do that often. If I'm parting my hair, I use a brush made out of bamboo when my hair is damp but detangled.

For some reason I find braid waves far easier to deal with. It's roughly the same level of waviness as my hair would usually be, just not so prone to tangling.

mamaherrera
August 14th, 2014, 02:49 AM
I just combed my 2C/m/C hair for the first time in like 6 years. And now it's just see-through frizz, making me think, man did I lose hair, because when I used to brush before, I dont remember it being see-through, but it's like all the little clumps stayed in majorly separated clumps, so it's all transparent. But like someone else said, when I get awesome ringlets, (I don't get much curl, just ringlets/spirals,) next day hair, is just super limp curls/clumps, that looks super-little hair. That's why I combed it to see if I could get volume back, but not it's all separated volume with all see-through. Maybe cuz I used a wide-tooth comb instead of a paddle brush, which wouldn't cause as much separation.

Sparklylady82
August 14th, 2014, 10:50 AM
When I let my hair settle into it's natural wavy texture, (I think I'm around a 2B or 2C, but it's been a while since I've seen my natural texture,) it snarls like crazy. So I comb it twice after I shower, while wet and again when damp. That makes it pretty straight, and less likely to form knots. I also comb it at night before braiding. I use a wide tooth comb for everything except forming my part, which I don't do that often. If I'm parting my hair, I use a brush made out of bamboo when my hair is damp but detangled.

For some reason I find braid waves far easier to deal with. It's roughly the same level of waviness as my hair would usually be, just not so prone to tangling.
I think I am going to switch over to this routine from CG. My waves really need to be tamed somehow or else I look like I rolled out of bed so I either need to braid or use a gel. For the condition of my hair and goal of LONG hair I think braiding it while damp might have the best effect. I rarely brush my hair though...usually tangle teeze before wash and then wide tooth comb or finger comb otherwise.

momschicklets
August 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I had the same experience as you with the CG method....my hair looked pretty good but eventually I began to tire of gel, scrunching, stressing over shower techniques and how "curly" it was, etc. So now I comb all the time and I couldn't be happier! I never brush as I get a lot of static in my hair, but I comb every day! I like the soft, silky and wavy look I get and could not care less if my waves are "defined." My hair also stays clean a lot longer without all the gel, mousse or whatever else I was trying that week.

bunzfan
August 14th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Fellow wavy I use mainly my wide toothed comb but brush with a tangle teezer every few days like in my avatar picture.

KwaveT
August 14th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I only shampoo/condition my hair twice a week. Only way the CG routine would work is wash day. It looks better and better as it gets longer because stringy portion is off my face now so I don't push my hair behind the ears anymore. I would use to push my hair behind ears so it would look less frizzy. If I never combed and brushed I would have sheds and tangles all in my hair. When my hair is long enough to stay behind my back my stringy hair will become a nonissue. Right now my side hair tends to fall in front of me. To me my looks better left over my ears but flowing behind my back but it is not long enough to stay there yet. I use a wide tooth comb to detangle. I use at tangle teezer on my scalp hair and then a boar bristle brush on my scalp hair. I push what use to be my bangs/fringe behind my ears and let my side hair hang loose over ears.

Creagan
August 14th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I had the same experience as you with the CG method....my hair looked pretty good but eventually I began to tire of gel, scrunching, stressing over shower techniques and how "curly" it was, etc. So now I comb all the time and I couldn't be happier! I never brush as I get a lot of static in my hair, but I comb every day! I like the soft, silky and wavy look I get and could not care less if my waves are "defined." My hair also stays clean a lot longer without all the gel, mousse or whatever else I was trying that week.
Switching to a bamboo brush eliminated static for me, even in winter. But I prefer combing because for some reason it doesn't snarl as much and hurts way less than brushing did.

Back when I brushed, I'd divide my hair in half and pull it in front of me. Then I'd hold each section in my fist and slowly work through it with the brush, because if I did it any other way it hurt. For some reason, I don't get that with a wide-tooth comb.

Sparklylady82
August 14th, 2014, 04:23 PM
So what is the best brush and combs for wavy hair? I've heard body shop so far...

Madora
August 14th, 2014, 04:35 PM
So what is the best brush and combs for wavy hair? I've heard body shop so far...

A natural boar bristle brush. Several companies make them (Mason Pearson, Kent of London, Denman). There's also a Madora brush (pricey). But you can pick up a perfectly fine bbb at places like Target/Walmart/Walgreens. You just have to know what to look for because not all bbbs are created equal, and that makes a definite difference!

Since my Goody brush (which I've had for years) is showing signs of aging, I went to Target to see what they had. I found a very nice looking Conair Natural Shine Booster - Classic Wood boar bristle brush that has 6 rows of bristles, a nice ergonomic looking handle and a nifty black neophrene-like nubby band around the place where your thumb usually sits when brushing, which I thought was a neat touch to give you extra holding power when brushing. It cost just under $10.00. I'm going to try it this weekend.

As far as combs are concerned, I LOVE SPEERT combs, hand made in Switzerland. They are a faux tortoishell color and feel terrific in my hand. I've had a SPEERT comb before and they wear like iron but teeth do fall out eventually (due to too much dropping, etc.). My last SPEERT comb lasted 12 years.

lapushka
August 14th, 2014, 05:41 PM

I love my Tangle Teezer, and my hair is only detangled (combed & brushed) right before a wash.

swords & roses
August 14th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I'm a brushed out wavy! :happydance: I can't stand tangles, so I brush at least once a day. I like to be able to run my fingers through my hair from scalp to hem without hitting any snarls. Bliss! I've tried scrunching, plopping, leave ins, detangling in the shower (with & without conditioner), detangling fresh out of the shower (very wet hair), detangling with damp hair, a tangle teaser, a comb. Nope. Not for me. None of it! Scrunching & plopping are just too much work for me, lol. And I can't stand gels & such, both for the time & the feel. I never tried diffusing because time & I don't like using heat. Detangling any form of damp or wet hair results in far more breakage than brushing dry hair, and it would just be tangled again by the time it dried. Even combing dry hair causes more breakage for me, & doesn't get the tangles out as well. The TT barely even touched my tangles. Best route for how little time I like to spend on my hair & how I prefer my hair to feel: Detangle dry, S&C, air dry, & detangle dry again. I use a goody brush that's a combo of both wire bristles & boar bristles. Love it! Sure, it kills my waves for the most part, but the frizz is minimal, it goes into updos much sleeker & with less trouble, and it feels soooo nice!

Jennwith4
August 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM
This thread is interesting reading for me, since I have been thinking about using a comb again.

Right now I do CG. I love the clumps of curls and waves that I get, and I love that I don't get nearly as many tangles as I did back when I combed and brushed my hair. But I hate my second day hair. I've tried all sorts of things to make it behave while I sleep, with no luck. It always ends up a weird mix between limp curls and fuzz. Like if Fizzgig from The Dark Crystal fell in a bowl of noodles. No amount of spritzing fixes it.

So it's either take up a comb again and lose tighter curls, wash it daily, or deal with horrible second day hair. I think I'll opt for the comb, given how slow my hair is to dry.

Just picturing this is lol!

If I ever doubted that our hair types are strikingly similar, all doubt has now been removed. You just described my hair exactly! I just don't wear it up most of the time because of the wonky shapes it gets into when braided or bunned. :p

Ditto for me!

I'm still getting used to wavy hair. I have recently switched to a wide tooth comb from brushes. Don't think I could do the no touching at all routine. The underside of my hair would become a rats nest! I'm also one of those 2a/2b's that loses my waves once a bun or other hairstyle has been used. Frustrating!

