PDA

View Full Version : UGH! Encouragement needed!!! Cut to bob, it's awful.

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Okay so I got pretty tired of my hair. It was also damaged after too much heat styling. I decided that maybe a bob would give me a good lift in spirits and do better this time. I had always done okay with layered bobs quite a few years ago before I decided to grow long.

Fast forward, 4 months after getting my jaw-length bob. My hair is AWFUL. Thankfully I can barely put it up in a high ponytail that curls. I cannot wear it down at all without having the dreaded triangle look. Why oh WHY did I do that?

Growing again. I need to reread here so I can start taking care of my hair again.

Encouragement??? Feeling depressed and sad about my hair!

gus
July 14th, 2014, 08:58 AM
That kind of thing is hugely discouraging - I'm so sorry you're dealing with it. But you'll absolutely get back to the length that you like, don't worry! It will just take some time and patience.

I think you're absolutely right to take advantage of this time to treat your hair more gently; it sounds like a lot of your frustration stemmed from the way it was looking after a lot of damage. Think of this as a great opportunity to grow healthier hair the first time around, rather than having to deal with long hair that's damaged.

The picture in your signature is absolutely lovely - you'll get back there in no time!

RubyTuesday
July 14th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Keep looking at your siggy to remind yourself how good you look with long hair!
Don't beat yourself up too much. Many of us have made hair mistakes (it is why a lot of us are here in the first place!) and you live and learn - hopefully. Just be grateful you did not go any shorter than a bob :wink:

This time next year it will be longish again and it will be plain sailing from there.

Maybe stick a photo up on your dressing table or have one as your screensaver of you with lovely long hair to remind you to stay away from scissors.

AmyBeth
July 14th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Today is a new day and the beginning of a new journey. If you never do a big chop again, then today your hair is as short as it's ever going to be. In any case, it's surely longer today than it was yesterday, and tomorrow it will be even longer! Decide to love your hair today, treat it lovingly, take care of your beautiful curls. Know that soon you won't have to decide to love it, you just will!

woodswanderer
July 14th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I actually don't think triangle hair looks so bad. I think it looks as though it had a mind of its own. Try to see the good in all stages. For now, it is easy to have your hair down, you need less hair product, and your hair weighs less.

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Wow thanks all of you! I am getting out all my natural hair products and things again. I do remember the old ways and products that worked on me before so that's a plus! I w*on't have so much trial and error!

Carolyn
July 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Oh no! It sucks to hate your hair. But now you can start fresh and be excited about growing again. I like what someone above said about never having to have hair that short again. Great way to look at it. At least you can do a ponytail in the summer heat and get it off your neck. It will be a nice length for updos next summer. Enjoy the cute twists and bouncy short ponytails now.

kganihanova
July 14th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Curly short ponytails are adorable IMO so poufy and nicely formed! Curly bobbed hair in general is really cute.

lapushka
July 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Maybe you can have a few layers cut back in, if they aren't already in there to begin with. Other than that, best keep growing. What's done is done, can't glue it back on. ;) You'll get past the triangle head in no-time, I'm sure. Happy growing, BTW!!! Join a few threads here on length stages and growing (BSL to waist, chin to shoulder, etc.) for encouragement!

spidermom
July 14th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Glad to see you, sorry you had to lose your hair. It'll grow back. Maybe you'll hang out with us a bit more often.

I agree with lapushka about layers. They help.

Mainesongbird
July 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Maybe you could do some styling to break up the triangleness, like twisting back the sides or maybe you could do little twists to pull it all up , look on pintrest and YouTube to find some hair inspiration for your current length and before you know it you'll have more length.

fiğrildi
July 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Courage, girl! You'll have your long hair back! Now you can enjoy the softness of your short healthy hair :flower:
And imagine how much healthier and beautiful it will look when you reach your length goal!

Undomiel
July 14th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I actually don't think triangle hair looks so bad. I think it looks as though it had a mind of its own. Try to see the good in all stages. For now, it is easy to have your hair down, you need less hair product, and your hair weighs less.

This is true :) And there are tons of half up styles for bob length hair (including all those lovely 50s pin up dos... it's basically ideal for that! I can't even imagine marilyn monroe with long hair, and she's the epitome of sex symbol thus nothing wrong with rocking a bob ;))

Sharysa
July 14th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Ugh, triangle head. Hugs to you!

In addition to the advice already given, this is a pretty good time to do half-ups and headband braids. However, I advice caution with layers since they can either help take weight off or make things worse.