PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant comments on long hair (article)

Undomiel
July 14th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I was just reading this article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/the-woman-with-8-feet-hair, "The Woman with 8-Foot Hair"

This woman has amazing hair.

Some of the comments listed were:
-It's like if Morticia and Cousin It had a baby.
-Why?
-Do you realize how many Locks of Love wigs that'll make!
- I donated 12 inches of hair, myself. Imagine how many people could benefit from all of that hair. *sighs*
-Why would you want hair that long?

I find it especially annoying when people comment about locks of love. I find some hair cuts to be unappealing and people have a right to their opinion but no one should tell others to donate their hair. Why does the world think locks of love owns all hair past waist length? I've dealt with this personally as well and don't understand their logic because...

1) Locks of love isn't as honorable an organization as they seem from what I've heard through the grape vine and read up on
2) Why don't the people who are concerned about locks of love donate their own hair before telling others what to do? They can make themselves a hair factory and deliver the product to locks of love every few years as the martyrs they want to be seen as... :/
3) I'm donating my organs... isn't that a bit more important than hair (which saves lives vs. "saving" appearances)? It's rude to ask someone whether they're doing that as well, but if you're going to be nosy why not about something more meaningful?
4) Most importantly: If a person wants to donate nothing off of their body for whatever reason that's fine as it is theirs. That should be the one thing no one can discuss what you need to "give away" from. Why is this not a taboo topic to discuss? It's so intrusive!

Sorry I'm kind of ranting here... lol I'm sure I'm not the only person here who feels this way though

Anyways... :)
How long has this been going on? I only started to get crap about this once I reached waist length and I'm just wondering how to deal with these people. Strangers are easy to shrug off and my hair is mostly bunned anyway when I'm out, but how do you deal with family/friends/coworkers? I want to be polite but still get my point across that this it is insanely rude to suggest what people do with their bodies.

Thanks for reading. :blossom:

MINAKO
July 14th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Ugh, people are just so rude behind their frigging internet anonymity.
I personally find that womans hair waaaaay past where i would grow my own, but that doesn't give me the right to tell her or publicly state that she'd do anything different.
And seriously... EFF LOCKS OF LOVE, even if the organisation would work and be as honorable as they claim, it'd still be nonsense. Rasing money and buy hair from a wholesale retailer would be much more effective and logistically cheaper. The argument to ask someone to cut their hair is just ridiculous.

I rarely get comments as i mostly wear my hair up. But first thing people would state in the case its down is the buttwipe thing, second is witch, third would be suspicions of extensions... so creative! Seriously STFU and mind your own business! I usually avoid reading likewise things as it feeds my lack of faith in humanity a bit to vivd.

Undomiel
July 14th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Ugh, people are just so rude behind their frigging internet anonymity.
I personally find that womans hair waaaaay past where i would grow my own, but that doesn't give me the right to tell her or publicly state that she'd do anything different.
And seriously... EFF LOCKS OF LOVE, even if the organisation would work and be as honorable as they claim, it'd still be nonsense. Rasing money and buy hair from a wholesale retailer would be much more effective and logistically cheaper. The argument to ask someone to cut their hair is just ridiculous.

I rarely get comments as i mostly wear my hair up. But first thing people would state in the case its down is the buttwipe thing, second is witch, third would be suspicions of extensions... so creative! Seriously STFU and mind your own business! I usually avoid reading likewise things as it feeds my lack of faith in humanity a bit to vivd.

Can't believe some of the comments you get... my faith is humanity is being destroyed tonight lol. It's crazy though that these internet comments are things some of us long hairs hear irl... usually the internet trolls don't have the balls to transfer these idiotic thoughts over to reality but they do in this case. The amount of rudeness and stupidity is mind blowing.

queenovnight
July 14th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Unfortunately, it's the internet and everyone feels it's necessary to say exactly what they think here. Now, that's worth 'sighing' over. But I wouldn't even acknowledge people that make such remarks. Especially strangers. That's the one thing I strongly dislike about the internet. Manners and just basic consideration for others (and their choices) goes straight out the window. But anywho, she has BEAUTIFUL hair. So long and healthy! Too bad the comment section is full of Debby-downers Lol.