Caraid♫
August 14th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I am kind of secretly a wavy- my waves are so on the border between wavy and straight (I'm only a 1c) that it just looks better if I brush them out. It makes it look kind of just puffy-staright although if I brush it enough it can even look sleek-straight.
This is my hair unbrushed left to dry, then with waves brushed out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12543&d=1408062496 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12542&d=1408062481
So the second picture is just... fluffy, not straight nor wavy. But I love puffy hair! I use a body shop comb and brush

DweamGoiL
August 14th, 2014, 06:37 PM

This, for me too!!!

HairFaerie
August 14th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I usually use a Tangle Teezer and I just recently got an all wood brush which I really love! It's bamboo (even the "bristles"). It feels really good on my scalp and doesn't make my wave frizzy or anything.

Creagan
August 14th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I use a wide-tooth horn comb I got off of Amazon a year ago. It works really well for painless detangling. I use a BBB to assist in styling. If I'm parting my hair, I'll use a bamboo brush or a regular one if I have to.

Sparklylady82
August 14th, 2014, 09:11 PM
A natural boar bristle brush. Several companies make them (Mason Pearson, Kent of London, Denman). There's also a Madora brush (pricey). But you can pick up a perfectly fine bbb at places like Target/Walmart/Walgreens. You just have to know what to look for because not all bbbs are created equal, and that makes a definite difference!

Since my Goody brush (which I've had for years) is showing signs of aging, I went to Target to see what they had. I found a very nice looking Conair Natural Shine Booster - Classic Wood boar bristle brush that has 6 rows of bristles, a nice ergonomic looking handle and a nifty black neophrene-like nubby band around the place where your thumb usually sits when brushing, which I thought was a neat touch to give you extra holding power when brushing. It cost just under $10.00. I'm going to try it this weekend.

As far as combs are concerned, I LOVE SPEERT combs, hand made in Switzerland. They are a faux tortoishell color and feel terrific in my hand. I've had a SPEERT comb before and they wear like iron but teeth do fall out eventually (due to too much dropping, etc.). My last SPEERT comb lasted 12 years.
I just bought a bbb from the natural section at target...it said all natural bristles so hopefully it's ok :-) I have the plastic wide tooth comb for combing but once I get some money I'll invest in a wood comb. Thankyou for your advice!

I love my Tangle Teezer, and my hair is only detangled (combed & brushed) right before a wash.
I have the TT too, I really like it.

I'm a brushed out wavy! :happydance: I can't stand tangles, so I brush at least once a day. I like to be able to run my fingers through my hair from scalp to hem without hitting any snarls. Bliss! I've tried scrunching, plopping, leave ins, detangling in the shower (with & without conditioner), detangling fresh out of the shower (very wet hair), detangling with damp hair, a tangle teaser, a comb. Nope. Not for me. None of it! Scrunching & plopping are just too much work for me, lol. And I can't stand gels & such, both for the time & the feel. I never tried diffusing because time & I don't like using heat. Detangling any form of damp or wet hair results in far more breakage than brushing dry hair, and it would just be tangled again by the time it dried. Even combing dry hair causes more breakage for me, & doesn't get the tangles out as well. The TT barely even touched my tangles. Best route for how little time I like to spend on my hair & how I prefer my hair to feel: Detangle dry, S&C, air dry, & detangle dry again. I use a goody brush that's a combo of both wire bristles & boar bristles. Love it! Sure, it kills my waves for the most part, but the frizz is minimal, it goes into updos much sleeker & with less trouble, and it feels soooo nice!
I feel the same way...I love how much wave I can get with CG but the feel of the product drives me nuts and tangles easily!

I'm still getting used to wavy hair. I have recently switched to a wide tooth comb from brushes. Don't think I could do the no touching at all routine. The underside of my hair would become a rats nest! I'm also one of those 2a/2b's that loses my waves once a bun or other hairstyle has been used. Frustrating!
My waves morph into whatever shape of style I did too...so weird!

I am kind of secretly a wavy- my waves are so on the border between wavy and straight (I'm only a 1c) that it just looks better if I brush them out. It makes it look kind of just puffy-staright although if I brush it enough it can even look sleek-straight.
This is my hair unbrushed left to dry, then with waves brushed out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12543&d=1408062496 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12542&d=1408062481
So the second picture is just... fluffy, not straight nor wavy. But I love puffy hair! I use a body shop comb and brush
beautiful hair! I love hair with volume too and it holds hairstyles much better I'd think!

I usually use a Tangle Teezer and I just recently got an all wood brush which I really love! It's bamboo (even the "bristles"). It feels really good on my scalp and doesn't make my wave frizzy or anything.
Do you mind sharing the brand?

Ambystoma
August 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I'm a comber too! I use a wide tooth seamless comb on mine, more really for looks since it's not very tangle prone. I don't really like my natural "beachy" type waves, and I think they look worse when left to clump so I comb and damp bun/roller set to get smooth bouncy type waves instead. I only brush before a wash though because brushing makes it look like a dandelion :laugh:

Inching Along
August 17th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I have gone back and forth with combing, brushing, finger combing, combing with fingers in the shower with conditioner, Curly Girl method, Live Curly Live Free method, Dr. George Michael's method, Morrocco Method... sigh. I have abandoned CG for the most part but often use a very light gel to style my curls. I am gravitating toward Dr. George Michael's method (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30666&page=2) once again, though I will be using very natural nonsulfate shampoo and no-cone conditioner (I've used natural products for probably 8 years!). I actually really like brushing my hair with my head bent down to distribute the sebum (what little I have) and get the blood circulating to the follicles. My curls are pretty tenacious and can handle combing and brushing, though they seem to disappear if I braid my hair or put it in a bun. Go figure! Here are some photos. I am still looking for what will help my hair look better.

This is the first day I did the full Curly Girl method, complete with washing with conditioner:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/21inches_01-21-14_day1CG_crop.jpg

I think I just can't do CG for very long! Here is a shot from three months later with my typical curl pattern (I think I'm a 2C-ish):
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/215inchesorso_April2014_crop2.jpg

And here is a shot of my hair brushed with a BBB. I tend to have curl mostly on the ends of my hair, and the back curls are so odd that they clump into two strong banana curls like this! I am really, really hoping it looks better as it gets longer.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/22inchesbrushedout2_2014_0814_crop.jpg

Madora and Caraid, I hope that someday my hair will look even a fraction as nice as your lovely tresses!

[ETA link to Dr. George Michael's method of long hair care]

Sparklylady82
August 18th, 2014, 01:04 AM
I have gone back and forth with combing, brushing, finger combing, combing with fingers in the shower with conditioner, Curly Girl method, Live Curly Live Free method, Dr. George Michael's method, Morrocco Method... sigh. I have abandoned CG for the most part but often use a very light gel to style my curls. I am gravitating toward Dr. George Michael's method (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30666&page=2) once again, though I will be using very natural nonsulfate shampoo and no-cone conditioner (I've used natural products for probably 8 years!). I actually really like brushing my hair with my head bent down to distribute the sebum (what little I have) and get the blood circulating to the follicles. My curls are pretty tenacious and can handle combing and brushing, though they seem to disappear if I braid my hair or put it in a bun. Go figure! Here are some photos. I am still looking for what will help my hair look better.

