PDA

View Full Version : Unintended LHC side effects

kganihanova
July 14th, 2014, 02:32 PM
This is a thread to list your unintended LHC side effects on your appearance or health or interactions.

I'll start.

My nails are really strong and really hard to clip because they're thick. I also have to clip them weekly, I never had that before.

My skin is a lot clearer due to eating healthy and drinking a lot of water. My protein intake is also fab.

queenovnight
July 14th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Ooo! I've learned to handle personal situations in a better and more mature way. - Friendship Board has oddly taught me a lot! So much advice, and a lot of the women here are older mature ladies, and more experienced. So it's really helpful to get advice from those who've dealt with similar situations, but can honestly tell you the best way to deal with it.

kganihanova
July 14th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Ooo! I've learned to handle personal situations in a better and more mature. - Friendship Board has oddly taught me a lot! So much advice, and a lot of the women here are older mature ladies, and more experienced. So it's really helpful to get advice from those who've dealt with similar situations, but can honestly tell you the best way to deal with it.

I love lurking on the friendship board :) its so encouraging!

molljo
July 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I would say that I'm happier and overall a lot more confident. I only have bad hair days a couple times a month, if that, and that makes me feel infinitely better about myself, and I'm becoming more outgoing. My nails also grow very quickly, which is kind of annoying, since I prefer short nails. I've also found that lots of my friends have gotten interested in their hair, particularly hairtyping. It's really gratifying to experience their joy and surprise when they discover that they're secret wavies or curlies, and I look forward to seeing how their hair journeys go as they learn to work with it instead of against it.

Nightshade
July 14th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Let's see:

- I have an IUD
- I have a menstrual cup

I've learned how to offer advice in a way that is more gentle and leads people to a solution on their own.

I'm determined to get SOMEONE else keeping bees :twisted:

woodswanderer
July 14th, 2014, 03:23 PM
My hair went from being in the 1's from lack of moisture in preLHC to being in the 2's.

I've gotten good advice on life in general.

I have better tact than I had previously.

Quasiquixotic
July 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM

We are well on our way. We just need to get some greenhouses and plants

proo
July 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I've gradually gone cavegal whole hog -
NW/SO hair, dry brush face and body.
I knew nothing of these practices before LHC.
so watch out, this place can CHANGE a person.
Btw, I've never felt so groomed and . . glamorous.

ExpectoPatronum
July 14th, 2014, 03:37 PM
LHC has taught me that there are some truly wonderful people on the internet!

I've also bought a menstrual cup, and I've learned to be more confident about putting my hair up in updos.

I'm sure there's a ton more but I'm drawing a blank.

Anje
July 14th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Let's see:

- I have an IUD
- I have a menstrual cup

I've learned how to offer advice in a way that is more gentle and leads people to a solution on their own.

You've managed to get quite a few people here to try epilating..... XD

kdaniels8811
July 14th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I made a ton of new friends!

Cania
July 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Wearing cloth menstrual pads, only using natural products on my body, cooking fresh food daily, drinking more water... being a dirty hippy in general, I suppose.

Nimia
July 14th, 2014, 04:28 PM
After I leave the house, I no longer have that panicked thought, "Did I turn off the curling iron?" Because, you know… no more curling iron.

I spend less time and money on my hair than pre-LHC, but it looks better.

Nadine <3
July 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I use cloth pads now...I put food in my hair...

LHC is very rapidly making my a hippie lol

Ocelan
July 14th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I think LHC has made me a nicer person. I mean I was nice before, but I was less nice to mean people. I do not see a reason to be mean to anyone. It does not give me anything. I will protect myself, but even if someone else is mean to me, I'm trying to not be mean to them but instead sort the situation in a calm fashion. It makes atleast myself feel much better since I don't have to regret what I said to them. LHC is full of positive energy. :)

My bathroom shelf is much less cluttered as there are so few products there now. I've saved hundreds of euros having not bought haircolor or having not gone to the salon in 2.5 years. :)

Kimberly
July 14th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I never expected to learn so much about different kinds of wood!

hairpleasegrow
July 14th, 2014, 05:23 PM
-I've learned to be more careful about what I say and how I say things to others. Still learning :)
-I've started juicing , I've cut out sugars, and cut most alcohol
-I've become more health obsessed with my hair so unfortunately a lot has come off since joining the LHC (not sure I like this side effect :)
-I've stopped going to the hair salon (so I've saved $$)
-I take more vitamins
-I've become more impatient with growing out my hair !!! Too many lovely heads of hair on the LHC !!! :)

two_wheels
July 14th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I think I understand better that people are very different, and have different views of the world, and that those views are true to those people, and they're not just 'wrong'.
I have more faith in people after seeing the warmth and generosity of members here.
My wallet is lighter because hairtoys.
But that is mitigated somewhat, because no more haircuts.
My bathroom has way fewer products. Coconut oil for ALL the things!

lapushka
July 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Hmm, let's see. I've generally gotten to be a little more patient (not my forté). This also reflects on my hair. So my hair, which refused to grow beyond BSL (because I was so scissor-happy) actually grew to almost TBL twice now. Also, I think I use a little more tact (also not my forté).

