PDA

View Full Version : Difference between SILKY Ficcare and JEWEL ficcare

Adiro
July 15th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Hello I am wondering if you ladies can help me? I run into a problem. I ordered 3 ficcare from FrenchTwist, a jewel and to silkies, well, the silkies broke my hair. When I compared them, it seems that the silky f. have the "upper jaw" much longer than the "lower jaw", and somehow I guess because of that the whole shape changes, or the "beak" goes forward and because there are upper "teeth" my hair gets broken. I dont' even know how to explain this better. But anyway, upon comparing with the jewel ficcare and with an accetate ficcare that I have, all large, it seems that both silky f.s have this longer "upper jaw" ( longer by 3-4 mm, not much really) yet they were bothering my head and I got a lot of broken hair from them. I think it's because the longer upper part, but not really sure, actually Anybody else run into this problem? Are they all ( silky) made like this, or did i just get some less good ones? ( I assume some variation, as they are hand made?) thank you

Adiro
July 15th, 2014, 10:56 PM
forgot to say that I sent the silkies back to exchange for jewels, and now i am nervous that they all might be "irregular"

Amapola
July 16th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Adiro, if I understand you right, I am sorry to tell you they are all that way. Every last one. However, I have never once had one that harmed my hair. I'm not real sure how that happened to you - was it when you pulled it out? Or did it just feel uncomfortable? If it was simply uncomfortable, maybe pulling on your hair from the weight, you could try this: make your bun, and then opening the Ficcare fully, insert it from about 2:00 (as if your head were the face of a clock) pointing towards 8:00, or possibly even starting at 1:00 pointing towards 7:00. I just have to guess but it sounds like you got the angle wrong for your particular head shape. Once you figure out the right angle, a Ficcare will just sit there and you can barely even feel it. I often find myself reaching up to make sure mine is still there.

When you insert always open it up all the way so it does not snag hair on the way in, and I open it up when pulling it out too, after first checking with my fingers that no hairs have wound around the end of it.

I hope that helps. I am so sorry you had problems!

NaClH2O
July 16th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Yep silky and jewel ficcares are exactly the same, it's the top coating (enamel) that is different. The base clip (metal) is stock and doesn't change. If it's the teeth you don't like, maybe you would be better off with a ficcarissimo, the current model doesn't have them.

Adiro
July 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Thank you so much , ladies!
Amapopla, thank you for explaining how to use, i just tried it your way and it does help with the comfort level :), but I used to put them from low to up ( sort of like 5 to 11 oclock, because my bun just ends in such a way that otherwise the ends escape :0
like your way I need to tuck them under and use a pin or two to hold, the ficcare large just does not go all the way across the bun.
NaClH2O uh, I am "sure" that the upper jaw of the silky is longer by 4 mm than the lower one, as opposed to the jewel, and my old acetate, where upper and lower are almost the same. I measured! I had them in my hands!!! and the longer upper jaw makes for a lower opening, and the upper jaw just threads through my bun and the teeth get tangled in hair. The nice manager at the store understood exactly what happened and she offered exchange ( even if initially they said no exchange on ficcare) Maybe the newer ones are just a bit different.....
Basically Yea, I am having some trouble with the shape too, the tip and the tail digging into my head.
but the Jewel and the acetate are totally confortable and good, dont break a hair, so that is why I am so confused.