This is the first day I did the full Curly Girl method, complete with washing with conditioner:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/21inches_01-21-14_day1CG_crop.jpg

I think I just can't do CG for very long! Here is a shot from three months later with my typical curl pattern (I think I'm a 2C-ish):
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/215inchesorso_April2014_crop2.jpg

And here is a shot of my hair brushed with a BBB. I tend to have curl mostly on the ends of my hair, and the back curls are so odd that they clump into two strong banana curls like this! I am really, really hoping it looks better as it gets longer.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/22inchesbrushedout2_2014_0814_crop.jpg

Madora and Caraid, I hope that someday my hair will look even a fraction as nice as your lovely tresses!

Can yo explain Dr. George Michael's Method? I found the products on madora.com but there is no info?

Dreams_in_Pink
August 18th, 2014, 02:00 AM
I also cannot live without combing/brushing my hair! I have a tangle teezer and two mason pearson BBBs that i use frequently.

My hair used to get poofy and frizzy after brushing/combing but 4 layers of henna removed most of the curl pattern so it reacts better to combing now :)

XcaliburGirl
August 18th, 2014, 05:34 AM
CG didn't really work for me either. I actually came to LHC from the Naturally Curly forums since this place is more my style. I can't stand having much product in my hair.

I brush my damp/wet hair after my shower, then I usually put it up. Since I wash daily, I don't really brush it dry. That gets a little too puffy, but I do like the smoothness. If I leave it down after brushing wet, the result is like my length shots. Wavy, but very voluminous and frizzy.

If I want waves, I let it sit for several hours in a damp bun. Then I take it down without brushing/combing, and let it air-dry the rest of the way. This gives me the best waves without much frizz. For some reason, I can't get that result from not brushing straight out of the shower. Plus it takes too long to dry.

I've been thinking about getting a Body Shop comb for dry combing since if I want to bun it after drying loose, brushing is like wrangling a giant fluff monster.

Caraid♫
August 18th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Thank you Inching Along! I love the two ringlets you get in your hair when you brush it out, they are beautiful! I think that'll have a really cool effect when it gets longer particularly :D

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Can yo explain Dr. George Michael's Method? I found the products on madora.com but there is no info?

Sparklylady, I hope you don't mind my answering your question about Dr. George Michael's method of long hair care.

Basically, he did not believe in cutting layers..or bangs. He believed in hair of one length (though his treatment included a slight "u" shape trim to the ends).

He believed in eating properly, avoiding damaging hair practices like hot curlers/irons/bleaching/backcombing/teasing.

He believed in using a boar bristle brush (no nylon or plastic) every day.

He was also most insistent that you never, ever, brushed your hair when it was wet.

He believed in careful detangling before brushing. Brushing the hair also had a certain method to it...bent at the waist position was recommended because you got the added benefit of blood circulation in your follicles while brushing. He recommended brushing in the morning, when you get up, as that was the optimum time for brushing (it had something to do with circulation)

He believed in sectioning your hair when creating updos to help distribute the weight more easily on your scalp.

He did not recommend pony tail holders or putting sticks in the same place day after day.

He believed in washing the hair ONLY when it needed it. He held that frequent washing eventually removes the hair's natural oil, ultimately leaving it looking like straw.

He believed in air drying only...or with the hair dryer on low.

I could go on and on. He opened his first salon in the mid 50s in NYC and gradually became world famous as the guru of long hair. People from all walks of life flocked to his NYC salon to have their hair done by his staff. His treatment leaves your hair incredibly beautiful...looking like a Pantene ad. There's never been anyone like him and it doesn't look like anyone will take his place. There are 3 GM dedicated salons in the US...Bev. Hills, CA, in Olmstead, Ohio (Enchantress) and Madora's Long Hair Heaven, the main GM salon, in NYC. I can't say enough good things about his technique. He worked with ALL types and lengths of hair. His book "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" is filled with advice and stories of his work with long hair.

bunzfan
August 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I have found mainly comb doesn't disturb my wave pattern I brush every few days.

Inching Along
August 18th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Thank you Inching Along! I love the two ringlets you get in your hair when you brush it out, they are beautiful! I think that'll have a really cool effect when it gets longer particularly :D

Aww, thank you, Caraid! That is so sweet of you. They drive me crazy, so it's good to hear that they're not that terrible. :)

Inching Along
August 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Sparklylady, I hope you don't mind my answering your question about Dr. George Michael's method of long hair care.

Basically, he did not believe in cutting layers..or bangs. He believed in hair of one length (though his treatment included a slight "u" shape trim to the ends).

He believed in eating properly, avoiding damaging hair practices like hot curlers/irons/bleaching/backcombing/teasing.

He was also most insistent that you never, ever, brushed your hair when it was wet.

He believed in careful detangling before brushing. Brushing the hair also had a certain method to it...bent at the waist position was recommended because you got the added benefit of blood circulation in your follicles while brushing. He recommended brushing in the morning, when you get up, as that was the optimum time for brushing (it had something to do with circulation)

He believed in sectioning your hair when creating updos to help distribute the weight more easily on your scalp.

He did not recommend pony tail holders or putting sticks in the same place day after day.

He believed in washing the hair ONLY when it needed it. He held that frequent washing eventually removes the hair's natural oil, ultimately leaving it looking like straw.

I could go on and on. He opened his first salon in the mid 50s in NYC and gradually became world famous as the guru of long hair. People from all walks of life flocked to his NYC salon to have their hair done by his staff. His treatment leaves your hair incredibly beautiful...looking like a Pantene ad. There's never been anyone like him and it doesn't look like anyone will take his place. There are 3 GM dedicated salons in the US...Bev. Hills, CA, in Olmstead, Ohio (Enchantress) and Madora's Long Hair Heaven, the main GM salon, in NYC. I can't say enough good things about his technique. He worked with ALL types and lengths of hair. His book "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" is filled with advice and stories of his work with long hair.

Thank you so much for that wonderful information, Madora! I am sure SparklyLady doesn't mind. :) This is some info I didn't know. If you want to share more, please do so! I am learning so much!

This is the info I was referring to, called George Michael's Secret for Long Hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30666&page=2. There are five main posts on the page that explain his method. Look down as far as PARTING THE HAIR to see it all.

I am getting more intrigued and want to see his book now!

Sparklylady82
August 18th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Thankyou so much! I keep going back an forth between CG and not! My hair is not that long yet so I can pull off putting all the CG products in my hair now BUT I plan on going for extreme lengths. I can't imagine spending tons of money on hair gels and curly girl products at hip length and beyond! I'm so torn...I wonder if they have the GM book at the library?

Sparklylady82
August 18th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Thank you so much for that wonderful information, Madora! I am sure SparklyLady doesn't mind. :) This is some info I didn't know. If you want to share more, please do so! I am learning so much!

This is the info I was referring to, called George Michael's Secret for Long Hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30666&page=2. There are five main posts on the page that explain his method. Look down as far as PARTING THE HAIR to see it all.

Thankyou! I am intrigued now as well! I love your bible verse quote too BTW :-))

Sparklylady82
August 18th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Thankyou! I am intrigued now as well! I love your bible verse quote too BTW :-))

Imalath
August 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I am a pretty solid 2b, and I comb. I have tried CG in the past and it was a shedding disaster, although it was pretty easy to get 3a curls with the right products. I just couldn't handle the tangles though, and went back to a more conventional routine. My sanity appreciates it :)

I have a plastic comb for the rare occasion I need to detangle my wet hair, and a wooden one for daily use. There is even an old vent brush hiding in the back of my bathroom cabinet...I haven't used it in years, but still can't make myself throw it away :rolleyes:

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Thankyou so much! I keep going back an forth between CG and not! My hair is not that long yet so I can pull off putting all the CG products in my hair now BUT I plan on going for extreme lengths. I can't imagine spending tons of money on hair gels and curly girl products at hip length and beyond! I'm so torn...I wonder if they have the GM book at the library?

