PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Pain?

Sparklylady82
July 15th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Does anyone else have this issue: On about the third day after washing, my scalp hurts when put up in an up-do for more than a few hours. My hair is noticiably greasy by this time so I am wondering if that is the cause of the pain...Is this weird or common?

Zebra Fish
July 15th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Sometimes I get it when wearing up-does. Can't really say what causes it or not. Just that for me it is 5th-6th day (I usually wash once a week). Then again sometimes I manage ten days, and no pain. Couldn't even associate it to a specific hairtoy. Just that sometimes it hurts, and sometimes not. Think it has something with scalp oiliness and how the specific hair lies, so when you move it out of that position it hurts. But dunno why sometimes yes and sometimes no. I know I didn't help much, but you are not alone :p

angstroms
July 15th, 2014, 05:02 AM
People talk about your hair not being used to laying the way you're trying to make it for a higher updo.
Sort of like how pulling your leg hair the wrong way when putting on socks feels unpleasant.

People "train" their hair by inching up little by little, but in the case of it being related to wash day, I have no idea!
I experience this too, but only when my hair really really needs washed.
I wonder if the little tube of sebum and skin cells (can't remember what it's called!) that comes out of a pore has anything to do with it?

lapushka
July 15th, 2014, 05:35 AM
My scalp never hurt as a toddler up to the age of 5/6, but I remember it was heavily "trained" starting from age 6, and growing out to classic. I had it in pigtails often then, and I remember in the beginning - it hurt. But the more was done to my hair, the more it got "used" to it. And now, my hair just never hurts anymore. It takes a bit of getting used to, quite a bit if you're not used to updos. I doubt that the greasies have much to do with it, maybe just a little.

Madora
July 15th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Does anyone else have this issue: On about the third day after washing, my scalp hurts when put up in an up-do for more than a few hours. My hair is noticiably greasy by this time so I am wondering if that is the cause of the pain...Is this weird or common?

The scalp hurts because the hair is being drawn in a different direction than it usual.

It is quite common and the solution is to gradually train your follicles to accept the hair being drawn in a different direction.

Try wearing the style for as long as you can comfortably wear it. When it begins to bother, take it down. Next day, repeat. Try and increase the time you wear it up by 5 minute increments. Take as long as it needs to gradually accustom your scalp to the new position. Don't try to force the duration of the time you leave your hair up. Depending on your scalp, you'll have favorable results in two weeks or so. Some scalps acclimatize faster than others. Good luck!

Nadine <3
July 15th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I get this! My scalp is fine for updos on the first and second day, but on the third day when my hair is greasy and due to be washed that night, updos are painful. I think it might be because when the hair is clean, it's more flexible. When it gets dirty it's stiffer and maybe then more reluctant to lay a different way that what it's used too?

Artista
July 15th, 2014, 10:02 AM
If no hair loss of significance accompanies this then it is due to what is being said. I have scalp pain but I have hair loss issues and dermatitis so that explains mine.

Sparklylady82
July 15th, 2014, 10:08 AM
If no hair loss of significance accompanies this then it is due to what is being said. I have scalp pain but I have hair loss issues and dermatitis so that explains mine.

This was one of my worries, that forcing it into an updo that causes pain would cause it to fall out? It hasn't happened yet, as I have no hair loss but I wonder!

Ishje
July 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM
The scalp hurts because the hair is being drawn in a different direction than it usual.

This makes sense, and I have thought about this before and payed attention to this when doing my hair.
But I must say, sometimes these pains happen to me when I did not wear my hair up at all, or when I am sure I did not do anything strange with my hair.

Artista
July 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM
This was one of my worries, that forcing it into an updo that causes pain would cause it to fall out? It hasn't happened yet, as I have no hair loss but I wonder!

It's best not to do tight ponies or updos. Otherwise it's fine and won't cause hair loss. I put my hair up but due to my stuff, I have to do it pretty loosley.

meteor
July 15th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Hair follicles getting used to being pulled in new directions is certainly a factor for people new to bunning and also when you are getting adjusted to new buns.

But there is also some truth to scalp feeling a bit tight and sore when it has accumulated some oils, some even have light headaches - so it's not uncommon to get that feeling.
It could be the added weight, it could be the gunk that the oil attracts... I'm not sure. If it bothers you a lot, you could do scalp-only washes, do scalp massages or even brush or wash a bit more often.
Here are a few threads on this subject, so you can see that it's a pretty common problem:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-45909.html
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-54773.html
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88063

Sparklylady82
July 15th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Hair follicles getting used to being pulled in new directions is certainly a factor for people new to bunning and also when you are getting adjusted to new buns.

But there is also some truth to scalp feeling a bit tight and sore when it has accumulated some oils, some even have light headaches - so it's not uncommon to get that feeling.
It could be the added weight, it could be the gunk that the oil attracts... I'm not sure. If it bothers you a lot, you could do scalp-only washes, do scalp massages or even brush or wash a bit more often.
Here are a few threads on this subject, so you can see that it's a pretty common problem:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-45909.html
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-54773.html
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88063

Thank you for these links! How strange...I have a headache today as well! Hmmm...looks like I will have to wash today.

lapushka
July 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM
What used to help me, was combing, brushing the hair in all sorts of directions (all to the front, then all to the back, then the sides). You feel the scalp pain, but it will ease. It's "kind of" a massage.

Stormynights
July 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM
That is how I can tell when it is time to shampoo. My hair never gets oily or feels dirty, but I do get that my hair hurts feeling until I wash it.

Maktub
July 15th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Me too ! And I know it doesn't correspond to follicle position. It's systematic : when I'm a few days without washing (around the 5th day), my scalp gets sore until I wash it. Even if I give it lots and lots of massages, BBB oil/sebum distribution, etc. and no matter how I wear my hair.

If I wet my hair, then the soreness instantly disappears !

I'd love to have a real scientific explanation for it !

Sparklylady82
July 15th, 2014, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=

I'd love to have a real scientific explanation for it ![/QUOTE]

Me too! It's really putting a damper on stretching washes!