PDA

View Full Version : Tips or Tricks to Get Hair Thickness?!?!

RileyJane
July 17th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hey, everyone! I have been following my usual hair care routine, which my hair just loves. One problem: my hair thickness is very much lacking! I have fine hair, but a LOT of it which makes it thick and voluminous; but ever since a couple years ago with the platinum blonde catastrophe ( the hairdresser BURNED my scalp, and it resulted in some hair falling out of course) but it just seems to not be coming back. Obviously I probably have a couple of more years before my hair is thick throughout the entire length ( right now it is it's normal thickness about to my chin length), but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or things to try to help boost my thickness, or anything else I should try out :)

As of now I: wash my hair once a week using CWC; oil throughout the lengths everyday with argon or coconut oil; deep treatments every other time I wash my hair with coconut oil or natural hair masks; wearing hair up 90% of the time, using hair clips instead of damaging ties, and sleeping on silk pillows and sheets.

Any insight would be helpful:)

woodswanderer
July 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Sometimes it isn't the routine, but things like low iron or hormone imbalance. I think some people shed more from CO, so I wonder if you were doing CWC before when your hair seemed thicker. Do you have many issues with breakage? These are all just possible thoughts...hope something helps.

memeow
July 17th, 2014, 10:40 AM
If your hair is normal thickness up to your chin, you're probably doing fine in terms of scalp care, vitamins, and the like, and it's really just waiting for it to grow out. In the meantime, I guess you are looking for ideas to boost the apparent volume while it catches up? The one thing I've noticed that really helps me is to floof it around a bit while it's drying. In my pre-LHC days I would blowdry it with my head upside down, which added a ton of volume, and I've modified that to fingercombing as it dries in a way that lets lots of air in. Coconut oil is great but the process of putting it in can destroy what little volume my hair has, so I usually braid or bun it after application. Once it's been bunned the resulting waves make it look thicker again.

Madora
July 17th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Since your scalp was burned, then I'd visit a trichologist (hair doctor) and find out if your follicles were damaged/destroyed or if you're lacking a certain vitamin, mineral. Perhaps a check of your thyroid might be a good idea too.

You might want to consider daily gentle scalp massage (in the head down position) to encourage your follicles. Be sure to detangle your hair before and after your massage. Good luck!

RileyJane
July 17th, 2014, 10:45 AM
hmm good advice everyone! and yes I have had my scalp looked at, and (surprisingly) my scalp wasn't damaged, and I was told it might be some time before it grows back out... and I haven't been doing scalp massages, but maybe I should do that more! I guess I'm just impatient, or wondering if I'm doing something wrong, as when my hair was at my hips it was wavy and thick and voluminous.. without me trying to :p

meteor
July 17th, 2014, 10:57 AM
hmm good advice everyone! and yes I have had my scalp looked at, and (surprisingly) my scalp wasn't damaged, and I was told it might be some time before it grows back out... and I haven't been doing scalp massages, but maybe I should do that more! I guess I'm just impatient, or wondering if I'm doing something wrong, as when my hair was at my hips it was wavy and thick and voluminous.. without me trying to :p
bolded mine

I am really sorry this happened to you! The hair does grow back, especially since the doctor said the scalp wasn't damaged, but it can take a very long time. I would really look into Ayurvedic oil scalp massages! I think they are perfect for situations like this - healing scalp and hair re-growth.
Some oils I'd recommend are coconut, castor, neem and mustard (the latter two are very smelly but quite effective). But pretty much any oils you like can provide some good benefits. Research shows that effective natural treatments for burns are aloe vera and vitamin E.
So you could do aloe vera scalp masks and oil masks/massages, since natural oils are rich in vitamin E. Ideally, I would do a mask like that before every wash. Honey+water scalp rinses might help too, because honey is very moisturizing and mildly anti-bacterial. It's critical to keep your scalp moisturized while it's healing. Also, make sure you are always wearing a hat or scarf when you are out in the sun. Hair protects scalp from sunburns, but since there was damage caused to both hair and scalp, you need the extra protection.

Best of luck on the re-growth journey! :blossom:

RileyJane
July 17th, 2014, 11:21 AM

lapushka
July 17th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Hey, everyone! I have been following my usual hair care routine, which my hair just loves. One problem: my hair thickness is very much lacking! I have fine hair, but a LOT of it which makes it thick and voluminous; but ever since a couple years ago with the platinum blonde catastrophe ( the hairdresser BURNED my scalp, and it resulted in some hair falling out of course) but it just seems to not be coming back. Obviously I probably have a couple of more years before my hair is thick throughout the entire length ( right now it is it's normal thickness about to my chin length), but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or things to try to help boost my thickness, or anything else I should try out :)

As of now I: wash my hair once a week using CWC; oil throughout the lengths everyday with argon or coconut oil; deep treatments every other time I wash my hair with coconut oil or natural hair masks; wearing hair up 90% of the time, using hair clips instead of damaging ties, and sleeping on silk pillows and sheets.

Any insight would be helpful:)

Probably not what you want to hear, but it's going to take a few years (2 to 3) for that thickness to grow long, towards shoulder and APL. There's not much you can do in the mean time, but be patient and wait. And trust me, I know what a burnt scalp feels like. I had a bleach/dye disaster a few years ago and needed cortisone lotion on my head to calm the burn. My hair fell out, got chemically cut. The works. You just recover slowly from these things, and hopefully learn a lesson. ;)

Anje
July 17th, 2014, 06:31 PM
If it's normal to chin now, I'd say it's coming back in! It'll take a while before all that new growth moves down, but it'll keep getting thick to lower and lower points. Just take good care of your hair, consider occasionally trimming so the tips of your hair aren't as much of a moving target, and hang in there. It'll come back, just not quite as quick as you'd prefer.

chen bao jun
July 17th, 2014, 08:15 PM
It will come back if you had it before and your scalp isn't damaged. Try the oils. I know that the castor really works because it did on my mom who had had extensions pull her bald in spots. Now she's not anymore, but it does take time.

LongHairLesbian
July 18th, 2014, 06:23 AM
As others have said, if your pre-bleach thickness is at chin length, I'd say you are well on your way to a full recovery... albeit a very long recovery. Patience is the best treatment you can give to your hair right now. :) And don't be too hard on yourself! Everyone makes mistakes, or has to deal with an annoying growing out period. In a year or two, you probably won't even be able to tell how damaged it was before.