Wolfie
July 14th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Yes! Locks of Love is a horrible "organization" to donate to and I put it in quotations because they actually sell most of the hair donated to make wigs and throw away any hair that has greys in it along. They also make the child go through a length process and the family still has to PAY for the wig! It really doesn't help the family in savings because the child will outgrow their wigs within 2 years. Another thing I should add is that natural hair wigs are extremely uncomfortable to wear when you just have a bare scalp and most child prefer to have synthetic wigs anyways.

I tthink that if you want to donate then go ahead. But please do research Locks of Love will only receive VIRGIN hair. I hear that the Pantene donation program is a much better organization to donate to, since it isn't exclusive to children. And many of the wigs can be given to others since there is a variety of hand me downs they can choose from.

Also no one has the right to demand that you cut your hair. After all if they do feel so strongly about the subject they can donate THIRST own hair. Hair is only for appearance. I'm sure a child suffering from a terminal disease is more worried about thir treatments and time with loved ones, not hair. The media portray long hair as disgusting and unclean, when it isn't so! Long hair is beautiful and should be cher

MINAKO
July 14th, 2014, 07:14 PM
The worst thing apart from stating what they think is also the way they put it just to top off someone else and validate themselves through getting likes for the words they spill, so sickening.

I deal well with the comments i personally get, they hardly ever come across dead serious but rather ironic. It seems so easy for people to critisize others, rather then to look in the mirror first. Usually it's girls with garconne like bobs that have been colored over and over who would remind me of going to the hairdresser, so it probably just reflect their own dissatisfaction to have messed up their hair and other girls should therefore look alike, lol.

Wolfie
July 14th, 2014, 07:19 PM
*along with it *lengthy *children *think *theirs *their *portrays *cherished

I want to add the last part since it didn't post.

Everyone should have their hair they want it. From bald to locks that hit the floor. It isn't the hair that makes the person but the heart.

chen bao jun
July 14th, 2014, 07:33 PM
She has beautiful, beautiful hair. It is so nice to read she started growing 14 years ago and is 55 so not a young thing. that encourages me as a older woman. I'm always impressed at how super long some Chinese can grow hair--and how fast. No matter where she started from, to get to 8 feet in 14 years is amazing.
I personally never read comments on articles like that-or sometimes I do just to laugh. They hardly represent reasonable people's opinions; reasonable people don't surf the web to find things to make mean comments about. It's not like the lady in China is going to read their comments and go to the barber, you know, lol. Its not like they even THINK she will. They are just making random noise 'sound and fury signifying nothing.'
Minako, I am sorry people are rude to you, does sound like jealousy.

meteor
July 14th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Amazing hair!

As for the Locks of Love harassment, it's shockingly common in North America. I am still struggling with not feeling offended by it, but for online offenders, I found this nice video that explains it all very politely and is a great online reply to the strange folks who want to donate *your* hair to LoL (why can't they just focus on donating their own?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEuFdFrKII

GrowingOut
July 14th, 2014, 08:02 PM
She has such gorgeous hair! And look at her ends! :D

I've been called many nasty things before for saying I won't donate, being told how I'm a horrible child and how others could benefit so much more. I've even had people come at me with scissors/tell my mother to cut it off of me!

North America is ridiculous about donations, they constantly pressure everyone to donate to that c****y organization, and ignore others feelings. It's seen as, "Socially Acceptable!" too tell others what to do! WTF!?

GrowingOut
July 14th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Drat, a double post! Sorry everyone!

MINAKO
July 14th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I've even had people come at me with scissors/tell my mother to cut it off of me!

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bige yes: Seriously? Wow... just wow!!! I dunno how i would react to that, but the situation would have potential to escalate in not such a nice way, even if this is ment as a joke, never come at anyone with scissors or knives. Damn it... stay away from whoever did that to you.

