PDA

View Full Version : Love hair compliments/attention?

Wolfie
July 18th, 2014, 01:26 PM
From what I've seen on the forum, many don't like people flocking to you just for your hair. I do understand ignorant comments but I am going to be honest: I love people playing and commenting about my hair! It makes me giddy when girls come and tell me I have beautiful hair! Or people comment that I have long hair.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same as in the love getting hair attention. To me it makes my day even if I do act a bit awkward lol.:o

chen bao jun
July 18th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I love hair compliments and will take them when I get them. Of course I am longing to be complimented for having LONG hair, but that never happens, I just get compliments on curls, which is nice, but I am used to this so blase. I will drop dead with happiness the day someone says ANYTHING that about my hair being long, even an insult would make me happy!
The other day a friend sort of implied my hair was too long for an older lady, I was quite thrilled, even though she didn't say so directly. I think I would have hugged her if she had!.

AmyBeth
July 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Yes I love it. Never happens. I get complimented on an updo or a hairtoy but never on my actual hair. I would love to have my hair played with-it is the only thing I miss about going to the salon. Now my hair is always up so it doesn't ever get any play time at all.

woodswanderer
July 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I like it just the same as getting a compliment on jewelry or clothing. I understand intellectually that some people hate any sort of attention, but at the same time I don't exactly [I]get[I] it.

I don't wear my hair down in hopes of getting extra attention. I just do it because I think it is my best look...no different than putting on makeup to look nice...also sometimes the weight gets to me when I have it up. At the same time, if someone does give me a compliment, I like it as much as the average person I suppose.

I got a wonderful compliment from a lady at the fair selling me cheese curds. She said my makeup and hat were so beautiful. I was shocked because I do get compliments on hair or jewelry enough that it doesn't seem odd to me, but never on makeup. I don't go to much trouble with makeup...just concealer, powder and Burt's bees lip shimmer usually, but that day I had eyeshadow and my new red lipstick. It made my day...plus...I had cheese curds. :cheese:

martyna_22
July 18th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Compliments are really nice :)
Ever since I hennaed, quite a few people have told me I look good in this color. And one of my friends said she couldn't keep her eyes off my hair :o Another one compared me to disney princessess on several occasions.
I am quite insecure, not quite as much as I used to be, but any positive feedback I welcome with open arms :)

spidermom
July 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I like it, too. So far, it has never bothered me to have someone touch my hair, except when a young man with Down's syndrome grabbed fistfuls and didn't want to let go.

SkyChild
July 18th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I'm thrilled when work colleagues see me with my hair down (it's normally up at work) and go "It's getting so long!" (even though it's not even APL yet)
I will definitely be one of those that waits with an updo and releases it at dramatic moments XD Gawd I'm such a diva.

Not such a fan of people touching. But then I'm not touchy-feely generally, unless it was someone close to me and they asked first.

Nadine <3
July 18th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I'm a dive, I love compliments! My favorite was when a young woman with shoulder length bleached hair came up to me in the hair care section of Walmart and said "wow, your hair is SO shiny and pretty! Do you mind sharing what you do to get it that way?" I had a field day telling her that I wash as little as possible and used cooking oils on itand no heat. You should have seem her face, she looked absolutely disgusted. She took one last look at my hair, thanked me, and took off. My mom asked me later what I said to her. She saw the exchange and said she looked spooked LOL

ladylowtide
July 18th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I love hair compliments! It makes me very happy! Especially if its a compliment on long hair, with a compliment about it looking healthy/shiny.

makeminea99
July 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I'm a dive, I love compliments! My favorite was when a young woman with shoulder length bleached hair came up to me in the hair care section of Walmart and said "wow, your hair is SO shiny and pretty! Do you mind sharing what you do to get it that way?" I had a field day telling her that I wash as little as possible and used cooking oils on itand no heat. You should have seem her face, she looked absolutely disgusted. She took one last look at my hair, thanked me, and took off. My mom asked me later what I said to her. She saw the exchange and said she looked spooked LOL

Heheheheh!! Love it, people are always amazed when I tell them how mine got so long: "I don't cut it very often." :) It IS nice to get compliments, though. Especially off little kids, on the school run one morning I wore my hair in a rope twisted crown braid, and a friend told me her son (aged 3 at the time) had said of me "look Mummy that lady's got princess hair!" GET IN!! :)

ravenreed
July 18th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I get compliments from strangers quite often, especially if I wear my hair loose. However, I have gotten nice comments even with just a simple side braid. I get comments just as often on my hair as on what I wear in my hair, which is extra lovely.

