PDA

View Full Version : What's your reason for long hair?

PaddedPushUpBra
September 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I tried look for a previous thread and I could not find anything.

Anyway, what is your reason for long hair? And why do you want it to be as long as it is/will be?

Right now, my hair is about 18 inches long. It's fine, but there's a ton of hair. It has lots of layers and combined with my lack of artistic ability when it comes to my hands, I am unable to style it in even a simple pony tail. It's about 3 inches from BSL, but I'm hoping to grow it out to my elbows, which would be about 9 more inches. My hair is straight, with just a tiny bit of wave because of the layers, but if I let it air dry during the day, it tends to turn into frizz.

Reason: I've always loved longer hair on girls, it's much more feminine to me. When my hair is short, I tend to look a little manly and gross. Of course, the length my hair is out right now is fine. The reason I want to grow it out to my elbows is so that I can actually style it and have fun with it. I used to have long hair (down to my waist!) when I was in the second grade, but then I chopped it all off because it kept getting caught on things. I've been keeping my hair in better condition, trimming it when it starts to get stringy or too damaged, so hopefully I will be able to have long and beautiful hair soon.

psycho
September 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM
For me, I just love it :cloud9:

I love to play with it, I love to style it...heck, I even love searching for those pesky split ends :p

and yes, not only do I love the way it looks, I also can't get enough of other people's compliments on it (I need some artificial ego every once in a while!).

As for why I want to grow it out as long as it'll get...first, I like a personal challenge, especially ones that take time and dedication. Second, curiosity...I want to know if I have the genetics it takes for some great floor-length hair! Third, all the styling possibilities. Fourth, even more compliments. Already if I wear my hair up, I get complimented on my "beautiful thick" braid or bun, and if I wear it down there are so many amazed people that tell me how much they love it.

I'm really not sure what started it except that I had long hair when I was little, cut it to shorter than my chin around age 12, decided I didn't like the styles at awkward lengths (I've never used heat styling or coloring, permed once and regretted it) and decided I was tired of going in for haircuts, so I just let it keep growing.

Besides, I am pretty plain and firmly believe that my hair is my only notable characteristic, so I plan to make the most of it ;)

minkstole
September 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I have never had long hair, not even as a child. Yippie for growing up in the seventies and eighties! I have a wave/curl to my hair that doesn´t go well with short hair - I know this, because I have thried all sorts of haircuts above the colarbone. Longer hair goes better with my hairtype. If I had fine straight hair, I would atleast get bangs! Or even some Prince Valiant type of cut. It just in the cards, I guess.

paper
September 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I had long hair most of my life. Cut it at 40 and am now growing it long again. It makes me feel more like myself, then I did with short hair.

kunibob
September 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM
This may sound strange and totally crazy, but it is to mourn the passing of someone. There is a complex number of reasons that this is appropriate, and it is too soon to go into that much depth. What it comes down to is that this is the best way I can think of to honour her memory.

This will likely make it very difficult if it comes to a day when I decide to cut my long hair short, but in the meantime, growing my hair, feeling more feminine, getting in touch with my "hippie"/nature-loving side and having fun with it is a huge part of my healing process. I feel like I am celebrating and continuing on a part of the spirit that was lost.

Iylivarae
September 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I have long hair because I like it, I like the look, the hairstyles and so on... and I am just too lazy to have short hair.

Shanarana
September 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I like it, plain and simple. I find long hair easy to deal with than short hair. :)

Interesting screen name by the way.

winter_star
September 20th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I love long hair! My hair has always been reasonably long all my life and I enjoy growing it and caring for it. I think it is beautiful and feminine. I also have a few spiritaul reasons too.

I did have a shorter goal length but now it's extended to classic length or possibly beyond..

Gecko
September 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I've always loved it and wanted to have long hair, but never really did, so it's about time I grow it out! I can't see myself with short hair anymore I've always been upset with myself when I cut it shorter. So I'm finally going to get what I've always dreamed of having. I like taking care of my hair and I think long hair will suit me perfectly!

Arctic_Mama
September 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I love beautiful, healthy hair. I look better with it than without it. My husband has a STRONG preference for long, long hair and I adore updos. I want to be able to do all those stunning buns and braids I always see, but my hair is freakishly thick so it needs to be well beyond classic to do some of them. I want to see how long it can go. It's heavy and shiny and smells great and I know how soft and lustrous it can be... I want a full head of the healthy hair I have now. The vain part of me loves the reactions I get!

Gosh, so many reasons. It's feminine and it's mine.

Beatnik Guy
September 20th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Just because...? :wink:

Chrissy
September 20th, 2008, 06:10 AM
You have an interesting screen name. Why did you choose it? Sorry I know this is ot but it's really different; and looooooooooooooong.

