PDA

View Full Version : Which hair color should I aim for (pics)?

sugarpixie10988
July 12th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Hello LHC! It's been awhile since I've posted here it seems, but I return seeking opinions! I've grown tired of my natural dark blonde hair this past year or so. I feel like with my pale skin it washes me out unless I use self tanner. I began dying my hair with semi-permanent red dye and I really, really love it. I like it so much that I want to henna it (exciting!). I'm currently waiting for the color to fade back to my natural color so I can harvest some hair to do some test strands. In the meantime, I've been pouring over the henna threads, as well as trying to decide what color to aim towards, which is where you guys come in!

Which color do you guys think looks best on me? The darker, the lighter, maybe something between? Can I achieve those colors with henna?
Here's option number one (darker red):
http://i.imgur.com/3PIp4CS.jpg

Then there's the lighter one:
http://i.imgur.com/sy6pQSx.jpg

And just for reference, this is my natural color:
http://i.imgur.com/aTM9iSL.jpg

Thoughts are appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 12th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think your natural color washes you out at all, but that being said, my favorite is the dark red. Also, I love your Ninja Turtles shirt! :o

allycat
July 12th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I really like your blonde.

The darker red works and is very striking, but I prefer the lighter red as it looks more natural on you.

queenovnight
July 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I also really like your blonde hair. It's beautiful.

But back to red! If you want something that stands out, I would go with the dark red. But if you want it to look a bit more natural, I would go with the lighter.

sugarpixie10988
July 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys! The reason I don't look washed out with my natural color in that pic is because I'm wearing (a lot of) self tanner. Thank you though :)

gus
July 12th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I voted cheese because... well, cheese, but in all honesty I think all three colors look great on you! Some questions for you might be: which one was the easiest to maintain, which one made you smile the most when you checked yourself out in the mirror, which one did you feel more confident with? Those might help you figure out which color to go with.

Atira
July 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Darker definitely. Or natural blonde. The lighter looks kinda odd with your skin tone. You are gorgeous, btw.

fiğrildi
July 12th, 2014, 02:45 PM
My favourite is your natural colour (which is not dark blonde, but medium-light I would say). But if you're going to henna, darker red suits you better, auburn maybe.

MINAKO
July 12th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Dang girl! You are very pretty and the red suits you well, but i voted for cheese. Reason being is that i really prefer your blond and all i could think of is to get some darker and very ashy lowlights to up the game or even gor for an overall ashier tone to make you eyes stand out more.
If it has to be red i would go for something light but sort of intense and more towards orange than burgundy. the dark one ooks better in the pics to me simply because the lighter red is faded, but overall i would not go down too much in the shade unless it's a cool tone.

sumidha
July 12th, 2014, 05:32 PM
The darker red really brings out your eye color. As you probably know if you've already been researching henna, you can totally start out with a lighter red and darken it up with multiple applications, if you're not sure how red you want to go. :)

xoChesleyy
July 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I think the darker red looks the best on you. But in the end, you should choose the one that makes you feel the most confident! They all look great, though.

Loviatar
July 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I think they're all good! Dark red is my favourite though.

I love the tiny dog!

spidermom
July 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Swimming upstream as usual, but my first thought was that the dark red REALLY washes you out.

Annibelle
July 12th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I like them all, but I think that between the reds, the second looks best. At first glance, I thought the darker looked just as good, but I think it's just not as flattering for your skin tone. That being said, I don't think you can really go wrong either way. You'll look beautiful no matter what!

woodswanderer
July 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM
I would do lighter red, but maybe a bit more copper in the mix.

kitana97
July 12th, 2014, 08:18 PM
You look a forest fairy in the first two picture sets! I really like both of the reds - the darker is more striking while the lighter is more subtle.

sugarpixie10988
July 12th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone! I'm still going to wait awhile to mull things over, but it's nice to collect various opinions.

