PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a french twist with spin pins

sarahthegemini
July 18th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Hi guys, over the last couple weeks I have been trying to get the hang of doing a french twist and securing with spin pins. I seemed to be making progress but I've somehow taken a step back and now I'm struggling! When I make the twist, the side 'pocket' that naturally develops just ...doesn't. It takes many, many attempts, I'm talking 7 attempts AT LEAST. When I do manage, my problem is securing it. I insert one spin pin through the top vertically and one across the bottom horizontally. It feels fairly loose, then after an hour, I can actually fit my finger between the twist and my scalp! Using more pins makes no difference. What am I doing wrong? Tips please?

Mustang Suzy
July 18th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Sarah the Gemini,
I use this method for a french twist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDSaxLFT3Uw It is nontraditional because it starts at the crown of the head rather than the nape of the neck.

Once twisted and tucked I place a spin pin near the bottom at a 45 degree angle going upward right to left " \ " (the open ends pointing toward the left ear). Then I use another spin pin at the top at a 45 degree angle going downward " / " (again with the open ends pointing toward the left ear). Each time I try to ensure the spin pin grabs some scalp hair to secure the twist.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

nobeltonya
July 18th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I insert the pins on the open side of the twist. This is a video I made: :disco:

http://youtu.be/3oe4q9Bz0ww

Firefox7275
July 18th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I haven't done a French twist for a while but inserted the Spin Pins at a 45 degree angle to the floor, catching some twisted surface hair and flipping to face the opposite direction much as with regular U pins (if that makes any sense).

sarahthegemini
July 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
I did it!! I managed it last night - worried it was just a fluke, tried again this morning and got it done first time, wooo :D I inserted one pin at the bottom of the twist, at a 45 degree angle, and 2 pins parallel to each other at the top of the twist, at 45 degree angles. I seem to have lost my ability to cinnabun though ...