Sparklylady, if your library has the interlibrary loan service, you could try and ask them to locate a copy for you. George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair, published by Doubleday and Co. Inc.,Garden City, NY, Author: George Michael and Ray Lindsay. Hard bound. It only had one printing so is relatively rare.

PS Published in 1981
ISBN: 0 385-15465-8

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Yes, Inching Along, the posts are more of the GM technique. He believed in washing twice: the first shampoo was to get the dirt off. Rinse well. Then repeat the shampooing, concentrating on the scalp and hair length.

He also stressed that conditioning should be done from the ears down. This is because the hair's own natural sebum did the work from the scalp to the ears. Naturally, it helps if you brush every day to encourage the sebum.

I've seen Mr. M's book on ebay...ranging in price from $45 to $75 and more. It is somewhat rare as it only had one printing (and apparently a small one at that) back in 1981. I think its worth every penny...but then, I'm a hopeless case when it comes to Dr. Michael! He knew his apples about long hair and was such an inspiration to his clients..whether they came with barely ear skimming coifs or hair down to the floor. I even saw a little 3 year old in his salon..she came with her mom, and Dr. Michael was teaching her how to brush her hair with a brush. It was so cute...and she was getting the "hang" of it...even at that tender age! You can't start too soon to learn sound guidelines when it comes to healthy hair!

Natalina
August 18th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I've never tried CG before, and I don't intend to because my current hair routine works just fine. I'm a mixture of 1b, 2b and 2c and I've always been loyal to wide-toothed combs (I only use it before washing my hair). I can't imagine living without it, because finger-combing just isn't enough for me.

Then I use my fine-toothed comb (on wet hair) specifically for my bangs and the back of my head, because if I don't, they dry wild and fuzzy and I absolutely can't stand that! I love how smooth the top of my hair is. :o

mamaherrera
August 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM
ACCORDING TO THIS FAMOUS GURU, my question is: should we brush daily even if we sacrifice curl pattern or should we not brush at all?? I would love to brush because or circulation,but I also am in love with my curl pattern. What to do, what to do? And if we do brush, always comb before?? Doesn't that mean we've got to give double manipulation to our hair?? More breakage???? I could see me doing that if I oiled my hair first, but then I would NOT to that daily! Do any of you notice more shedding/ less growth/thinner strands since NOT brushing, I mean can your hair/scalp be just AS healthy, if you avoid brushing all together?

excentricat
August 18th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I comb or Tangle Teaze my hair daily, but rarely while wet. It is usually pretty straight by the time the next wash comes up. I wear it up, so preserving the curl pattern isn't important to me. My hair looks messy uncombed, it doesn't clump well, and combing in the shower, even with conditioner, pulls out hair and is a mess.

mamaherrera
August 18th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Do you all think we can give the same amount of stimulation to follicles by just massaging bent over??? I mean, I would like to continue to NOT brush, but I want the benefits for my scalp/follicles?? Does the massage do JUST as good??? Or maybe I could just brush from the root to half way down is all, but really do any of you brush without combing first?? And can anyone include some specific links for good combs and boar bristle brushes?? I have never used one, but I've used Aveda's paddle brush. I can't even visualize how a boar bristle brush can detangle?? It doesn't look like it would!

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Do you all think we can give the same amount of stimulation to follicles by just massaging bent over??? I mean, I would like to continue to NOT brush, but I want the benefits for my scalp/follicles?? Does the massage do JUST as good??? Or maybe I could just brush from the root to half way down is all, but really do any of you brush without combing first?? And can anyone include some specific links for good combs and boar bristle brushes?? I have never used one, but I've used Aveda's paddle brush. I can't even visualize how a boar bristle brush can detangle?? It doesn't look like it would!

Don't use a brush to detangle - ever. You'll end up snagging tangles and possibly breaking hair. Always use a wide tooth comb to carefully detangle the hair first, then when it's all tangle-free, use a brush (bottom to top - again, just like with the comb).

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 08:20 PM

Lapushka is right on target. A boar bristle brush...or any brush for that matter, is not a detangler.

Consider: Your hair is fragile. You want to protect it as best you can. You have 2 choices: a brush or a comb. A brush has many, many teeth/bristles. A comb has a limited number of tines. What do you want coming at your fragile hair???? A brush is used to polish the hair, remove dirt/lint and exercise the follicles. A comb is used to detangle. You have a limited number of tines going through your hair when you detangle. A brush for detangling is disaster city waiting to happen. Oh, the breakage!

@nanagerrera... Mr. Michael wasn't into sacrificing curl pattern. He was more interested in the health of the hair. Which doesn't mean you can't treat your hair as you wish as far as curls are concerned. Just don't use a brush for detangling.

Oh, one more thing: if you brush, brush all.the.way.down.the.strands. No halfway brushies.

If you wish to just massage, then go for it. There's no law that says you HAVE to brush every day. It's just that brushing (with a pure bbb) does so much for your hair (provided you use the right brush and brush correctly). When you massage, just be careful to detangle before and after each session.

As far as combs are concerned, I recommend SPEERT combs, hand-made in Switzerland. Reasonably priced. They are faux tortoiseshell in color and last a long time. (My last SPEERT comb lasted 12 years).

link: https://www.speert.com/combs.cfm?gclid=CIGk1PahnsACFSdk7Aod_ScAFQ

Entangled
August 18th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I think I might be joining this thread. I'm doing a hair typing tonight, because I strongly suspect I might be wavier than 1c. I've ALWAYS brushed and frizz wasn't bad enough to look horrendous, just enough to look unkempt. However, if my suspicions are confirmed, I'll probably still brush because I love the sensation of my brush, and then texture won't matter, because my hair will be up most if the time. We shall see!

swords & roses
August 18th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I always seem to get more breakage when detangling with a comb than I do when detangling with a wire-bristle brush. Guess I'm the outlier in that? :confused:

LongCurlyTress
August 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I think I might be joining this thread. I'm doing a hair typing tonight, because I strongly suspect I might be wavier than 1c. I've ALWAYS brushed and frizz wasn't bad enough to look horrendous, just enough to look unkempt. However, if my suspicions are confirmed, I'll probably still brush because I love the sensation of my brush, and then texture won't matter, because my hair will be up most if the time. We shall see!

I am right with you! I always brush out my 3b hair since I end up putting it into a bun anyways. They say brushing frizzes curly hair, and it does, but I just put a bit of coconut oil on the ends, ears to tips after brushing, and then put it into a bun with a hairstick. I love the sensation of the brush too!

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM

Entangled, the frizz/fluff associated with brushing your hair can be tamed to a certain extent. When brushing, after each stroke of the brush, take the palm of your other hand and go down the hair that has just been brushed. The brush creates the static;the palm of the hand helps calm it.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then after you've finished brushing all your hair, gather it together and let your other hand go down its length...several times. This helps tame the frizzies as well.

Inching Along
August 18th, 2014, 10:50 PM

Thank you, Sparklylady--I love it, too. :)

I also was doing the CG method, but I don't like lots of products. I have a Morrocco Method gel that's very light, so I use that sometimes to scrunch with. I see your point about using lots of money for products when your hair is long! I would like to use minimal products. I read an interview today with a lady with knee-length hair. She said she uses very minimal products, I think mostly conditioner and occasionally shampoo. I try to use very natural products or things I can make myself, like herbal rinses and such. I think I'll just enjoy my curls when I can wear my hair loose, and then when I've brushed between washes, I'll do something different with it, or try to like it straighter!