Loviatar
July 14th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Whole30, paleo and Goddess spirals. :D I can't say Mooncup as I had one before LHC.

And all my money goes on hair toys...

I wish I could keep bees!

viking_quest
July 14th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I am more open to other people's opinions without feeling that they are wrong and attacking my viewpoints.

The ladies on this board have definitely made me less shallow and see the beauty in everybody.

And the IUD [that thing is amazing].

Anje
July 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Oh boy...

I've got an IUD and an epilator now. More Ficcares than I can wear at once... And the whole Goddess Spiral thing started me on the trek to stretching my ears (which are at 8-9mm now, and there they'll stay). My nails are hennaed.

I suspect I've talked a few LHCers into trying Vibram Five Fingers, since they've helped my feet so much.

And I've made some good friends!

kitana97
July 14th, 2014, 08:31 PM
My use of "lol" has significantly decreased, which is good because I've overused it in sentences way too much. For hair - my hair has grown longer than it's ever been before. I've learned to appreciate my natural hair color in it's natural state, ie: not using heat tools. I've also learned that fancy expensive shampoos/products have alot of crap in them and aren't better for your hair than the cheaper stuff. I've saved plenty of money by using cheaper, natural products and only going to the salon for a trim once a year.

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I've grown long strong nails due to the information I've learned here
My hair grows better and gets proper care.
My water and food choices are better.
I'm more blissful then I was.

Seeshami
July 14th, 2014, 09:32 PM
BEST FRIEND EVER!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/44021141-df44-4ebe-8407-cfa43d8f259f_zpsad4833e3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/44021141-df44-4ebe-8407-cfa43d8f259f_zpsad4833e3.jpg.html)

amanda_the_tall
July 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I've been introduced to different hair and health care methods that I've never heard of! I've learned a lot about how to see other people's viewpoints and received GREAT advice and was encouraged to stand up for myself and become my own person rather than being scared of off putting people. I've received relationship and fitness advice, and ultimately my hair is back to its virgin state and I've accepted that it will not be the ideal fluffy hair but that it's ok.

restless
July 15th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Side effect one: I came here with dry, damaged, dyed hair and used a ton of products and styling tools (gel, spray, mousse, dye, blow dryer, flat iron, various deep treatments...). Ive cut it all out and my routine now is very, very simple: shampoo, conditioner and oil. Nothing else. I trim my hair by myself too. I never thought the less the better before I found this place.

You´d think the new and simple routine mentioned above would help me save tons of money, right? Ha... no, for side effect two is a ridiculous hair toy addiction.

Last side effect is the use of oils. I bought them primarily to use for my hair, but Ive ended up using them on my skin and nails too (moisturiser, makeup removal, etc).

embee
July 15th, 2014, 06:54 AM
I've discovered etsy (maybe not such a good thing?). ;)
... which is teaching me financial self control!
NW/SO and WO.
Learned to say nothing more frequently.

Laurenji
July 15th, 2014, 08:04 AM
- I don't wash my body with soap any more.
- I learned how to French/Dutch braid my own hair
- If I'm caught somewhere without a hairtie, I can still get my hair up with pretty much anything that comes to hand - pens, pencils, chopsticks, plastic cutlery, scissors, electrical cords...
- I care both more and less about my hair.

apynip
July 15th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Though I've been on an LHC break I retained some things.

-Healthful eating for the most part(it's hard to in college)
-Drinking more water
-Oiling my hair once a week or more
-Some what got me more into historical costuming because I know more hairstyles now.

brickworld13
July 15th, 2014, 08:24 AM
-Hennahead
-Cannot go anywhere for an extended period (read: more than a day trip) without my tangle teezer and boar bristle brush
-Use coconut oil for pretty much everything
-Less frequent washing, and what my mother would label as "extreme use of conditioner"
-More natural products overall
-More positive self image along with a better outlook on my personal health

dellad
July 15th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I never expected to learn so much about different kinds of wood!

This is exactly what I was going to say.