Oh and I was never allowed to have long hair as a child. So that's why I want it long now. Also I think long hair is beautiful.

SHELIAANN1969
September 20th, 2008, 06:10 AM

This made me snort a little--

It sounds like something my grandma says when I ask why she did something, "just because" she says!!!:D

mira-chan
September 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I need a reason? :hmm:

Felt like it. :shrug:

Miss Hidley
September 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I had it long (elbow length) for years because that was the best way to manage the strong curl. I had it cut once it started to straighten out but I've regretted it ever since- its still too wavy for regular styles and the long hair thing has become part of my identity.

Brianna
September 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Because I think it's pretty. :)

Akiko
September 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I love long hair because

1) it's feminine
2) I don't need to go to a salon frequently
3) I can style in various ways

Eden Iris
September 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have long hair because I like it, I like the look, the hairstyles and so on... and I am just too lazy to have short hair.

What she said.

CaityBear
September 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I just like long hair...I also like short hair on me (chin length). I want to get to hip length because that's I think when it starts to look the best long.

I also like the ability to do lots with my hair when it's long.

RoseRedDead
September 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Has anyone told you how much of a wise-a** you are? :p

But, in all honesty, at this point, I agree with BG.

renarok
September 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Long hair is much easier to take care of for me. I spend less time messing with my hair now than I did with some of my shorter more "fashionable" styles. It is also considerably cheaper. My hair grows fast, so trims got pretty expensive. Also I spend much less on product now.

I wish I could say my husband likes it more, but when he met me I had short hair, so I think in his mind that is the "ideal" me. (Of course the ideal me was a lot thinner too:)) He is learning to like my length more since he knows it is something I want. He likes my updos. ;)

I have long hair for own enjoyment.

itsMEowKat
September 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
For me it's a part of being feminine. That's not to suggest that women with short hair aren't feminine, or that men with long hair are, but I just feel more "girly" when my hair is long. :)

Honey39
September 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
It feels nice. As my hair is growing, it feels so soft and sensual against my shoulders and back. I love catching sight of it in shop windows, and admiring it (I'm not vain, honest!!). It feels very feminine and very pretty to me.

Since I joined LHC, I have had consistenly good hair days. Growing my hair means that my hair looks good down, and a few inches longer will make it even better, as the weight should tame it a little bit more!

I love long hair, always have done, on me and on others (male and female). It's just a personal preference, I guess, but long hair is just sooooooooo delicious!

AJoifulNoise
September 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I started off growing it for a belief system. Now, I grow it the way I like because... I like long hair. And I look awful with short hair. shudder:

Patrycja
September 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
haha@your screen name....

anywho....I love how long hair feels on my shoulders and the sense of accomplishment that I get when it gets to my goal,waist.Knowing I did something and stuck to something for once in my life.

xrosiex
September 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Just because I love long hair.:) My hair has always been kinda long.

queenjord
September 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
i have long hair b/c

its like something i can take around with me everywhere, its like carrying something.. its like a tattoo that you can look at and smile and love and know its not going anywhere and you cant lose it. its good for my fashion and my creativeness. it completes my ridiculous style and fashion sense. i can always make it look good with anything. i think hair was meant to be long or something, it always looks better that way, like more proportionate to the body.. its fun to admire and know theres something beautiful on you on days you dont feel beautiful.. i like being conceited sometimes. i dont care. and i just think its beautiful . i have fun taking care of it and doing weird things like catnip and coconuts and stuff to it. and growing out all the short parts and making it look better eventually. id get bored with short hair. it takes a lot of patience and like.. caring for it to make long hair look good so i love seeing people with long hair and knowing that theyre a bit like me, and they can stick to something like i do. i love making it look awesome and having people stare or say stuff about it or give me compliments or laugh at how ridiculous i look. i love that its something thats mine that you cant control. its mine and i can do whatever i want with it whenever and its not leaving.
:)
idk how all that came out i just started typing what i thought

MadHatter
September 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I like how it looks. Short doesn't look good on me, it makes my face look long.
And, hair has this wonderful quality which emphasizes a woman's femininity, or a man's masculininity. I can't think of anything else that can do this.

ClareDee
September 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I want to put my hair in a cool bun.

Yeah, it's a very simple reason, and not all that substantial... but I watched this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpcdUv9xXA) video of a German woman doing a Chinese bun, and I thought to myself, quite profoundly: "WANT!"

I like having my hair tied away from my face, and found it quite annoying when my erstwhile pixie cut would hang down into my face when I was eating, or whip across my eyes in the wind. (And Ireland can be windy. It also likes to put wind and rain together).
All I could do was push it behind my ears repeatedly, which gave it that outwards-flip shape at the ends. I felt like a bit of a cartoon character... (think Betty of the Flintstones).

