PDA

View Full Version : Still too short for hair sticks, need other ideas for non-damaging tools to pin back.

ohdokey
July 17th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I have a few soft headbands for days when I don't know what to do with my hair. I am growing it out from a pixie and looking for non-damaging ways to pin it back. Are bobby pins ok as long as they aren't sharp? What about clips?

Loviatar
July 17th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I like snap clips instead of bobby pins (also called sleepies) and little mini claw clips, they were ok for me.

TurtleWexler
July 17th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I'm also growing out a pixie. Right now I'm at about shoulder length, and I use claw clips. I can finally put mine in a bun with the clips, but yeah. Hair sticks aren't going to hold it for a while yet.

When it was shorter, and I just wanted to pin the front back, I got some of those tiny claw clips and sort of... hid them in my hair. I'd pull the section back, hide it beneath another lock of hair, and put the clip on. Like this (http://babesinhairland.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5878F.jpg).

spiritfree
July 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks for that, I'll try these ideas as I'm in the situation at the moment. I did use bobby pins to pin it up the other day - my family were quite impressed as I am not that great at doing my own hair and everyone commented that it looked nice.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h173/christeenm/8CE0548C-DEAE-4C88-87C4-400C611354B5_zpscmyooofa.jpg

Beezle
July 18th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Hi Spiritfree. I used to make a peacock twist held with two smallish (but not tiny) claw clips that I would interlock (also grabbing some scalp hair) because my hair is so fine and thin. Bobby pins are not good in my hair as they invariably pull on it.

It's such an achievement to be able to get hair up for the first time. Congratulations.

Madora
July 18th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Bobby pins are fine as long as you use them correctly. Never cross them (X). Place them parallel (//) instead. Using them in the crossed position puts too much pressure on delicate strands.

Also, be sure the bobby pins are not missing the tiny nubs on the ends. Better to throw away that pin with a missing nub than scratch your scalp.

Lastly, take out bobby pins carefully. Just don't pull them out of your hair.

kganihanova
July 18th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Claw clips rule at that length :)