queenovnight
July 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Some people just don't know how to take a compliment. I personally love hair compliments though.

heartgoesboom
July 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I love hair compliments! That's why I was irrationally irritated today. I have bcl length hair in a low ponytail. And the student had coarser and curler hair than me and it was down and wl. One of my coworkers kept saying how much hair she has and how it's longer than mine. I was a little upset. Hahahahaha. Ugh I swear my hair has thinned over the years. Oh well. Like I said, irrational.

jacqueline101
July 18th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I love it when my man compliments my hair. I don't get a lot of attention due to my hair. I don't wear hair toys or fancy hair dos.

Mainesongbird
July 18th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I love hair compliments....I try hard to make it look nice and I appreciate when people notice! =D

Seeshami
July 18th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I think my favorites are when they whisper "Oh my god her hair is long"

I want to whisper back "I know people with more"

Entangled
July 18th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Compliments reassure me. I am irrationally excited when people mention my hair positively, because it's certainly not long enough to get noticed around here. I also enjoy it when people recognize my updos, because they take effort to learn and to look neat. I guess it's comforting to know that my efforts are being noticed, because (I think this is a girl thing) I'm often very hard on myself about my looks and hair condition. So, yes, I really enjoy hair compliments.

trolleypup
July 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Love the compliments and attention. Touching by permission.

Madora
July 18th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Yes, it is so nice to receive a sincere compliment on my hair...so long as you keep your hands to yourself. Asking permission first is a big plus with me.

Becs
July 18th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I absolutely love when people compliment my hair. However, like trolleypup and Madora, I prefer when they ask for permission before touching. I find it a bit rude when people just reach out and grab my hair without even asking

AspenSong
July 18th, 2014, 07:29 PM
While I'd prefer that strangers not mess with my hair, at least not without asking...I would welcome compliments. :) I wear my hair up so much, maybe that's why...but I don't tend to hear much on mine.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 18th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I do love hair compliments - not that I get many IRL as I always have my hair up. Looking forward to one day unleashing the beast and wowing everybody!

Larki
July 18th, 2014, 07:44 PM
My hair isn't long enough to get many compliments on the length, although I have gotten a few - always from girls with short hair (shoulder or shorter). I get compliments on the color fairly often, though, and I really appreciate them. I don't really know how to take compliments though, so I always feel kind of awkward about it.

Wolfie
July 18th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I personally tend to be awkward but if you talk about hair I'll probably open up a lot quicker. And I do prefer for someone to ask permission to touch my hair but I love the feeling of having my hair played with.

MINAKO
July 18th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I more of a person who gets the ego boost in front of a mirror, but i don't mind a nice comment, or even an ignorant or malicious one (at least it sets yo apart, lol).
However, don't effin' touch it, uuuh... aise fro my mom, grandma and best friend it's something i can easily get pissed about.

chen bao jun
July 18th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I agree with the compliment but don't touch without permission. I get my hair touched without my permission way too often, I think curls affect people like this.
As for actually playing in my hair, I only want my hubby to do this, it seems kind of intimate to me. Well, I wouldn't mind my mom playing in my hair, except that she wants to BRUSH.

Nimia
July 18th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I never got compliments on my hair until I started dyeing it red, at which point odd middle-aged men started coming out of the woodwork to drool over it. Really, it's been weird. The red seems to mess with the brains of a certain species of male, in grocery stores especially. I even got the icky "butter rub" on the small of my back from one, while I was innocently spooning up olives from the olive bar.

But despite how bizarre those encounters can be, and as much as I dance around the comments about how "you redheads have to stay out of the sun" (as I said, I dye; I do not have a redhead's complexion) I still like the compliments. I enjoy telling them to my husband and seeing him fluff his feathers like an angry duck trying to guard his mate. :)

kyle_f
July 19th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Compliments are nice but generally I don't like attention because of my hair and I never know how to respond to things people say, but maybe that's a guy thing.

Sparklylady82
July 19th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I like it just the same as getting a compliment on jewelry or clothing. I understand intellectually that some people hate any sort of attention, but at the same time I don't exactly [I]get[I] it.

I don't wear my hair down in hopes of getting extra attention. I just do it because I think it is my best look...no different than putting on makeup to look nice...also sometimes the weight gets to me when I have it up. At the same time, if someone does give me a compliment, I like it as much as the average person I suppose.