Inching Along
August 18th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Yes, Inching Along, the posts are more of the GM technique. He believed in washing twice: the first shampoo was to get the dirt off. Rinse well. Then repeat the shampooing, concentrating on the scalp and hair length.

He also stressed that conditioning should be done from the ears down. This is because the hair's own natural sebum did the work from the scalp to the ears. Naturally, it helps if you brush every day to encourage the sebum.

I've seen Mr. M's book on ebay...ranging in price from $45 to $75 and more. It is somewhat rare as it only had one printing (and apparently a small one at that) back in 1981. I think its worth every penny...but then, I'm a hopeless case when it comes to Dr. Michael! He knew his apples about long hair and was such an inspiration to his clients..whether they came with barely ear skimming coifs or hair down to the floor. I even saw a little 3 year old in his salon..she came with her mom, and Dr. Michael was teaching her how to brush her hair with a brush. It was so cute...and she was getting the "hang" of it...even at that tender age! You can't start too soon to learn sound guidelines when it comes to healthy hair!

Thank you for that additional information, Madora. In the first washing, what would one concentrate on? I'm working on brushing each day, except for the days I want curly hair. :) I LOVE the story about Dr. Michael teaching the little girl to brush her hair. What a treat for her and for you to witness it.

Aurum
August 18th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Wavy here, checking in. I know a lot of longhairs with waves/curls swear on various no-brushing techniques, but my hair looks 1000x better after a comb.

After washing, I don't touch my hair at all. The length tends to form cords that turn into loose ringlets when dry, and I enjoy them until they get brushed out. Later that day or the next day (if I wash at night), I'll finger comb, detangle with a wide tooth comb, and then finish with a standard plastic comb. Both combs are just drugstore generic type.
I tried brushing for a while; it helped distribute oils but I felt that it was too much for my fragile hair. I would never put a BBB near my head because I'm too afraid of coming away with half of my hair. You could say that I've had some bad experiences with over-enthusiastic hair dressers armed with BBBs. I'm sure the BBB-loyalists are gathering their pitchforks now, but I can't be changed. My cheap combs are just fine for me. :)
On a side note, I combed my mop head earlier today after trying a new conditioner last night and it was pure silk. :happydance:

mamaherrera
August 19th, 2014, 02:28 AM
Wow this gets way too complicated!! Good to take in though, but some questions come about. Would you all share opinions on if massage exercises the follicles AS MUCH as brushing?? and how does brushing exercise the follicles? I thought it just stimulated circulation, I've never heard of it exercising the follicles, interesting!
Also, I have always massaged, but never detangled. What is the reasoning behind that and why do you do it before and after?? Again, I think that just causes MORE manipulation of my hair. . . . hint breakage!

mamaherrera
August 19th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Plus, here it was mentioned to only detangle on wet curly hair, so how would I detangle before and after massaging hair that is dry?? And if I want to brush dry, I would obviously have to detangle with a comb first, and supposedly curlies are supposed to detangle only when wet!! Now I'm confused! and one more thought. . . would scritching with a denman shower brush do some good for the follicles?? I like to do that in and out of the shower, where I Move it up and down just like 3 mm. all over my scalp, like when you scritch to get rid of flakes. . . . any good for the follicles?? Opinions?

Timea
August 19th, 2014, 03:35 AM
i brush my hair because it's always full of cat fuzz and the cat fuzz makes it tangle.

Timea
August 19th, 2014, 04:09 AM

You can borrow it online at open library:
https://openlibrary.org/works/OL5914345W/George_Michael's_Secrets_for_beautiful_hair

GetMeToWaist
August 19th, 2014, 04:45 AM

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you don't vigorously brush out tangles and use a comb instead, then brush to smooth and polish, you'll be fine. A good BBB is the one by Denman, I have that one and it works fine. My hair doesn't tangle that much and just brushing works really well for me.

Entangled
August 19th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Entangled, the frizz/fluff associated with brushing your hair can be tamed to a certain extent. When brushing, after each stroke of the brush, take the palm of your other hand and go down the hair that has just been brushed. The brush creates the static;the palm of the hand helps calm it.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then after you've finished brushing all your hair, gather it together and let your other hand go down its length...several times. This helps tame the frizzies as well.

I've tried that before, and it didn't affect what I'm talking about. Frizz probably wasn't the best word to use. It's more like my hair is straight, but the hairs are taking up space individually and won't lie smooth together, so instead of moving like water, they act like trees in a forest, with each strand claiming an individual space as its own.

two_wheels
August 19th, 2014, 05:06 AM
My hair does that all the time, Entangled. I call it "non-compressibility". Some people have tons of hair but it compresses well so they end up being a i or a ii. I have not much, but it doesn't compress, so I end up as a ii.

mamaherrera
August 19th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Mine is like that too, it's all entangled and can look big, but compressed, i'ts not as much as you think or as I would like!

mamaherrera
August 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I appreciate you giving me that info to look for one if I decide to go for it. Are you really a 2B?? How the heck do you get curl so far up??? I can never get that, awesome curls, I'm jealous!! How often do you brush?? And do you comb first always and then brush upside down?

And the one who mentioned shampooing twice, I've heard of that. But in reality, do many of you do it????

cat11
August 19th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Checking in as a hair combing wavy/curly :) My hair is thick 2c.

I love combing my hair. It's relaxing, I put on my favorite show and do it very slowly. I won't comb when its wet (other than finger comb on conditioned hair in the shower- or tangle teezer on really badly tangled hair with conditioner, but this rarely happens) because it's more weak like that.. but once its dry, and after it's been in braids or a bun un-combed for a little bit (for some reason this "calms" it down and makes it easier to comb) I oil the ends and detangle it using a very wide seamless comb, slowly.. (https://www.etsy.com/shop/EternallyInAmber has awesome combs!!! and 50% off sale right now.)

I notice that because of the fineness and thickness of my type of hair, and I'll bet a lot of other wavies have noticed, that even if my hair is detangled, running a comb through it fast will still make it catch just because of the friction I guess, the hair doesn't glide apart like it would slower. Its SO much easier to detangle it very slowly, one section at a time, starting from the bottom. I stop and start again if I hit a snag, no pulling or forcing. If you go fast you can't really have as much control and snap more hairs too.

After the one time though I try to comb it as little as possible, I might go 3 or 4 days without any need to comb it again because all I do it stick it in a bun or braid it. If I can tell for whatever reason it's getting a tangly spot I comb it again to prevent worse tangles. It's all about tangle prevention for me. If I don't comb it my hair clumps together in ways that make me want to scream, its like nails on a chalkboard all over inside.

I've tried CG method, I'd do it once or twice again maybe to wear my hair down for a special occasion. But it really does leave your hair clumped together in a way you can't easily brushed out, in a way it's "neatly" tangled all the time. I can't stand that and it doesn't work for me since I wear my hair up 95% of the time and I need to be able to neatly comb it back with my fingers.... plus my hair looks just as good and shiny brushed out and then oiled for moisture. CG is all about the moisture for getting shine and reducing frizz... moisture after combing works just as well for that purpose, i find.

cle90
August 19th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I have wavy hair and I use Kent brushes! The detangling one. It doesn't pull at my hair or frizz it out and massages my scalp.

