PDA

View Full Version : Hair suddenly feeling thinner for no reason?

Breanna
July 15th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I noticed sometime this week that my hair feels so much different; not as thick, less texture, less fluffy. It normally holds braid waves and bun waves and any kind of heartless styling really well but lately it just falls back to being straight. I haven't been doing anything differently at all. The only cause I can think of is being on my period, I hear that a lot of people tend to shed more during that time, but I haven't really noticed any additional shedding. I'm really sort of irritated and freaked out, I want my normal hair back, what's going on! Has this ever happened to any of you? Did your hair ever start feeling like itself again?

Nadine <3
July 15th, 2014, 07:36 PM
I noticed that sometimes my hair feels REALLY REALLY thick for my hair, but then goes back to feeling thinner and less fluffy and kind of fluctuates. I haven't figured out what causes it or why, but I don't think it's bad as I haven't notice hair actually coming out, breaking, or thinning in any way.

Catatafish
July 15th, 2014, 07:49 PM
This happened to me when I started using Aussie Shine shampoo and conditioner. It also had a lot more slip than usual and was less wavy. I liked it though. Could it be build up, or just a side effect of whatever products you are using? My hair went back to normal once I ran out of those products. Maybe try switching, or clarifying?

Ingrid
July 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
You could be low on iron? Blood loss generally depletes the stores of iron and that may lead to hair thinning. Or it could just be changes in humidity levels.

Breanna
July 15th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Catatafish and Ingrid, that makes sense! Also, would you mind telling me how to clarify? Do I use something other than my normal shampoo?

Catatafish
July 15th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I don't know what your normal shampoo is, but usually they'll say something about clarifying on the front I think. You just shampoo your hair like you normally would, but use a special shampoo. Here is a thread about different ones. Maybe have a look there and see if there's anything you recognise from where you normally shop.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86771

If you use products containing silicones you might have to occasionally use a clarifying shampoo.

Larki
July 15th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I think you can clarify with any shampoo that contains SLS.

Catatafish
July 15th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Also, maybe have a look at this

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15746

Vanilla Mint
July 15th, 2014, 08:18 PM
My hair does this! Generally it means one of three things: I fell asleep with it wet (it somehow flattens it not just in terms of volume, but seems to make the individual strands seem more compact? It's pretty lame.), my hair is in need of a protein treatment (my hair is very color-treated, though!), or I need a clarifying shampoo.

MeowScat
July 15th, 2014, 09:06 PM
It might even be the summer humidity, I see you're down south. :)

Breanna
July 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
MeowScat, that's definitely a possibility, it's been so humid lately!

ExpectoPatronum
July 15th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I second (third?) humidity. It's been really humid (by California standards) and my hair doesn't feel as thick either.