Of course I started tying it back in a ponytail as soon as it was long enough, but ponytails are boring. I want more. I want folds and twists and braids and all sorts of hair tomfoolery. I want people to look at my hair bun and say "How did you do that?". I want to give a smugly evasive reply.
So it's got to be long!!

Oh, and I feel that long hair will suit my personality more than a sharp, short cut did. I'm a wannabe-artist with a degree in English and a "career" in bookshops. Long hair is almost a requirement at this stage. I will consider mentioning it on my CV.
:p

Amoretti
September 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
It's kind of poetic, that's why. :)

c_adkins
September 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
For me I always felt that my hair was/is my best feature. I guess I think of it as my crowning glory. ;)

peachrose
September 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I've never had hair longer than it is now, in between APL and BSL... I just love the look of it. I like old fashioned styles and I like how classic long hair looks. Especially nowadays when everyone and their dog has some trendy bob it's nice to have something more timeless. I've always admired and envied women with long, long hair but was discouraged by how long it takes to grow. Now that I am taking care of my hair it is growing well and I know I will reach my goal, and love every minute of the in between stages...

HaiirPEACE
September 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
i decided i wanted long hair when i was watching a hippie documentary a long time ago. i loved how gorgeous and natural every girls hair looked

super_pudding
September 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I just really love long hair :D

Forlorn Reverie
September 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I've always wanted, and never had, waist length or longer hair. My hair has been as long as it is now (almost bsl), but never longer. So I'm again trying to grow it longer.

I've always thought that long hair was pretty, and easier for me to style. Short hair just takes too much fussing and product to look right when you have wavy hair. My ends always want to stick straight up or out if it's not at least shoulder length, so my hair is not pretty at all that short.

RavennaNight
September 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm growing long hair for (in order of importance to me):
1. I love long hair!
2. DH loves long hair.
3. I've never had hair longer than it is now. From here on, its all a new adventure for me.
4. Its a learning experience for me with patience. I tend to be awefully impatient. I think this is why every once in a while I realize I got somewhere but never stopped to enjoy and absorb the ride there, and in the end it all feels like a waste of time. I guess kind of like "the fun is in the journey?"

Arctic_Mama
September 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I like how it looks. Short doesn't look good on me, it makes my face look long.
And, hair has this wonderful quality which emphasizes a woman's femininity, or a man's masculininity. I can't think of anything else that can do this.

Oh my goodness, you're right! I'd never thought of it that way but long hair on men, especially when it's naturally grown and not cut in some weird style, always seem extremely masculine to me. Not girly at all! It does seem to emphasize both sexes!

Anje
September 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
More or less because I felt like it.

Ever since I became old enough to be allowed to take charge of my own hair, I've gone to the salon as infrequently as possible. When I found this place, I thought "well, I guess I don't need to cut it off at all."

So, I haven't. I've trimmed my hair a few times, but I'm finding as it gets longer that it feels like an affirmation of my femininity. It also has a nice feeling of quiet rebellion, as I'm getting to something that's abnormally long enough that people notice my hair's length rather than only its color. There's something appealing about the idea of having freakishly long hair, which I can unleash upon an unsuspecting public as I see fit.

Suldrun
September 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I have wanted long hair since I can remember. I rarely cut my hair untill I was in my mid 20's but it never grew past BSL, it always broke off. Most of my friends ( and boyfriends) hair was almost to waist and one was classic. I really wanted longer hair but mine just would not grow.

I gave up trying to grow it and I was bored because I had always had it the same. I chopped it off and began dyeing. For years I changed styles and colors untill I got very ill and became chemically sensitive. I chopped off all my color and started with virgin hair at pixie length and just grew it. I stumbled on TLHC about a year after I discovered Henna and I decided to see if I could grow longer the BSL with better care. I am now just about as long as I have ever had it so we will see what my real terminal is.

rapunzhell13
September 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ya know, this is a question I should ask myself much more often. My hair grows pretty quickly (although sometimes it doesn't feel like it!) and I don't want to pay for frequent trims, not to mention having to keep an appointment with a hairdresser once a month (I don't like going to hairdressers, the whole experience makes me cringe). I use less product when I'm growing out my hair, because it behaves much better when it's not freshly washed. I dread my freshly washed hair, it's so bouffy! I'm looking forward to up-dos, I loves me some up-dos. I want to grow it out to its maximum potential. I want to prove to myself that I can!

Chromis
September 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Because I like it and I'm curious to see how long it can get!

Also, aren't all push up bras padded?!

