PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - scalp acne after castor oil treatment?

meliel
July 13th, 2014, 02:09 PM
This thread is old, but just wanted to add something here anyway because I'm currently experiencing this issue... I almost never get pimples. Not on my face, not on my scalp. Two days ago, I did a castor oil treatment on my scalp because my hairline has been thinning a bit. It seems to have been getting better, but now I've developed pimples on my hairline just above my temples (they can't be popped, though... Just kind of like annoying bumps). Just in that area that usually recedes in older women/men. I don't know why this is suddenly happening, I've used castor oil before and never experienced this. Have I not washed it out properly? Should I do an ACV rinse, and if I do, will that dry out my fine hair and cause it to break easily? I'm trying to prevent hair breakage and damage... Oh my. Someone help me. :pray: Also wondering if it's a bad thing that I get pimples in this area, growth-wise? Does it damage my hair follicles or the skin or anything? I hope it doesn't prevent growth in the specific areas where I get these pimples and that the pimples heal and allow hair growth? I don't understand this in particular...

Anje
July 13th, 2014, 05:16 PM
This thread is old, but just wanted to add something here anyway because I'm currently experiencing this issue... I almost never get pimples. Not on my face, not on my scalp. Two days ago, I did a castor oil treatment on my scalp because my hairline has been thinning a bit. It seems to have been getting better, but now I've developed pimples on my hairline just above my temples (they can't be popped, though... Just kind of like annoying bumps). Just in that area that usually recedes in older women/men. I don't know why this is suddenly happening, I've used castor oil before and never experienced this. Have I not washed it out properly? Should I do an ACV rinse, and if I do, will that dry out my fine hair and cause it to break easily? I'm trying to prevent hair breakage and damage... Oh my. Someone help me. :pray: Also wondering if it's a bad thing that I get pimples in this area, growth-wise? Does it damage my hair follicles or the skin or anything? I hope it doesn't prevent growth in the specific areas where I get these pimples and that the pimples heal and allow hair growth? I don't understand this in particular...

Is it itchy or irritated? Something about your description makes me wonder if it's dermatitis rather than acne.

I don't think you necessarily need to do anything, though an extra shampooing might not hurt, in case there's still some oil clogging pores or irritating your scalp. It probably won't hurt your hair in any way. And if you want to do an acv rinse (not necessary, imo), it won't hurt your hair as long as you dilute it well in water -- lots of us always do mild acidic rinses with only positive results for smoothing our hair, keeping scalps happy, and/or counteracting hard water.

Edited to add: I'm spinning this off as a new thread. Hopefully that will help you get more advice. :)

lapushka
July 13th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I second shampooing to get all the oil off. Castor oil might just not be for you!

meliel
July 13th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Is it itchy or irritated? Something about your description makes me wonder if it's dermatitis rather than acne.

It's not itchy or irritated!!! I am SO confused because it is neither of these! :( I just have these bumps... Goodness me. I'll be doing an ACV rinse, just like you said, diluted in water to keep it mild for my hair... I'll let you know how it goes and let's just see how quickly those little pimply bumps go away.

Ohhh, Anje, thank you for doing that! I hope to get more answers, and in case anybody else is experiencing this, that they can find the answer, too!

meliel
July 13th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I second shampooing to get all the oil off. Castor oil might just not be for you!

It sucks because I used castor oil before without any issues, I actually swore by it, and now I just seem to get these weird pimples. I feel sad because I looooove castor oil. I hope I can get to the bottom of this!

Silverbrumby
July 13th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Google in pimple like bumps on scalp. My scalp hates oil and bring dirty. I lose hair if I put oil on it. I now use nizoral shampoo and its helped with dumps and shedding.

In2wishin
July 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM
My scalp bumps stopped when I stopped using products with the formaldehyde releasing preservatives, so for me it was an allergic reaction.

lapushka
July 14th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Google in pimple like bumps on scalp. My scalp hates oil and bring dirty. I lose hair if I put oil on it. I now use nizoral shampoo and its helped with dumps and shedding.

Same here. I have Seborrheic Dermatitis, and oil on my scalp has quite a bad effect, it exacerbates the condition in fact. Not saying that you have SD, but shampooing might be your only option here.