PDA

View Full Version : All the problems

melfimoo
July 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I don't really know where to start. I hate my hair.

I am naturally auburn. With lots of greys these days. So roots look a horrible dirty grey colour. I have been henna-in for last six months (3 times) sonext stop the henna forum lol.

But it's so dry as the ends and my individuals strands are really thick and I have LOADS of it. I have the usual split ends and broken hair and I just feel like I want to shave it off.

I don't take care of it really as I just hate it now so it gets shoved in a bun with a chop stop shoved in. I swim too now so that doesn't help.

I am just totally sick of it. Cutting it isn't an option as it's so thick thay short hair equals triangle head :(

Anje
July 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Without knowing more about your hair, here's my super-basic solves-a-lot-of-problems thing to try.

1) Clarify your hair. There are lots of shampoos that'll work for this, but if you're not sensitive to sulfates, one of the ones I've seen the most raves for is Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo. (Suave Naturals shampoo is actually sufficient for me to clarify, but I don't know what you've been using or how your hair is with buildup.) Unlike how you usually shampoo just the scalp, when clarifying you'll want to work the suds all the way down to the ends of your hair. That'll help remove any gunk that's built up that could be contributing to the dryness or simply blocking moisture from going in. Edit: You should note, clarifying hair isn't meant to be an every wash thing. Normally you just want to shampoo your scalp, probably with something gentler. But when hair starts misbehaving and likely has residue from all that extra conditioner you dump on your ends, clarifying is just the ticket.

2) Moisture treatment. My favorite is one called an SMT (I've got a link in my signature), which is a blend of conditioner, aloe vera gel, and honey/molasses/corn syrup/whatever. Put it on your hair after clarifying from about ears down, stick it in a shower cap and let it marinate for about half an hour. Have a towel in case it drips -- it won't be sticky after you rinse it, but the drips are sticky! Rinse it out, let your hair air-dry.

Hopefully, that alone will get your hair going in the right direction.

Oh, if the grays are getting you down, you'll find we've got a strong contingent of hennaheads around here. You need to do your research and some test strands, but if you're interested in super-permanent can't-be-removed ground-up-plant red hair dye, you should know about henna.

melfimoo
July 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM
...I should probs mention that I am vegan.

Thanks for your idea I will have a look and see if any of them are suitable for vegans x

Anje
July 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM
You'll probably be fine, as long as you use a sugary syrup other than honey. I'm sure your conditioner of choice is already vegan-friendly.

moontree
July 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Many of the things Anje mentioned are vegan friendly! Henna certainly is, and will both condition your hair and help with the grays (just be sure to get it from a reputable source, since some places that sell it don't sell the pure henna.) If you want to match your natural color there are mixes out there for that!

You probably have some build up from swimming but clarifying should help, and there are sooo many good tips on the forums... SMT sounds awesome but I haven't tried it, I have had great luck with a little bit of oiling on my ends and ceasing the abuse-by-hairbrush of my wavy hair.

ErinLeigh
July 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I adore SMTs. (I alternate them with protein based conditioning treatment to help my hair but your henna probably does that and more)
My hair is a bit of disaster with color, bleach, different textures, some straight, some wurls, some frizz and some wiry greys so I can relate most hair woes.

A good clarify followed by a really deep condition does wonders for me. The conditioner really sinks in on hair with no buildup. Afterwards I put avocado oil on wet hair, damp bun and leave overnight to lock in the moisture. I cowash it out the next day and things feel like new again. It really does help in most cases.

Hopefully you find something that works as good!

Firefox7275
July 19th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Triangle head suggests to me more than just thick hair, it might indicate hidden wave. Agree you should clarify (for product build up) and chelate (for hard water/ pool chemicals) then do an intensive condition: any product rich in fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants (list of ingredients on the Naturally Curly main site by Tonya McKay). Use heat with your intensive conditioner - even if that is just wrapping your head to trap body heat.

Avoid proteins if your hair is on the coarse side. Protect your hair from pool chemicals with a swim cap. You can wet your hair and./ or use a leave in conditioner and/ or oil underneath, but use the cap too because this protects the pool from contamination as well as protecting your hair.