PDA

View Full Version : How to get Merida's curls (heatless)?

aforestfae
July 15th, 2014, 06:35 AM
How could you recreate Merida's spiral curls (http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/8e/37/41/8e374164aba17a01f8be7ef493dc997b.jpg) without heat?
I've tried the straw curls and although it gave me amazing curls it didn't last as long as I'd hoped and I found it very hard to section off my hair, wrap it around the straw and tie it off without the ends unraveling.
Is there an easier straw curling technique or an alternative for getting the tight curls?
Thank you :)

kaydana
July 15th, 2014, 06:43 AM
I was going to suggest straw curls, but seems you already tried that. That's the only method of heatless curling I've ever used that got anything close to that kind of curl pattern. Did you have wet hair when you did it? Curls always last better on me if my hair's wet (just stepped out of the shower kind of wet, not damp) helps with the unravelling issues too.

I'd imagine pipe cleaners would work quite well too, but I doubt they'd last any longer than straw curls.

aforestfae
July 15th, 2014, 06:49 AM
I was going to suggest straw curls, but seems you already tried that. That's the only method of heatless curling I've ever used that got anything close to that kind of curl pattern. Did you have wet hair when you did it? Curls always last better on me if my hair's wet (just stepped out of the shower kind of wet, not damp) helps with the unravelling issues too.

I'd imagine pipe cleaners would work quite well too, but I doubt they'd last any longer than straw curls.

My hair was damp, if I did it on wet hair it would never dry, my hair is also heavy so curls drop out fast.
I can't section well enough for straw curls.
hmm...Pipe cleaners would bend much easier than straws and are more reusable so if I can figure out how to section my hair I will try that out thank you :)

apynip
July 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Have you tried rag curls? if you make the sections small enough it should work. I've been able to get it to work before by using 1"square sections.

meteor
July 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Rag curls, sponge curls or towel paper curls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJmk1brVNw

To get more natural texture, take smaller sections around the face and larger sections in the back to wrap around your "curlers". I recommend starting with damp hair, not wet (it may not dry) and let it dry completely. For better definition, you can spray hair with water or diluted leave-in conditioner/oil before you start setting the curls.

Anje
July 15th, 2014, 11:35 AM
What are you using to hold the curls, since they don't seem to want to stay with just damp hair? I think that's the ticket for you. Curl setting lotion, hair gel, something like that, worked through your damp hair before you curl it might make a huge difference.

aforestfae
July 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM
What are you using to hold the curls, since they don't seem to want to stay with just damp hair? I think that's the ticket for you. Curl setting lotion, hair gel, something like that, worked through your damp hair before you curl it might make a huge difference.

I used to use mousse or curling gel and neither worked for me so I don't use anything now but I will try out setting lotion and hopefully that should get curls to stay
Thank you :)

LadyStrange
July 15th, 2014, 12:05 PM
My hair doesn't end up exactly like Merida's but it ends up very voluminous and curly when I use rag curls. I just wrap my hair up in probably 15-20 rag strips while my hair is still damp and then sleep on it and keep the rags in until my hair is room-temperature to the touch and not damp on the inside. Just before I take out the rags, and I know it's horrible, but I blast them with a hairdryer for about 30 seconds and let them cool completely. When I pull out the rags, I look like Shirley Temple, as the curls are crazy tight and hang right above my shoulders, but I just dampen my hands and run my fingers through until they've loosened just enough to look presentable. Sometimes I use a little bit of smoothing serum as well, because my hair can go POOF and goes crazy frizzy with the water. lol
This is my result about 6 hours after taking out the rags, though the curls aren't as curly as they were originally, but it was very hot and humid that day, so they went kind of limp.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/zuulcat/bbd286f2-47bb-4ad3-8ba8-788991515510_zps812e9bfa.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/zuulcat/media/bbd286f2-47bb-4ad3-8ba8-788991515510_zps812e9bfa.jpg.html)

KittyBird
July 15th, 2014, 03:13 PM
My hair was damp, if I did it on wet hair it would never dry, my hair is also heavy so curls drop out fast.
I can't section well enough for straw curls.
hmm...Pipe cleaners would bend much easier than straws and are more reusable so if I can figure out how to section my hair I will try that out thank you :)
I don't think using pipe cleaners is a good idea. I remember a member who tried that, and it resulted in crazy tangles and breakage. Just thought I should mention it. :)
I think rag curls would work well. I've used strips of pantyhose when I've curled my hair (damp, of course), and a tiny bit of curl creme and gel to set them.

aforestfae
July 15th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I don't think using pipe cleaners is a good idea. I remember a member who tried that, and it resulted in crazy tangles and breakage. Just thought I should mention it. :)
I think rag curls would work well. I've used strips of pantyhose when I've curled my hair (damp, of course), and a tiny bit of curl creme and gel to set them.

Ah thank you for warning about that.
I will have to try out rag curls once I have a setting lotion, thank you :)

Loviatar
July 15th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Wet set, rag curls and setting lotion. I can recommend Lottabody if you can get it where you are. I've tried it with aloe gel but it's a bit crunchy.

HumanBean
July 15th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Bantu knots: http://www.babble.com/beauty/diy-princess-merida-hair-makeup-tutorial-brave-costume/

gus
July 16th, 2014, 12:22 AM
So that's where Meagan went! I like her hair videos a lot; she's one of the funnier hairstyle-instructional people out there.

aforestfae
July 16th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Bantu knots: http://www.babble.com/beauty/diy-princess-merida-hair-makeup-tutorial-brave-costume/

That hair is amazing!
Thank you

aforestfae
July 21st, 2014, 07:14 AM
I tried out some firm hold setting lotion and straw curls and they have stayed over night and are still really curly :D
The back has dropped to waves so I'm not sure how it will hold as my hair gets longer but overall it's stayed incredibly well