I got a wonderful compliment from a lady at the fair selling me cheese curds. She said my makeup and hat were so beautiful. I was shocked because I do get compliments on hair or jewelry enough that it doesn't seem odd to me, but never on makeup. I don't go to much trouble with makeup...just concealer, powder and Burt's bees lip shimmer usually, but that day I had eyeshadow and my new red lipstick. It made my day...plus...I had cheese curds. :cheese:

Great day!!!

Majorane
July 19th, 2014, 03:04 AM
I am glad I'm not the only one that enjoys basking in hair related attention! Because I REALLY like getting complimented on my hair. And, not to brag, but lately it seems to happen more often. My hair's natural texture + henna = super shine, and with the weather all clear and sunny I often get 'oooh shiny hair so nice' and that makes me :joy: Of course that's also mostly because I learned here to contition more, wash less harsh and use sticks. My hair has greatly improved the last few years.

I've never had people just trying to touch my hair though, or asking. I think that comes more after the waistlengths are conquered, or with the curly territory.

I also, by the way, try to remember to give compliments to people with nice hair. On more than one occasion, the person I wanted to compliment came up to me to do the same, which is always fun, and also some people never get complimented with their hair even though it looks really good and that is unfair. Giving hair compliments (when I mean it) is even nicer than getting them. ...Well, just as nice.

Johannah
July 19th, 2014, 05:44 AM
I love it too. I wear my hair up all the time so I don't receive much (except on hair toys). We'll see what the future brings if I reach my goal and I'll wear it loose :p

LadyLongLocks
July 19th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I have not worn my hair loose for years but I like compliments on my updos/buns. But those are few.

Sharysa
July 19th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Yay, I love compliments! A lot of people here seem to find hair-touching uncomfortable or rude, but as long as they don't knowingly yank it or get creepy, I love when people do that.

LongHairLesbian
July 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I've gotten a lot more comfortable in my own skin and secure around other people over the year, so I LOVE getting hair compliments, they don't make me feel awkward at all. :D I'm getting a lot more of them lately since I reached hip; everyone loves long hair where I live, it's not uncommon to see hip+ at least once a day. And because I'm actively invested in caring for my hair, growing it and keeping it healthy, hair compliments are my favourite ones to get.

meliel
July 20th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I got my very first hair compliment today... I'm finally almost hip length and it seems to show! I was talking to a lady about how I lose quite a bit of hair after getting out of the shower, but not really any time else, and she said, "ooooh but your hair is so pretty and long!!!"... :o So happy to hear that. Made my day!

Clarkie
July 20th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I usually wear my hair up for work but on Friday after a very successful "plopping" on Thursday night I decided to wear it down. A supervisor who hadn't seen me in a while said "wow, your hair is getting really long, looks good!"
Now I know by LHC standards BSL isn't particularly long but it made my day!

HaMalka
July 20th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I love getting compliments most of the time. Sometimes I get annoyed if the person is just repeating what someone else has just said to me but I still like the sentiment. I hate it when someone tries to touch my hair without explicit permission. When someone does I usually squawk and reflexively whack whoever just tried to touch my hair. Yesterday at shul I was wearing my hair in style that makes it look longer than my standard updos do and a little girl said she really liked my hair. She thought it was really cool that my hair was a few inches shorter than she was.

Stray_mind
July 21st, 2014, 12:44 AM
I allways feel a bit uncomfortable about getting all kinds of compliments, because i have pretty low self esteem, but of course it allways is flattering and nice to hear them. :)

MaryO
July 21st, 2014, 05:46 AM
I would like some compliments but haven't gotten any yet!

skeletonous
July 21st, 2014, 07:56 AM
People seem to compliment my hair when I tell them I want to grow it out; they say it looks cute on me at a shaggy pixie :o that kinda helps me when I feel the need for waist length hair right away. :p

dellad
July 21st, 2014, 09:32 AM
I don't usually get a lot of comments on my hair because I wear it in a nautilus bun most of the time. Sometimes when I do a more fancy style, people will compliment the style, which makes me happy. And once in a blue moon when I wear it down, I get lots of compliments on the length. Love the length compliments!

People don't tend to touch my hair. The couple of times that it has happened in the past, I didn't mind.

RileyJane
July 21st, 2014, 02:28 PM
I normally don't like attention put on me, but when I hear consistently throughout my day "have you gotten hair extensions?!" It totally makes my day:)