The darker red really brings out your eye color. As you probably know if you've already been researching henna, you can totally start out with a lighter red and darken it up with multiple applications, if you're not sure how red you want to go. :)

Great idea! I don't know why this didn't occur to me before haha.

hairpleasegrow
July 12th, 2014, 11:14 PM
You have a beautiful face and features, I don't think it matters what colour your hair is. My vote is for natural because it is low maintenance. The red is striking too though !

Adiro
July 12th, 2014, 11:45 PM
My opinion probably does not matter, but I really think that you should stay natural!!!! You are so very pretty and your hair being lighter makes your beautiful eyes and your smile stand out. I actually feel that your natural hair compliments you the best......
you will loose some of this natural charm if you turn red, and that being said, I believe you should start LIGTHER ( it's at least closest to natural tone) and go darker later.... it is easier to go dark than to turn back lighter later, if you dont like it.
I would advise trying red with a temporary rinse before you commit wiht henna, henna is very permanent and difficult to remove. That way you can "test drive" some colors before you change your long blonde hair for good

mariakatija
July 13th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I really like your lighter red ( am I the only one?!) and natural blonde!

Feathered
July 13th, 2014, 02:27 AM
I am always a big fan of natural, but if you're going to go red, I would go with the lighter of the two. The darker red seems to wash you out-in my unprofessional opinion. Whatever you choose I'm sure it will look very pretty on you. Love the puppy and the dragon, btw.

rohirrrims
July 13th, 2014, 02:57 AM
I love all the reds haha!
Well with henna you will get orange/copper first on your natural colour, and then you build it up to a darker red if you want to. That is what I did with henna on my bleached hair.
You probably won't get straight up deep red on blonde on one application of henna, so you'll start off a lighter orangey red and build it up deeper after every application (then when you reach a colour you like you can do roots only!)

StellaKatherine
July 13th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Oh game of thrones Sansa red!!! You could go that :crush:

http://www.redcarpetnewstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sansa-stark-game-of-throens-season-3-interview.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=137082555 4516

martyna_22
July 13th, 2014, 04:39 AM
I voted dark red, it looks really nice. And as for StellaKatherine's advice, I definitely think it's achievable with henna (+ maybe cassia). With my blondette I got something slightly darker, so yay for henna :) You could always go for this shade, and if you don't like it, keep making applications, so they build up to a darker, richer red.
There's also the benefit of henna being more permanent than commerical dyes, and strenghtening hair, so I really recommend it :)

StellaKatherine
July 13th, 2014, 04:53 AM
I keep on thinking myself to go red or not to god. I would go red if I would be sure the red undertone on my face wouldn't only look even more red than normally because of the hair... :hmm:

sugarpixie10988
July 13th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Oh game of thrones Sansa red!!! You could go that :crush:

http://www.redcarpetnewstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sansa-stark-game-of-throens-season-3-interview.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=137082555 4516

Oooo, I love that! I may try out another semi-permanent dye with more orangey tones to try to match that to see how I like it as well. So many options!

kitcatsmeow
July 13th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I like both shades of red. Maybe shoot for the darker since red fades (unless your henna'ing?)

lapushka
July 13th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I don't think your natural color washes you out, either. Au contraire, it's a very nice shade of blonde. It would be a shame to dye over that! :)

Johannah
July 13th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I'd go for the darker version if you want to dye it, but IMHO I like your natural color better. It's so lovely!

Lyv
July 14th, 2014, 09:05 AM
If you're dead set on having red hair I would start with the lighter red and build up if you decide you'd prefer it darker. IMHO I think the blonde suits you more :)

Crumpet
July 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I also prefer the natural blonde and I think it washes you out less than the reds do. Its your hair though, so my suggestion would be to do as a few others have said and to slowly build up your henna red over time to see what you like. Nightblooming makes henna and cassia blends that you could look into. I've been doing her cassia treatments and I love them. She has a strawberry blonde one that you could start with and then move up to more red if you like.

The-Ghost-OfYou
July 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM
WOW! Your hair is stunning! The dark red would definitely suit you while the lighter red would make you look a little washed out.