AspenSong
July 15th, 2014, 10:05 AM
BEST FRIEND EVER!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/44021141-df44-4ebe-8407-cfa43d8f259f_zpsad4833e3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/44021141-df44-4ebe-8407-cfa43d8f259f_zpsad4833e3.jpg.html)

Hey!! That's meeee! lol.

I ditto Seeshami.
Also I'm far for chemical-free in any of my beauty products than I once was. I always tried to watch and avoid certain things, but it's more spread throughout my products more.

I have gathered enough natural hair care info and talked about it outside here enough that I have pushed one person to to start using coconut oil and simplify their hair routine.

kganihanova
July 15th, 2014, 11:11 AM
- I discovered henna. Love it. Keep coming back to it. Relatively damage free way to have fun with hair color.

SunnyIC
July 15th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I've learned a lot from everybody and I'm thankful for the advice and knowledge:
- I use oil. Lot's of it too. Never did that before LHC, didn't even knew people did that!
- TONS of conditioner. Really. I even have more than one! (currently three, one that I keep forgetting to use)
- Wear my hair up most of the time now (exception on washing days until it completely dries) and braid it! I use to hate braids with all my heart.
- I (like other said before) have learned that people have different views from mine and that's okay. It doesn't mean they are wrong or I'm wrong. It's different. And it's okay. :)
- I'm generally more in tune with nature and all things natural.
- I take vitamins now! (last time I did this I was 6/7 and my mother forced us :lol: )
- I learned that people CAN have really long hair. It's not a myth or something we only see in cartoons and great wigs in show.
- I started to love all things fantasy and medieval. I even watched the Lord of the Rings movies! (and will watch the Star Wars ones, never had any interest in these things)
- Lastly I think I finally found a place where I fit in. The things we do seem strange to the outside world, but not here.
Sorry for the length, but I learned a lot from everybody. Thank you for all the advice by the way :).

earthybee
July 15th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Wearing cloth menstrual pads, only using natural products on my body, cooking fresh food daily, drinking more water... being a dirty hippy in general, I suppose.

This made me laugh out loud! Thankfully I was already crunchy granola before LHC. :lol:

My two expensive hair straighteners were gifted to thrilled friends.

blace
July 15th, 2014, 02:26 PM
LHC has helped to make me more health conscience. Aside from healthy hair, my nails and skin have improved drastically thanks to new healthy habits.

Also, my patience level has increased...I've learned to focus more on long term goals and less on instant gratification.

chen bao jun
July 15th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Besides entirely new hair that feel softs and behaves :) and the hairtoy addiction :eek:
I've started selling things on ebay! I was always afraid to do that, though I would buy there. I have not sold any ficcares there (I'm too attached to the only ficcares that would actually bring money in) but using the swap board here taught me to use paypal and ship things and now I am happily selling my husband's old electronics for him--hasn't netted much money but does clear out the house.;)

TheLuckyLurker
July 15th, 2014, 08:10 PM
-I've learned my hair doesn't have to be straight to look good.
-Diva cups.
-I've become addicted to Nutella.
-I actually started wearing dresses and skirts, which I previously refused to do.
-I've learned that even though I've never had a relationship or even dated, I still seem to have a pretty good grasp of the difference between a good relationship, and a bad one.

HumanBean
July 15th, 2014, 11:40 PM
I've actually written about this before on a couple of different threads. LHC (in part, a major part) inspired me to finally lose the extra 40 lbs I had on my body frame, change my skin are and makeup routines, reorganize my entire wardrobe, declutter my home. All un-intended consequences.

Crumpet
July 16th, 2014, 02:30 AM
What a great thread! Like others have said, I think its been great for my self-esteem. I have always had long (although not by LHC standards!) hair and been pretty crunchy-earthy. The LHC made me feel really good about that and encouraged me further in that direction. I feel more positive about my natural hair colour, eschewing beauty norms, and I place more emphasis on what makes me feel attractive, healthy, and happy.

Although I'd like to think I have saved money, I fear that my love of ficcare, hair forks, and other delightful hair bling may have counterbalanced the money I have saved on cheaper hair products and no trips to the salon.

RubyTuesday
July 17th, 2014, 01:24 AM
I think the main one for me is that I have come to realise that spending more and buying more does not always equal healthier hair. I have also come to the realisation (and this is a big one for me) that I do not have to be blonde to be attractive. I still love blonde hair and will probably go back to it intermittently, but I can be red or brown and that is OK!

julee
July 17th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Healthier lifestyle habits, better hair and a hairtoy addiction! :D (and an extensive knowledge of all the international shipping options at Australia Post)

proo
July 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Another one: found out about body rolling.

grimsqueaker
July 17th, 2014, 10:45 PM
- My nails are far stronger and my skin is clearer.