HairyCarrie
September 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
For me it's a new adventure. I've always wanted long hair, but never had the patience to grow it. I have pictures of long haired women, scrapbook items with them, but haven't had it myself for a very long time.

I've always perceived the care of long hair to take buckets of time... now I know that's probably not true. Even if it is the case, I have those buckets now and at least in my world, there are very few long hairs around me, so I want to be the exception to the rule.

EbonyCurls
September 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I've never had long hair but always loved the look of it. I never had the patience to grow it so I never considered it. Now that I've considered it I have no choice but to be patient (if that makes sense).

I also like all the different styles/things long hair can represent when I choose: elegance, romance, wildness, youthfulness, classical, unique, old-world, new-age, etc...

Country Cowcurl
September 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
i feel naked without it!! i love it because it's so luxurious.......

Kleis
September 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have a hard time coming up with a reason. It just *is*. So I guess my answer is simply, why not have long hair?

skeena
September 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
1. Too cheap for haircuts/maintenance. Long hair is just easier.

2. I need it long enough for ponytails and buns. I need to have options to pull my hair back.

3. I want to see how long I can grow it before I get sick of it and cut it (I've already decided I'd do layers first before a big chop if I do get sick of it).

My hair actually looks best at right below the shoulders to about armpit length. It suits my face at those lengths ... any longer and my face looks too long.

sahiba
September 21st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Actually I am from a country where long hair is an obsession and it was almost taken for granted that "good girls have long hair". Though times have changed but I think deep inside we still prefer long hair. As for me, I don't cut my hair... so long hair is the only choice I've got. And frankly, I love this choice.:)

Miss Murphy
September 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I like to wear my hair up, so I need long hair to begin with. As my hair is rather thick, I need more length to do basic styles, so I want to grow until I reach waist :)

rubyredslippers
September 21st, 2008, 01:49 AM
I've always loved long hair, though mine's never been longer than BSL. I'm pretty old-fashioned at heart, and romantic, and long hair has always felt like the right manifestation for that aspect of me, somehow.

Plus I've always loved the feeling of it, draping down my bare back, and the versitility of all the different ways to tie it up. All those pretty styles!

bte
September 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Ever since I can remember I wanted to have long hair, and even at the age of 7 or 8, I knew that one day I would grow to terminal and stay there. Unfortunately, the opportunity didn't come until I was 39, but better late than never.

eml298
September 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
I am very hot-natured, so I need to be able to pull my hair back, which necessitates at least medium-length hair. Then, I just find long hair gorgeous...not that short hair can't be, but long hair just seems more sensual to me, personally.

NiAosSi
September 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
My husband loves long hair!I love caring for it and other's admiring it. I had long hair all my life. During my pregnancy with my daughter I had waist length and thick virgin hair. When I gave birth I had chopped it to a bob and dyed it! The horror! Been doing that ever since. Well I last cut my hair back to a bob July 2007 and don't plan on making that mistake EVER again.

inertia
September 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
I like the way long hair looks when it's down. I really enjoy wearing my hair in ridiculous styles. I'm currently into the Marie Antoinette look and retro '70s/'80s styles so I have heavily layered hair with the longest parts around my upper hips. It's a convenient length for looking long while still (at least for me) being able to withstand some styling abuse. I'm not trying to find out my terminal length, I just want to have fun with my hair.

But there is a limit to my patience. I've had TBL hair before (no layers, just fairy tale ends) and it drove me crazy. I dislike my appearance with buns or braids and at TBL I had to wear them frequently to keep my hair from interfering with my life. I got so frustrated that I chopped it all off to SL. This time I'm trying to keep it lightweight with layers in an effort to prevent an attack of "too much hair" rage, and I probably won't let it get too much longer than HL.

EbonyCurls
September 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
I am very hot-natured, so I need to be able to pull my hair back, which necessitates at least medium-length hair. Then, I just find long hair gorgeous...not that short hair can't be, but long hair just seems more sensual to me, personally.

ok, I have NO idea why I read "hot-natured" and "need to be able to pull my hair back" as "I have a bad temper" and "I need to be able to pull my hair back for when I get into fights."
lol, ignore me haha.

Islandgrrl
September 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Because I can.

Besides, what would I do with all the fabulous hairtoys if I had short hair????

Reptilia
September 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
I love the look of it. Just the way it moves. It's prettier IMO, feminine.

misstwist
September 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
I kept my hair short for a long time (SL and shorter) and concentrated on cultivating the curl. The shorter my hair is the curlier, I am a solid 3c at chin-length.

But whenever I was aware of myself in dreams I had long hair. I took this as a sign that I should have long hair so I quit trimming it back. It's now only wavy with a few ringlets and I miss the curls, but I treasure the length and have no plans to go back.