Sparklylady82
August 19th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I've tried CG method, I'd do it once or twice again maybe to wear my hair down for a special occasion. But it really does leave your hair clumped together in a way you can't easily brushed out, in a way it's "neatly" tangled all the time. I can't stand that and it doesn't work for me since I wear my hair up 95% of the time and I need to be able to neatly comb it back with my fingers.... plus my hair looks just as good and shiny brushed out and then oiled for moisture. CG is all about the moisture for getting shine and reducing frizz... moisture after combing works just as well for that purpose, i find.

You explained this very well and this is what I have been battling! I love the way my hair looks the day I wash it doing CG but then next day when I comb its really tangly and clumpy as you'd say and then it just gets big. How do you tame the waves so that they are smooth (compressed you could say) and not frizzy and poufy? I might try a damp bun or braid with oil on the ends. What works for you wavies?

meteor
August 20th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I am definitely in this camp. I have nothing against CG method (most of it is in total compliance with LHC advice anyway), but the gel part really makes us need to clean hair more often, as styling products attract dirt and cause tangles unless washed out pretty quickly.

My only claim to being a wavie is a couple very loose and tame s-waves, so as soon as I comb my hair out it becomes almost completely straight. It's a lot easier to handle my hair this way and keep it product-free and clean, instead of scrunching gel.

I don't brush, because my hair doesn't seem to need/like it.

If I want more pronounced waves, I resort to damp-setting my hair in braids or buns with a tiny amount of coconut oil - I'm way too lazy for anything more complicated than that.

meteor
August 20th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Also, I find that combing/brushing waves (as long as your hair is well moisturized/oiled/conditioned) produces this kind of effect (http://pics.haircutshairstyles.com/img/arts/2011/Apr/07/174/megan_fox.jpg), while scrunching gel is more likely to produce this effect (http://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/052711_selena_hair_spl281247_007110527124908.jpg?w =544).
I really like both effects! Nothing wrong with sometimes accentuating waves and other times brushing them out. :D
I love the versatility that wavy hair provides! It's really easy to go straight or curly with this hair type, too! :D

Madora
August 20th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Also, I find that combing/brushing waves (as long as your hair is well moisturized/oiled/conditioned) produces this kind of effect (http://pics.haircutshairstyles.com/img/arts/2011/Apr/07/174/megan_fox.jpg), while scrunching gel is more likely to produce this effect (http://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/052711_selena_hair_spl281247_007110527124908.jpg?w =544).
I really like both effects! Nothing wrong with sometimes accentuating waves and other times brushing them out. :D
I love the versatility that wavy hair provides! It's really easy to go straight or curly with this hair type, too! :D

Meteor, I cringed when I saw the scrunching gel photo. Ugh! I loved the first one! Beautiful, lusterous, hair you'd be proud to have!

meteor
August 20th, 2014, 09:14 AM
I gotta admit, Madora, I prefer brushed out waves, too! :)

I think the Veronica Lake look (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Veronica_Lake_still.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Lake&h=250&w=202&tbnid=HL2KuTP15JlAaM:&zoom=1&tbnh=186&tbnw=150&usg=__uS0-3-MDEgnPrtk_z7rO2s-NNts=&docid=zslwObgv02rUtM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=Hrv0U-6OIte7ogTtj4JA&ved=0CHYQ_B0wCg) is absolutely timeless! :)

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I still don't believe the gel part of CG doesn't damage hair.I just don't.It might be slow,maybe neglectible to some,but it does cause damage.Though I don't have access to a microscope and someone who would gel their hair for a couple months for me :D

Madora
August 20th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I gotta admit, Madora, I prefer brushed out waves, too! :)

I think the Veronica Lake look (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Veronica_Lake_still.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Lake&h=250&w=202&tbnid=HL2KuTP15JlAaM:&zoom=1&tbnh=186&tbnw=150&usg=__uS0-3-MDEgnPrtk_z7rO2s-NNts=&docid=zslwObgv02rUtM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=Hrv0U-6OIte7ogTtj4JA&ved=0CHYQ_B0wCg) is absolutely timeless! :)

Oh, yes! Veronica was quite the celebrity...back in the 40s. Her hairstyle was copied by thousands. It was so popular, in fact, that the War Dept asked her to pin up her hair and ask women to do so to (to cut down on accidents with machinery).

She had such shimmering, golden tresses. Sarahlabyrinth's hair reminds me of Miss Lake.

maskedrose
August 20th, 2014, 11:00 AM
My hair vacillates between 2a and 2c depending on the day, but I have always loved my brush. I've always used wooden brushes with wooden pins - this is my current one: http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Brushes-Extra-Large-Oval/dp/B008D2952Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1408553676&sr=1-1&keywords=bass+brush+wood+bristles

I've found that it is the gentlest thing I can use on my hair. I've tried wooden and horn combs, and no matter how careful I am I always end up snapping hairs with them. I'm careful with my brush, but it almost always glides right through. On my 2c days it will get poofy if I brush it out, but by the second day the waves have relaxed enough that I get that beautiful ripple effect :)

meteor
August 20th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I still don't believe the gel part of CG doesn't damage hair.I just don't.It might be slow,maybe neglectible to some,but it does cause damage.Though I don't have access to a microscope and someone who would gel their hair for a couple months for me :D

I really think you are on to something, LadyCelestina! :D
What I'd suggest is contacting somebody like our lovely LHC-er Mira-chan who has looked at hair under microscope or JC over at the Natural Haven Bloom (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/07/what-do-you-want-to-see-next-on-blog.html) - she's often asking people what they'd like her to analyze under microscope, and since her blog is mostly focused on curly and kinky hair, she'd probably know or want to know how gel effects hair on micro-level.

In the meantime, here is the effect of hair-spray under microscope: http://pgbeautyscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%204/Hair%20spray%202.jpg and http://pgbeautyscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%204/Hair%20spray%203.jpg
It basically seals or "welds" hair strands together, causing major damage, especially if you try to comb/brush before clarifying.
I suspect gels can do something similar!

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 01:25 PM
douple post

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 01:27 PM
That is a great idea,meteor! Though to really get to know what regular gel application does to our hair,I think we'd have to take in account that curlies or wavies who use gel don't usually comb their hair or try to disrupt it.So the effect that is observed with the hairspray picture ( the picture is taken after a week of normal combing I think and reapplied in between) isn't as prominent.My theory would be,that with the way curlies/wavies use gel and styling products,the damage adds up slowly to normal weathering of the hair,over time.Similar to gentle blow drying maybe. This would be kind of hard to capture and require volunteers or someone really patient with test strands.

But maybe I have it all wrong and gel is perfectly safe due to some chemistry stuff.There's also the fact the hairspray used in the pictures probably contained alcohol.

ETA: and maybe the CG thing works as a whole,like the george michael routine.It features something relatively damaging (brushing) and something good for hair (wearing up,infrequent washing etc.),but the damaging thing is what is necessary to put the routine together.

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I tried to post a comment there but it wouldn't post and I don't feel like rewriting. so I'll try to contact her tomorrow.

tanchoulita
August 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I comb and brush and some days, my wavy hair gets super big with the combing and brushing. I comb it to get rid of the tangles and I brush it to distribute the oil along my hair. I tried to use gel and I hate it. It feels like it is drying out my waves and curls and look too crunchy and tangle galore.

mira-chan
November 11th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I really think you are on to something, LadyCelestina! :D
What I'd suggest is contacting somebody like our lovely LHC-er Mira-chan who has looked at hair under microscope or JC over at the Natural Haven Bloom (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/07/what-do-you-want-to-see-next-on-blog.html) - she's often asking people what they'd like her to analyze under microscope, and since her blog is mostly focused on curly and kinky hair, she'd probably know or want to know how gel effects hair on micro-level.

