PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible I'm short waisted?

kganihanova
July 17th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Hi y'all. I'm noticing that there is a small small difference 2-3 inches between mbl and my waist. Is this normal? Or am I measuring my waist wrong? It feels like the smallest part of my body.....

Zebra Fish
July 17th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Guess it is possible :) To me bsl-wl is like a never ending story, but wl-hip is really close. It just depends on your body build.

spidermom
July 17th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Guess it is possible :) To me bsl-wl is like a never ending story, but wl-hip is really close. It just depends on your body build.

Exactly this for me.

Gothchiq
July 17th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I was told that to determine if you were short waisted, you would measure the distance between the bottom of your ribcage and your hip bones. If this distance is 3 inches or less, then you are short waisted. This describes me. I never thought it would, because I actually have short legs compared to my torso, but apparently it is more about the proportions of your torso than the length of it.

StellaKatherine
July 17th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I was told that to determine if you were short waisted, you would measure the distance between the bottom of your ribcage and your hip bones. If this distance is 3 inches or less, then you are short waisted. This describes me. I never thought it would, because I actually have short legs compared to my torso, but apparently it is more about the proportions of your torso than the length of it.

ehh.... distance here 6,7 inches.... yup "lol". I have normal legs and long torso.....;)

nuvola
July 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I think I am also short waisted :D It is about 3 inches from midback to waist. But I am a small person in general (5'.2")
So yes it is possible :)

Lyv
July 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I've read that you can determine if you are short waisted, long, or balanced by putting your hands under your bust, if you can put both hands from bust to waist line exactly you are balanced, if your second hand is longer than waist you are short waisted and if your second hand is higher than waist you are long waisted. I have no idea how accurate that is though lol

StellaKatherine
July 17th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I've read that you can determine if you are short waisted, long, or balanced by putting your hands under your bust, if you can put both hands from bust to waist line exactly you are balanced, if your second hand is longer than waist you are short waisted and if your second hand is higher than waist you are long waisted. I have no idea how accurate that is though lol

How about different size of hands... hahaha

StellaKatherine
July 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I've heard girls saying about themselves " I'm so short waisted that my waist starts right under my bust"... So That is what I've always thought about how short waist looks....

chomsky
July 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
It's possible! If you're unsure definitely google image search 'short waisted' and you can see if your proportions are similiar. Or you could just see whereabouts your wrists fall. Sounds strange but I'm short waisted and my wrists fall about an inch or more below my bum (I thought I just had crazy monkey arms :D), with an 'average waist' they usually fall roughly around the crotch area and a longer waist would be higher up still.

martyna_22
July 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hey, you've just made me realize I'm short waisted as well ;) I'm on the taller side (5' 8"), so it's a pain to grow long hair because it always seems shorter, but there are upsides, like longer legs, but also downsides, like skirts *always* being too short. ;)

Shibe
July 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM

I guess I'm short waisted!!

lilin
July 18th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Hi y'all. I'm noticing that there is a small small difference 2-3 inches between mbl and my waist. Is this normal? Or am I measuring my waist wrong? It feels like the smallest part of my body.....

Well, kind of depends where you're measuring your waist from. A lot of people tend to measure it around their belly button, which is usually not their "true" waist (i.e. the smallest part of their torso).

If you're measuring from your true waist, that's probably pretty typical. The waist is usually 1 to 3 inches above the belly button.

I'm short waisted, meaning there's under 3 inches from the bottom of my ribs to the top of my hips, and only about 1 inch from the bottom of my ribs to my true waist.

Short waist doesn't necessarily mean short torso either. You can still have a short waist with a normal length torso if your hips sit high, or your ribs go low, or whatever. In my case, normal torso length with very high-set hips. Makes finding properly fitted pants a nightmare! They'll fit my legs, my hips... then I can't close the waist, because my hip bones are still going where the pants think my waist should be.

Bodies come in all kinds of shapes!

kganihanova
July 18th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Well, kind of depends where you're measuring your waist from. A lot of people tend to measure it around their belly button, which is usually not their "true" waist (i.e. the smallest part of their torso).

If you're measuring from your true waist, that's probably pretty typical. The waist is usually 1 to 3 inches above the belly button.

I'm short waisted, meaning there's under 3 inches from the bottom of my ribs to the top of my hips, and only about 1 inch from the bottom of my ribs to my true waist.

Short waist doesn't necessarily mean short torso either. You can still have a short waist with a normal length torso if your hips sit high, or your ribs go low, or whatever. In my case, normal torso length with very high-set hips. Makes finding properly fitted pants a nightmare! They'll fit my legs, my hips... then I can't close the waist, because my hip bones are still going where the pants think my waist should be.

Bodies come in all kinds of shapes!

This makes a lot of sense thank you!

Loviatar
July 18th, 2014, 06:09 PM

This is true for me as well.

I love 50s style dresses and the waistbands are always right smack under my boobs... Nowhere near my actual waist. Drives me crazy.

MINAKO
July 18th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Ehrmmm, do i go by the last rib connecting in the front, or the very last that is short an just kinda sticks to the side?
I'm 6" tall with long legs and neck but rather short torso, but within that a longish hip bone, so if i go by the very last rib its barely two inches distance.
Going two ribs up i end up at 3 inches.

Heres a pic of a supermodel, but i guess everyones ribcage is build differently anyways, even if they are similar in length. So where do i measure from?
http://is.gd/RDKYwU

lilin
July 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Ehrmmm, do i go by the last rib connecting in the front, or the very last that is short an just kinda sticks to the side?
I'm 6" tall with long legs and neck but rather short torso, but within that a longish hip bone, so if i go by the very last rib its barely two inches distance.
Going two ribs up i end up at 3 inches.

Heres a pic of a supermodel, but i guess everyones ribcage is build differently anyways, even if they are similar in length. So where do i measure from?
http://is.gd/RDKYwU

I tend to measure from the side, that way I can get a straight measurement from the lower floating ribs to the crest of the hip. If you measure from the front, you have to do more math and guess work to get an accurate figure, and if you go from the back, your muscles and spine tend to interfere with seeing exactly where your bones end and your waist begins.

Some people may have to poke around a bit to find their floating ribs, depending on how much your ribcage tapers.