BTW, my husband doesn't miss the curls. The only fight we've ever had was when he made an off the cuff comment that he doesn't think I look nice with curly hair, that the hair isn't touchable, he can't run his fingers through it. He had NO IDEA how explosive a reaction that would get because we don't do explosive. He no longer comments on my hair at all.

ladystar
September 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
I just the way it looks and feels...

MsBubbles
September 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
My whole life until age 40 I believed I simply wasn't lucky enough to be born with good, long-hair genes. I found this site and realised I was wrong! So I'm like a kid again at least where my hair is concerned and I'm going for it now come hell or high water. I had BSL length several times before for a year at most. No more secretly resenting other women with waist length or longer hair. Now that I have discovered I was probably wrong about my genes I am so excited! Why wouldn't I grow it? I'm kinda sad I didn't do it in my 20s and 30s.

Buddaphlyy
September 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Because I can have it. And I've always wanted it.

Tapioca
September 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Simple answer? I look horrible with short hair. I'm 6'4", and short hair only makes me look taller. Besides, I like having people remember me for being the gal with the nice hair, not the tall one.

sneakybea
September 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
I keep my hair long because I think it sets me apart. There must be millions of women out there with brown hair and blue eyes, but how many of them have waist length hair? Plus I love to study history and read fantasy for fun, and both of those things just seem to go with long hair!

Duchess of Erat
September 23rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
I haven't had hair shorter than chin length bob since I was 4 or 5. I've never even thought about going shorter than that, as I wouldn't feel feminine with short hair.

I just 'forgot' to go to the hairdressers' for a few years, and at some point noticed that it was getting annoying. This time, instead of cutting back, I decided to google for hairstyles, found some that work for me (still learning more) and decided to keep growing. I'm sort of trying to see how long my hair will become.

Molster
September 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Because I like it, and because I'm a part-time historical interpretor.

It's easier to 'do' all the different eras I have to portray more convincingly with styles using my own hair, rather than wigs, which are never quite convincing unless you spend a fortune on them.

wintersun99
September 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
My reason is quite selfish - I like it that way :D

Starr
September 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Because I like it and I'm curious to see how long it can get!

Also, aren't all push up bras padded?!

Not all of them are. . . balconettes for instance.:D

Why do I have long hair? Because it looks good on me.

Amara
September 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Because it's different for me - my hair had never been longer than BSL before the end of 2006, and it was rarely that long - I was used to shorter bobs or boy-cuts.

So, this is a new experience, and I love new experiences.

I love the way it feels - soft and weighty.

ole gray mare
September 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
It suits my lazy nature

BirdieGirl
September 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I love long hair bc it looks really feminine to me. It's amazing the amount of attention you get by having long hair. My hair before was a little past my bra strap and I would get hit on all the time - once I chopped it to below my ears, it was like I was invisible. - that's sounds pretty superficial - but oh well! :)

NeilTheFuzz
September 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
The reasoning behind my long hair is very simple. I used to have a number 1 buzz cut all over my head, and I hated it, I felt I looked kind of thuggish. At one point I never really had a goal to grow long hair on perpose, it was more a "see how it goes thing". So I guess another perpous was as an interesting experiment.

Neil

gav616
September 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
mine, metal, simple

always had long hair, its me, its my personality.

hi all.

Gladtobemom
September 23rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
1. I like the way it feels.

2. My hair is scary weird frizzy, curly multiple textures when it's short. so It just behaves better long.

3. I've always liked myself better with long hair.

Bronwyn Grace
September 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I just like how it looks on me. :) I have had short hair, and it just isn't me, you know? Long hair suits my personality, and not a lot of people have long hair, so it just seems different, I guess. ^.^ Oh, I like how it feels as well.

catkin
September 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
it makes me feel beautiful
just because ;)
very few people have it longer, so i guess to be different

catkin
September 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
it makes me feel beautiful
just because ;)
not many other people have longer hair, so i guess to be different.

PeaceWithTrees
September 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think hair is beautiful! I enjoy taking care of my hair and it has become a very important part of my womanlyness :D. I think that Long hair is romantic and stunning. It is also pretty different for someone in our modern age to have very long healthy, and nautural hair because people do so many things to their hair to keep up with the fashions. I guess it is my way of being unique in my community, and it is nice having this sort of underground support and friendship with the few other people who want the same thing. I am a very natural simple person, and It is not in my personallity to keep up with the lastest hair trends. I think long hair is such a timeless classic and elegant style.:)

Sieren
September 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Sieren's Reasons for Growing Long Hair
So I can feel the wind blow through it...
<3
And so I can do fun hair styles, and because I am a faery ;) and long, flowing hair and mythical creatures just seem to go together! hehehe :D

...I'm not quite there yet, though...:( My hair is still only about 5" at its longest...*sigh*of jealousy at all you people's beautiful loooonnnnngggg hair...

feralnature
September 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I lost my super powers when I had it cut short.