GrowingOut
July 14th, 2014, 08:13 PM
:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bige yes: Seriously? Wow... just wow!!! I dunno how i would react to that, but the situation would have potential to escalate in not such a nice way, even if this is ment as a joke, never come at anyone with scissors or knives. Damn it... stay away from whoever did that to you.

I stay away from them now, but the pushiest go and try to tell my mother to make me cut it! :mad::steam

MINAKO
July 14th, 2014, 08:28 PM
If it's that important to thse people, why don't they order a bunch of virgin malaysian hair, pay with their own friggin money and donate these instead of harassing you and you mom? Really, unbelieveable how some people try to interfere with others lifes. I would probably go after them with the sharpest kanzashi stick i got in return :P :patrol:

kitana97
July 14th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Many people - at least in the states - feel that it is okay to intrude in stranger's lives. I really can't understand this as I've always been a private person and don't like to badger other people about anything because everyone's lives should be their own, especially when it comes to their bodies. I think that one reason is that they think hair past a certain length is unnecessary and could be put to "better" use by donating it to a charitable organization. What they fail to realize is that hair can have so much meaning to someone.

I am curious though -do any of you European LHC'ers can flack about donating your hair?

PerkyCurlz
July 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
In the past month, two of my relatives have posted on facebook that they have cut & donated their hair, and they suggested I do the same. My reply? 1) info about Locks for Love (their FAQ page), and 2) pictures of myself as a child (who didn't have the option to have anything but really short hair) and telling them I'm making up for what I missed out on as a child. Nothing else has been said....

woodswanderer
July 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I don't usually get anything mean...just pressure to donate to Locks of Love. I tailor my response to the level of pushiness that I receive. If someone asks innocently and politely, I try to be polite too.

Undomiel
July 14th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Amazing hair!

As for the Locks of Love harassment, it's shockingly common in North America. I am still struggling with not feeling offended by it, but for online offenders, I found this nice video that explains it all very politely and is a great online reply to the strange folks who want to donate *your* hair to LoL (why can't they just focus on donating their own?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEuFdFrKII

Thank you so much for this video.
And thanks for the comments everyone. I know it's just opinions from other people and it should be shrugged off but I'm moody today and it got to me (all fired up lol). Definitely don't need to read comments at the bottom of random hair articles anymore ;) unless of course they're from LHC!

MINAKO
July 15th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Just for the record, there are plenty of chinese communities for the admiration of long hair, this woman is definitely not looked downonin her own country. Extremely long hair, although it might be too long to be called fashionable is regardless considered beutiful, feminine, elegant an supposed to reflect good health. Even if she did read the comment, she probably would just call some of her long haired friends and they laugh together at those idiots who have nothing to offer but a few brainless lines. ;)

firevegan
July 15th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I've always dreamt of having long hair that hits the floor, or somewhere close to it, and I gawk at women with long hair in envy. One of my sisters always chops her hair to neck length and makes fun of me for wanting long flowing hair. She makes it out to be disgusting or something. I don't understand the mindset of someone who could possibly find long hair anything but positive.

Nesoi
July 15th, 2014, 01:10 AM
This is why we don't read the bottom half of the Internet ;)

Seriously though: it is annoying. I DID donate my hair (NOT to LOL, to a local Trich charity salon) and I then had people berate me and say I should have sold it instead! You can't win!

Now I 'donate' all my sheds to the hedge outside and watch the birds take them for their nests :)

Marika
July 15th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I am curious though -do any of you European LHC'ers can flack about donating your hair?

