PDA

View Full Version : Using tea tree oil for scalp

Arwenlily
July 15th, 2014, 09:57 AM
I have a good case of dandruff and plan on see a dermatologist soon to determine the cause. However, I don't plan on taking medication or applying topical treatments, but I heard that tea tree oil is reported to have helped flaky itchy scalp. Does anyone know how to go about using?

I read one post on NaturallyCurly.com where a poster dipped the ends of 6 qtips in tea tree oil, then dipped them in water and applied directly to her scalp about once per week. Another poster said she mixed tea tree oil in her brown sugar scrub. Do any of these options seem safe?

Or could I put a couple of drops in my shampoo?

Also, I've heard tea tree oil is found to dry hair, if I just apply it to the scalp can this be avoided?

Anje
July 15th, 2014, 11:39 AM
It's probably best to dilute the tea tree oil in something that can dissolve oils, such as oil or shampoo or conditioner. Some people don't mind using it straight, but others find it's drying or burns. I've heard several success stories of people putting it into their shampoo.

Before you start with the antimicrobial treatments on your scalp, though... have you tried doing dilute vinegar rinses after you wash your hair? There are a lot of people who've found that just a bit of an acidic rinse before they hop out of the shower is all they need to make their scalps happier, and it's a lot milder than something as harsh as tea tree oil.

ExpectoPatronum
July 15th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I second Anje's recommendation for using a diluted vinegar rinse! Those helped me when I was dealing with a flakey scalp.

meteor
July 15th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Essential oils should always be diluted to prevent potential burns. Tea tree oil is safer to apply directly, but can really dry you out undiluted.
Tea tree oil is very effective even at very low concentrations, so adding a drop to your diluted shampoo right before application and/or adding a drop to your scalp massage oil mix should be pretty effective.
You can use it in your pre-poo oil treatment: add a drop or two of tea tree oil to castor oil or coconut oil or whatever oil you like, warm it up and massage into scalp 30 min to a few hours before a wash.

Oh, and I recommend avoiding oils very rich in oleic acid (olive, almond...) for now, since they feed Malassezia fungus responsible for SD. Since you are still waiting for your dermatologist to diagnose you, we can't yet rule out this common cause of dandruff.

urs
July 15th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Try rubbing fresh lemon to your scalp before washing. I remember my cousin had problems with dandruff and my mum recommended the lemon.

meteor
July 15th, 2014, 02:10 PM
As much as I like the anti-bacterial properties of ACV and lemon, I must caution against applying this undiluted. It is extremely acidic stuff - ph of 2! A healthy scalp's ph is only mildly acidic - ph of 4.5 - 5.5.
It is of utmost importance to preserve the acid mantle of skin and scalp, if you want to heal your scalp faster and avoid things like irritation, bacterial infections... If you apply ACV or lemon juice, please make sure you dilute well. As for oils, they have no ph, as they are not water-soluble.

Arwenlily
July 15th, 2014, 03:04 PM
It's probably best to dilute the tea tree oil in something that can dissolve oils, such as oil or shampoo or conditioner. Some people don't mind using it straight, but others find it's drying or burns. I've heard several success stories of people putting it into their shampoo.

Before you start with the antimicrobial treatments on your scalp, though... have you tried doing dilute vinegar rinses after you wash your hair? There are a lot of people who've found that just a bit of an acidic rinse before they hop out of the shower is all they need to make their scalps happier, and it's a lot milder than something as harsh as tea tree oil.

Thank you for the advice :) I typically do an ACV rinse after I wash my hair and it definitely does help take away the flakes but only temporarily, the following day my hair is back to being flaky.

meteor Thank you for cautioning me against oleic acid! I had no idea and wish I would of known because I'm currently doing a pre-poo oiling of coconut/olive oil lol