View Full Version : Going wavy!

lapushka
July 17th, 2014, 06:47 PM
This is a woman who went naturally wavy, and tried to share her experiences in parts:

part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUB0YZ8wSw

part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gujXSWLdk

part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_38w2kE8c

Couldn't find any other parts...

Silverbrumby
July 17th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Enjoying the video. I still have to fight the urge to brush my hair. My waves, curls are taking some getting use to.

tetisheri72
July 17th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I'm still working with mine too.

Sparklylady82
July 18th, 2014, 01:08 AM
It's hard to not brush! Her waves are so tame compared to mine...I think that is what I have the hardest time with. They are unpredictable especially around my face ;-)

Ambystoma
July 18th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Do not brush - it doesn't end well for us wavies :laugh:

Look upon my cautionary photo and pay heed!
http://i.imgur.com/IvyHV.jpg?2

I mean really, that's just ridiculous. (I dug this photo up from a couple of years ago when I was MBL, since then I only use my brush for smoothing updos :rolling: )

lapushka
July 18th, 2014, 03:22 AM
I've been CG (modified) for a number of years now, doing the LOC method (link in my sig) and all, and I got comfy not brushing, combing when wet, etc. After a while it's second nature, but it takes a bit of getting used to. But when I saw my hair with these methods, I fast dropped the brush!

two_wheels
July 18th, 2014, 10:22 AM
The videos are nice, thanks for posting!
I still finger-comb dry hair on non-wash days :o

Arciela
July 18th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Nice videos, I can relate! Ugh, its so hard not to brush..I always cave in and do it then I have a frizz/poufball mess lol

If I don't brush thou, it looks very messy and bedhead like..even with a sleeping cap on :(

ExpectoPatronum
July 18th, 2014, 02:22 PM
My hair is wavier than hers. I've been slowing moving away from brushing/combing my hair a lot. I used to comb it multiple times a day (3-4 at least >.>). Now I'm down to once or twice a day. I can't comb it in the shower like she does. My hair starts falling out like crazy. Combing before a shower works just fine.

lapushka
July 18th, 2014, 02:39 PM
My hair is wavier than hers. I've been slowing moving away from brushing/combing my hair a lot. I used to comb it multiple times a day (3-4 at least >.>). Now I'm down to once or twice a day. I can't comb it in the shower like she does. My hair starts falling out like crazy. Combing before a shower works just fine.

My hair's combed & brushed before washing as well - works like a charm! From that moment on, however, it's not brushed until before the next wash. The only other time my hair is combed is on towel-dry hair, when my hair's been in a turbie towel for 15 to 20 (to sometimes 30) min. After combing, the styling products come into play and that perks my waves right back up. Maybe try that? My hair's never combed, or brushed between washings otherwise.

Firefox7275
July 18th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I'm back to wide tooth combing and occasional brushing: been wearing my hair straight, oiled and bunned for the best part of three months now. *blushes*

HairFaerie
July 18th, 2014, 05:55 PM
About two weeks ago, I embraced my waves. I stopped fighting them and just "go with it" now. I think it was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life! :)

sourgrl
July 18th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I mostly finger comb my length but have to use a wide tooth comb or fine tooth comb (on 2cd day hair) on my roots. I suffer from scalp cleavage on second day hair so combing the roots is a must. For me the most important thing I've done for my waves is avoid humectants and seal/style with argan oil.

Good to see you, Firefox :flower:

Arciela
July 18th, 2014, 06:37 PM
how do you guys keep the waves looking so nice without brushing? my hair looks so messy the next day after washing no matter what i do or don't do :(

two_wheels
July 18th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Cesil, that's why I fingercomb even though that is against the "rules". Brushing is not necessary for me though, as long as I can push enough moisture into my hair on wash day.

blace
July 18th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Cesil, that's why I fingercomb even though that is against the "rules". Brushing is not necessary for me though, as long as I can push enough moisture into my hair on wash day.

Finger combing = everything

Embrace the wave. I use a wide tooth comb after using conditioner followed by finger combing once dry. As far as towels go...I use a towel but only keep my hair in it for about 5 min. max and usually rewet my hair when applying my leave in.

I have so many clients (professional hairstylist) who feel like their wave is just "frizzy" and therefore do not wear it. No! You're just not treating your wave incorrectly! It's amazing to me how many people view their waves as an inconvenience and not something to be reveled in. It's all about how you treat it. Thanks for sharing these videos.

sourgrl
July 18th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Cesil, occasionally I will use a wide tooth comb on my length to break the wave pattern up a little more. To tame the poof caused by the comb a work a couple drops of pure argan oil through the length, literally two drops on the left half and two drops on the right half

the results
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/sagon069/photo-14_zps7f018fbb.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/sagon069/media/photo-14_zps7f018fbb.jpg.html)

Ambystoma
July 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM
That looks gorgeous sourgrl - this is my compromise too. I wide tooth comb while wet after a wash and then in the morning to keep things looking tidy and then if I'm wearing it out that day I bun it for a bit while I do my makeup so it has time to depoof and get sleeker.

Arciela
July 18th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Oh wow nice!! Thank you!!

