PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles to put up and forget

Shibe
July 13th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I'm looking for an easy hairstyle to put up and forget. I'm looking for something I can wear weeks at a time and will require minimal re-doing.

Any simple braids? My hair is very fine and I'm still having issues with breakage. I've been stuck at 27 inches since last year :-/. I just want to put it up and forget it for a while, and hope to gain some length.

Ingrid
July 13th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Not a braid, but a French twist is nice - most of the hair is tucked away and protected, and it holds like a rock for the whole day.

Quasiquixotic
July 13th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Crown braid? Woven braid?

Lemme run to YouTube. Brb!

Eta: like this:

http://youtu.be/HDV2xI6rLIM

Nadine <3
July 13th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I have fine hair prone to breakage as well, and I wore it in french braids almost exclusively for 2 months. The biggest thing is making sure you're holding the end with something that won't cause breakage. No metal. I like the little cloth ones for small kids for when I'm at home, but I have little black no metal ones I use when I go out. I love braids...buns, not so much.

neko_kawaii
July 13th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I did a French braid on my sis and tucked the ends up and secured it with a fork the other day. It looked great and was easy to do.

Anje
July 13th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Honestly, if you're fighting breakage, I'd stick to buns with the ends tucked in, even if it means redoing more frequently than a bunch of braids. My ends always ended up feeling in rough shape after a week or two in braids, probably partly because they need a tight elastic to hold them rather than holding themselves like more curly hair can often do.

Quasiquixotic
July 13th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Ooh, what about a paranda braid bun?

Johannah
July 14th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Honestly, if you're fighting breakage, I'd stick to buns with the ends tucked in, even if it means redoing more frequently than a bunch of braids. My ends always ended up feeling in rough shape after a week or two in braids, probably partly because they need a tight elastic to hold them rather than holding themselves like more curly hair can often do.

Yes, exactly this.

I wear my hair in a bun at daytime and in a braid at night time. I comb my hair once, really gentle. It works like a charm.

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I agree with the buns and I'd try to use a snood or something to hold it that way you're not using a bunch of hair pins.

Shibe
July 14th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I decided on an orchid bun using a small crochet hook. Not the prettiest since I don't have thick hair, but man is this thing secure!

Shibe
July 14th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Also, thanks for all of the suggestions!

Hiding my ends would definitely be better for my hair :toast:

vulgarshudder
July 14th, 2014, 05:14 AM
I don't know about weeks, hair texture on the straighter end is really hard to hold in braids without getting frizzy after a few days. I can keep double french/dutch braids in for a few days if I braid them tight when damp (bit if hair gel can't hurt), day 3 though I prefer to redo them. The two pig tails can be pinned up in a bun or around the crown depending on your length. Oh and sleeping in head scarf/bonnet will help the fuzzing.

Now if you've got alot of time styles with a lot of braids pinned (or even better sewn up) will keep for a few days. Grecian wheel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOE5-2ZvcH4&list=PLsTyAtm1Q9Iq6PXmBTJTQpJyE7gCsDUKj) and Lathgertha Inspired Braided Updo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-snBOFNv2vM) But again gel to plaster down fuzzing and wearing a head scarf at night are essential for me to keep it a few days.

woolyleprechaun
July 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Vulgarshudder beat me to it- I was going to suggest the same things!
Personally, if I want a style I can leave for a few days, I will do a crown braid. I've found them increasingly difficult as my length increases, so if I'm going to that kind of trouble I want it to last. A sleep scarf or bonnet is essential for preserving the style.
Nowadays, I really can't be bothered to do a braided style for just one day! Quite often, I will wash on a Sunday, enjoy clean hair and buns for a few days and do an elaborate braided 'do when the greasies start setting in. And then I'm good till next wash day, and I've had absolutely zero hair hassle :)

chen bao jun
July 14th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I ditto crown braids holding for 3-4 days. I did this the first year I was on LHC. At night, I would dampen a stocking cap with Kimberlily's defrizz spray and cover the braids carefully and put a satin cap on over that. In the morning I would smooth the edges with aloe vera gel. I would take out the hair pins at night.

lapushka
July 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM
What about a simple Lazy Wrap Bun?

islandboo
July 14th, 2014, 08:09 AM
As far as braiding straight hair, I do well using a paranda (albeit a very thin one made of embroidery floss rather than yarn just to keep the bulk down.). That lets me braid the paranda ends past the ends of my hair so that no actual hair is free at the end and I can secure it with whatever I like without fear of damaging the ends. It also leaves me with nice braid waves all the way to the end of the hair when I take the braid out :)