PDA

View Full Version : Heatless Hairstyles

Caragh
July 20th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Hey Ladies !

I've been heat (and dye) free on my hair since July 2013 and my hair has really shown, my hair is growing much quicker and HEALTHIER! I'm so happy and even though it was hard it was sooo worth it :)

Are any of you lovely ladies also heat free or trying to be? How long have you been heat free and how do you keep yourself motivated? What are some of your favorite hairstyles?
Here are some of mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpUmbTAu_A

HaMalka
July 20th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I've been heat free most of my life. At first it was because my mother didn't allow it aside from extremely special occasions e.g. a family wedding or in the middle of winter my hair was wet and I needed to go out. I've kept it basically because I got into the habit of not using heat and when I found out it was damaging I was like Okay no more curling irons for special occasions and I’ll just wear a hat if I must go out with it wet.
For hairstyles I really like doing braids and buns of various sorts. If I want curls I do rag curls. And for waves different from my natural ones I do braid waves.

Madora
July 20th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Except for a few years when I was a toddler (3-4 years old) my hair has been heat free. My hair is always up and braided and my favorite hairstyle for many years was the one shown in my avatar.

Over the years I didn't need much in the way of encouragement as I've always loved long hair and enjoyed doing different things with braids. Hair boredom can be easily avoided if you learn more than just "the basics".

woodswanderer
July 20th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I've been heat free at least ten years. Prior to that I rarely used heat. I dont need any motivation. I quit drying my hair originally out of laziness, and stuck to it when I learned it was damaging. I never had the urge to curl or straighten. My mom curled my hair a couple times against my wishes when I was a kid and I always thought it was stupid because the curls fell out pretty quickly on me.

jacqueline101
July 20th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I've been heat free since 2011 not a lot of years. I do love having long hair always have. I've had long hair for years but it's been off and on.

kganihanova
July 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I've been mostly heat free for my whole (relatively short) life. Mainly I just put it up, I never really did anything with my hair. I do braids if I want braidwaves.

DaniJoy
July 20th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I have probably been heat free for about a year. I have hair that doesn't hold curl very well so using curling irons never did much for me anyway. If I want curls I do rag curls (mom did those on me when I was young all the time) or I use curl formers and just sleep with them in. I do a lot of braiding in my hair or buns. My hair feels a hundred percent softer and silkier with no heat.

Sharysa
July 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
My hair does great with braids and waves, so more often I sleep on damp braids to boost my natural ones.

Since my hair is also thick, half-up styles like the ones on Game of Thrones look great on me.

patienceneeded
July 20th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Heat free since 2010, when I joined LHC.

kpzra
July 20th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I have hot rollers I've used twice in 10 years and I only own a hair dryer for when hubby was active duty Army and had to shape his berets (he was in units that always wore them before Big Army got them). I usually just plan ahead and do rag curls or the like if I want curly. I live in Nevada and since it's summer my hair only take 10 minutes to dry outside (over 100° for the last 2 weeks).

StellaKatherine
July 20th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I've been heat free and long haired all my life. Tried couple of times to use a hair dryer when I was a teenager and I dislike it because it was making my hair extrimely freezy! I have a hair dryer at home ( 15 years old ) I think I used it a year ago once when needed to wash hair at winter time and needed to go outside before my hair was dry so I used a hair dryer and HATED IT!!!!

Sparklylady82
July 21st, 2014, 01:51 AM
Hey Ladies !

I've been heat (and dye) free on my hair since July 2013 and my hair has really shown, my hair is growing much quicker and HEALTHIER! I'm so happy and even though it was hard it was sooo worth it :)

Are any of you lovely ladies also heat free or trying to be? How long have you been heat free and how do you keep yourself motivated? What are some of your favorite hairstyles?
Here are some of mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpUmbTAu_A

Those are really cute styles! I love the idea of adding a ribbon or bow...don't know if I am too old for that! I'm almost 32 and a mom! haha! Who cares right?!?
Here are some styles that I am really loving right now... http://youtu.be/cL5Ld7bOenY
She adds an extension but of course I leave that part out!

Sparklylady82
July 21st, 2014, 01:52 AM
I forgot to mention that I have been heat free for 1.5 months! ha! Not too long but I already notice a difference in the way my hair feels!

Maid M
July 21st, 2014, 04:04 AM
I have only used a straightener once since christmas which for me is incredible since I was using it virtually every day prior to that. I am only now just starting to see the benefit, my hair is shinier and I don't need to cut it as often as I once did. Also, my hair is starting to regain its natural wave pattern back and is losing that slightly frazzled "damaged" hair look. I do use a diffuser several times a week on cool to encourage my waves but when I want a smoother more polished look I use velcro rollers. I know others have had problems with these but they work great in my hair and slip out very easily with no pulling.
I am so used to my waves and curls now that when I did straighten my hair I hated it. It just didn't look natural on me and I guess I recognise what it does now so its appeal has gone.