In the meantime, here is the effect of hair-spray under microscope: http://pgbeautyscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%204/Hair%20spray%202.jpg and http://pgbeautyscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%204/Hair%20spray%203.jpg
It basically seals or "welds" hair strands together, causing major damage, especially if you try to comb/brush before clarifying.
I suspect gels can do something similar!

I still have access to that microscope for now and have a bit more time finally. So if anyone wants some hair microscopy, I can do that.

iluvbooks
November 12th, 2014, 02:13 AM
I comb it wet after I wash it, then braid it, and boom! wavy curls. I use the Eternally In Amber comb.

But like you said, many wavies can't/don't brush without frizz. I can't brush my hair either. Just comb.

Wosie
November 12th, 2014, 03:36 AM
I both brush and comb. :oops: Why I do it? Well, mostly it's a habit I can't seem to kick. I really like to brush/comb it, it's relaxing. I do notice that it gets frizzier, but I usually combat the frizz with some oil that calms the fly aways down a lil'. It also gets straighter the more I do it; yesterday (with rather straight hair) I saw that I was ~one centimetre or less away from BSL. :D

I've tried the CG method, but my hair is probably not wavy enough for it to work. All I get is lanky, stringy hair that gets greasy quicker. :scared:

Zwaluw
November 12th, 2014, 04:29 AM
When my brush broke I went looking for a good comb. I ended up with an EternallyinAmber one. I love it and I have to comb otherwise the tangles are undoable. I have curls and waves. My hair gets frizzier when I comb it but I don't mind the frizz as much as the tangles.

katelinn
November 12th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I brush and comb...mostly brush with a TT, morning and evening..if i don't it ends up being tons of knots in the hair, especially underneath near the nape. I don't brush or comb wet though. I braid or bun my hair daily so don't bother too much about keeping the waves/curls. When going somewhere special I wouldn't brush, I'd only comb carefully, but on a daily basis that just takes too long !

PinkyCat
November 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I am one of the few curlies who can comb and the curls go right back to their shape - no boom or frizz at all. I wonder if it has to do with my low porosity?

Rowdy
November 12th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Im high porosity so I do the CG thing for the first two days after I shower. The third day I brush it out then reform the former curls into defined waves with some oil. Fourth day I brush again and either wear it up or wash it again.

Sharysa
November 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I'm 1c/2a. I only use my actual comb before and after my shower; before the shower is to detangle it, and after the shower I comb it wet/damp to oil it before I set it in braids for more reliable waves. Therefore, I only comb about twice a week and the rest is finger-combing, plus braiding to keep down the tangles.

Combing daily pulls my wave out, but not into actual straight hair--just the dreaded triangle-hair that I was unfortunately well acquainted with in high school. I like wavy hair much better than straight hair, so finger-combing most of the time it is.

Sparklylady82
November 12th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I can comb my hair and not get to much frizz. I don't prefer how my hair looks in an updo wavy so I have been combing gently while our air dries and/or damp bun!

HintOfMint
November 12th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I comb when wet, and brush in between washes. I haven't tried CG but frankly, I'm not a fan of my natural wave pattern so I damp-bun. A little texturizing product after brushing helps with some of the fluffiness (a darling euphemism for frizz), and my waves relax into something looser and more uniform.

Annalouise
November 15th, 2014, 08:58 AM
I comb to detangle and use a bbb as per Madora's instructions and my hair is healthier than when I only combed my hair with a pic.
My hair used to always be dry and crunchy on the ends when it hit bsl. Now my bsl hair is actually soft and I don't have split ends and I attribute
that to using a bbb. And I used to have the dreaded oily scalp/dry ends combination of hair and now my hair is more consistent from roots to ends.
AND.... I have six inch long hair growing along the back of my head/neckline that I am positive started growing because of the upside down brushing.
I've never had this hair growing there before. And its the same length (six inches) as the time I've been consistently using the bbb (1 year). And that is truly wonderful as I NEED the thickness. My hair is on the borderline between i and ii. So YAY!

Madora- thanks for the link to speert combs. I would like to purchase one of these combs they are very reasonably priced. Which one do you use?
Also, do you use the speert side combs for updos? I'm looking for a benign way to put my hair up and I was wondering if its good to use the speert side combs?

Inching Along
September 7th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I comb to detangle and use a bbb as per Madora's instructions and my hair is healthier than when I only combed my hair with a pic.
My hair used to always be dry and crunchy on the ends when it hit bsl. Now my bsl hair is actually soft and I don't have split ends and I attribute
that to using a bbb. And I used to have the dreaded oily scalp/dry ends combination of hair and now my hair is more consistent from roots to ends.
AND.... I have six inch long hair growing along the back of my head/neckline that I am positive started growing because of the upside down brushing.
I've never had this hair growing there before. And its the same length (six inches) as the time I've been consistently using the bbb (1 year). And that is truly wonderful as I NEED the thickness. My hair is on the borderline between i and ii. So YAY!

Madora- thanks for the link to speert combs. I would like to purchase one of these combs they are very reasonably priced. Which one do you use?
Also, do you use the speert side combs for updos? I'm looking for a benign way to put my hair up and I was wondering if its good to use the speert side combs?

Annalouise, it is great to hear that your hair has responded so positively to upside down brushing with a BBB! How wonderful that is it soft and healthy at BSL and that you have new growth as well. I am hoping for results like this because I have been consistently brushing this way for 2 1/2 weeks (I was sporadic before that). My hair is only at 16.5 inches right now, so it's not looking all that fantastic, but it feels softer. Even my husband said so! I am encouraged and can't wait to see how it helps my hair as it grows.

turtlelover
September 7th, 2015, 10:23 PM
I tried the CG method and HATED it. It made my hair look stringy and flat. I'm just not a fan! I use shampoo and conditioner, and detangle right after a shower and am one of those people that oddly enough has a better time with that when using a wire pin brush than a comb. I just get less pulls/snags and tangles. Why, I do not know! I also don't do well with boar bristles. They tend to make my hair static and don't penetrate through it well, so I gave them up. I do brush numerous times a day with my wire pin brush and don't get a lot of frizz, generally, unless my hair has been up or slept on and I've lost "my" wave pattern because of that. 2nd day hair tends to be less nice, so I tend to put it up on days that I don't wash, though sometimes I can go to bed even with totally wet hair and have it miraculously look good the next day. However, the results of sleeping on my hair are NOT predictable! HAHA

I massage coconut oil or argan oil into my hair before washing sometimes, but I just use my hands -- I don't distribute it with a brush , since I doubt the wire brush would help w/ that, and boar bristles brushes don't penetrate my hair.

If I really want to define my waves, I can use gel and scrunch while drying and get significantly more wave/curl, but I hate product in my hair and rarely go for that look nowadays. I get compliments, but then I can't brush nor EVER have decent 2nd day hair, and that annoys me.

yahirwaO.o
September 7th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Im a poker straight person, but when I have braid waves (a single fishtail braid or two english braids) It needs to be brush to look good on me!!!!!

Its the only method that gives me long lasting texture, and while most people prefer to just finger comb, I love to brush and have nice fluffy full hair versus stringy crimps that makes it look finer.

Like other have said, I use a bamboo pin brush against my hand and that makes it look super voluminous but not wild cave man hair. Usually relaxes through out the day and sets in a very flatering way. I have a new BBB and im going to experiment with it, I suposse it can work for me just nicely!

Inching Along
September 17th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Still loving brushing each morning with my boar bristle brush! My hair feels really soft.