- My hair straightens far more readily, instead of looking like a brillo pad no matter what I did to it.

- I no longer fear getting older.

- In that same vein, it's such a welcome relief from all of the immature idiots on Tumblr. Seriously. That place is legitimately scary.

Laurenji
July 18th, 2014, 07:52 AM
- In that same vein, it's such a welcome relief from all of the immature idiots on Tumblr. Seriously. That place is legitimately scary.

Hahaha. I love Tumblr, but it's true that it's a drama-a-minute over there. It's entertaining, but in a COMPLETELY different way than LHC. LHC is much more comfortable.

GrowingOut
July 18th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hahaha. I love Tumblr, but it's true that it's a drama-a-minute over there. It's entertaining, but in a COMPLETELY different way than LHC. LHC is much more comfortable.

LHC is like a warm, cackling fire with a cozy blanket, good book, and hot chocolate. Tumblr is a rave party where the music is too loud and everyone drowns each other out. Sure they have their advantages, but LHC feels like, "home."

Ambystoma
July 18th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I have very very few skin woes these days after learning about the oil cleansing method here about 2 years ago - it's amazing! I used to break out all the time and had to use benzoyl peroxide every night but my skin cleared up really well after only a few weeks, and all my pregnancy/ postpartum skin weirdness has been pretty mild and short lived too. I get compliments on my skin a lot these days and dilute my foundation in half with moisturiser since it doesn't need as much coverage any more.

Laurenji
July 19th, 2014, 06:40 AM
I thought of another one! I now know how to fill out customs forms so that packages I send internationally will arrive intact.

GrowingOut
July 19th, 2014, 08:18 AM
LHC taught me how to stand up for myself when people get pushy about my appearance.

EdG
July 19th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I am more social than I used to be. I check this board multiple times a day. ;)
Ed

T-Red
July 19th, 2014, 09:11 AM
LHC taught me how to stand up for myself when people get pushy about my appearance.

This. I am pretty sure I would have caved in and buzzed my hair again if not for encouragement from LHC. Now I am doing what I want and am working to be hapy with how I look, even if co-workers and such give me static for it. Also gave me the confidence to get my ears pierced, not once, but twice.

DaniJoy
July 19th, 2014, 07:59 PM
The one place I have found that I can be crazy hair obsessed and know it is ok! That there is talk of alternative hair and I can talk about it too and not get strange looks! Also, people here seem to be so nice and have real stuff to say. Yay!

Lirona
July 20th, 2014, 01:25 AM
I can identify a lot of wood species by sight now. It's a neat side effect that has come from my nasty hair toy addiction (which is also a result of joining LHC)!

Johannah
July 20th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Being on this forum improved my English!

Nebulae
July 20th, 2014, 05:55 AM
There's probably a bunch of things I'm forgetting (or am not thinking of) but other than hair related things I'm really happy to have ditched all my chemical-laden face cleansing products. I now use the oil cleansing method together with occasional honey washing, I rarely need to moisturize my face anymore. If I do, I use aloe vera gel mixed with mango butter or an organic face cream in the winter. So cheap and I've never had skin this great looking!
The epilator thread gave me courage to try the one I bought years ago but never used.
I've started drinking more water and eating healthier, also picked up a bit of running and yoga. :)

bonbon58
July 20th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I can identify a lot of wood species by sight now. It's a neat side effect that has come from my nasty hair toy addiction (which is also a result of joining LHC)!

THIS! i never knew that there would be so much to learn about different types of wood

Stellaaa
July 20th, 2014, 06:55 PM
THIS! i never knew that there would be so much to learn about different types of wood

Oh yeah, I'm another one of those. I used to walk into a guitar store, and I would see ... you know ... guitars. Now I see purpleheart and paduak and bloodwood and gee, I wonder what that one is made of?

And hairtoys! Holy crap, what a revelation! I had long hair for 30 years before I found LHC (in a google search for the effects of color oops on long hair), but never had any hair stuff that actually fit and worked for me. It used to take me at least 10 minutes to put up my hair - in high, tight, pony tail, then braid it, then net it, then pin it (with my same 5 precious crinkle Amish type pins). Now I can do more elaborate dos on under minute. So there - saved time is an unintended consequence of discovering appropriate hairtoys.

I was already pretty much a dirty hippie before I found this place, so that didn't change :)

mariakatija
July 20th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I have learned that my hair is "perfect" and I don't need to be constantly changing it. (Straighter, lighter, less frizzy, etc.) Although, I still want it longer. ;)