PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna perm my hair...

nena_shawty
July 14th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Ok so I have never permed my hair. I want to get bouncy curls by perming my hair. Spiral curls to be exact. I have almost tailbone length hair and it's pretty healthy. Has anyone got a perm on tailbone length hair? And is it a good idea? Yes, maybe, or nooooo don't do it?! I think my hair would do good with a perm, I used to have curly hair as a toddler and my hair curls pretty easily now. I'm just gonna have to get somebody very experienced with perms. My hair is very thick so it would prob cost an arm and a leg however maybe I'll get lucky and get somebody who won't charge over 100 dollars. So does anybody have any comments or advice? I'm gonna deep condition and hair treatments prior to perming, I know to do that. I know that their will be some damage but my hair is healthy enough so it won't totally make it crumble. I hope. Lol. I've been growing my hair out for 4 years from shoulder length. So I am a bit nervous. :hmm::pray:shudder::couch::hmm::scared: ok maybe a little bit more than a bit nervous lol.

lapushka
July 14th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I have had several perms in my day, and one recent one a few years ago. I only got one perm on long hair (MBL) and it was a spiral perm. The last perm I got, a few years ago, left my hair riddled with white dots. They all were cut out at some point, but that left my hair so thinned out (there really was a lot of damage), that we cut it back from almost TBL to about BSL.

As long as you know it's not damage-free and you're going to have to switch up the way you care for your hair (curly girl), it's all good.

Stormynights
July 14th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I was a hair stylist for over 40 years and my advice to you would be to forget the perm and just enjoy your hair as it is.

lunalocks
July 14th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I had waist hair when I permed it and I loved it, but I did not get corkscrew curls. I rolled it up wet in huge rollers for big, billowy curls. it lasted about 3 months and then found I had to get it permed again in about 6. The perm fell out and I had frizz. Next perm, I had my hair layered. I continued this was for 6 years. each haircut, my hair was shorter and shorter due to damage, until it was finally above my shoulders. I ended up cutting just below my ears to get rid of all the damage.

This was back in the 80s so perms may have changed since then. Just know that you will definitely lose length with curls - when I curl my TB hair I have corkscrews to BSL but no longer until the curl begins to fall out. Somehow I had thought I would still have this long, long hair but with curls. It doesn't work that way.

I would never perm my hair again as I have hair prone to damage. i am growing out pony tail damage! If your hair is tough, go for it.

HairFaerie
July 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I was a hair stylist for over 40 years and my advice to you would be to forget the perm and just enjoy your hair as it is.

Yes, this exactly!

MINAKO
July 14th, 2014, 06:01 PM
At this lenght, i'd too say forget about it, i don't have perm but chemical straightening expirience and those things jst dont work to well past BSL. Personally i find it almost funny looking back, because no matter how the result looks at first, those kind of processes will take away all life, movement and bounce from the hair (yes i know it'S dead anyways, but then that's what it will look too). If you are willig to prepare yourself to cut half of it, alright then.
They do pretty neat digital perms in korean or other asian salons as far as i know, but it might just look good because of the ultra strong and sleek hairtype they start out with. Anyways, i would never in a hundret years let anybody touch my hair with thioglycolates or other perm salts of that kind, brrrrr... that crispy feel!

queenovnight
July 14th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I recommend against it. I've not had a perm, but I had several relaxers as a child and let me tell you.. It's not worth it. Not only is the damage irreversible, but you can expect to lose a lot of length and split ends. I ended up having to get a good 4" cut off after my second relaxer, so I don't recommend either one. I also had a friend who had CL hair and she got a perm.. Ended up being her biggest hair mistake. She had to cut her CL hair to BSL afterwards. Just be happy with what cha got ^_^

spidermom
July 14th, 2014, 06:14 PM
The only way to get bouncy curls is from rollers. Perms tend to look kind of lifeless. I've had a number of them, but usually on hair around APL.

MINAKO
July 14th, 2014, 06:16 PM
There are so easy and fast options for heatless overnight curls too that take just a few minutes before going to bed. So it's not as if you weren't able to achieve beautiful curls otherwise. Don't fall for the convinience trap advertised along with a perm service. No matter how much you up the game taking care of your hair, the chance that it literally won't survive are damn high. I forgot to add that after a bad japanese straightening (which uses the same solution) i had to chop from hip to jaw.

Lyv
July 14th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I would avoid getting a perm honestly. They are so damaging and you'll most likely still have to style it so I think it makes more sense to take the time to put in some curlers at night.

itdontmatter48
July 14th, 2014, 06:35 PM
No, don't do it, imho, But it's your hair.

Beckstar
July 14th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Curls are gorgeous but perms can be so chemically damaging. Rollers would probably be your healthiest bet and you'd have the option to go between straight and curly and have no damage.

lunalocks
July 14th, 2014, 06:47 PM
By the way, I get great corkscrew curls with foam tubes.

Nadine <3
July 14th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I've never had a perm, but my aunt gets them. She pays an arm and a leg to get it done...and I don't think it looks nice at all. It looks fried, and then when your natural hair grows out it's straight on the top.

ExpectoPatronum
July 14th, 2014, 06:52 PM
If you don't mind the damage that inevitably will come from a perm, and are prepared to have results you may not like, I say go for it.