Here is some info about BBB brushing from an interview with Dr. George Michael (https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/george-michaels-secret-for-long-hair.30666/#post-2113722) (posts 21-22, 23-26; the brushing section is in post 25):

BRUSHING
For a healthy head of beautiful hair you must treat, nourish, strengthen and stimulate the living part of the hair - the root. Brushing is an essential part of hair treatment. It keeps the scalp supple and accelerates the blood circulation which feeds the roots and distributes needed fatty acids along the length of the hair, assuring smoother combing without breaking, since lubricants also serve as moisturizers. We advise our clients to brush their hair as soon as they get up in the morning and only to use a natural bristle with a wooden base.

WHY BRUSH IN THE MORNING?
Brushing stimulates the circulation to the scalp and fluffs the hair. Don't think for a minute that this will make your hair more oily. Brushing actually distributes the oils to the ends of your hair. Which in turn is a natural protection for the hair against weather conditions and other stressful occurrences.

NEVER BRUSH WET HAIR!
Hair is more elastic when wet than when dry, and it will stretch when wet to the point of snapping if you use a brush. Instead use a wide tooth tortoise - shell comb. Start with the ends and slowly work your way up to the scalp. Never use a metal or rubber comb.

USE A NATURAL BRISTLE BRUSH WITH A WOODEN BASE
The natural bristles are closest to the hair structure itself, and therefore are less likely to produce tangles on long hair. The wooden base reduces static electricity.

METHOD
Stand with feet slightly apart and bend down from the waist until the hair falls in a curtain before your face. Brush your hair gently, starting from the roots at the nape of your neck and moving toward the end of the hair Follow each brush stroke with the open palm of your other hand. (This counteracts a build - up of static electricity). Start the first day with 20 brush strokes. Then, add 10 strokes each day. For oily condition or fine hair start with 10 strokes. Then add 5 strokes each day. Your goal: fifty brush strokes a day. Remember that morning brushing produces the best results!

turtlelover
September 17th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I'm only a ii, but for the life of me, NO boar bristle brush I've had -- cheap or nicer -- has really penetrated my hair. It kind of just smooths the top layer at best.

Ingrid
September 17th, 2015, 05:18 PM
I'm only a ii, but for the life of me, NO boar bristle brush I've had -- cheap or nicer -- has really penetrated my hair. It kind of just smooths the top layer at best.

Sectioning is the key to brushing success as a scalp massage tool. Otherwise the brush acts as a "polishing" tool where it just smooths down the hair (sorry for poor English).

My hair is wavy-ish, and I didn't really brush or comb until waist length, after which it started looking kind of messy. If I want to wear my hair up I definitely can't get away without combing and/or brushing because it's just so difficult to get it all into a bun :/

Groovy Granny
September 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM
In hot weather I tend to do this before a shampoo, otherwise my scalp gets greasy and the hair is flat.
But I do it faithfully in the Winter when my natural oils (I don't have much) calm the flyaways and ease the dryness.

Inching Along
September 17th, 2015, 07:03 PM

Sectioning is the key to brushing success as a scalp massage tool. Otherwise the brush acts as a "polishing" tool where it just smooths down the hair (sorry for poor English).

My hair is wavy-ish, and I didn't really brush or comb until waist length, after which it started looking kind of messy. If I want to wear my hair up I definitely can't get away without combing and/or brushing because it's just so difficult to get it all into a bun :/

In hot weather I tend to do this before a shampoo, otherwise my scalp gets greasy and the hair is flat.
But I do it faithfully in the Winter when my natural oils (I don't have much) calm the flyaways and ease the dryness.

turtlelover, I understand! The Conair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster BBB (http://www.target.com/p/conair-classic-wood-natural-shine-booster-hair-brush/-/A-13958189?clkid=490e3391N0f2f6216460dce1b15f0f828&lnm=81938&afid=Skimbit+Ltd.&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002) I bought at Target last year has been working for me. And Madora has said that the Conair and the Madora/George Michael BBB (http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html) work for her. (She has talked about it in the George Michael Philosophy? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61646&highlight=Dr.+George+Michael+Philosophy%3F) thread.) I would think that Ingrid is right about sectioning your hair if the brush isn't getting down to the scalp, but I don't need to do that (and I wouldn't know how! :)). I don't have many natural oils, either, Groovy Granny. But I have really been enjoying the results of using my BBB every morning; it's been about a month now. No flat or greasy results for me, though I need to fluff with my fingers underneath once I have stood upright and detangled and smoothed my hair with my comb.

After I brush, I stand upright and finger comb my hair down, and then I detangle and smooth with my MP rake comb. Those with longer hair are advised to hold their hair in two sections over their shoulders as they stand up, and the let the hair down gently before using a comb to detangle and smooth.

Neptune
September 17th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I'm a wavy and - guilty as charged - I TOTALLY brush and comb. I detangle before shower with comb, BBB at night before bed, and then brush it probably 10 times during the day (I normally wear it down). I tried CG years ago, and it did look great -- but too much work. I have now accepted the fact that my hair is never going to be straight OR curly haha and I just rock the constant bed hair look :)

Here's a photo of the brushed waves, and there are a couple older ones in my profile album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16809&d=1429291329

Inching Along
September 17th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I'm a wavy and - guilty as charged - I TOTALLY brush and comb. I detangle before shower with comb, BBB at night before bed, and then brush it probably 10 times during the day (I normally wear it down). I tried CG years ago, and it did look great -- but too much work. I have now accepted the fact that my hair is never going to be straight OR curly haha and I just rock the constant bed hair look :)

Here's a photo of the brushed waves, and there are a couple older ones in my profile album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16809&d=1429291329

Neptune, I love your hair! You have beautiful waves. Now I'm very curious what mine will do at that length! I have quite a while to wait. :) I tried Curly Girl also, but I found I didn't like all the product in my hair. Crunchy curls, ha-ha!

cat11
September 27th, 2015, 06:24 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19194&d=1443399672

I regularly comb...can't stand tangles. I took these pics today to see the difference and thought I'd share 😸

DollyDagger
September 27th, 2015, 06:27 PM

That hemline is so pretty on your hair :)

DollyDagger
September 27th, 2015, 06:27 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19194&d=1443399672

I regularly comb...can't stand tangles. I took these pics today to see the difference and thought I'd share ��

Looks pretty awesome in both pics I'd say! :)

cat11
September 28th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks DollyDagger! My hair definitely expands quite a bit after being combed. But other than that I don't think there's as dramatic of a difference as some people have.

Inching Along
September 28th, 2015, 10:26 AM

I regularly comb...can't stand tangles. I took these pics today to see the difference and thought I'd share ��

Ooo, cat11, your hair is beautiful! I like it both ways. :)

Granger Mane
September 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM
One of the best things since joining LHC - nixing up brushes! Cannot stand them. All brushes do is leave me with a brush full of snapped hair, head hair that looks like a cross between Hermione Granger's and Nicky's from Orange is the New Black (well, more than it usually does), and a pained scalp. So nay to them.

But I have to comb, and I have to comb dry. Any attempt to detangle in the shower is DOA (basically just becomes a mass of tight wet knots impossible to detect by sight that refuse to let a comb or fingers pass, no matter how much conditioner you add. Forget about CG Method).

cat11
September 28th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Inching Along!!

AutobotsAttack
September 28th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I only comb my hair after I get out the shower to detangle. And then a little bit as it's drying to evenly distribute my moisturizers and oils, then that's it. I get tangles because that's just the nature of my curly/wavy hair, but I tend to keep my hands out of my hair, and I cowashing daily, so the small tanglies just wash right out and I detangle once I get out the shower again.