I am growing it back out to suit my feral nature.

ccmuffingirl
September 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
IDK, there's just something about it. It may sound silly, but I've always just wanted to walk down the street on a windy day and have super long hair that blows hither and tither. Also I think long hair is very versatile. You can pull of a wide range of styles from understated to sophisticated. It's just great all around :).

didrash
September 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM
For me it is a bit hard to explain. It is a statement of life credo, if you wish. I believe that dreams, fantasy and fairytales are actually real in some other dimention, and I believe that the values of right and wrong that they uphold are something to live by. Unfortunately this is something forgotten in the modern world. So a long hair which is a must for most fantasy or fairytale characters is like a symbol of the entite fantasy/dreamworld for me, and my way of showing my belief, even only to myself.

rockkcor
September 25th, 2008, 02:06 AM
In my case it has to do something with sexuality... I love it long on me and on other sex, longer the better!
So just let it be hair, hair - everywhere! As long as I can grow it!
:)

sexyjacksparrow
September 25th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I am just growing mine because i think long hair looks pretty. Also I was never allowed to have my hair longer than shoulder length as a child (and I had to fight for that much!) so there's a bit of 'just cuz I can' about it too. Though ironically, it seems to be struggling to get past shoulder length grrrr.

I don't have a specifc end goal in mind - my mind keeps changing anywhere between BSL and hip length. I'd like it long enough to be able to be more versatile with styles and to have a bit of 'wow' factor without being cumbersome.

Endelva
September 25th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I always liked long hair... It seems romantic and beautiful beyond compare to me. I wasn't allowed to have hair past shoulder length as a child, because my mother didn't want to take time in order to take care of it, but since it's grown past the shoulders I actually thing it's easier to handle, the curls are less messy and don't go to all directions [it's now slightly past BSL when it's curly, longer when it dries braided]. My boyfriend also has the same views about hair, he loves long, romantic, fairytale-like hair. Actually, we both love period movies, fantasy movies, early music [music from the baroque, renaissance and medieval era performed on authentic insturments in a historically informed manner], history of art... We're that type of geek. :P So it was kind of inevitable that we would both have long hair. I'm growing out mine as long as they can get, and my boy is doing the same [although his hair is more curly, more fragile, less thick and more fine, and shorter than BSL].

aprilmay
September 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Long hair makes me feel young, attractive, and incredibly feminine. I only wear make-up on special occasions and I usually wear casual clothes so I feel my long hair is my stand out feature.

mjm4
September 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM
my reason is to fully be satisfied with my body... and to regain a little and more than what i previously had (SL).

the most depressing part of my body is the har on my head... so bad that i wear scarfes to weddings and make the excuse that i was too lazy... my hair has also makes me cry and think of how easy it is to be male several times a month (THAT BAD :() so i thought: "instead of sitting on your fat arse, get up and do something about it!"...

and then i found LHC :cheese::cheese::cheese:

sexyjacksparrow
September 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the forums, mjm!

Teakafrog
September 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Many reasons, not the least of which is that I am lazy. I hate hate hate spending an hour every morning doing my hair. Now that it's long, I just air dry, and twist up in a bun. Looks great, simple and easy. And when I let it down, my hubby loves my long gorgeous curls. ;)

Marlowe
September 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'm growing out my hair partially because I've had short hair long enough and it's time for a change and also because women with hair as short as mine has been are treated very nastily by clerks in stores and the like here. I don't care if a random person on the street thinks I'm a freak but when clerks follow me around in stores as if I were a shoplifter (or just plain eject me from the store) or hand items to me while touching me as little as possible (imagine someone holding an item out with two fingers at arms length here) I get a wee bit grumpy.

Meli
September 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have always felt some kind of attraction to the past, and I wanted to have long hair just because women used to have that back then. I also wanted to have hair like a fairytale princess... :o And there is of course the fact that I love my hair more the longer it is - something I discovered early in my hair growing journey.

As I got older, I developed an interest in medieval/viking ages, especially about fashion/clothing/textile techniques. This interest made me even more determined to have long hair as I started to make gowns and visit fairs, and long hair, IMHO, gives a more authentic feeling at such events.