However, I would try other options first, like using heatless options to achieve curls instead.

winship2
July 14th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I would love love love to have curly hair. ZOMG would so love. I'd perm in a New York minute if I thought it would work. But I HAVE permed in the past, and the first perm is fine, but then it begins to fall out-- the perm AND some hair!-- and then perm number 2 looks worse and number 3 looks worse. I would strongly advise you against it, and it's not a philosophical objection to chemicals. I truly do not believe you will have the curls you want, and you will also lose not only money, but a good deal of your pretty hair.

But if you do it, best of luck shudder:

Lindseyh
July 14th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I found them to be unpredictable. My first was way too tight and I ended up looking like a cocker spaniel. The 2nd one "didn't take" and they did another one. That was my lesson in "love the hair I have". I loved that first one between when it loosened up until it was pretty much gone. I haven't had one in appx 2 yrs or more.

Carolyn
July 14th, 2014, 09:10 PM
No, just no don't do it. Learn to love your hair as it is and use rollers or some other heatless curling method. If you don't want to keep your hair at tailbone and are prepared for tons of damage and frizz then go for it. Honestly it's a really bad idea.

woodswanderer
July 14th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't do it...my two cents. Do what you like though.

nena_shawty
July 14th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Ok thank you everybody for your imput, that's what I needed to make up my mind. I'm not gonna do it. I like my hair and length too much. Besides my hair does curl quiet beautifully when I do overnight foam rollers. Besides, the money I was gonna use to perm my hair can be used for a great perfume for my birthday coming up soon :D thanks, y'all are great!

Nimia
July 14th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Ok thank you everybody for your imput, that's what I needed to make up my mind. I'm not gonna do it. I like my hair and length too much. Besides my hair does curl quiet beautifully when I do overnight foam rollers. Besides, the money I was gonna use to perm my hair can be used for a great perfume for my birthday coming up soon :D thanks, y'all are great!

Big sigh of relief.

So glad you're not going to do it. I swore in my teens never to get another, after feeling the stubble on my scalp from a perm.

Birthday perfume! Excellent! 1,000 times better use of money. :)

Feathered
July 15th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I'm so relieved to know you are not going to perm your hair. I've had several perms throughout my life and ended up eventually regretting them-why I kept doing it is beyond me! I guess I kept thinking "this one" will end up the way I want it to. In the end you're left with frizzy damaged hair and straight hair at the crown which is so obvious. So, good for you!! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 15th, 2014, 01:31 AM

Another mass of long hair was saved thanks to the LHC! :hifive:

fiğrildi
July 15th, 2014, 03:53 AM
My hair was very healthy and shiny before I started perming it. It was waist length, I believe. I wanted the same as you, bouncy curls, spiral ones... and I got the spirals I wanted, for sure. But I ended up with awful fried, frizzy hair.

It's so relieving to hear that you're not gonna do it! I have never regretted something as much as perming my hair... and growing it out is awful!
I'm gonna leave you a scary picture of how my hair looked after 3 years of perms

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/PAJAROTRISTE/b16septiembre2013.jpg

martyna_22
July 15th, 2014, 04:17 AM
My mom had a perm over a year ago, it fried the hell out of her hair. She has chin length hair, so it hadn't been much damaged, only quite fine, and she has sworn off perms forever. She dyed her hair conventionally, and her hair was so damaged afterwards that the dye faded right away and she was left with fried, not that curly - more frizzy hair. The only thing that seems to have helped was henna, but she cuts off the previously fried bits on a regular basis, as they don't look right.
So I'd say, please, don't do it.

MINAKO
July 15th, 2014, 04:36 AM
God knows how many times i have left this viedeo in a thread here, but if you are fine with foan rollers, the sponge method is definitely for you. It's much quicker and also super fast and easy to get out in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z2Ofvrtvc

sally_neuf
July 15th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Ehh I have almost TBL hair, last time I wanted bouncy curls I just did a giant rag-bun. Works like a charm and gives me beautiful curls. (besides, I will wrap them with oil so is even good for my hair!)
Also, definitely easier and faster than putting on rollers, if you're bit lazy like me :)

Instructions! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51944)

lunalocks
July 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I am so glad to hear you are not going the perm route. The above head of fried hair? That was me after 3 years of perms. And the MONEY I wasted. Perfume is a MUCH better choice.

Hrtchoco
July 15th, 2014, 01:47 PM
My vote is a no. My mom wanted to get a perm, and I said mom, don't do it! It will look awful. She of course didn't listn and did it anyway. I was right it did look awful. My mom of course said she loved it. A few month later, he hair went back to normal, and she told me she actually hated it, just didn't want to admit I was right.

Edit: I'm glad you are not going to do it!

GetMeToWaist
July 15th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I personally wouldnt get one as it damages your hair so much especially since you have lovely long TBL hair... Could you just do heatless curling maybe like sock buns overnight or princess leia buns, or straw curls?

catamonica
August 1st, 2014, 06:28 PM
I would just braid it at night. Wet it. In the morning it will be wavy. Braid it when you wear it up. It would be much healthier for your hair.

Kherome
August 1st, 2014, 06:33 PM

This !!!!!