Nope. I had never even heard about donating hair before I joined LHC. If you have cancer for example, you'll get this letter/document/paper (I don't know what it's called in English) from the hospital for a certain amount of money to buy a wig. If you want more expensive one, you pay the difference yourself. I actually think it's impossible to donate hair for charity in this country. I know cancer organizations don't know anything about it.

firevegan
July 15th, 2014, 01:44 AM
"16-year-old Roxy gets first real haircut"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bfM3qvewVg

this video makes me so sad.. they chopped off her floor length hair, and then taught her she needed to style it with heat and treat it poorly =[

MINAKO
July 15th, 2014, 02:37 AM
I was on a german forum and thinking about cutting my hair into a long bob, haha, i got a few PMs telling me to donate before i could even announce to have decided against it, lol.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 15th, 2014, 03:12 AM
My sisters all think that long hair is "gross". There's no accounting for taste, I guess. That Chinese woman has beautiful hair. I wouldn't want mine that long, personally, I think I would have trouble managing it. But you can see how proud she is of it, and I hope that when I am 55 I will be able to be proud of my hair too.

furnival
July 15th, 2014, 03:13 AM
This is why we don't read the bottom half of the Internet ;)
This, exactly! Don't do it, folks- that way lies madness and despair. 'Comments' sections are a wonderful place to discover how ignorant, spiteful and prejudiced our species is, and how little we can do about it. :p

martyna_22
July 15th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Here in Poland hair donation is not a thing. If anything, people sell their hair for money, and are paid quite reasonable amounts. Wigs or extensions are made of this hair, but they're not free, quite the contrary, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

TurtleWexler
July 15th, 2014, 03:55 AM

My hair is only shoulder length at the moment, but back when it was waist length... nope. Not a peep. I did sometimes have people saying I should cut it, but not to donate. Just to look more stylish.

RavennaNight
July 15th, 2014, 03:55 AM
So here's an annoying question? Why do we bother reading comments? Why do we go forth, systematically, to infuriate ourselves? Don't get me wrong, I do it too, but why are we collectively so bent on reading comment sections, knowing full and well we will run across opinions that will infuriate us, and sometimes inevitably get into an argument with a faceless person for validation? Why do we let the comment section matter so much? If someone knows psychology and can step in with an educated response if be interested to read it. Her hair is gorgeous!

Siowiel
July 15th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Many people - at least in the states - feel that it is okay to intrude in stranger's lives. I really can't understand this as I've always been a private person and don't like to badger other people about anything because everyone's lives should be their own, especially when it comes to their bodies. I think that one reason is that they think hair past a certain length is unnecessary and could be put to "better" use by donating it to a charitable organization. What they fail to realize is that hair can have so much meaning to someone.

I doubt any of my friends or family members have heard of hair cutting for charity. I seem to remember Pantene or another brand staged an hair-cutting for charity event a few years back here in Germany, but even on that, I might be mistaken.
It's not only that it is not popular here, the pressure exercised by society to donate is somewhat less (our publicly funded social system MIGHT help with that...) and it is regarded as a private affair. For example, there are billboards and campaigns to get people to donate blood or register for bone marrow transplants, but if you don't... well, you don't.

Undomiel
July 15th, 2014, 04:11 AM
So here's an annoying question? Why do we bother reading comments? Why do we go forth, systematically, to infuriate ourselves? Don't get me wrong, I do it too, but why are we collectively so bent on reading comment sections, knowing full and well we will run across opinions that will infuriate us, and sometimes inevitably get into an argument with a faceless person for validation? Why do we let the comment section matter so much? If someone knows psychology and can step in with an educated response if be interested to read it. Her hair is gorgeous!

I wish I knew this too. I don't comment but I can't help with reading comments though. Maybe it's because due to the anonymity, we think people are more honest and we are curious about a person's true thoughts on a subject without being nicely filtered and PC? Don't know :confused:

furnival
July 15th, 2014, 04:20 AM
I don't know about psychology, but I find myself drawn to just have a peek at comments sections in exactly the same way that we used to poke roadkill carcasses with sticks as children: you know it's going to be disgusting, but there's something so foul about it that it's fascinating. :brains:

Federica
July 15th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Here in Italy, where I live, I never heard anybody suggest to donate hair, but when I read all your comments about it i get really mad.
If these people are so mindful about donating hair they should grow their own and donate it, THEN, MAYBE, they could - respectfully - invite you to do the same.

angstroms
July 15th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I would love it if my terminal length was that long! Although with the weight of my hair it would likely break my neck. Ah well.
I'm sentimental, so if I ever cut my hair short (I do LOVE short hair), I'll probably cut it off in one long braid and keep it, or give it to DH in a fancy case. He looooves my hair.