Two_wheels - I'll give that a try! :)

blace - Going to give the rewet/leave in a try also :D yup I feel the same way...always thinking my hair is super dry or frizzy :( I need to learn to embrace the wave more haha

sourgrl - beautiful!! and very helpful I will try this too!

Thank you so much everyone for the tips ^_^ I really appreciate it! Going to go hide my TT/brush now and try to just finger comb! Must...resist...urge to brush! haha

Sparklylady82
July 19th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Cesil, occasionally I will use a wide tooth comb on my length to break the wave pattern up a little more. To tame the poof caused by the comb a work a couple drops of pure argan oil through the length, literally two drops on the left half and two drops on the right half

the results
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/sagon069/photo-14_zps7f018fbb.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/sagon069/media/photo-14_zps7f018fbb.jpg.html)

So pretty...need to try the aragon oil. I've been using jojoba but it still leaves my hair feeling a little waxy.

Dreams_in_Pink
July 19th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Good advice, these videos and the whole curly girl method.

What i don't get is, how do they keep those waves after loosening an updo or sleeping on it? Curly hair would still have some curls but wavy hair immediately gets flattened and/or forms awkward shapes that looks nowhere like the "s" curls she mentioned.

It takes a lot of effort for me to preserve my natural wave pattern. It only takes 5 minutes to wrap my hair with scarves to get perfect spiral waves in the morning :shrug: I brush and blowdry my hair after wash; if i'm planning to leave my hair down next day, i just do this scarf thing.

lapushka
July 19th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Good advice, these videos and the whole curly girl method.

What i don't get is, how do they keep those waves after loosening an updo or sleeping on it? Curly hair would still have some curls but wavy hair immediately gets flattened and/or forms awkward shapes that looks nowhere like the "s" curls she mentioned.

It takes a lot of effort for me to preserve my natural wave pattern. It only takes 5 minutes to wrap my hair with scarves to get perfect spiral waves in the morning :shrug: I brush and blowdry my hair after wash; if i'm planning to leave my hair down next day, i just do this scarf thing.

I just go with the flow. I sleep with it loose, tucked under my head, and I just accept that it loosens as the days go by. :shrug: There's not much you can do. Well, you could mist it in the morning and re-scrunch and apply some (styling) product to perk the waves back up, but that's about it.

Laurenji
July 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Just popping in to say that I read the thread title as "going away" and I was like, "lapushka's going away? Nooooo! Who will teach people about WCC and how to have beautiful curly hair?"

lapushka
July 19th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Just popping in to say that I read the thread title as "going away" and I was like, "lapushka's going away? Nooooo! Who will teach people about WCC and how to have beautiful curly hair?"

I'm waaay too addicted to this site, Laurenji! :lol: Thanks! :flower:

sourgrl
July 19th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Thank yous :flowers: Pure argan oil is a life saver for me. But it took alot of trial and error to figure that out. I started with the cg basics and went from there. The most important thing I've learned is that what works for one does not work for all. So enjoy the journey and embrace the things that work for you.

Silverbrumby
July 19th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Whats is a really good leave in for wavy hair? All suggestions welcome. I use Garnier anti frizz.

Finger combing = everything

Embrace the wave. I use a wide tooth comb after using conditioner followed by finger combing once dry. As far as towels go...I use a towel but only keep my hair in it for about 5 min. max and usually rewet my hair when applying my leave in.

I have so many clients (professional hairstylist) who feel like their wave is just "frizzy" and therefore do not wear it. No! You're just not treating your wave incorrectly! It's amazing to me how many people view their waves as an inconvenience and not something to be reveled in. It's all about how you treat it. Thanks for sharing these videos.

Silverbrumby
July 19th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Which Argan oil do you use?

Thank yous :flowers: Pure argan oil is a life saver for me. But it took alot of trial and error to figure that out. I started with the cg basics and went from there. The most important thing I've learned is that what works for one does not work for all. So enjoy the journey and embrace the things that work for you.

lapushka
July 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Whats eats a really good leave in for wavy hair? All suggestions welcome. I use Garnier anti frizz.

got2b smooth operator. Hands down, the best I've tried so far. Also, Pantene Naturefusion isn't bad either, if you can still get that. Both contain silicones.

Silverbrumby
July 19th, 2014, 09:19 AM
got2b smooth operator. Hands down, the best I've tried so far. Also, Pantene Naturefusion isn't bad either, if you can still get that. Both contain silicones.

Thank you lapushka.

Sharysa
July 19th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Whoo!

I love my natural waves--they tend towards glamour/Old-Hollywood waves, especially on Day 3 before a wash, but I love enhancing them for messy bohemian waves. I love not spending twenty minutes on my hair trying to straighten it now that I'm taking care of it.

I really shouldn't read the video comments, though--amidst the good vibes, there were a couple of straight-hair advocates insisting her hair looked messy and she should straighten it again.

Braid waves are my best friends. They last at least a day or two after a wash.

sourgrl
July 19th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I use life flo pure argan oil: http://m.vitaminshoppe.com/mobile/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=LY-7101

And as a leave in I use a smidge of my rinse out in wet hair. My rinse out is dermorganic conditioning masque