Janka
September 26th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Well, I've been through ear/chin short to BSL, and the longer the hair, the less bad hair days! Simply hide the hair in a claw or even a pony tail, no fussing around and thinking how thin the hair is to look good in a bob...
I want to be able to do different hair styles and some wow-ones for special ocasions with my own hair ;) without faking...
Another reason for me to go from under BSL to waist lenght is that I think breasts covered with hair is really sexy... And hubby probably won't object :D

Strongnlong
September 26th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Because awesomely long natural LOOSE afro textured hair is an unusual sight...& i'm an unusual type of woman. :)

DarkChocolate
September 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I love it. I makes me feel more like myself:) I love the feeling of hair brushing against my back.
My hair is almost like silk so it feels very nice:)

magpielaura
September 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I've never had short hair (not since I was a baby anyway!) and know that if I ever cut it short I would be devastated - glad I never tried it out though I've been tempted a few times. I love having longer hair than most of the people I know...Exept now I've joined LHC I've become slightly obsessed by the desire for more and longer hair!

heidi w.
September 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Because....

do I need a reason?

I have 'reasons' I thought of after the fact...but there's something more...I have no words for it. I know what started it.

heidi w.

Speckla
September 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I love long curls. That's the long and short of it!;)
________
Chrysler Powertech Engine (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine)

Beatnik Guy
September 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Because....

do I need a reason?

Hey, Heidi -- I think I said "just because" about 10 pages ago too. :cheese:

wintersun99
September 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I lost my super powers when I had it cut short.

This is the best answer yet! And I agree with ya. :toast:

HairColoredHair
September 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
.... I stopped cutting it.

kittymomma
September 26th, 2008, 11:35 PM
For some reason I gravitate towards men with perfect teeth (never dated a man with a cavity it turned out) and great hair. (Natural selection, anyone? Too bad I don't want kids.) I feel like I have to live up to my own expectations.

Also, growing up in the era of the Breck girl, I'm jealous of thick-hairs. I have hair envy, I'll admit it! :wannabe:

Isblå
September 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Because I can! And then comes all the other reasons: I like it, it's different, i find long hair beautiful... But in the end it comes back to I can and it's mine. Simple.

Kiraela
September 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I feel better with longer hair. More courageous. I told dbf the other day that I was using my braid as an 'artificial backbone'... I'm more able to stand up for myself, because my hair gives me a sense of self worth.

Besides that, I like the way my hair feels on my skin - the more hair I have, the more skin it can dance across when I let it loose.

It reminds me of the past, and all the mistakes I've made on the journey to who I am.

I've always loved the look of long hair, and I want a tailbone length braid too, dangit.

Neysa
September 27th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I have a few reasons for longer hair. First, I look utterly daft with short hair. Second, one cannot possibly do a Renaissance (period correct of course!) hair style at my wedding with shorter hair. And I'm very vain. I love the look of the blonde colour on it, even if every now and again, I wish the sun didn't bleach all the reddish hues out.

teawitch
September 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I want long hair because I just love the look of it, and I love it when it blows in the wind (cheesy, I know). Plus, it's a fun little challenge for myself to be patient with my hair until it's long. And as an added bonus, my fiance loves long hair too. :eyebrows:

AnneAdeline
September 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I love the look of long hair, but also the patience that is involved to get there. I can be an impatient person at times and it is difficult to not cut it, bleach it, and dye it purple on a whim. Whenever I think about doing something drastic, I just remind myself how long it has taken to get here.
Plus, long hair makes me feel more beautiful. I think it complements the shape of my face (especially low buns).

I feel better with longer hair. More courageous. I told dbf the other day that I was using my braid as an 'artificial backbone'... I'm more able to stand up for myself, because my hair gives me a sense of self worth.

I like the sound of this. Great that it helps you stand up for yourself more. :flower:

maliha
September 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I used to have very thick gorgeous hairs,,but one unlucky day I went to had a simple trim and came back home with a disaster my mother almost cried and since then i had this thing in my heart I am gonna bring that time back...(My mom did everything for my hairs and after that i have this guilt inside and to overcome it I WANT TO GROW MY HAIRS LONG AND HEALTHY)

akurah
September 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
My hair has a tendency to piss me off, and the shorter it is (well, short of being nearly bald), the more it pisses me off for being a hassle. The longer it is, the easier it is to tie up and keep out of the way, thus, it won't be pissing me off.

Plus I want to do cool hairstyles. Otherwise I'd probably keep my hair uber short.

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well, my husband really loves long hair (long hair in the past for me was BSL, the length my hair had been for some time). I started growing it longer and really liked the way it looked, then finding this forum has just spurred me on even more to have healthy, long hair.

I also like the variety that long hair gives with the amount of updo's available.

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I've tried it at many diff. lengths & it's actually more manageable longer. I'm also curious about my terminal length.

misspriss
March 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hey, Heidi -- I think I said "just because" about 10 pages ago too. :cheese:

*blinks* oh yes. I am always forgetting that I set my options to the most posts on a page. This is page 3 in my book!