As for why we read the comments...I don't think it's really an unpleasant kind of anger. Like it's genuine sure, how could be not be angry about someone being judged on an issue that is dear to us? But at the same time, it's a sort of righteous anger. We know those people are out there, we've heard it all before. I dunno. I think sometimes it feels good to be a little mad. Hm...there are studies that go into the difference between the kind of sad you are when you listen to a sad song/watch a sad movie and the kind of sad you get when something horrible (death of a relative, loss of home, etc) happens. Maybe it's sort of like that? We are technically safe from criticisms directed at her, and having felt unsafe from criticisms like that before, we enjoy being angry at sort of an effigy of the people who upset us?? Not trying to sound pretentious or overly philosophical, just exploring the ideas. :confused:

RavennaNight
July 15th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I don't know about psychology, but I find myself drawn to just have a peek at comments sections in exactly the same way that we used to poke roadkill carcasses with sticks as children: you know it's going to be disgusting, but there's something so foul about it that it's fascinating. :brains:

:rollin: I'm more amused by that than I should be.

Theobroma
July 15th, 2014, 06:07 AM

No, never. I wouldn't even know about hair donation schemes (or scams, as the case may be) if I didn't read American websites.

We don't get flak about colouring grey either, or about cutting after a certain age because long hair is allegedly "too young" (or allegedly makes you look "old"; how those two stereotypes can exist simultaneously is beyond me). I think people in Europe just generally have a stronger grasp of the fact that it's outrageously rude to go around informing people that you think their appearance doesn't come up to scratch.

Heh. Yes. I was going to use the analogy of a bad train wreck. It's horrible but you can't resist looking anyway.

Mind you, I find that the attraction wears off after a while. Sooner or later you notice that the comments tend to break down into variations on maybe three or four different themes and even the most mindbogglingly stupid ones become too boring to keep bothering with. :)

Hrtchoco
July 15th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I've donated my hair when I was 17(because I wanted to chop them off anyway..so why not). However, I would never feel I'm superior because I've donated my hair. Not having a wig that's made out of real hair isn't going to kill anyone.

I do constantly ask my hubby to donate blood. I can't do it myself anymore since they rised the required weight...and I'm AB+, my blood is pretty much useless(my mother in law is working in the hospital, and she said they don't even keep AB). So I do tell people they should consider donating blood if they are very healthy with no phobia towards needles and etc. They don't have to donate every 8 weeks, or even every year, just donating once in their life time can help save lives.

chen bao jun
July 15th, 2014, 06:35 AM
I honestly don't know. Even though I don't read 'comments' I do continue to read ignorant things sometimes that are irritating. Yesterday, after posting "I don't read comments" I went over to the black hair care site, which I read sometimes because I think they have good advice on my specific haircare and got reminded what philosophical differences I have with some (not all) of the people there. They were all tied up in knots because a black 'natural hair' blogger allowed (gasp!) a white curly to post her story on the site. Some were saying, calm down, but the vast majority were completely over the top hysterical with all kinds of remarks like "can't we have anything to ourselves" and "white women can only talk about having natural hair if they have heard the clang of a hot comb on the stove and been told what grows out of their hairs is 'unacceptable'" (I guess somehow flatironing, bleach and being called a 'dirty' blond or 'dishwater' when you have a perfectly lovely haircolor doesn't count). I have to admit to reading on for a few pages before I reminded myself that some people are just invested in being the biggest 'victims' in our "I am a victim" society and nothing is ever going to calm them down and also that people mask their jealousy of others as self-righteousness quite a lot of the time. I'm guessing that a certain amount of 'you must donate' is said jealousy, masked as self-righteousness also. And some of it is just 'there is only right way to do things and I am the final judge of arbiter of exatly what that is.' I ran into this, to my surprise, this past weekend as I decided to enjoy my curls by wearing them the curliest possible, which is also the most shrunken possible and makes me appear to have ear length hair (I stretch a little past brastrap). I asked a friend if I looked okay as a curly curly and she, to my surprise, said she thought I looked so much better than usual, as 'longer hair doesn't really suit us older women, does it?" Then she backtracked tactfully to say that I was a 'youthful' looking old lady--but the opinion on 'longer hair' was still out there, as if it is unarguable--
To tell the truth, what I mostly felt was somewhat thrilled that *somebody* actually thought my hair length was 'too long', never thought that was possible at this length, but I could see that this could be highly, highly annoying if this was a remark people made to you perpetually. I don't think I'll ever get the 'donate' one but I can see how that would drive you around the bend, especially with those out there that actually go around with scissors snapping them at you... wow, just wow.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 16th, 2014, 01:01 AM
I know this is terrible... but I think at least part of the reason I am drawn to comment sections I know full well are going to be infuriating, is because it kind of makes me feel smart to see just how stupid some people are.

FireFromWithin
July 16th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Because that comment about the stool on top of the chair was hilarious? I don't know, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by comments but I do tend to brush of ignorance I find on the Internet.

On the subject of Europe and hair donation. I'm in the UK and I'm only hip but I've never had this kind of pressure. Never even been mentioned to me. I've also never had negative comments directly about my hair. One friend thinks anything past BSL is gross but I'm betting it's because she's never really seen any, we'll see what she says in the summer. But I guess most people here don't want the obvious embarrassment of insulting someone (especially a stranger) when no opinions have been asked for! I'm hoping to visit America again some day and I wonder if I'll notice it then.

JustPam
July 16th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I'm in Scotland and although I know people who have cut their hair for charity it's not that they are actually giving the hair to charity, but raising money by getting sponsored to do it. Much more useful to raise cash by doing that than donating the actual hair. I see Locks of Love say in the FAQ it takes about 6-10 ponytails to make one wig, which is insane, 6-10 sponsored hair choppings could raise so much money, enough for several wigs, or to provide extra medical care to patients that really need it. Sponsorship fundraisers are probably the most popular way of donating to charity here, people do all sorts, body waxing, 24 hour silences, marathons/10K's, skydives etc. I done a sponsored 24 hour famine once through my workplace (I think it was for Oxfam) and I worked in a KFC and was on a 12 hour shift that day, it was torture! But worth it.

RockyLvsAdrian
July 16th, 2014, 07:18 AM
I'm sentimental, so if I ever cut my hair short (I do LOVE short hair), I'll probably cut it off in one long braid and keep it, or give it to DH in a fancy case. He looooves my hair.

Awww. There's a scene in Willow where his wife cuts off her braid for her to take with him on his journey. Sweet!

dellad
July 16th, 2014, 09:27 AM
As for why we read the comments...I don't think it's really an unpleasant kind of anger. Like it's genuine sure, how could be not be angry about someone being judged on an issue that is dear to us? But at the same time, it's a sort of righteous anger. We know those people are out there, we've heard it all before. I dunno. I think sometimes it feels good to be a little mad. Hm...there are studies that go into the difference between the kind of sad you are when you listen to a sad song/watch a sad movie and the kind of sad you get when something horrible (death of a relative, loss of home, etc) happens. Maybe it's sort of like that? We are technically safe from criticisms directed at her, and having felt unsafe from criticisms like that before, we enjoy being angry at sort of an effigy of the people who upset us?? Not trying to sound pretentious or overly philosophical, just exploring the ideas. :confused:

This is a really insightful analysis, angstroms.

truepeacenik
July 16th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Here's one to read the comments.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/akdobbins/4-year-old-hippie-suspended-for-long-hair

I'm curious if any pro kiddie hair posters were anti adult woman hair.

katieing
July 16th, 2014, 12:31 PM
My friend donated about 14" of her hair last year (from hips to shoulder) and ever since then she has been bugging me about donating mine. I've told her that I like my hair but she just won't give up. It has made me so frustrated that she just won't listen to my reasons.