Well, I am growing my hair because I want it! I've always loved long hair, and I was happiest with my hair when it was long before. It was *me* and I'm trying to get back there. It just feels right.

Nocturnal
March 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I don't need/ have a reason. It just happens. :)

Laurenji
March 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It also has a nice feeling of quiet rebellion, as I'm getting to something that's abnormally long enough that people notice my hair's length rather than only its color. There's something appealing about the idea of having freakishly long hair, which I can unleash upon an unsuspecting public as I see fit.

This is exactly the reason I'm growing my hair. :) It's nowhere near long enough yet, but someday I hope to be able to "unleash it on an unsuspecting public as I see fit". It's going to take me a while, though. I need a good exercise in patience.

kimi
March 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I never really thought "Why". There are all sorts of reasons, already stated here, that make eminent sense. I like the way it looks, feels, it's always been long(er), more variety in how to deal with it, just - well, because. And yes, it's sort of a substitute backbone!:)

lynnala
March 31st, 2009, 12:23 AM
My hair is very thin and lightweight, it doesn't hang well on it's own when it's short, and I hate having to 'do things' to it for it to look good.

Plus, I'm 52 now, and I've always thought that older women looked much better with long hair. Not that I consider myself old at all. But you know what I mean.

Samitra
March 31st, 2009, 12:37 AM
I want it to grow long because I'm curious, I want to see how long it can be. And I was fed up with short layered hair, it was just too much work to style it in the morning.

hanne jensen
March 31st, 2009, 12:46 AM
There are several reasons I'm growing my hair long. DH loves long hair. I'm too cheap to keep going to a salon to maintain a short style. I'm curious as to how long my hair can be. Long hair is uncommon here in Denmark and I want to be a little different. I'm lazy. Long hair is much easier to care for. Extremely long hair is flattering to my face.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 31st, 2009, 02:57 AM
Long hair is definitely sexier and makes a woman look much younger.

Apart from that, for some reason, i love styling and playing with long hair... Now that i have short hair, i really miss spending hours setting all that hair in rollers :rolleyes:

dulce-de-leche
March 31st, 2009, 05:37 AM
Because I love long hair and I want to show my daughter everything I know about growing long beautiful healthy hair.

sagebabies
March 31st, 2009, 07:50 AM
I want long hair because it is beautiful on women. I have always had longish hair, and when my first daughter was 2 it was almost to my waist. But for some reason I wanted to feel young again so I got it cut.

Now I realize I just feel good and right in long hair and I am growing it out again....but with better knowledge of how to take care of it and treat it right. I can't wait for it to get so long that I can do beautiful braids and up-do's again.

My husband has long hair, too. His is red and curly and stops growing when it reaches his shoulder blades, but I love his long hair.

KajiKodomo
March 31st, 2009, 07:57 AM
I keep my hair long because it is beautiful to me aesthetically (on males and females). I've been told that I look good with long hair and short hair, but I've always preferred it longer. It's easier to take care of and has much more versatility to me. :D

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
This question has always had a lengthy answer for me...there are SO many reasons I love having long hair!!

~The way it looks and feels
~Getting random compliments from strangers (not the creepy kind, the "omg look how LONG it is" positive kind)
~Feeling like a princess from a fairytale
~Getting to do cool braided and non-braided updos
~Standing out from the herd of BSL-and-above who live in my area.......

.......and those are but a scant few of the reasons I love it. :D

Barefootgirl
March 31st, 2009, 08:52 AM
a simple answer: because long hair is me

Fireweed
March 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
I love every aspect of it.

ShaSha
March 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Short hair was too expensive for me. All the hairdresser bills. :(

Short hair needed a lot of daily styling with my hair type. Longer hair can just be up and forgotten about.

So it takes longer to dry out than short hair, I have the time since I don't need to wash it in the mornings (like I had to do with my short hair).

And if longer hair takes more conditioning and care, it still takes less time and money than the hairdressers for my short hair. :p

Spike
March 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I've always loved the look and sensual aspects of long hair. I cut it last time because I was getting a convertible, and thought of myself as "all thumbs" when it came to styling. (Plus I just realized I cut my hair at various pivot points in my life--graduating high school, reaching midlife--times when I'm leaving one phase and moving on, from child to youth, from youth to adult. I'll let you know if I decide to bob upon becoming a crone.)

Having rethought it (hairstyles take practice, just like anything else) and having found this board (yay for the Second Incarnation of the Hairstyle Idiots! I'll be goobering along with y'all next year!!!) and having accesss to the 'web and seeing how relatively SIMPLE some of the fancy updos really are . . . I'm growing it back again.

Bestest toy EVAH, one's own hair.